Commercial Vans -- The Next Big Thing?

Interesting article here about commercial vans being the next "big thing" in the marketplace. Can't say that we haven't already discussed this topic here, but in the article there's an interesting picture that has caught my attention. Ford will be bringing over the larger Transit to replace the Econoline model, and if it came directly as this:

Ford-Transit-Custom-artists-sketch-2-1024x640.jpg

I think I'd be tempted to change over to Ford for my next family hauler and give the wife what she wants (a minivan).

Can't wait to see where this new market goes!!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Interesting, I have never been a van person, but I am excited to see where the vans go as I personally think they have become stale over the last 10 years.

Yes I have decried the new Escape for looking like a Ford car instead of a Ford truck, although that opinion may be waning a bit. However, the Kinetic Design full-size van rendering above is surprisingly cool. The Transit Custom photograph at the article is cool enough. This Ford could singlehandedly revolutionize the fullsize van market in the US (and it might have to with that ugly-ass Fiat/Ram monstrosity coming), if it shows up looking like that. I've gotta hand it to Ford, they know what they're doing with trucks... now where's our new compact pickup truck?

The Fiat thing might be fugly, but so was the Sprinter, and commerical outfits bought them in spades. The Fiat will probably get a decent amount of sales out of curiosity.

GM had better have something up its sleeve for this market segment. Passenger vans. cargo vans, and cutaways do generate a lot of sales and they'd be foolish to just solder on with with the Express/Savanna.

Well yup, but don't you think the Sprinter is considerably less ugly than the Fiat? Nothing a complete face transplant can't fix, I guess. And problem: aren't GM's Euro fullsize vans a joint venture with somebody like Renault or something? I will need to read up on that.

the new ford van looks amazing. I have already seen a bunch of the new Nissan vans in service already. Ford needs to protect their share and updating the van would be perfect. Ideally they should introduce the new van and sell them concurrently with the current one for a period of time to not shock the customer base.

9 and 13 passenger full sizers updated and for customization would be huge. AWD should be on the option sheet.

Why ditch the Econoline when it is by far the best-selling RWD fullsize van in North America? Maybe sell the new one alongside the Econoline to gauge interest, but replace it? No.

Econoline (er, E-Series) is nearly impossible to update without tearing it down and starting over.

Why ditch the Econoline when it is by far the best-selling RWD fullsize van in North America? Maybe sell the new one alongside the Econoline to gauge interest, but replace it? No.

The current Econoline is 20 years old... as part of the 'One Ford' plan, they want a common van for North America, Europe, and other markets..

In looking at the 2 pics Roger posted- I like the drawing, and mostly what swings the needle for me is the large rims; changes the proportions. The photo is a straight-up match to the drawing (rim size aside), but somehow the front end is too busy, too 'assembled' rather than 'carved from a solid', and the needle swings back the other way for me.

So the white one above is a pic of what the 2013 European Transit will look like.. I wonder if they will butch it up for the US market w/ a big chrome grille and giant Ford badge to look more like the current Econoline..

In looking at the 2 pics Roger posted- I like the drawing, and mostly what swings the needle for me is the large rims; changes the proportions. The photo is a straight-up match to the drawing (rim size aside), but somehow the front end is too busy, too 'assembled' rather than 'carved from a solid', and the needle swings back the other way for me.

+1 I totally agree with you!

2013_ford_transit_custom_cargo_van_front_three_quarters_view_white.7r5lfflk170oc4kc0cksogo0c.a5fuq7lrqzkgc0ccw4ss08gso.th.jpeg

Ford-Transit-Custom-artists-sketch-2-1024x640.jpg

I like the Ford Fusion rims on the artwork version.

I could so see the white van with a Waterbed inside, mini bar and some funky custom window in the rear upper quarter panels on both sides and then a funky Graphics art sprayed on the outside of the van.

Making an Ultimate Love Machine!!! :D