MAY 2015 CAR SPOTTERS THREAD!!!

Spring has been sprung from its chains, and it's running wild!  All the cool cars are coming out of hibernation.  Post your sightings here, folks!

Edited by ocnblu

Did NOT see as many vintage vehicles on the road yesterday as I thought I would ... considering how gorgeous the weather was.  Saw way more at Country Classic Cars (Staunton IL) than I did during the hours riding back'n'forth.

BUT, I did see a couple older GM trucks (opposite side of the interstate, so couldn't tell if they were GMC or not) ... 1950s & 1960s vintage.

Also, a couple older Cadillacs, including a white convertible, but not the same vintage of the 1 a certain "boss" had. ;)

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Where have you gone?" __ Glen Campbell __ 'Still Within The Sound Of My Voice'

Traffic was oddly light this afternoon...maybe everyone started their Cinco de Mayo partying early.  But I did see a very clean '77-79 Lincoln Continental sedan in dark red w/ red vinyl top, a clean white 60s Merc SL w dark blue top (pagoda roof style), and a very clean silver early 4th gen Camaro Z28.

Last Thursday I was in Livingston, NJ for a work-related conference and spotted this two-tone Laser Blue & White 2015 Chevy Colorado:

post-418-0-94804900-1431552776_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-02780500-1431552790_thumb.jpg

Sunday while cruising the town next to mine, parked in the back of the local Meineke shop was this awesome 1956 GMC 100 pickup:

post-418-0-44832500-1431552803_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-00196100-1431552813_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-44866400-1431552825_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-21846200-1431552836_thumb.jpg

SO WANT!!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74
  • Agree 1

Kinda like that 2-tone Colorado, but I prefer that older GMC. ;)

Me, I haven't been out driving for a week & 2 days....

"We're outta here" __ Steve Azar __ 'I Don't Have To Be Me 'Til Monday'

'73 Caprice 4-dr hardtop, white vinyl top over dark green body, real solid original, dual exhaust/ moved like at least a 400 V8, rollin'

*raises eyebrows & eyes get wide*

Ohhhhh ... my goodness mercy me.  Wish I'd seen this one....................................

MIGHT go for a brief drive later today, we'll see.  *shrugs*

"Come along and share the good times while we can" __ Lynn Anderson __ 'Rose Garden'

Just saw a new MB SL400 Retractable hard top and my first impression was WOW, So bland! My wife actually asked me what the Jellybean car was as she did not notice the emblem. Have to say those 2 door coupes are forgettable.

Not sure how rare these really are, but I saw a Saturn Sky in our service department the other day.  It was something I hadn't seen or heard of before (I know, my car knowledge is pathetic, but I'm working on it).  I didn't even know it was possible for Saturn to have an attractive car, I was quite surprised by it.

My new favorite miniature CUV, at the local dealer:  Honda CR-V.

The HR-V is their new tiny one, the CR-V has grown over the years..seems the current generation is bigger than my Jeep inside..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I must have been dense when I said that.  Of course it is the HR-V I sawr.  Local dealer has a black EX-L w/Navi and a sweet Ocean Blue EX, both AWD.  Makes the Trax look ancient, imo.  Thanks for the correction, Moltie.

I must have been dense when I said that.  Of course it is the HR-V I sawr.  Local dealer has a black EX-L w/Navi and a sweet Ocean Blue EX, both AWD.  Makes the Trax look ancient, imo.  Thanks for the correction, Moltie.

CUV names all blur together for me sometimes..most seem to have 'X' in them.. ;)    

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Was out a bit Saturday.  Saw quite a few classic cars out ... & even a line of older trucks.  Cool ... yet maddening.

"Do I really feel the way I feel?" __ Marc Cohn __ 'Walking In Memphis'

My new favorite miniature CUV, at the local dealer:  Honda CR-V.

The HR-V is their new tiny one, the CR-V has grown over the years..seems the current generation is bigger than my Jeep inside..

Sitting in the current model and then my 2004, I feel they have gotten smaller.... at least the usable space is smaller anyway. The seats don't fold away like they do on mine. 

Was driving along the motorway today and passed what looked like a completly custom built car. It had the front of a Ford or Chevrolate 50's pick-up and on the back it was a low loader for cars. Really eye-catching and it looked brand new. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

pckdlncln_zpsclq3uuj2.jpg

Hmmm ... with that 3rd brake light, that Pontiac Grand Prix has to be an '86 or '87 model, I would think.....

"I ain't ready for the junkyard yet" __ George Jones __ 'I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair'

Saw my first Stretch Escalade. It was a bit weird seeing something that was an extra 10 feet long. It was huge even by my standards.

There's one of those around here, and it always baffles me when I see it.  Besides the fact that I feel like it should be too ridiculous to actually exist, I just can't believe that there is enough demand in this area to justify whatever the limo company would have paid to get the thing.

Saw my first Stretch Escalade. It was a bit weird seeing something that was an extra 10 feet long. It was huge even by my standards.

There's one of those around here, and it always baffles me when I see it.  Besides the fact that I feel like it should be too ridiculous to actually exist, I just can't believe that there is enough demand in this area to justify whatever the limo company would have paid to get the thing.

Just realized that my wife when she was with me at a tradeshow a couple weeks back also saw stretch Escalades and took pics to show me. Here is what the TI has for pickup and drop off.

post-12-0-97489400-1432929249_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-62346000-1432929255_thumb.jpg

I think it was an homage to the Packard Request, which had strong customer polling for.

I first saw this car 25 years ago, unfortunately, it's been stored outside (I believe) the entire time.

well.. an attempt at an homage.....

Just realized that my wife when she was with me at a tradeshow a couple weeks back also saw stretch Escalades and took pics to show me. Here is what the TI has for pickup and drop off.

attachicon.gif20150507_124405.jpg

attachicon.gif20150507_124544.jpg

that's the old body though

Geez Cort, goes to show how individual tastes can vary. I'd crush the GP if I could get either 2 of the other cars for free in exchange. ;)

- - - - -

'68 Olds Cutlass S hardtop coupe, black over black, performance tires, tipped dual exhaust, real nice shape, rolling… but quiet as a mouse. Then noticed the 'Olds350' vanity plates.

'68 AMC AMX, gold, minty, on a flatbed goin' for a ride. 

Edited by balthazar

Geez Cort, goes to show how individual tastes can vary. I'd crush the GP if I could get either 2 of the other cars for free in exchange. ;)

LOL!  I didn't say I'd want it.  I'd never own any year Grand Prix ... or Impala ... or Nova.........

"Just like driving on an open highway never knowing what we're gonna find" __ Lady Antebellum __ 'Our Kind Of Love'

Well, that's likely a part-out, but I could get my hands on that cool I8.

I won't do it, but I'm itching to cut a '50s car down into a mini-car. Cutting that Packard up wouldn't be in anyway a shame with it's only possible future being the crusher as it is.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the GM B-body convertibles!  And that little Ford is one of my all-time favorite designs... the '86 Taurus of its day... if anyone gets a chance, look at everyone else's '49 models and compare them to the Ford... the Ford was ahead in style by a few years!

LOL!  I didn't say I'd want it.  I'd never own any year Grand Prix ... or Impala ... or Nova.........

"Just like driving on an open highway never knowing what we're gonna find" __ Lady Antebellum __ 'Our Kind Of Love'

No Impalas?  Thought you liked full size Chevys...

:deathwatch:  :deathwatch:  :deathwatch:  :deathwatch:  :deathwatch:  :deathwatch:

Saw several nice vintage Fords this morning...a light blue w/ white top '63 Falcon convertible, a gorgeous black '64 T-Bird convertible, top down, Sports Roadster tonneau cover over the back seat, wire wheels....and a very clean light blue w/ white top 4dr Fairmont Futura Zephyr (Fairmont tailights, 4 headlight Futura front, and Mercury Zephyr badging on the decklid). 

I do ... Caprices, not impalas.  I also wouldn't buy any year MC or Malibu.

"I think I finally know just what it means" __ Mac Davis __ 'Texas In My Rearview Mirror'