99camaroSS

Where would GM be without UAW

52 posts in this topic

By now you all may have picked up on the fact that i refresh my leftlanenews.com about every 30 seconds, one of their latest postes is a review of where GM would be right now without the UAW, it is a great read you all should check it out.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/21/whe...ithout-the-uaw/

here are a few excerpts

Third, without the UAW, GM would have an average unit cost per automobile close to that of non-union Toyota. Toyota makes a profit of about $2,000 per vehicle, while GM suffers a loss of about $1,200 per vehicle, a difference of $3,200 per unit. And the far greater part of that difference is the result of nothing but GM’s being forced to deal with the UAW. (Over a year ago, The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that “the United Auto Workers contract costs GM $2,500 for each car sold.”)

Eighth, without the UAW, GM would not now have pension obligations

which, if entered on its balance sheet in accordance with the rule now being proposed by the Financial Accounting Standards Board, will leave it with a net worth of minus $16 billion

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/21/whe...ithout-the-uaw/

***** No offense to any UAW members intended by posting this article

Edited by 99camaroSS

Guest Josh

Management signed on the same dotted line as Union brothers and sisters all over the United States. Nobody is to blame but management.

i wouldnt go as far to say that no one is to blame but management but i do believe that the UAW and Management share equal repsonisblility, UAW for it demands and Management for its lunacy in signing off on the contracts

Edited by 99camaroSS

Management signed on the same dotted line as Union brothers and sisters all over the United States. Nobody is to blame but management.

What choice did management have? Don't sign and get hit with a crippling strike? We'll see what happens in Sept. 07.

Let's just reevaluate your statement, oh, say five years from now?

Shall we?

:yes:

I don't think the Union is going to be nearly as strong after Sept. '07. We shall see though...

You can't get blood from a stone, the leaders of the UAW are smart enough to realize it. They, and the domestics will negotiate their way back to reality, otherwise it is lose, lose. A soft landing is what the UAW needs to engineer for its members as the domestic industry is in freefall until these issues are resolved. I am certain that they will be.

Let's just reevaluate your statement, oh, say five years from now?

Shall we?

The Union does'nt go anywhere without taking GM with it. You must be saying Bancruptcy is certain.

Edited by Ghost Dog

There will always be more companies, but once the union is gone, I doubt it's coming back. Without the automakers, the union would be pretty much extinct. If the carmakers go down, I'd be planning to move away from Michigan in a hurry.

No, never blame the union that held the management's feet to the fire by threatening to strike...

there is plenty of blame to go around.... both sides can share it.

Pointless. Since the Union is'nt going anywhere.

That's ok, plants can still be built in Mexico......

I guess you could say the jobs are going somewhere....

That's ok, plants can still be built in Mexico......

I guess you could say the jobs are going somewhere....

They can sell em in mexico to. Because Protectionism is coming to . The Big T TARIFFS!!

See How many GM cars those three dollar an hour mexicans buy. :rotflmao:

They can sell em in mexico to. Because Protectionism is coming to .  The Big T  TARIFFS!!

See How many GM cars those three dollar an hour mexicans buy. :rotflmao:

Not gonna happen. The rest of the country doesnt care about the Union, we just want great cars. The only place that really matters is Michigan. The other 49 states dont care.

Not gonna happen. The rest of the country doesnt care about the Union, we just want great cars. The only place that really matters is Michigan. The other 49 states dont care.

See what happens when politicians start running on anti outsourcing platforms. :yes:

No, never blame the union that held the management's feet to the fire by threatening to strike...

there is plenty of blame to go around.... both sides can share it.

:yes:

Both sides make some dumb moves. Now they have to deal with the cards they dealt each other and come up with something, and something that works.

See what happens when politicians start running on anti outsourcing platforms. :yes:

They wont be voted in? Get out of Michigan, the rest of the country doesn't care. This arguement has been played up for the past 30 years, and it's just getting weaker every year that passes.

Not paying attention. tsk, tsk.

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/...0604120160.html

The U.S. midterm elections this autumn will likely fan protectionism even further. From cars to consumer goods of every kind, foreign imports are growing. American citizens, who are worried about their future, can easily support protectionism on grounds of unfair foreign business practices or national security.

Edited by Ghost Dog

What the hell is Asahi? Please, get out of here with your protectionist garbage. The general public doesn't care if a few thousand non-skilled labor move overseas. At least, not enough to try and stop it. And the intelligent ones actually support it, since they know that, in the end, its beneficial for the country.

No matter which side of the issue you are on, any intelligent person will realize that these one-sided trade imbalances can't continue. China is going to own more American treasury bills than any other entity very soon.

And then what?

Remember one thing: China is a totalitarian state. Economists pat themselves on the back that no foreign power would dare make a run on the U.S. dollar because it would only serve to plunge the world into economic chaos. Well, that may be true of democracies that have interest groups pulling in every direction.

What about a one-party state? With clarity and conviction, China could pull their entire country in one direction while the Western world plunges into chaos.

The perfect storm of spiralling energy costs and the American current account deficit could really take the wind out of America's sails. Throw in the billions every month that Iraq is costing and I am very afraid for 2007.

I just can't believe Washington is ignoring this issue. American manufacturers are jumping into bed with Beijing, but we know they are just going to copy our processes and then use them against us.

I am all for Free Trade, but it has to be two-sided. Trade with Europe is two-sided. Trade with South America is two-sided.

TRADE WITH ASIA IS NOT TWO SIDED.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.