SAAB News: NEVS Starts 9-3EV Production in China

The old SAAB 9-3 has risen from the dead! The platform, now owned by National Electric Vehicles Sweden (NEVS) is being used as the basis for a "new" electric vehicle.  The 9-3EV has gone into production in Tianjin China in a factory that can assemble up to 50,000 units a year. Further manufacturing facilities are being set up in Trollhättan, Sweden and a new facility in Shanghai China.

Back in January, Evergrande Groupe, an investor in Faraday Future, purchased a 51% stake in NEVS for $930 million.  Evergrande is being tight lipped about the cars and no details have yet been released for range, power, battery size, or even On Sale dates.

View full article

I like the look of this car. I wonder if they will go in-wheel hub motors since it is an existing ICE platform. Gonna be very interesting to see how they do the EV power train in this old / new car.

https://www.nevs.com/en/

They are sure secretive on their web site to give any info about their power train or any other car info. So grey. Weird

It's aged pretty well. I wish they could do the 9-5 also.  That was a handsome and unique looking sedan. 

No, I don't think they'll do wheel hub motors. It's probably just an electric setup to the front wheels and batteries in the trunk/fuel tank area. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's aged pretty well. I wish they could do the 9-5 also.  That was a handsome and unique looking sedan. 

No, I don't think they'll do wheel hub motors. It's probably just an electric setup to the front wheels and batteries in the trunk/fuel tank area. 

WOW, Guess this answers their electric Power train.

https://www.proteanelectric.com/nevs-evergrande-acquires-british-automotive-technology-company-protean-electric/

NEVs has bought Protean Electric, world leader in in-wheel hub motors. Seems they will use their tech through out their auto line up.

https://www.proteanelectric.com/nevs-evergrande-acquires-british-automotive-technology-company-protean-electric/

It will for sure give them plenty of room for battery packs and a very solid AWD Powertrain.

EXCITEMENT! :metal:

I just hope they build a CUV / Truck ASAP! :truck:

They aged well because you never see them on the road, there are so few out there it is like it never existed.  

They better price these cheap because I can't imagine a 10+ year old 9-3 with some batteries stuffed in it is anywhere near as good as a Tesla Model 3.  Unless they are selling these at less than $35k with a 200+ mile range this is dead on arrival.

• 1 year later...
On 7/9/2019 at 11:30 PM, daves87rs said:

Still looks better than some of the EVs I’ve seen...

Like most have said- it aged pretty well...

Yes, it did. 

• Agree 1