Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mercedez Benz News Mercedes-Benz Could Be Reviving the R-Class

The Mercedes-Benz R-Class was an odd duck of sorts: Lets take a seven-seat SUV and a minivan, and blend them together. This odd duck was pulled out of most markets aside from China in 2013 due to poor sales. In China, its a different story where it sells 12,000 to 14,000 R-Classes.

But one official at Mercedes-Benz believes the R-Class should make a comeback. Wolf-Dieter Kurz, Mercedes-Benz’s vice-president of product group SUVs and sports cars tells CarAdvice that they were too early with the R-Class. Kurz goes onto say that crossovers could be a major driver of product variants in the future due to their popularity and that there is room for practicality-focused models.

“Basically I think I feel that the SUV segment – due to its growth, and the worldwide interest that the SUVs have – the SUV segment will be also in future the one which sees most derivatives, let’s say, in the outskirts of the portfolio. Because it’s getting kind of fussy in it’s outskirts, let’s say. There was already one that we had in the portfolio – maybe we were too early – which was the R-Class, which we are still selling in China. It’s doing good, with 12,000 to 14,000 units per year. So let’s say these more, let’s say, on-road based but still very roomy, but not station wagon, is definitely an interesting segment also in the future,” said Kurz.

That last line sounds similar to the R-Class or something in the vain of the Subaru Outback.

Source: CarAdvice.com.au

View full article

This is and was the original competitor to Cadillac SRX Generation 1. It is a Station wagon on steroids of a CUV just like the SRX.

Old hat, been there done that and everyone else moved on and Mercedes just is milking this old duck.

The R-class wasn't too early, it just is a dumb vehicle.  R-classes are long too I think over 202 inches, about as long as a GL, just not as tall or bulky.  No one is going to buy an R-class.  Mercedes would be better served on trying to get a 3rd row in the next generation GLE.  Right now it is 189 inches long, they could move it to 192 inches, try to lower the rear floor a couple inches or remove the spare tire and use run flats and get a 3rd row, or do side mounted folding seats like the old Land Rover Discovery.   If they can figure out a 3rd row option for the GLE, then no R-class is needed. 

I think Mercedes is doing a throw a bunch of stuff against the internet and see what sticks this week.  They are thinking of a convertible crossover also.  I think these companies just put ideas out to see what gets any traction, even if they aren't really that serious about building it.  The R-class would muddy the waters.  The GLE coupe and CLS are about as much as they need to divert from the proven path.  They have a perfect set up of compact with the GLA/CLA, then small-medium-large car and crossover, with 3 sports cars at $43k, 84k, 130k.  Screw the R-class, put that money into the E-class, or next-gen GLE/GLS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Daimler/Mercedes's problem is they don't know what they want to be. They market themselves as a top tier luxury brand, yet they're producing all these non-lux mainstream vehicles, trying to grab more dollars at the expense of cheapening their image.

At this point, there are plenty of beat, dented up, filthy sprinters running around with the 3-point 'star' on them, and it's clear at this point they skimped mightily on the rust prevention, because so many I see are bleeding rust in the middle of painted surfaces.

A brand with an image in flux.

Daimler/Mercedes's problem is they don't know what they want to be. They market themselves as a top tier luxury brand, yet they're producing all these non-lux mainstream vehicles, trying to grab more dollars at the expense of cheapening their image.

At this point, there are plenty of beat, dented up, filthy sprinters running around with the 3-point 'star' on them, and it's clear at this point they skimped mightily on the rust prevention, because so many I see are bleeding rust in the middle of painted surfaces.

A brand with an image in flux.

When the merger of equals happened, and M-B decided to make the sprinter into a Dodge, I would see several "Dodge" Sprinters around in the Montreal area. But now after the fact......I am very thankful that I dont see either the Dodge version or the M-B version. Yup...the original M-B version in Montreal is a dud... So I dont get to see the rusted mess you are talking about.

I see plenty Ford Transit Connects and thankfully, and how it should be...the Chevy/GMC vans are going on strong here.  Although GM has stopped making those too? Partnership with Nissan for their stuoid looking Euro style van?

I honestly dont understand why the wave with Euro Style vans?

Anyway...yeah...M-B....in order to make money...if they continue to saturate the market with mediocre mainstream stuff, they will eventually cheapen their high class image...

Edited by oldshurst442