Industry News: What Brands Are Saab Owners Turning To?

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

September 4, 2012

With Saab officially bankrupt and its assets sold off, owners of Saab vehicles are now wondering where they should go for their next vehicle.

Polk recently released a new study which looked at what former Saab owners now own. The study uses the Polk Disposal Loyalty Methodology, which looks what owners are selling whenever a new car is bought.

The study found that Saab owners are moving to a wide variety of manufacturers. Honda is at the top, getting 7.2%. Volkswagen isn't far behind, taking 7%. Audi and Toyota tie for third, both getting 6.3%. Chevrolet rounds out the top five.

Source: Polk

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

VW has a lot of the funkiness of SAAB without a lot of the blandness or headaches of the last several generations of SAAB products. I would rather have a CC than any of the later SAAB stuff.....

One thing is for sure...SAAB ain't comin' back....which is sad, really. Before GM took them over, the 900 Turbo was a great car. Heck, I still lust after those, and they have been out of production for a long time. Had some of the uniquye SAAB DNA been able to be kept alive....I may well have one in the driveway now.

And as much as I would cross the Pacific in a leaky rowboat with one oar to give CSPEC a hard time....Dammit man...I miss SAAB!

I do not miss SAAB. My mom had a 1995 SAAB 9000 CSE that I recommended because I had a summer job at that dealership at the time (Said dealership was shuttered in 2009.). That 9000 CSE was little more than a piece of junk. Worse yet, when the dealer shop found that there was a major engine problem, it was sent back to Sweden never to return. I have hated SAAB ever since. Good riddance. Instead of buying SAAB in 1990, GM should have corrected their financial and product issues instead!

I'm surprised. Buick should market to Saab owners directly. The Regal 2.0t is about the closest in spirit as you can get to the 9-3, the Regal just needs to gain the other body styles of wagon and convertible. The 9-5's closest kin is the XTS, but I don't see 9-5 owners (all three of them ) making that sort of jump.

I do not miss SAAB. My mom had a 1995 SAAB 9000 CSE that I recommended because I had a summer job at that dealership at the time (Said dealership was shuttered in 2009.). That 9000 CSE was little more than a piece of junk. Worse yet, when the dealer shop found that there was a major engine problem, it was sent back to Sweden never to return. I have hated SAAB ever since. Good riddance. Instead of buying SAAB in 1990, GM should have corrected their financial and product issues instead!

I totally agree, GM should have spent the money on cleaning up their own house and it might have not only kept them out of Bankruptcy but also allowed them to get to better products sooner.

SAAB was the biggest black hole anyone could have purchased. It should have died far sooner than it did.

I've had twwo SAAB's and plan to drive my car into the ground. My current SAAB had been the best car I have ever owned. I work at GM and although the current Verano and Regal are nice cars, they don't appeal to me enough for my cash.

If I had to replace my car now, the ld Subaru could of been considered, but I'd buy a Golf. Depending on my mood, I would go with the TDI or the GTI. #1 option, manual transmission.