Sign in to follow this  
Intrepidation

Ever feel bad for a car?

75 posts in this topic

As car ethusiasts, have any of you ever felt bad for a car? Here's my little story:

Me and a friend went to this junkyard back in the fall to get a new HVAC control module (or whatever it's called) for my Dodge Shadow cuz the original one overheated. They had a few SHadows there, so that's why we chose that place. Sometime in January the wiring harness connector overheated again, melting the module again, but money has been very tight lately, so we were stuck without heat until last moneth. Last month, some other friends and I went to the same yard to get the same part (plus a new wiring harness, turns out corrosion on the harness caused the meltdown). Some of the Shadows that had been there in the fall were gone, probably crushed, although a Duster and a dark red Shadow were still there. A few new additions were there, including a base Sundance, a Shadow convertible (with only 64k miles on it), and a white Dodge Shadow ES coupe.

Most of the cars looked pretty banged up and ready for the junkyard, but the ES stood out from the rest. Whereas the other cars had been picked over for parts, the only things taken from this one was the hood release cable, the cupholder, and the radio. WHat is more striking is that the paint job was great. The paint still had it's glossy finish on it, and the only signs of it's age were a little peeling on the driver's side fender, and a little on the hatch. No rust, one small dent on the other fender, interior was in great shape, smelled like a normal car (not like mold), no stains, newer/nicer style gauges than mine, the optional tach (mine has that too), even had the factory wheels (painted white) and factory ground effects kit. The only options it didn't have were the power locks/doors, and the sunroof. I thought to myself "damn, this thing is in way better shae than my Shadow" (mine has a badly rusted driver's door on the bottom, some rust on the hood lip, some rust on the rear door on the driver's side, a little rust on the oustide of the hatch lip, but a lot of rust on the inside of the lip), dented fender, and faded paint. I kinda laughed at the irony, but at the same time I didn't have the heart to steal parts off it, so I took parts from the other Shadows.

SInce then I've been to the junkyard 4 more times: once to get a new headliner (cuz I was sick of my broken/saggy one), 2nd time was to get a power window regulator for my Dad's Shadow, which has power windows and a stripped gear, a 3rd time to get yet another HVAC control module cuz the one I salvaged was broken, and a 4th a new Sunroof for my Dad's Shadow off that Duster. I've mentioned/pointed out to a lot of people how that car doesn't look like it belongs in there, and most agree, since it's in such good shape. When I mentioned this to my gf, she said I should ask how much the car is, and if it's cheap maybe we could get it as a project car.

So today after I got my oil changed I called teh junkyard to ask for the pricing of a seatbely latch (that thing that's attached to the belt itself) and how much that white Shadow would cost to buy. To my dismay, he told me it had no title and they couldn't sell me the car. So sadly, it seems that poor car is destined to be picked apart and eventually crushed into bits :( It really sucks, cuz I would really have liked to have had it to work on.

I know it may sound silly to be making a big deal over an old economy car (a 94 actually), and for a while I didn't like Shadows, but when teh car was handed down to me as my first car, I learned that they are pretty fun to drive little cars that are great on gas and have a pretty nice interior. I've always wished mine had a turbo (it has a 2.5) and wider tires like the factory turbos got (as well as a speedo that went to 120, not 85 like mine does), but I still like my little car a lot, and I do my best to take car of it. I thought this white ES would have been a great project car, and one that could be saved from an untimely demise. I guess I was wrong though... :(

Been there more times than I can count,Dodge.

And your first car is always special.

SHHH, don't tell anyone, but my first car was a Dodge too. :lol:

Been there more times than I can count,Dodge.

And your first car is always special.

SHHH, don't tell anyone, but my first car was a Dodge too. :lol:

lol ohyeah? what kind?

Guest YellowJacket894

I know of a junkyard where a Mach 1 Mustang in decent condition is quietly waiting to rust away...

I've been watching a '70-'72 Corvette convertible sit outside under a ratty old tarp since about 1997. Left them a note once- no reply.

Burns me up.

Guest YellowJacket894

Also, on a stretch of Highway 421 (a highway that spans a distance from...I'm thinking...some point in Georgia to maybe to the end of Ohio) that passes through a bordering county, there's a Pontiac LeMans -- a 71 or 72 model -- that's still in great shape, painted a nice shade of deep brown, that's setting in grass grown up to the hubcaps. The owners are stupid enough to let it decompose like that. Pity.

Also, conicidentally, there is a car lot that seems to sell nothing but classic cars just a few miles down the road. There's a '68 Firebird setting out there -- missing only a few trim pieces and painted a nice, slightly fading blue color -- I may try to buy this summer or fall and partially restore. (It needs little to nothing.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

I hate to see good cars rot away or end up in the scrapheat when they don't derserve it.

So...since the car has no title...there is no way to salvage it? I thought that's what salvage titles were for.

I hate to see good cars rot away or end up in the scrapheat when they don't derserve it.

So...since the car has no title...there is no way to salvage it? I thought that's what salvage titles were for.

Yes, you could get a salvage title for it. However, they don't really want to sell it to you. They will make more money parting it out - and might even still have the title and told you they didn't to get you to give up. It's not worth the fight.

There are state-dictated procedures for getting a (non-salvage) title, but you are far far better off using a title company. Salvage titles are looked upon as... undesirable in the used market.

Yes, you could get a salvage title for it. However, they don't really want to sell it to you. They will make more money parting it out - and might even still have the title and told you they didn't to get you to give up. It's not worth the fight.

I guess you're right. Too bad it's tough to find a Shadow that's not a base model. I don't want a crummy 2.2 without a turbo, unpainted bumpers, no spoiler (Shadows need a spoiler to make them look good, they look bad without it), no CUPHOLDERS, no tach,no A/C and no center console. But alas, that's all I ever see for sale.

There is some jerk down the street from me who has a burgundy colored corvette thats either an 81 or 82 (I know, not the best year and the cross fire injection engine sucked, but it's still some prime history) that just sits in his driveway uncovered year round rusting away. He used to take care of it and drive it in the summer and cover it in winter, but not anymore. The worst part is that I live in Boston so the winter is brutal on a car and this things just going to rust into the ground...

Let me guess, the junkyard in question was Jack's in Billerica right? :)

Dude, I've "been there" a million times. There's a Junkyard I know

that has three 1950s Cadillac Limousines, two 1960s Cadillac

Hearses and two 1959 Buicks. One is a flat top and the other a

convertible!!!

or how about the 1968 Pontiac Firebird 326 convertible at Jacks a

few years back!?

I was at a junkyard (Parts Galore on Hoover and 8 mile) monday with a buddy. and there was a nice looking neon. and i just tor the car arpart like the dash and stuff leave all the stuff in the backseat and find another car to destroy.

But some cars i hate to see in there. I love to sit in cleaner cars and stab the take it apart. i go to the junk yard for fun even if i dont need somthing. For $1 you cant have any more fun. just walk through the rows of cars find one take it arpart and find another one. one sit there and do an engine tear down since you can do the hack job there. i only go there with 2 screwdrivers, socket set, Vice grips, and channel locks. people stare since there hack tools.

Let me guess, the junkyard in question was Jack's in Billerica right? :)

Dude, I've "been there" a million times. There's a Junkyard I know

that has three 1950s Cadillac Limousines, two 1960s Cadillac

Hearses and two 1959 Buicks. One is a flat top and the other a

convertible!!!

or how about the 1968 Pontiac Firebird 326 convertible at Jacks a

few years back!?

Nope, although I almost went there once. No, this junkyard is Lowell Used Auto Parts

There is some jerk down the street from me who has a burgundy colored corvette thats either an 81 or 82 (I know, not the best year and the cross fire injection engine sucked, but it's still some prime history) that just sits in his driveway uncovered year round rusting away.  He used to take care of it and drive it in the summer and cover it in winter, but not anymore.  The worst part is that I live in Boston so the winter is brutal on a car and this things just going to rust into the ground...

That Pontiac Firebird on your sig...there's an old red one rusting away in Methuen in some guys back yard. I drive past the house everyday. It's been there for years. I haven't looked recently, but I think it's still there. So you're a New Englander too eh? Sweet ^_^

I can think of so many cars either in boneyards or at somebodys house that were neglacted/junked that I would like to have . It really is a shame and makes a true car guy feel bad .

I can think of so many cars either in boneyards or at somebodys house that were neglacted/junked that I would like to have . It really is a shame and makes a true car guy feel bad .

:yes:

As car ethusiasts, have any of you ever felt bad for a car?

*nods*

Oh my goodness yes.

Everytime I go by a junk yard.

And, more personally ... when my parents had to trade in their former 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. And, then, 18 years later, when I discovered that same car had been junked just weeks before I had sent to the IL Secretary of State for a title search for it :(.

Even more personally ... my former '88 MC LS ... should still be here, but it isn't.

*sighs*

What a "depressing" thread...he heh.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

CD Showcase.8p-11p central.04/28/06, www.wrmn1410.com

"There's just too much that time cannot erase " ... Evanescence ... 'My Immortal'

I'm the one that showed Sixty8 the junkyard of wonders he speaks of in an earlier post, so I can attest to the existence of each and every vehicle he stated was there and then some; can't believe you forgot the 1965 Pontiac Bonneville Navy ambulance! Junkyard really isn't even a fair term for this place as I prefer to consider it the world's greatest outdoor car museum. They crush new cars and let the old ones rest out of respect.

And for any of you fellow new englanders in the northern MA/southern NH area: anybody else seen the gorgeous blue on blue on white '76 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with factory t-tops and center console with swiveling bucket seats at Holland's Used Auto Parts in Billerica? I think that's the car in the immediate area that breaks my heart to see in the scrap pile the most. Even more than the burgundy on white on white with stainless steel roof '83 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz or triple bronze '79 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe in the back of Jack's.

I'm the one that showed Sixty8 the junkyard of wonders he speaks of in an earlier post, so I can attest to the existence of each and every vehicle he stated was there and then some; can't believe you forgot the 1965 Pontiac Bonneville Navy ambulance! Junkyard really isn't even a fair term for this place as I prefer to consider it the world's greatest outdoor car museum. They crush new cars and let the old ones rest out of respect.

And for any of you fellow new englanders in the northern MA/southern NH area: anybody else seen the gorgeous blue on blue on white '76 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with factory t-tops and center console with swiveling bucket seats at Holland's Used Auto Parts in Billerica? I think that's the car in the immediate area that breaks my heart to see in the scrap pile the most. Even more than the burgundy on white on white with stainless steel roof '83 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz or triple bronze '79 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe in the back of Jack's.

No I haven't seen it yet. Today I was at the junkyard again, for a new backseat ashtray that i broke accidentlally. I found a new addition to the yard. A first gen Intrepid, which was almost commpletely intact save for a corner headlight and the radio. There's a couple other intrepids, but they're in pretty rough shape. WHen I went to open the door I heard a chirp sound, which lead me to suspect the battery was still connected. SUre enough The lights were on in the car. I found the keys hanging on the truck and stuck them in the ignition. Lights came on but teh egine didn't turn over. When I popped the hood I noticed a huge deposite of corrosion one one of the terminals. I would have cleaned it off but I didn't have anything to try. It's just sad to see car like that tossed away. Did I mention a few weeks prior whenm I was there I saw a late 80's Chrysler that still started and went in drive? It looked like it needed rear springs but that's it. As for that white Shadow...well they dented the driver's door moving it, and they broke the mirror off it. Oh well...So very sad.

Nope, although I almost went there once. No, this junkyard is Lowell Used Auto Parts

My 1983 Volvo 240 (ex-demolition derby car) will be going to L.U.A.

very soon. They give $50 and tow it away themselves. That's where

I bought my clutchfan for my Datsun actually. $15. :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this