Wrangler?

Blake Noble

Nice, looks like a photoshop job to get people reaction to maybe having a Willy Edition. :P

Nope, that's a real special edition Wrangler that just recently debuted.

Neat...so is it a 'Willis' or a 'Willies' ? ;) (I've pronounced it as 'Willies' but it's apparently 'WIllis')

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Nice, looks like a photoshop job to get people reaction to maybe having a Willy Edition. :P

Nope, that's a real special edition Wrangler that just recently debuted.

Neat...so is it a 'Willis' or a 'Willies' ? ;) (I've pronounced it as 'Willies' but it's apparently 'WIllis')

I NEVER in my life ever heard it pronounced 'willis' until I saw it so on 'Fast & Loud', and I must've heard 100 car people speak it 'willies' prior to that. My mind is officially boggled if an authoritative sources states unequivocally that it is 'willis'. Vintage factory-produced film says it 'willies'.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Gives me the Willys! I sawr this elsewhere and I really like it. Seems like a good price for the package. I would take one in a heartbeat with the hardtop. I think my willy moved a little.

Edited by ocnblu

I look at it this way, Balthy... since the surname Willys and Willis are forms of each other, Willys founder John Willys likely did not go around calling himself "John Willies", but likely used "John Willis". Of course, show that to a nation of people who can barely read, and I'm sure it was commonly called "Willies" by the public... especially if you consider that many people probably never heard the name spoken properly in radio or TV advertising (mostly because Willys best years really predate TV and common radio ownership). After all, I'm sure if you ask around enough, there are people who never heard of Chevrolet, but think Chevys are great cars. (If you ever doubt ignorance, just look for Howard Stern's bit "Do you want to be a hundredaire" in which the contestants suffered over trying to determine the number of minutes in an hour.)

I had heard of the question of Willys pronunciation years before... but it was until Fast and Loud that it was pretty much confirmed for me. I'm shocked to have actually learned something from the show. I'm also shocked that Fast N' Loud seems to be the sole surviving car builder show.

So ... about this thread.

It's been about a year since I bought a later-model car, so that means it's time to change my underwear. The XJ has been gone for about a week now, but the simple truth is I was driving it far more than my Charger once I realized it was almost totally mechanically sound despite it's high mileage. I liked the fact I could keep it dirtier than I normally would any car I've owned, and drive it where ever I wanted to take it. So, the Charger is up on the chopping block now and I'm looking at two suitors, with the Wrangler slightly in the lead. Ideally, I'd want a circa 2005 to 2006 TJ with the 4.0 primarily for it's longevity, durability, and capability, but I'm also considering the Hummer H3 because its utility is better than the TJs and it's overall more comparable to my old XJ. I've also bumped into a few decent deals on JKs in my area (it seems like TJs are almost just as expensive as the JKs), so even though I lose the 4.0 here, the JK is just as ideal as the TJ because of it's better fuel economy (which wasn't a big priority here, anyway) and modern interior, exterior, and driveability elements versus the TJ. A little more icing on the cake: there's a decent enough chance to lower my monthly payment and pay something off earlier than the Charger in the process. Not that the Charger is as big of a financial burden that I feared it would be months ago, but even still. I like having disposable income.

Also, the new Willys Edition JK is just five-billion different kinds of cool. Why wouldn't you start a thread with it and for it?

Edited by black-knight

Too much Jeep nerdspeak in that comment, what is it I don't even know. :AH-HA:

Are people really getting better fuel mileage out of the 3.7 v. the 4.0? I always thought the 3.7 was a pig, maybe not.

The 4.0 was never known as easy on gas, AFAIK. In my GC (albeit heavier than an XJ) I've never seen more than 18 mpg.

Too much Jeep nerdspeak in that comment, what is it I don't even know. :AH-HA:

Are people really getting better fuel mileage out of the 3.7 v. the 4.0? I always thought the 3.7 was a pig, maybe not.

The 4.0 was never known as easy on gas, AFAIK. In my GC (albeit heavier than an XJ) I've never seen more than 18 mpg.

I'll just randomly start posting fuel economy ratings:

• My 2000 4.0 XJ got about 19 mpg on average. However, according to fueleconomy.gov, the double-not XJ only gets about 16 mpg on average.
  • A 2005 4.0 TJ gets about 14 mpg on average, according to the government website for empee-guhs. How a smaller SUV that weighs the same as the XJ gets worse fuel economy completely baffles me.
  • A 2007 3.8 (because Chrysler decided to go with a minivan motor over the 3.7L V6, by the way) JK gets about 17 mpg on average, as per fueleconomy.gov.
  • The Hummer H3 -- despite weighing in almost 1,000 pounds heavier than the XJ -- somehow matches the XJ on fuel economy exactly. Once again, totally confused by this one.
  • For S&G purposes, a circa 2008 WK Grand Cherokee with the 3.7L V6 is no better on fuel than the minivan-powered JK Wrangler, a circa 2001 4.0 WJ Grand Cherokee is no better than a Hummer H3 or an XJ Cherokee, and a KJ or KK Liberty is no better on fuel than the JK or the WK.

Long story short, you really don't buy any of these for fuel economy.

Long story short, you really don't buy any of these for fuel economy.

Exactly...in over 13 years and nearly 150k miles of driving, the gas mileage has never been a concern to me w/ my good ol' WJ GC...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar