Old Car Mags

Camino LS6

i've got 24 years or so of motor trend and car and driver in my basement, along with several years of other publications.

it takes up about 6-8 lineal feet in my basement, in plastic bins, and currently is about 3 feet high. i have 2 years of each in a single bin and the bins are stacked.

i have had similar thoughts as you. I do have them pretty organized and in decent condition. But man, they just sit there.

In 15-20 years I might want to pull them out and look at them though.

I've got Motor Trends, Car and Drivers, Automobile Magazines, and Consumer Reports taking up lots of room. I've placed most of the older issues in plastic magazine files, but I also have stacks of magazines sitting around. I subscribed for Road and Track for only a few years, and I've dumped most of those. I still subscribe to MT, C/D, and Automobile, but I haven't even been opening up the most recent issues. These magazines are quickly becoming obsolete in a digital society.

I've switched my C/D, Road & Track and Automobile subscriptions to digital w/ Zinio. I still get paper subscriptions to Collectible Automobile and pick up Motorsport, Top Gear and Car occasionally. I've got 35 years worth of various magazines I've accumulated, I've bought magazine storage boxes from uline.com, they are great, hold probably 50 issues each.

So what does this mean, this "I just want them gone & don't want to mess with them'?

What titles do you have?

I have stuff from the '30s on up, both monthlies and club publications, plus over 6000 print ads. But I refer to my library frequently, a few times a week.

RE the so-called 'digital age'- that primarily works for present/future issues, and sometimes those 'go away' online.

Past stuff seldom gets scanned tho, so there it pretty much will never replace the vintage material.

So what does this mean, this "I just want them gone & don't want to mess with them'?

What titles do you have?

I have stuff from the '30s on up, both monthlies and club publications, plus over 6000 print ads. But I refer to my library frequently, a few times a week.

RE the so-called 'digital age'- that primarily works for present/future issues, and sometimes those 'go away' online.

Past stuff seldom gets scanned tho, so there it pretty much will never replace the vintage material.

I have a variety. Tons of Motor Trend, some of many others. Not organized in any way.

I get what you are saying, but I need to clean house.

I began collecting Motor Trend in the early 90's along with all brochures from the NY auto shows every April, but by the time I moved out when I was 17, I left my collection behind at my father's old apartment. It has since all been thrown out without my knowledge at the time when my father bought a new house. Thats an impressive collection Camino, I'm especially interested in the older ones from the 70's and 80's. I wish there was an easy way to catalog all of them for easy viewing online somehow before you get rid of them. It's a shame to see them possibly go to waste after all these years in storage, but i can understand your reasoning.

• 1 month later...

OK guys, if anyone local would like to have these magazines (and I mean ALL of them), you can have them free of charge.

I'd rather not deal with shipping, unless you want to handle it, and I want them gone soon, but I'd rather give them away than put them out for recycling.

I take the recycling to the end of the lane on thursday nights, so speak up before next thursday if you want them.

How did I miss this thread???

Man, I wish I had the time to come out and pick these up. My wife is on my case (has been for years) for the magazines and automobile brochures I have lying around, "doing nothing". I rarely revisit the mags, but every once in a while I grab an old brochure to look through it. In 2001 my parents moved and I lost my storage space for toys, magazines, and brochures. I was able to secure basement space at my sister's house, but it was a quarter of the size at my parents (my old bedroom!). I was only able to take another quarter of the stuff to the condo my wife and I were renting at the time. Many, many brochures & car mags from the '80s to '01 were put out for recycling - a very sad day indeed. I miss many of the Olds, Chevy & Cadillac brochures I once had from many a car show or dealership visit.

If at all possible, can you hold onto them a little longer? If so, I'd make the trek out to pick them up. I'm really interested in the ones with Pontiacs (that '81 Motor Trend with the 1981 Grand Prix is making me drool!).

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, seems a shame just to trash them.

I have a few old mags stretching back to the mid-90's, when I started really getting into cars (and not just Corvettes and Camaros). I have some form back when i was 15 or 16, and the'd been kept in my binder at school. the binder rings always got bent and tore up the first few outside pages so a few of them are ratty--including, unfortunately, the Motor Trend 50th Anniversary issue from 1998. :(

I do have some stretching back all the way to '94 though. most of the older ones are Road and Track, because I liked the side-view technical drawings.

Edited by Turbojett

uline magazine storage boxes are the bomb...I boxed up almost 5 years worth (since April '08) recently and took them off to my storage unit. Except for a couple, I've gone electronic on car mags and read them on my tabby.

uline

magazine storage boxes are the bomb...I boxed up almost 5 years worth

(since April '08) recently and took them off to my storage unit. Except

for a couple, I've gone electronic on car mags and read them on my

tabby.

I'm sure the cat's not too happy about that though.

Edited by Turbojett

• 3 weeks later...

Refresh my memory... how far in PA are you?

Is it 6 boxes total or 6 boxes of Pontiac-related?

I'd be real interested to add them to my 24 boxes of magazines, as my collection gets weak in the '80s and has a big hole in the middle of the '90s.

I'd need about a week or two to schedule a ride over to PA to pick them up, however.

Six boxes is just a guess, they aren't boxed up right now.

I am about 20 miles west of Philly.

I'm going to put them in storage bins today to get them out of my way, but you'll have to bring some boxes if you want them.

Once they are in the bins, I may grab a shot of them.

They are mixed, but mostly Motor Trend and Hot Rod with lots of others in lesser numbers.

Edited by Camino LS6

I have a bunch of boxes, so the bins aren't needed.

I'd be glad to take them off your hands, assuming nobody else hasn't asked for them. PM your address and best times to pick them up. Sat and Sun should be good days for me... maybe Fri or Mon... and we'll figure the best time for me to come over...

• 2 weeks later...

MmwhahahaHA! All your mags are belong to me! ;-)

Yeah, it was very cool to see Camino, Zora, his projects and the very cool barn in RL.

Then on the way back, it was nice to see that the other house still has a roof, fences and all the trees still standing after the big storm. 8-0