Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mitsu dealership really getting desperate

Satty

I was taking a shower when I heard an advertisment on the radio that caught my attention. It said that if you buy a new Raider, you can have a Galant to use, free of charge, for two years. Straight from their website:

Mitsubishi

Two for the Price of One Sale

Buy one new 2006 Mitsubishi Raider LS, stock number 358430, for MSRP $19,825.00, with Lipscomb Auto Group retaining all rebates and customer cash and drive a new 2006 Mitsubishi Galant ES, stock number 358100, MSRP $20,894.00 for 2 years at no additional cost to you.

Disclaimer: Customer pays Tax, Title, License and Personal Property taxes on both vehicles. Lease based on 12,000 miles per year, total cost of lease $6,360.00 pre-paid with purchase of 2006 Mitsubishi Raider at MSRP of $19,825.00, stock number 358430. Owner Loyalty Rebate of $500.00 or $500.00 down payment required. Customer must agree to standard Lease rules or restrictions apply to 2006 Galant, stock number 358100. Offer based on customer approved credit for both vehicles. Lipscomb Auto Group reserves the right to end offer at any time Offer Limited to available 2006 Raider and 2006 Galant in stock inventory

Yikes.

its not just mitsubishi pulling that, sat. one of the chevy dealers (Gould, monticello, MN) here is right now running a promotion.....buy or lease a silverado and get a free cobalt to use for 2 years as well. radio ads all over the sports radio station. NOT the only time they've run that type of promotion either. Buy a pickup get a cobalt or Aveo free has been run in the past.

try again

Edited by regfootball

its not just mitsubishi pulling that, sat.  one of the chevy dealers (Gould, monticello, MN) here is right now running a promotion.....buy or lease a silverado and get a free cobalt to use for 2 years as well.  radio ads all over the sports radio station.  NOT the only time they've run that type of promotion either.  Buy a pickup get a cobalt or Aveo free has been run in the past.

try again

oh reg...don't get all bent out of shape...we are just poking fun.

I've seen it for Kia dealers too...more than once.

Anyway the key is this line:

with Lipscomb Auto Group retaining all rebates and customer cash

I was taking a shower when I heard an advertisment on the radio that caught my attention.  It said that if you buy a new Raider, you can have a Galant to use, free of charge, for two years.  Straight from their website:

Yikes.

This is not that desperate. The dealer is smart. You're getting tricked, and saving at most $2300.

The Galant lease is $6300.

You MUST pay MSRP on the Raider.

That means, there is -$6300 hypothetically in rebates, etc on the Raider.

But you choose not to take the money, instead you choose to give it straight back to the dealer to lease a Galant, for 2 years, for $6300.

Usually a midsize truck has what, a $4000 incentive? (full size have usually $8000)

So if the "rebate" here is $6300, you're saving at most an extra ($6300 this offer)-($4000 typical rebate) = $2300.

And now you need to find someone to drive your Galant for you.

Edited by JT64

My local mitsu dealer made the horrific busines decision to expand his dealership about 3 years ago. It's positively huge- must have 400 vehicles. Lately it has employeed the practice of putting used, non-mitsus on the front line (on an extremely busy interstate), and it's seemingly only these that sell; the rest of the endless rows always look the same.

Also, tho I cannot swear to it, I believe the building used to have standard 'Mitsubishi' lettering on the fascade, but recently those large red letters were removed and replaced by a separate signboard that's much smaller. If true, I don't kow if it's an effort to up-play the co-owned hyundai dealership next door or a facilitation of a 'cut-n-run' gameplan when mitsu pulls the NA plug.

I wouldn't pretend to really know with so many excellent sales people here, but I always thought that used car sales more dollars for the dealership than new. The new car sales lend a certain air of respectability to the used car end of the business. Thoughts/comments?

I've seen two Raiders and to tell the truth, they look 150% better than the Dakota. Getting rid of the silly Dodge fender/headlight monstrocity makes that truck look tons better.

Have you seen an Eclipse 'Vert yet? Talk about a badonadonk! Looks like you could park an Evo in the trunk, the rear is so out of proportion to the rest of the mutilated design.

Shouldn't this company be dead in the states already?

I just heard a local large Nissan dealer on the radio with the same 2-for-1 offer, the Sentra "free". "We just received a shipment of Sentras just for this event!"

But at least for Nissan, the aging Sentra is still its second best selling vehicle.

I've never heard of this practice going brand-wide, but I've heard of dealers doing it. My favorite was in the early 1990s where some Cadillac dealers would offer a free Yugo (many Yugo dealers were dualed with Cadillac dealers for some reason) if you bought a Cadillac.