William Maley

Mercedez Benz News Mercedes-Benz Could Be Reviving the R-Class

The Mercedes-Benz R-Class was an odd duck of sorts: Lets take a seven-seat SUV and a minivan, and blend them together. This odd duck was pulled out of most markets aside from China in 2013 due to poor sales. In China, its a different story where it sells 12,000 to 14,000 R-Classes.

But one official at Mercedes-Benz believes the R-Class should make a comeback. Wolf-Dieter Kurz, Mercedes-Benz’s vice-president of product group SUVs and sports cars tells CarAdvice that they were too early with the R-Class. Kurz goes onto say that crossovers could be a major driver of product variants in the future due to their popularity and that there is room for practicality-focused models.

“Basically I think I feel that the SUV segment – due to its growth, and the worldwide interest that the SUVs have – the SUV segment will be also in future the one which sees most derivatives, let’s say, in the outskirts of the portfolio. Because it’s getting kind of fussy in it’s outskirts, let’s say. There was already one that we had in the portfolio – maybe we were too early – which was the R-Class, which we are still selling in China. It’s doing good, with 12,000 to 14,000 units per year. So let’s say these more, let’s say, on-road based but still very roomy, but not station wagon, is definitely an interesting segment also in the future,” said Kurz.

That last line sounds similar to the R-Class or something in the vain of the Subaru Outback.

Source: CarAdvice.com.au

View full article

This is and was the original competitor to Cadillac SRX Generation 1. It is a Station wagon on steroids of a CUV just like the SRX.

Old hat, been there done that and everyone else moved on and Mercedes just is milking this old duck.

'They were too early' on what; a minivan-shaped me-too vehicle with no sliding doors? 

I have to give to to MBUSA; first the maybach then possibly the r-class flops trying to make a comeback. Nothing quite screams 'desperate for volume' like that.

The R-class wasn't too early, it just is a dumb vehicle.  R-classes are long too I think over 202 inches, about as long as a GL, just not as tall or bulky.  No one is going to buy an R-class.  Mercedes would be better served on trying to get a 3rd row in the next generation GLE.  Right now it is 189 inches long, they could move it to 192 inches, try to lower the rear floor a couple inches or remove the spare tire and use run flats and get a 3rd row, or do side mounted folding seats like the old Land Rover Discovery.   If they can figure out a 3rd row option for the GLE, then no R-class is needed. 

There's just so many vehicles that are similar now that they'll be setting themselves up for failure if they brought it back into such a saturated market. It's what I think anyway.

I think Mercedes is doing a throw a bunch of stuff against the internet and see what sticks this week.  They are thinking of a convertible crossover also.  I think these companies just put ideas out to see what gets any traction, even if they aren't really that serious about building it.  The R-class would muddy the waters.  The GLE coupe and CLS are about as much as they need to divert from the proven path.  They have a perfect set up of compact with the GLA/CLA, then small-medium-large car and crossover, with 3 sports cars at $43k, 84k, 130k.  Screw the R-class, put that money into the E-class, or next-gen GLE/GLS. 

Just make it good looking this time around :AH-HA:

Daimler/Mercedes's problem is they don't know what they want to be. They market themselves as a top tier luxury brand, yet they're producing all these non-lux mainstream vehicles, trying to grab more dollars at the expense of cheapening their image.

At this point, there are plenty of beat, dented up, filthy sprinters running around with the 3-point 'star' on them, and it's clear at this point they skimped mightily on the rust prevention, because so many I see are bleeding rust in the middle of painted surfaces.

A brand with an image in flux.

Daimler/Mercedes's problem is they don't know what they want to be. They market themselves as a top tier luxury brand, yet they're producing all these non-lux mainstream vehicles, trying to grab more dollars at the expense of cheapening their image.

At this point, there are plenty of beat, dented up, filthy sprinters running around with the 3-point 'star' on them, and it's clear at this point they skimped mightily on the rust prevention, because so many I see are bleeding rust in the middle of painted surfaces.

A brand with an image in flux.

When the merger of equals happened, and M-B decided to make the sprinter into a Dodge, I would see several "Dodge" Sprinters around in the Montreal area. But now after the fact......I am very thankful that I dont see either the Dodge version or the M-B version. Yup...the original M-B version in Montreal is a dud... So I dont get to see the rusted mess you are talking about.

I see plenty Ford Transit Connects and thankfully, and how it should be...the Chevy/GMC vans are going on strong here.  Although GM has stopped making those too? Partnership with Nissan for their stuoid looking Euro style van?

I honestly dont understand why the wave with Euro Style vans?

Anyway...yeah...M-B....in order to make money...if they continue to saturate the market with mediocre mainstream stuff, they will eventually cheapen their high class image...

Edited by oldshurst442

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      Daimler has made this year many announcements about their electric auto program. China was a natural place to have a battery plant and of course due to the aggressive acts by the government to have an electric auto program. Daimler on Friday October 5th made what was an expected investment announcement of their Alabama factory to be upgraded to start production of their newest GLE model. 
      What also was announced was that Daimler is going to build as part of a $1 billion dollar retrofit and expansion a massive new electric auto Battery production line. This comes as Mercedes-Benz launches their EQ product line. On Friday Board member Markus Schaefer stated “We aim to play a pioneering role in the development of e-mobility and are well-prepared to accomplish this mission,”
      Daimler with Board support is currently updating 6 factories to produce EQ autos for the global market and besides the Battery plant in China and now the US is adding six more for a total of 8 Auto battery manufacturing sites to support Daimlers plans to convert their whole product line to Hybrid and pure electric only auto's for the global market.
      The home Plant in Sindelfingen Germany which is the home to the building of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class will become their Center of Competence for building all Autonomous and electric auto's.
      Daimler has stated they will spend $1.75 Billion to build a battery production plant in Sindelfingen and one in Untertuerkheim which is also being converted to a high tech electric car component production facility. This expansion joins Daimlers original electric auto battery production in Kamenz Germany.
      Reuters Daimler story 1
      Reuters Daimler Story 2
    • By William Maley
      Owning a Mercedes-Benz AMG model for a time was something special as there was only a few models to get the performance treatment. But the past few years has seen an explosion of AMG models that offering varying levels of performance. There is also the AMG-only models like the GT and GT 4. Some are wondering if AMG is going a bit overboard with this model expansion. Not so according to Tobias Moers, head of AMG.
      "The A35 family is not diluting the brand. We have shared components with the next 45. And driving-dynamics-wise it's on the same level as the current A45, but with less horsepower. It's a different segment and we're going to be really competitive with pricing," said Moers to CarAdvice at the Paris Motor Show this week.
      The A35 will sit between the standard A-Class and upcoming A45 AMG. It packs a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 302 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and 4Matic all-wheel drive, the A35 can hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds.
      "From my perspective, whether you're in the car...value for money, that's the key. Mercedes brought back in the past and A-Class...was the brand diluted then? I don't think so. When we introduced the A45 we had a lot of questions like that, was the brand diluted? No. We get access to brand new customers," Moers went on to say.
      Thus we have a double-edge sword situation; having more models allows for more people to experience AMG performance, but could also alienate those who spend the big bucks on the higher end models.
      Source: CarAdvice

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Owning a Mercedes-Benz AMG model for a time was something special as there was only a few models to get the performance treatment. But the past few years has seen an explosion of AMG models that offering varying levels of performance. There is also the AMG-only models like the GT and GT 4. Some are wondering if AMG is going a bit overboard with this model expansion. Not so according to Tobias Moers, head of AMG.
      "The A35 family is not diluting the brand. We have shared components with the next 45. And driving-dynamics-wise it's on the same level as the current A45, but with less horsepower. It's a different segment and we're going to be really competitive with pricing," said Moers to CarAdvice at the Paris Motor Show this week.
      The A35 will sit between the standard A-Class and upcoming A45 AMG. It packs a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 302 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. Paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and 4Matic all-wheel drive, the A35 can hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds.
      "From my perspective, whether you're in the car...value for money, that's the key. Mercedes brought back in the past and A-Class...was the brand diluted then? I don't think so. When we introduced the A45 we had a lot of questions like that, was the brand diluted? No. We get access to brand new customers," Moers went on to say.
      Thus we have a double-edge sword situation; having more models allows for more people to experience AMG performance, but could also alienate those who spend the big bucks on the higher end models.
      Source: CarAdvice
    • By dfelt
      According to The Drive website, Mercedes-Benz is putting out a car for the quote "Pikachu Generation".

The AMG A35 hot hatch is a AWD 306 HP 295 lb-ft of torque pocket rocket with a 2L Turbo 4 engine. Power is delivered to the four wheels via a 7sp dual clutch automatic transmission. For those that think 0-60 times are the measure stick, Mercedes-Benz quotes a time of 4.7 seconds with a top end speed of 155 mph. The power train is an AWD system that is FWD Biased but can go to a pure 50:50 split AWD when needed. According to Mercedes-AMG CEO Tobais Moers, this is directed to compete with the Volkswagen Golf R, Honda Civic Type R and the Ford Focus RS. The CEO has also stated they have an A45 in the pipeline for next year producing more than 400 hp.

Sadly for those in the United States, Mercedes-Benz is not planning on exporting this to the US at this time.
    • By William Maley
      Mercedes' is planning to have 10 fully-electric models by 2022 - a mix of electric models for current nameplates and new models as part of the EQ family. We've already seen the EQ C crossover and the EQ A hatchback is waiting in the wings. A new report from Autocar has revealed some details on the EQ S, the flagship model of the EQ family.
      The EQ S is expected to launch in 2020 and be first model to use a dedicated EV platform. Known as MEA2, the platform features a lot of aluminum and is designed with a fully flat floor. The EQ C and and EQ A use modified versions of current Mercedes models: MQ C uses a variation of the GLC's platform, and the EQ A will be based on a revised version of the A-Class platform. 
      According to source, the EQ S will slot between the E and S-Class, and be similar in size to the CLS-Class. The EQ S will have a "shorter bonnet and ultra-short overhangs" to help maximize interior space.
      Power is expected to come from a dual-motor layout - one mounted on each axle. The EQ C has a similar layout and produces 402 horsepower and 564 pound-feet of torque. We would expect something similar for the EQ S.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
  • My Clubs