Ever feel bad for a car?

As car ethusiasts, have any of you ever felt bad for a car? Here's my little story:

Me and a friend went to this junkyard back in the fall to get a new HVAC control module (or whatever it's called) for my Dodge Shadow cuz the original one overheated. They had a few SHadows there, so that's why we chose that place. Sometime in January the wiring harness connector overheated again, melting the module again, but money has been very tight lately, so we were stuck without heat until last moneth. Last month, some other friends and I went to the same yard to get the same part (plus a new wiring harness, turns out corrosion on the harness caused the meltdown). Some of the Shadows that had been there in the fall were gone, probably crushed, although a Duster and a dark red Shadow were still there. A few new additions were there, including a base Sundance, a Shadow convertible (with only 64k miles on it), and a white Dodge Shadow ES coupe.

Most of the cars looked pretty banged up and ready for the junkyard, but the ES stood out from the rest. Whereas the other cars had been picked over for parts, the only things taken from this one was the hood release cable, the cupholder, and the radio. WHat is more striking is that the paint job was great. The paint still had it's glossy finish on it, and the only signs of it's age were a little peeling on the driver's side fender, and a little on the hatch. No rust, one small dent on the other fender, interior was in great shape, smelled like a normal car (not like mold), no stains, newer/nicer style gauges than mine, the optional tach (mine has that too), even had the factory wheels (painted white) and factory ground effects kit. The only options it didn't have were the power locks/doors, and the sunroof. I thought to myself "damn, this thing is in way better shae than my Shadow" (mine has a badly rusted driver's door on the bottom, some rust on the hood lip, some rust on the rear door on the driver's side, a little rust on the oustide of the hatch lip, but a lot of rust on the inside of the lip), dented fender, and faded paint. I kinda laughed at the irony, but at the same time I didn't have the heart to steal parts off it, so I took parts from the other Shadows.

SInce then I've been to the junkyard 4 more times: once to get a new headliner (cuz I was sick of my broken/saggy one), 2nd time was to get a power window regulator for my Dad's Shadow, which has power windows and a stripped gear, a 3rd time to get yet another HVAC control module cuz the one I salvaged was broken, and a 4th a new Sunroof for my Dad's Shadow off that Duster. I've mentioned/pointed out to a lot of people how that car doesn't look like it belongs in there, and most agree, since it's in such good shape. When I mentioned this to my gf, she said I should ask how much the car is, and if it's cheap maybe we could get it as a project car.

So today after I got my oil changed I called teh junkyard to ask for the pricing of a seatbely latch (that thing that's attached to the belt itself) and how much that white Shadow would cost to buy. To my dismay, he told me it had no title and they couldn't sell me the car. So sadly, it seems that poor car is destined to be picked apart and eventually crushed into bits :( It really sucks, cuz I would really have liked to have had it to work on.

I know it may sound silly to be making a big deal over an old economy car (a 94 actually), and for a while I didn't like Shadows, but when teh car was handed down to me as my first car, I learned that they are pretty fun to drive little cars that are great on gas and have a pretty nice interior. I've always wished mine had a turbo (it has a 2.5) and wider tires like the factory turbos got (as well as a speedo that went to 120, not 85 like mine does), but I still like my little car a lot, and I do my best to take car of it. I thought this white ES would have been a great project car, and one that could be saved from an untimely demise. I guess I was wrong though... :(

Guest YellowJacket894

Also, on a stretch of Highway 421 (a highway that spans a distance from...I'm thinking...some point in Georgia to maybe to the end of Ohio) that passes through a bordering county, there's a Pontiac LeMans -- a 71 or 72 model -- that's still in great shape, painted a nice shade of deep brown, that's setting in grass grown up to the hubcaps. The owners are stupid enough to let it decompose like that. Pity.

Also, conicidentally, there is a car lot that seems to sell nothing but classic cars just a few miles down the road. There's a '68 Firebird setting out there -- missing only a few trim pieces and painted a nice, slightly fading blue color -- I may try to buy this summer or fall and partially restore. (It needs little to nothing.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

I hate to see good cars rot away or end up in the scrapheat when they don't derserve it.

So...since the car has no title...there is no way to salvage it? I thought that's what salvage titles were for.

Yes, you could get a salvage title for it. However, they don't really want to sell it to you. They will make more money parting it out - and might even still have the title and told you they didn't to get you to give up. It's not worth the fight.

Yes, you could get a salvage title for it. However, they don't really want to sell it to you. They will make more money parting it out - and might even still have the title and told you they didn't to get you to give up. It's not worth the fight.

I guess you're right. Too bad it's tough to find a Shadow that's not a base model. I don't want a crummy 2.2 without a turbo, unpainted bumpers, no spoiler (Shadows need a spoiler to make them look good, they look bad without it), no CUPHOLDERS, no tach,no A/C and no center console. But alas, that's all I ever see for sale.

There is some jerk down the street from me who has a burgundy colored corvette thats either an 81 or 82 (I know, not the best year and the cross fire injection engine sucked, but it's still some prime history) that just sits in his driveway uncovered year round rusting away. He used to take care of it and drive it in the summer and cover it in winter, but not anymore. The worst part is that I live in Boston so the winter is brutal on a car and this things just going to rust into the ground...

Let me guess, the junkyard in question was Jack's in Billerica right? :)

Dude, I've "been there" a million times. There's a Junkyard I know

that has three 1950s Cadillac Limousines, two 1960s Cadillac

Hearses and two 1959 Buicks. One is a flat top and the other a

convertible!!!

or how about the 1968 Pontiac Firebird 326 convertible at Jacks a

few years back!?

I was at a junkyard (Parts Galore on Hoover and 8 mile) monday with a buddy. and there was a nice looking neon. and i just tor the car arpart like the dash and stuff leave all the stuff in the backseat and find another car to destroy.

But some cars i hate to see in there. I love to sit in cleaner cars and stab the take it apart. i go to the junk yard for fun even if i dont need somthing. For $1 you cant have any more fun. just walk through the rows of cars find one take it arpart and find another one. one sit there and do an engine tear down since you can do the hack job there. i only go there with 2 screwdrivers, socket set, Vice grips, and channel locks. people stare since there hack tools.

Let me guess, the junkyard in question was Jack's in Billerica right? :)

Dude, I've "been there" a million times. There's a Junkyard I know

that has three 1950s Cadillac Limousines, two 1960s Cadillac

Hearses and two 1959 Buicks. One is a flat top and the other a

convertible!!!

or how about the 1968 Pontiac Firebird 326 convertible at Jacks a

few years back!?

Nope, although I almost went there once. No, this junkyard is Lowell Used Auto Parts

There is some jerk down the street from me who has a burgundy colored corvette thats either an 81 or 82 (I know, not the best year and the cross fire injection engine sucked, but it's still some prime history) that just sits in his driveway uncovered year round rusting away.  He used to take care of it and drive it in the summer and cover it in winter, but not anymore.  The worst part is that I live in Boston so the winter is brutal on a car and this things just going to rust into the ground...

That Pontiac Firebird on your sig...there's an old red one rusting away in Methuen in some guys back yard. I drive past the house everyday. It's been there for years. I haven't looked recently, but I think it's still there. So you're a New Englander too eh? Sweet ^_^

As car ethusiasts, have any of you ever felt bad for a car?

*nods*

Oh my goodness yes.

Everytime I go by a junk yard.

And, more personally ... when my parents had to trade in their former 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. And, then, 18 years later, when I discovered that same car had been junked just weeks before I had sent to the IL Secretary of State for a title search for it :(.

Even more personally ... my former '88 MC LS ... should still be here, but it isn't.

*sighs*

What a "depressing" thread...he heh.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

CD Showcase.8p-11p central.04/28/06, www.wrmn1410.com

"There's just too much that time cannot erase " ... Evanescence ... 'My Immortal'

I'm the one that showed Sixty8 the junkyard of wonders he speaks of in an earlier post, so I can attest to the existence of each and every vehicle he stated was there and then some; can't believe you forgot the 1965 Pontiac Bonneville Navy ambulance! Junkyard really isn't even a fair term for this place as I prefer to consider it the world's greatest outdoor car museum. They crush new cars and let the old ones rest out of respect.

And for any of you fellow new englanders in the northern MA/southern NH area: anybody else seen the gorgeous blue on blue on white '76 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with factory t-tops and center console with swiveling bucket seats at Holland's Used Auto Parts in Billerica? I think that's the car in the immediate area that breaks my heart to see in the scrap pile the most. Even more than the burgundy on white on white with stainless steel roof '83 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz or triple bronze '79 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe in the back of Jack's.

I'm the one that showed Sixty8 the junkyard of wonders he speaks of in an earlier post, so I can attest to the existence of each and every vehicle he stated was there and then some; can't believe you forgot the 1965 Pontiac Bonneville Navy ambulance! Junkyard really isn't even a fair term for this place as I prefer to consider it the world's greatest outdoor car museum. They crush new cars and let the old ones rest out of respect.

And for any of you fellow new englanders in the northern MA/southern NH area: anybody else seen the gorgeous blue on blue on white '76 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with factory t-tops and center console with swiveling bucket seats at Holland's Used Auto Parts in Billerica? I think that's the car in the immediate area that breaks my heart to see in the scrap pile the most. Even more than the burgundy on white on white with stainless steel roof '83 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz or triple bronze '79 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe in the back of Jack's.

No I haven't seen it yet. Today I was at the junkyard again, for a new backseat ashtray that i broke accidentlally. I found a new addition to the yard. A first gen Intrepid, which was almost commpletely intact save for a corner headlight and the radio. There's a couple other intrepids, but they're in pretty rough shape. WHen I went to open the door I heard a chirp sound, which lead me to suspect the battery was still connected. SUre enough The lights were on in the car. I found the keys hanging on the truck and stuck them in the ignition. Lights came on but teh egine didn't turn over. When I popped the hood I noticed a huge deposite of corrosion one one of the terminals. I would have cleaned it off but I didn't have anything to try. It's just sad to see car like that tossed away. Did I mention a few weeks prior whenm I was there I saw a late 80's Chrysler that still started and went in drive? It looked like it needed rear springs but that's it. As for that white Shadow...well they dented the driver's door moving it, and they broke the mirror off it. Oh well...So very sad.

Nope, although I almost went there once. No, this junkyard is Lowell Used Auto Parts

My 1983 Volvo 240 (ex-demolition derby car) will be going to L.U.A.

very soon. They give $50 and tow it away themselves. That's where

I bought my clutchfan for my Datsun actually. $15. :)

...Junkyard really isn't even a fair term for this place as I prefer to consider it the world's greatest outdoor car museum. They crush new cars and let the old ones rest out of respect....

Which is why if I ever become filthy rich I will pay them like $20,000 for

that rotted out 1961 Fleetwood and tell em to keep up the great work. :)

ok.....

For us in the Lowell area....

Jacks SUCKS for the most part. Their prices are CRAZY. Thought I did get the fender thats on the Cobra now for like 40 bucks because they were all busy dealing with this group of....ahhem.....whats the politicly correct way to put it..... "Gangstah!" looking gentlemen (the "main" one having gold teeth) cause apparently they were literally just throwing stuff into the back of their Suburban or whatever it was without paying for it, then arguing with the guys there when they were caught. lol

Hollands is OK. We'll put it this way.... I dont feel bad about stealing stuff from there. They give you a fair price once and a while, but other times they rip you off big time.

Lowell Used Auto is great, other than the fact that its really small. I walked out of there last year with a MINT t-top bag, a MINT rear privacy screen thingy, a rare overhead console, and a few other little things for my Firebird for 15 bucks..... I was expecting to pay something like 40 or 50 bucks for all that stuff!!!!

ok.....

For us in the Lowell area....

Jacks SUCKS for the most part. Their prices are CRAZY. Thought I did get the fender thats on the Cobra now for like 40 bucks because they were all busy dealing with this group of....ahhem.....whats the politicly correct way to put it..... "Gangstah!" looking gentlemen (the "main" one having gold teeth) cause apparently they were literally just throwing stuff into the back of their Suburban or whatever it was without paying for it, then arguing with the guys there when they were caught. lol

Hollands is OK. We'll put it this way.... I dont feel bad about stealing stuff from there. They give you a fair price once and a while, but other times they rip you off big time.

Lowell Used Auto is great, other than the fact that its really small. I walked out of there last year with a MINT t-top bag, a MINT rear privacy screen thingy, a rare overhead console, and a few other little things for my Firebird for 15 bucks..... I was expecting to pay something like 40 or 50 bucks for all that stuff!!!!

Lowell Used Auto is also great because they don't check your toolboxes or pockets for any...ahem...extra items. Like for example, 2 seatbelt clips, or like 20 screws, or a relay switch. :lol: L.U.A is also great because they are one of the few places I know of that has Shadows. I called like 10 places and none of them had any (one said they crush them as soon as they get them). Their prices are usually good too. A riend of mine got a console lid for his Cavalier for like 10 bucks (or less, i forget exactly). I got a new headliner for my Shadow for 20 bucks, and my dad go a sunroof for 30.

Edited by Dodgefan

There's a junkyard right next to where I work. I've seen so many cars meet the crusher. I hate seeing so many Oldsmobiles and GM fullsizers in there. This week I spied a 2006 G6 sedan in crimson through the fence sitting there awaiting its fate, as well as a not so nice condition 80s Monte Carlo SS.

There's a junkyard right next to where I work.  I've seen so many cars meet the crusher.  I hate seeing so many Oldsmobiles and GM fullsizers in there.  This week I spied a 2006 G6 sedan in crimson through the fence sitting there awaiting its fate, as well as a not so nice condition 80s Monte Carlo SS.

A G6? Was it in an accident or something?

thats why i cant watch monter garage.or somtimes mythbusters.

Remember when the trashed an old Caddy and an Intrepid? sad times. But I like Mythbusters anyway. Monster Garage I don't mind cuz most of the cars they get are junk to start with, they usually make it better, and the newer ones look stock on teh outside.

Oh yeah, that car that I used to be able to start in the junkyard was a New Yorker

Remember when the trashed an old Caddy and an Intrepid? sad times. But I like Mythbusters anyway. Monster Garage I don't mind cuz most of the cars they get are junk to start with, they usually make it better, and the newer ones look stock on teh outside.

rember the 67 impala the fury.

on MG the El Camino one pissed me off.

Last winter I was working about 55 minutes from home, driving thru a rural area I used to frequent years back. The one road took me right past a 25-acre yard stuffed with vintage iron. My buddies & I had been there hundreds of times, knew every row.

This time I could see 'things were different': the site was far off the road but there were no more winks of chrome thru the trees.

Owner died and the widow had the yard completely crushed out in the late '90s, I found out from local sources.

Tons of great cars just gone- tremendously sad.

Last winter I was working about 55 minutes from home, driving thru a rural area I used to frequent years back. The one road took me right past a 25-acre yard stuffed with vintage iron. My buddies & I had been there hundreds of times, knew every row.

This time I could see 'things were different': the site was far off the road but there were no more winks of chrome thru the trees.

Owner died and the widow had the yard completely crushed out in the late '90s, I found out from local sources.

Damn, some peopel just don't understand cars. That is very sad.

Eeegads. That IS sad.

I probably don't want to know, but out of curiosity, do you know what all cars HAD been there?

CD Showcase.8p-11p central.04/28/06, www.wrmn1410.com

"Can you believe what a year it's been?" ... Savage Garden ... 'I Don't Know You Anymore'

I can remember many, but 25-acres of cars is a sh!t-load. A rough calculation comes up with 2000 cars; you're not going to ask me about Montes, are you? Sorry; I've never been a Chevrolet fan (tho there are a handful I like). A 1st gen MC is a nice car, but I would run, not walk past one to get to a '70-72 GP instead. Even AMC/Ramblers got more attention from me.

Here's 3 treasured pics from circa 1990:

Posted Image

This is Row #2. You cannot get any idea of the size here. There were about 28 rows, mostly organized by make. The black car in the left foreground was particulally rare: a '58 Buick Limited convertible, 1 of 839 built. Restored they are roughly $100,000, but sadly this one was already too far gone even 20 years ago.

The silver hardtop to the right was a '60 Invicta with factory air. I still recall the 2 stickers in the rear window: a waving 48-star U.S. flag and a white on blue rectangle: "This car equipped with Buick AIR CONDITIONING".

Posted Image

This here was a '57 Pontiac Super Chief 4-dr hardtop. Both my grandfather and my father-in-law had '57s- unfortunately both long gone before I 'arrived' or I'd own them now. Gorgeous machine. Brake pedal had "BRAKE" stamped in the stainless trim, which is not unique, but the "POWER" stamped into the gas pedal was. Attached quite differently or this very car's pedal would be in my '59 Buick.

Posted Image

'59 Cadillac Sedan deVille. I used to be bigtime into these. Last time I saw it someone had cut the entire rear clip off: hopefully to repair a runner rather than make a couch out of it... tho as it turned out- I would take a couch rather than send the entire thing to the crusher.

Damn sweet memories of wandering this 'DisneyWorld' for hours on end. Would rather be there (junkyard) than most any other place I can think of.

As for the cars- sure: plenty of potential- lots of great project starts. Lots of horribly rotted stuff, too.

As for the yard- from what I was told the owner got sick & died in '96 and the widow wanted nothing to do with running a junkyard. She still lives there but instead of an old truck door with "Manchurs Truck & Auto Parts" on it (actually the door is still there- painted over with the address), a hand-painted sign advertisies 'chickens for sale'.

No improvement, IMO.

Folks, old time junkyards are disappearing rapidly, esp with the chinese demand for steel. Go now while you still have the chance- you will not regret an afternoon peeking into ghost lives gone by. Get to see some awesome automotive detailing up close, too.

I have a cool glass-covered Art Deco Pontiac Indian Head from the dash of a circa '46 on my dresser from there. A thousand stories....

Anybody know of any good junkyards in southern NJ or eastern PA? Many of the ones I visited in the last 10 years have disappeared. Once I was questioned why I had a camera and no tools... they thought I was an environmentalist (aka treehugger) trying to screw them about pollution! After telling them of my interest in cars and perserving at least pictures of the junkyard treasures, they did let me in. That was the last time I went "treasure hunting", and that had to be in '98 or '99.

Would've replied earlier, but I had my radio show Friday night ... and then a buddy of mine and I went up to Michigan ... the Michigan International Speedway ... for a gathering yesterday (Saturday).

I can remember many, but 25-acres of cars is a sh!t-load. A rough calculation comes up with 2000 cars; you're not going to ask me about Montes, are you?

*chuckles*

Nope.

And, yikes ... even those old photographs make me sad :(.

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I can’t take anymore" ... 3rd Eye Blind ... 'How's It Going To Be'

There's one called 'Friendship' on Rt 206 in the southern half of NJ- haven't been there but people have told me it's pretty good.

Other than that I'm more familiar with central Jersey yards than south.

Looking for anything in particular?

Hmm... I wonder if "Friendship" is also the autobody shop? I work not too far from there and pass by it often - I just assumed it wasn't open to the public seeing as how the autobody shop is the entrance.

Where else in central NJ are there junkyards open to the public? What I'm interested in is taking pics of old trucks, mainly GM but any other makes that interest me too. Plus if I find some trim parts (emblems, hubcaps, etc) it wouldn't hurt. TIA!

Anybody know of any good junkyards in southern NJ or eastern PA?  Many of the ones I visited in the last 10 years have disappeared.  Once I was questioned why I had a camera and no tools... they thought I was an environmentalist (aka treehugger) trying to screw them about pollution!  After telling them of my interest in cars and perserving at least pictures of the junkyard treasures, they did let me in.  That was the last time I went "treasure hunting", and that had to be in '98 or '99.

The first time I went to Lowell Used Auto Parts, me and a friend were gonna take some pictures, but they wouldn't let us in with the camera :(

Anybody know of any good junkyards in southern NJ or eastern PA?  Many of the ones I visited in the last 10 years have disappeared.  Once I was questioned why I had a camera and no tools... they thought I was an environmentalist (aka treehugger) trying to screw them about pollution!  After telling them of my interest in cars and perserving at least pictures of the junkyard treasures, they did let me in.  That was the last time I went "treasure hunting", and that had to be in '98 or '99.

There's a big one in Scanton, PA that you can see from I-81. I've never been there but it looks big from the highway.I love scrap yards and could spent a whole day wondering around looking at old cars. I love checking the mileage on them. There's a big one somewhere in Arizona and you can view all the cars they have on their internet site, I can't remember the name of it though, will try to find it.

Been there more times than I can count

I know exactly what you mean! I have felt ghosts while browsing for parts,

and thought of all those you loved and cherished certain cars...

Bought new, shined and loved....then they rot.

and what about those cigarettes with lipstick in the ashtray of a totalled

car....hmmmm :huh:

There is a junkyard near my house with a Forest Green 1970 Chevelle SS 454. It is missing the 454 but the paint inc. the white rally stripes and body are good. It has a little amount of rust and it is also missing the radio (there is a new one to be put in) and the A/C doesn't work. It also needs a transmission. It still has a vinyl top with one rip in it but it is minor. It even has the original rims. No rips in the seats, new exhaust, and many new parts. They weren't installed but they were there. It was in good shape because the guy was in the process of restoring it to original spec but he died and had no family to give it to. The owner of the junkyard said he might finish restoring it, but he may leave it to someone else. He is a blueoval guy so he goes after the Mustangs.

Edited by american_revolution_2005

There is a junkyard near my house with a Forest Green 1970 Chevelle SS 454. It is missing the 454 but the paint inc. the white rally stripes and body are good. It has a little amount of rust and it is also missing the radio (there is a new one to be put in) and the A/C doesn't work. It also needs a transmission. It still has a vinyl top with one rip in it but it is minor. It even has the original rims. No rips in the seats, new exhaust, and many new parts. They weren't installed but they were there. It was in good shape because the guy was in the process of restoring it to original spec but he died and had no family to give it to. The owner of the junkyard said he might finish restoring it, but he may leave it to someone else. He is a blueoval guy so he goes after the Mustangs.

I hope it gets restored, it'd be such a shame for it to spend its days in the junkyard.