GM News: Rumorpile: General Motors To Turn To Aisin For Eight-Speed Transmission For A Year?

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 12, 2012

Motor Trend is reporting that General Motors and Aisin have come to an agreement dealing with transmissions.

The report says General Motors is working on eight-speed transmissions for longitudinal (RWD/AWD) and transverse (FWD/AWD) applications. A source tells the magazine that the eight-speed transmissions for longitudinal applications aren't quite ready.

The source goes onto say that General Motors have reached an agreement with Aisin to supply transmissions for one year. The transmissions would be likely used in the Cadillac ATS, and the upcoming Cadillac CTS and Chevrolet Corvette.

Source: Motor Trend

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Related Stories:

Ford and General Motors Sign An Agreement To Work Together On Transmissions

View full article

Gotta do what you gotta do, but I also wonder why not ZF? Perhaps a bigger question is how isn't their own ready yet when others had them years ago, but they can't let Cadillac go out there with 6-speeds when Hyundai, Chrysler, Jaguar, BMW and Audi have 8, and Mercedes is bringing 9 soon.

That is going to be the worst year ever for Cadillac...Aisin is a joke...

Could go either way, best year ever or worst. This tranny could be way better than what GM builds since it has already been out in other auto for a while.

Bigger issue is once they go to their own GM engineered tranny, how long will parts really be available for this one year off unit and ouch when you get an idiot mechanic who does not pay close attention to this and trys to fix it based on what is going on with the GM tranny.

I will wait and see as like I said, this could be amazing or a blow up.

Why not ZF? The 8-speed Sport Automatic in the current 328i I sampled is amazing. It shifts as quickly as a dual-clutch automated manual but without the occasional clunkiness at low speeds.

True if this one year use of tranny is a derivative of what BMW is using, then it should not have any problems. Course the programming will be very different so it will be interesting to see who GM does.

Forget Lexus, Panamera and Cayenne are equipped with 8 speed Aisins.

Aisin has worked closely with GM before, has a manufacturing facility in IN, and proving grounds in MI. and it is the largest manufacturer of transmissions in the world. It was also awarded as supplier of the year for 2006 by GM.

So then, this is a weak area in my mind, so what most people here are saying is a ZF tranny is built by the company called Aisins? I have heard many good things about ZF tranny's but never heard Aisins before so just want to make sure I have my tribal knowledge right! :P

I remember hearing the term "Aisin-Warner", I am not sure if Borg-Warner still exists or if Aisin bought them out and did away with the old name altogether.

Yes Aisin-Warner was a collaboration, but that has been long gone.

That is going to be the worst year ever for Cadillac...Aisin is a joke...

Could go either way, best year ever or worst. This tranny could be way better than what GM builds since it has already been out in other auto for a while.

Bigger issue is once they go to their own GM engineered tranny, how long will parts really be available for this one year off unit and ouch when you get an idiot mechanic who does not pay close attention to this and trys to fix it based on what is going on with the GM tranny.

I will wait and see as like I said, this could be amazing or a blow up.

Aisin has worked closely with GM before, has a manufacturing facility in IN, and proving grounds in MI. and it is the largest manufacturer of transmissions in the world. It was also awarded as supplier of the year for 2006 by GM.

I'm just basing my statement on my experience working with Aisin as a co-supplier for certain automotive projects...I would never want to own a vehicle with one of their transmissions in it...could be certain products though...maybe they are great at calibrating a trans for luxury/sport sedan type vehicles...

+1

Should work fine I think..