Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

HHR - Liveable FAMILY car?

toesuf94

:chevy: Well C & G-ers, wondering if I can get some help from the crowd out there. My wife currently drives a '95 Yukon SLT 4door...13 MPG hog that it is. She likes the truck, but I don't like the $65+ per week in gas she is burning up just driving around town. She is in love with the HHR, and since I found out they withstand an accident pretty well, I was wondering if it would work for us.

We have two kids, both in booster seats, 4 and 6 years of age. My wife is a tiny thing, so the seat would not be too far back. No strollers to haul. Just going to be an around town kind of car.

Anybody out there in the same boat or that has gone down this path already?

Or should I just drop a LT1 into the Yukon and keep driving it...I figure if my Roadmonster Wagon can get 19 with the LT1, then the Yukon should do the same.

Any help here would be great...as would the near 30 mpg the HHr would bring with it.

Edited by toesuf94

Absolutely!

I'm 5'4" and found the HHR to be quite cavernous. Unless she needs the extra cargo carrying capacity of the Yukon, or the towing capability, by all means make the switch.

If you won't consider anything besides GM, I say go for it. The look pretty nice outside and inside. If you're open to other brands, I'd suggest looking at the PT Cruiser. More cargo room, nicer cabin, more fun to drive. Either one is pretty nice though. Personally, I'd take a PT Cruiser GT since it's got a turbo ^_^ .

Well, it sounds like a resounding 'yes' on all fronts...I took her to the dealer yesterday and had her sit in an LT2 Auto - she really liked it, then came up with a list of negatives that kind of threw me back a bit. Her biggest complaint was the lack of room over the Yukon - (duh!) and she felt insecure in something so low. Explained to her that my Corvette she is always stealing from me is lower...did not take the argument...We are going to rent one for a week and see how it fits for her. Stay tuned.

And, to say I have had bad luck with other auto makes would be an understatement. I love the PT Cruiser and always thought it was cool, just had bad issues with Chrysler in the past...and do not get me started on my family's issues with Fords; from complete front ends FALLING OFF of cars ( no BS!!!) to the Explorers that my mom drove that ALL had major issues from front wheels freezing up while driving to engines seizing to trannys failing. No GM has ever left us stranded...ever

i test drove an HHR last fall. its ok, nothing great, roomy, but the interior is claustrophobic and visibility is lacking due to the small windows and thick pillars.

I also drove an 06 PT Cruiser and I think its a tossup/preference thing. The thing that would tilt it the favor of the PT for me is the much better visibility.

You could try a Malibu Maxx....larger/safer and good power and good mpg.

or maybe you are a great Saab Sport Combi 9-3 prospect....IIHS best safety pick......

Here i could also plug the Equinox and if you weren't averse to Ford, get a Freestyle with CVT. Lots of room, and great mpg with the CVT and top in class safety. Owner reports typically get 20-30 mpg out of them, with a huge interior that's nearly unbeatable. Only downfall, dull to look at and a bit underpowered. You could improve your gas mileage 40-50% and get as much or more room out of it and still have top of the world safety....etc.

I haven't heard much compaining about the PT, it seems to be pretty reliable. I know someone who's owned it and they've never had any real issues with it.

Maybe you could rent a PT for a week and compare the experience?

Edited by Dodgefan

Yeah, you could give one of those a try too. Visibility might be an issue, but it sits higher than either the PT or the HHR, it also has lots of thoughtful features.

The Caliber is sort of ugly, go with a HHR. The Ecotec engines are among the best four banger on the market.

If you won't consider anything besides GM, I say go for it. The look pretty nice outside and inside. If you're open to other brands, I'd suggest looking at the PT Cruiser. More cargo room, nicer cabin, more fun to drive. Either one is pretty nice though. Personally, I'd take a PT Cruiser GT since it's got a turbo ^_^ .

Not sure if the PT is the best idea though, looking at the Neon crash results...

In contrast the Delta's a great platform for safety.

Not sure if the PT is the best idea though, looking at the Neon crash results...

In contrast the Delta's a great platform for safety.

NHTSA crash test scores for a PT Cruiser with side airbags come in at four stars for all frontal- and side-impact categories, except for rear side-impact protection, in which it earned a perfect five.

Seems pretty safe to me.

this is a bit of an oddball suggestion, but maybe you should check out a Cadillac SRX v6? that would at least get you 20-22 mpg I'd bet...or maybe not.

Rendezvouxs get good mileage but are quite dated.

For mpg, you could always get a Vibe and add the supercharger if you like but i am not sure what the Vibe's safety rating is.

I can't recommend the Ford Escape or Honda Element because neither of them get very good mpg with 4 cylinder.

:huh: the Caddy SRX V6 is on her short list as well. I just know how she drives...and the SRX is probably pricey to fix. They are running a lease deal on them though - $329/mo with 1300 down. That is a lot of car for the $$$ - and I do like the size. I bet the $329 would not give me the sunroof or the DVD system - which of course she would want in that class of car (who wouldn't?)

After I typed above I looked at the PT again...meh. Too many of them on the road and not much diff (to me) from the original to the 'new one' for me to jump on it. Nice car though. Not bashing it.

Regarding PT Cruiser:

My mom & dad have one. My mom likes it. However, my dad hates it. The thing is HORRIBLE on gas. Previously, they had a Buick Park Avenue with the 3800. The Buick got much better gas mileage.

Personally, I think the PT's engine is very loud and buzzy. I have no experience with the HHR, but if it were me, I'd definitely go with the HHR. Although, I'm not sold on the interior quality.