riviera74

Has anyone seen the new XTS commercials?

68 posts in this topic

riviera74    182

It seems to me that the new XTS commercials I have seen in the last week or so emphasize CUE and the interior as opposed to any semblance of performance.

Here are a few videos via YouTube for you to judge for yourself.

ClassyEldo    1

The XTS ads appear well done, in my opinion. I think the XTS should emphasize luxury and contemporary features--the high quality interior and the ease of using CUE infotainment. There is quite an emphasis on safety features, too. There will be time to develop ride and performance ads relative to the XTS in the future.

ocnblu    772

I think the ads are pretty good. I don't believe Cadillac is positioning the XTS as a performance car, I think the entertainment factor in this car will be the gadgets and that's it, really.

dfelt    1,861

For this line of car, I think they hit the advertising on the head. This should be about luxury, ease of use and comfort. I believe they have nailed it for the demographic of Customer.

smk4565    350

It is good that they highlight CUE, it is all this car has to highlight, but I don't think the typical Cadillac buyer is of the iPad generation. And I know Cadillac wants to get the iPad generation into their showrooms, but I don't think these ads will do it. So they still need to draw in the loyalists, which these ads don't do as much. Interesting how they mention the E-class in the first ad, is that the XTS's main competition? And the E-class has a laundry list of things the XTS doesn't.

It is good that they highlight CUE, it is all this car has to highlight, but I don't think the typical Cadillac buyer is of the iPad generation. And I know Cadillac wants to get the iPad generation into their showrooms, but I don't think these ads will do it. So they still need to draw in the loyalists, which these ads don't do as much. Interesting how they mention the E-class in the first ad, is that the XTS's main competition? And the E-class has a laundry list of things the XTS doesn't.

That is odd they would mention the E-class...the XTS' main competition is the ES and MKS, I would think.

MKS yes, but XTS is out of the ES price and options range.

Same formula, though...FWD V6 on a platform shared w/ mainstream models..both have about the same wheelbase, the XTS has longer overhangs.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

That means the 7-series and G8 are totally competitors then...

No...but the ES and XTS are more similar than different. The ES is the only Lexus the XTS is comparable to, since the GS and LS are RWD.

Drew Dowdell    5,159

Just because it is the only FWD Lexus doesn't make them equivalents. Using that same logic, the G8 is still a 7-series fighter because it was the only RWD Pontiac sedan.

The ES is a Lacrosse competitor. The XTS is a whole class above those two based on technology and options. The XTS has Magnaride, a limited slip rear differential on AWD models, CUE, a vastly better interior (the new ES didn't move the ball forward at ALL), the wheelbase of the XTS is exactly half way between the E-class and ES. The ES isn't even using Direct Injection engines yet.

the wheelbase of the XTS is exactly half way between the E-class and ES.

Not quite..the XTS wheelbase is 0.6 longer than the ES, 1.4 inches shorter than the E class.

Just because it is the only FWD Lexus doesn't make them equivalents. Using that same logic, the G8 is still a 7-series fighter because it was the only RWD Pontiac sedan.

Wrong. The G8 and 7 series weren't comparable because BMW and Pontiac weren't comparable. BMW and Cadillac are comparable brands, just as Lexus and Cadillac are comparable brands (both premium brands). But the XTS doesn't compare to anything at BMW or Mercedes because of the mainstream FWD platform. The Lincoln MKS, ES, maybe Volvo S80 and Acura RL are the competitors in it's niche.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing them in person. Just got a postcard from the local Caddy store introducing the XTS (shown in black on black).

balthazar    1,998

^ Buyers don't care about FWD / RWD. They also generally don't know which their cars feature.

They MIGHT care a bit more on AWD vs. non-AWD, tho, THAT they can comprehend (usually).

• Upvote 1

^ Buyers don't care about FWD / RWD. They also generally don't know which their cars feature.

They MIGHT care a bit more on AWD vs. non-AWD, tho, THAT they can comprehend (usually).

That's just ignorance.

• Upvote 1

Drew Dowdell    5,159

Most buyers don't even know that engines can be turned 90 degrees. All they know is from their Mickey Mouse cartoons growing up what an engine might look like. Most 1-series drivers thought they were buying a FWD car!

smk4565    350

The ES is a Lacrosse competitor. The XTS is a whole class above those two based on technology and options. The XTS has Magnaride, a limited slip rear differential on AWD models, CUE, a vastly better interior (the new ES didn't move the ball forward at ALL), the wheelbase of the XTS is exactly half way between the E-class and ES. The ES isn't even using Direct Injection engines yet.

I don't think the ES is really a LaCrosse competitor. The LaCrosse is $30,000, the 2013 ES350 is $38,000 (estimated), and the XTS is $45,000. The LaCrosse isn't up-market enough, nor does it have a true luxury badge to really compete with the ES head on. Likewise the ES is a bit smaller and cheaper than the XTS. I can however see people cross shopping the ES350 against a high end LaCrosse or base XTS. It is like shopping vanilla ice cream from Breyers, Haggan Daas and Ben and Jerry's, it is basically all the same, just different package and price.

The Toyota Avalon actually carries a higher price tag than the LaCrosse, I see that as Buick's competition. Of Lexus models, the ES350 is closest to the XTS, and I don't really see the XTS competing too directly with any German sedan. MKS is very similar in size and pricing.

• Upvote 1

Most buyers don't even know that engines can be turned 90 degrees. All they know is from their Mickey Mouse cartoons growing up what an engine might look like. Most 1-series drivers thought they were buying a FWD car!

Again, that is just ignorance on the part of consumers. The blind acceptance of transverse engine FWD mediocrity is part of the dumbing down of society.

hyperv6    774

This is a car that is a bridge from the past to the future for some Cadillac owners.

It mixes some of the old from the DTS with the new features Cadillac will supply to new models.

Also the fact that when this car was concieved before they got the bail out. Once bailed out GM could move their eyes to the goal they really wanted not just what they could afford.

SInce it was pretty much done and an LTS is far off they will use it for extra income vs dead showroom space till other models are ready. In time the XTS will play the Captiva card and take the resale fleet bullet that will be spared from the ATS and CTS.

Lincoln is doing mostly XTS like cars because they can not afford to invest much with as much money as they are pumping into the Ford line. They chose to fix Ford first and then Lincoln. Even now the LIncoln people are fighting for the new Mustang platform for their own use as they are even tired of waiting for the funding to come to them. They know they may not make it if they are left to hang out to dry too long.

The XTS is not a peformance car, it is not a Euro car and it is pretty much in a class of it's own for now. It could be transformed later or replaced as time will tell.

The thing that gets me is that the XTS has a wheelbase almost 2 inches shorter than the CTS and is barely 0.4 inches wider. That is so wrong...a shortcoming of using the weak FWD Epsilon II platform, I guess..being above the CTS, it should have a considerably longer wheelbase and be several inches wider..the old DTS was better in that respect.

• Upvote 1

ocnblu    772

Put in those terms, I do not see the XTS as "above" the CTS. If anything, it is at best lateral, if not downhill slightly. It's just different and not better.

• Upvote 1

smk4565    350

Put in those terms, I do not see the XTS as "above" the CTS. If anything, it is at best lateral, if not downhill slightly. It's just different and not better.

Although Cadillac is charging $10,000 more for an XTS than a CTS. And if they increase the CTS $10,000 in price, what does that do to CTS sales, and what happens when 2 cars with the same price are on the same showroom floor. That strategy didn't bode well for the DTS and STS.

• Upvote 1

True, maybe above in terms of the brand heirachy...i.e. ATS->CTS->XTS. The way the STS and DTS were above the CTS. I agree, though, with the narrowness, short wheelbase, and inferior platform, it's definitely more parallel and in it's own track, like the ES is separate from the IS->GS->LS heirarchy.

smk4565    350

Also the fact that when this car was concieved before they got the bail out. Once bailed out GM could move their eyes to the goal they really wanted not just what they could afford.

So basically (to steal a line from The Dark Knight), the XTS isn't the flagship they deserved, but the flagship they needed right now.

So basically (to steal a line from The Dark Knight), the XTS isn't the flagship they deserved, but the flagship they needed right now.

Yeah...at some point, though, GM can't keep using bankruptcy as an excuse..they have to strive for world-class excellence for Cadillac or else be content to compete w/ Lincoln.

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.