Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

ACURA KILLS RSX COUPE

Acura, moving upscale, kills the RSX coupe

Acura will kill the RSX coupe at the end of the 2006 model year. John Mendel, senior vice president of automobile operations at American Honda Motor Co., says the company is considering replacements for its cheapest vehicle but would not elaborate.

its just a reflection of the market. it goes to show how little folks care about coupes anymore. the RDX crossover takes over the RSX's spot. it also shows to me the downfall of the 'tuner culture' (thank GOD) and that Honda feels they can address that only with the Civic.

Or maybe we'll get the Acura rebadged Civic here too....LOL

The problem with the RSX is the weak standard engine. The 197hp Civic Si starts at the same price as the 155hp RSX, it takes another $3k to get into a 200hp Type-S. That said, they need to replace it with another sporty small coupe/sedan lineup like the Integra had. Something small and sporty, but more refined than the Civic for people who want to step up, but not in size.

The problem with the RSX is the weak standard engine.  The 197hp Civic Si starts at the same price as the 155hp RSX, it takes another $3k to get into a 200hp Type-S.  That said, they need to replace it with another sporty small coupe/sedan lineup like the Integra had.  Something small and sporty, but more refined than the Civic for people who want to step up, but not in size.

Don't forgetthe Mazdaspeed3 with 270(?) horespower and the Caliber SRT-4 with 300 horsepower and even more torque. Why bother with the Si or Typee-S? If speed is you thing get one of the other wo cars, which blow Honda (and every other compact) out of the water.

Because there is more to a car than just how fast it can go 0-60 and in the quarter mile. Go drive an SRT-4 and Caliber in normal driving (city and highway) then go drive an RSX. You'll see the difference.

Kind of makes you wonder if they'll just put the TSX 4-cyl in the TL (thus lowering the price) and drop the TSX also.

Acura needs more than to just drop its less-than-near-luxury vehicles to move upscale. They also need class-leading luxury cars too. FWD sports sedans & V6 powered flagships don't cut it against BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, or even Cadillac now.

Because there is more to a car than just how fast it can go 0-60 and in the quarter mile.  Go drive an SRT-4 and Caliber in normal driving (city and highway) then go drive an RSX.  You'll see the difference.

The 230 Hp SRT-4 makes the RSX look like Maple Syrup....

Apparently there wasn't enough people that thought the wonderful Acura interiors were worth more than the premium prices and lackluster performance... I for one won't be sad to see it go...

Because there is more to a car than just how fast it can go 0-60 and in the quarter mile.  Go drive an SRT-4 and Caliber in normal driving (city and highway) then go drive an RSX.  You'll see the difference.

Hmm uh yeah, the SRT-4 can do far more than just go fast in a straight line, it outhandles teh RSX and any of ther compacts. It's won most of the tests it's been in, and if not the all out winner, it was always the best performer. The SRT-4 is a performance car, that's it's mission. It's not for the wussies who want the soft materials and stuff.

The 230 Hp SRT-4 makes the RSX look like Maple Syrup....

Apparently there wasn't enough people that thought the wonderful Acura interiors were worth more than the premium prices and lackluster performance... I for one won't be sad to see it go...

I won't miss it either, I am a little sad to see the original SRT-4 go though. What a car!

LOL... I hope you were joking.... (This isn't the 70's where those 'amerchun cars cain't handle gud')

I think this is a bad move on Honda's part and I'm GLAD to see it! The RSX had a HORRIBLY ugly interior and was a weak excuse for performance...

Now, that said, someone hand our members from Car & Driver a tissue becuase I'm sure they're crying now that their favorite "Car to make over-the-hill farts feel like they're effeminate young college boys again" is being "taken behind the barn and shot" because it was apparently "glued to the floor" too.

Just like in the 'Cheap Speed' write up where the GM twins AND SRT-4 moped the floor with the RSX's ass and they still chose it as the winner. (Because they're out-of-touch and biased)

There's already rumors of a TSX coupe, but who knows. The RDX is certainly not its replacement, but that isn't saying the next Acura coupe (other than an NSX) won't get a similar engine, or one tuned for high end HP.

Hmm uh yeah, the SRT-4 can do far more than just go fast in a straight line, it outhandles teh RSX and any of ther compacts. It's won most of the tests it's been in, and if not the all out winner, it was always the best performer. The SRT-4 is a performance car, that's it's mission. It's not for the wussies who want the soft materials and stuff.

I won't miss it either, I am a little sad to see the original SRT-4 go though. What a car!

Too bad the SRT-4 was still based on a Neon, and looked the part. Just a sooped up Neon. :lol:

the GM twins AND SRT-4 moped the floor with the RSX's ass and they still chose it as the winner. (Because they're out-of-touch and biased)

Have you driven all 4 of the cars back to back on and off the track to form your own unbiased (is that possible?) comparison?

Anybody can buy a 93 Civic Hatch, drop an Integra Type R engine into it and go faster than these cars stock, but does that make it a good car?

There's already rumors of a TSX coupe, but who knows. The RDX is certainly not its replacement, but that isn't saying the next Acura coupe (other than an NSX) won't get a similar engine, or one tuned for high end HP.

Too bad the SRT-4 was still based on a Neon, and looked the part. Just a sooped up Neon.  :lol:

The RDX is indeed in some ways a market replacement. youg chicks coming out of college for example, no longer buy accords, rsx's and stuff. they want small and sometimes chic crossovers.

its not the same form, but it is the same type of dollars they are competing for. the market has moved, people no longer want sport coupes (thank goodness).

Too bad the SRT-4 was still based on a Neon, and looked the part. Just a sooped up Neon.  :lol:

Yeah, just Neon, with a 230 horsepower turbocharged engine, retuned suspension, upgraded brakes, viper-style seats, and exterior mods for effect. It may be based off the Neon, but it'll blow the dooors of an Integra, RSX, and most any other car it goes against (except of course the Evo and WRX STI). It's not just a just neon with a little more power genius.

Too bad the Integra, Civic, and RSX are Hondas that are wannabe performance cars.

Edited by Dodgefan

Yeah, just Neon, with a 230 horsepower turbocharged engine, retuned suspension, upgraded brakes, viper-style seats, and exterior mods for effect. It may be based off the Neon, but it'll blow the dooors of an Integra, RSX, and most any other car it goes against (except of course the Evo and WRX STI). It's not just a just neon with a little more power genius.

Too bad the Integra, Civic, and RSX are Hondas that are wannabe performance cars.

I think I struck a nerve :lol:

Click me.

I like this quote: "I don't drive a Neon, I drive an SRT-4!"

It's a Neon SRT-4, like a Caliber SRT-4 or a Charger SRT-8. It's not just another neon. Plu,s last I check we were comparing compacts not Mustangs. As for that van or SUV or whatever it was on the dragstrip. I've seen a first generation Caravan leave a Camaro is the dust.

I'd much prefer the SRT-4 to say, a Civic with an Acura badge (RSX) or an Si. It's faster than both cars. Even C & D can't hide the fact that it's faster than the other cars they tested.

I'm looking forward to how good it's successor will be.

:lol:

It's a Neon SRT-4, like a Caliber SRT-4 or a Charger SRT-8. It's not just another neon. Plu,s last I check we were comparing compacts not Mustangs. As for that van or SUV or whatever it was on the dragstrip. I've seen a first generation Caravan leave a Camaro is the dust.

I'd much prefer the SRT-4 to say, a Civic with an Acura badge (RSX) or an Si. It's faster than both cars. Even C & D can't hide the fact that it's faster than the other cars they tested.

I'm looking forward to how good it's successor will be.

I can only laugh. I'm sorry, the RSX was an excellent compact. Very well-rounded performer. "For the wussies who want the soft materials and stuff." No. "Too bad the Integra, Civic, and RSX are Hondas that are wannabe performance cars." Um... no. "A Civic with an Acura badge (RSX) or an Si. It's faster than both cars." Haha.. again, no. FYI, an RSX is an Integra. They just renamed it RSX for the 3rd US version. Also, Integras and Civics are competely different cars. To top it off, both are well-rounded performers... especially the Civic Si, and moreso than any SRT-4 ever will be. Not to mention refinement. Anyways, power isn't everything, and in a brute way doesn't make it everything, either.

You kinda sound like Domesticated, actually... :lol:

The RSX is much better as a daily driver than the SRT-4. If you want to argue, you're going to lose. Just go for a drive. Drive the rough, loud, cheap, cramped one then drive the Honda. You'll see where I am coming from.

The RSX is much better as a daily driver than the SRT-4.  If you want to argue, you're going to lose.  Just go for a drive.  Drive the rough, loud, cheap, cramped one then drive the Honda.  You'll see where I am coming from.

Meh, it may be loud, but it's particularly cramped. I've been in thenormal neon. It's fine comfy, and I'm 6'2". Cheap? Well yeah, look at the price tag? Were you expecting it to be fancy? As for quality. My best friend's mom has had a Neon since 2000 (she bought it new). ANd it's only been to the shop for oil changes and brakes (you know, route stuff). Still looks new too. Anyway, I guess it's true that the RSX would be the better all round car. But if I were in the market, the SRT-4 would be my choice. I'd be buying a car for performance, and you can't argue about the SRT-4 being able to deliver on that promise.

Yeah and a WRX is just an Imprezza..

a EVO is only a Lancer...

The GTI is only a Golf/Rabbit...

Give me a break...

I think I struck a nerve  :lol:

Yeah when you make really stupid comments like that people are going to respond...

Sorry I couldn't help but post up C&D's quote from thier 'Cheap Speed' comparo:

"Here we go again. That same old comparo conundrum. Our underdog victor offers the worst 0-to-60 time (6.4 seconds), the slowest quarter-mile time (14.9 seconds), the skimpiest back seat, and the most lackluster autocross lap."

For those that want to read more...

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=9845

And yes I did drive all the cars in that comparo before I purchased my car (with the exception of the SS but that was really hard to find at the time) and I don't regret my purchase at all! Maybe it was the stuck up dealer, the over-inflated pricing, the ho-hum styling or maybe it was just the lackluster performance but I was completely underwhelmed when I shopped the RSX... Hell I would have rather bought the ION Redline for 7-8K less at the time...

Yep.  Knew it was coming... really, it's time to see the RSX go.  If anything, they need a TL coupe.

Thing is they had one of those already: it was called the CL! It was nice, but it didn't last-would it work now? Why don't they just put the RSX at Honda? Nice, but it and Integra never fit in with the Acura lineup.

Thing is they had one of those already: it was called the CL! It was nice, but it didn't last-would it work now? Why don't they just put the RSX at Honda? Nice, but it and Integra never fit in with the Acura lineup.

Sad thing is, The civic is the same size as the RSX and it has the powertrain.. if they add leather they seal the deal!

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

It's amazing how very few remember Acura has been down this path before... twice... 2 generations and it's still a forgettable vehicle... Even as a 260hp Type-S.

The CL was rather ugly if you ask me. It was larger as well.

Give me a break...

Yeah when you make really stupid comments like that people are going to respond...

Your point? The SRT-4 is just a sooped up Neon, just as those cars you mentioned are based on their respective models. Does that mean they aren't fast? No. The RSX Type S and Integra Type R are the fast versions of their base model in a simliar fashion.

I like how people here get really defensive and jump to conclusions rather quickly. Did I say any of those cars were bad? Did I say the RSX was better than any of them? No I didn't.

The last decent Acura hatch was the mid-90s Integra... then

they let it stagnate and though still an icon they killed it.

At any rate, Who cares? Honda sucks anyway. :rolleyes: :wink:

Give me a break...

Please tell us how any of the above vehicles are RADICALLY different than the vehicle they resemble? All of them are plebian models with great engines and some sport tuned equipment. Essentially his comment was not stupid... it was acurate.

As far as the RSX goes, if Acura as a company was larger the car would have done better. The dealer body isn't large enough to support a mass marketed entry level sub-luxury sport coupe. Honda knew better than to refresh the CL because anyone in that market would easily go for the spiritual succesor the Honda Accord coupe. With the updated styling of the CL the Accord Coupe does well for Honda and Acura just as the Honda Oddessy does well for both marks. (reference the styling on both)

Acura simply needs a V8. A flagship car that offers more room and equipment than a TL. Acura still has a nitch and pinache but, Honda as a company is to conservative to expirement. After all, Acura is still profitable the way they are.

Meh, it may be loud, but it's particularly cramped. I've been in thenormal neon. It's fine comfy, and I'm 6'2". Cheap? Well yeah, look at the price tag? Were you expecting it to be fancy? As for quality. My best friend's mom has had a Neon since 2000 (she bought it new). ANd it's only been to the shop for oil changes and brakes (you know, route stuff). Still looks new too. Anyway, I guess it's true that the RSX would be the better all round car. But if I were in the market, the SRT-4 would be my choice. I'd be buying a car for performance, and you can't argue about the SRT-4 being able to deliver on that promise.

Heh... the one thing about the Neon is that the back seat is extremely uncomfortable. My back feels like it's laying on a slightly padded wall at too much of an angle. The previous Neon had the same problem... but it was more cramped than my 95 GA, which fits me like a glove and I'm only 5'6" :D

IDK about quality, though... I've only heard bad things about them and my aunt's Neon is pretty unreliable. Oh, and the bumpers have lost their vibrance, like I see on many red Dodges. :P

Yes, though, the SRT4 delivers on performance. But there's more to a car than just that.

Give me a break...

The CL was rather ugly if you ask me. It was larger as well.

Your point? The SRT-4 is just a sooped up Neon, just as those cars you mentioned are based on their respective models. Does that mean they aren't fast? No. The RSX Type S and Integra Type R are the fast versions of their base model in a simliar fashion.

I like how people here get really defensive and jump to conclusions rather quickly. Did I say any of those cars were bad? Did I say the RSX was better than any of them? No I didn't.

What he said.

Still, I do like the SRT4. It's not a bad car at all. But, this thread is about the RSX. :D

The SRT4 is fast, definitely..I never cared for the look, though...with the scoop, big wing etc it looks too much like a teenager's go-fast toy.. (which is fine if you are 18, but at 35, it wouldn't work for me..)

The RSX was ok, just not my thing..I really like the TL, though, even though it is FWD.

I can't really say that I ever had any real touchy-feely feelings about the RSX, I never really saw that many around here, seemed like everyone just bought a topped-up Civic and was happy, although that can also be attributed to the dealer here (they are a little snooty, sarcastically speaking).