Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

"Fusion In Fancy Duds:" C/D Tests '15 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Black Label

"Yep, 55 grand. Why lead this review with a price breakdown? Because it underscores the point we’ve made about the MKZ all along, which is that it doesn’t offer a whole lot more than the Ford Fusion with which it shared its mechanicals—all but one of the powertrains and even the infotainment setups are identical—yet it is far more expensive. Indeed, this particular MKZ is nearly as expensive as possible, which makes its shortcomings stand out even more."

"Particularly egregious is something endemic to all MKZ hybrids, regardless of price: the sound of the Atkinson-cycle 2.0-liter four-cylinder/CVT combo, which drones miserably under acceleration... we averaged a ho-hum-for-a-hybrid 31 mpg, nowhere near the EPA’s 40-mpg combined rating, which was itself revised downward from the overly optimistic 45 mpg stated when the car was introduced for 2013."

"The Black Label’s material upgrades, which include a black microsuede headliner, leather-topped dash and door panels, and black-stained wood, are worthy of a Mercedes-Benz. But in our car those niceties contrasted starkly with ill-fitting dash-to-door junctions, a warped rubber liner in the lower center console, and grainy hard plastics behind the headrests and in the cup holders."

With the exception of some kind words for the styling, they were pretty harsh on it. Read more at

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-lincoln-mkz-hybrid-review

Why bother as the car is bland jelly bean style and nothing special to look at from Exterior or interior style. This is a overpriced DOA auto for me.

The way to get an MKZ is to keep the options under control. Skip the ridiculous panoramic sliding glass roof thing and premium packages. You can get a decent 3.7L V6 AWD model with full leather interior for $41k before looking at any incentives.

This is a Black Label though.. I think they are pretty much loaded to the gills already.

Plus, with this being a Black Label there are other benefits that go well beyond the vehicle price itself.

http://www.lincoln.com/blacklabel/memberprivileges/

The way to get an MKZ is to keep the options under control. Skip the ridiculous panoramic sliding glass roof thing and premium packages. You can get a decent 3.7L V6 AWD model with full leather interior for $41k before looking at any incentives.

This is a Black Label though.. I think they are pretty much loaded to the gills already.

Plus, with this being a Black Label there are other benefits that go well beyond the vehicle price itself.

Beyond $50k, I'm not remotely interested in this car unless they put the 2.7EB under the hood.

Beyond $50k, I'm not remotely interested in this car unless they put the 2.7EB under the hood.

I won't disagree there.. It isn't worth 50k. I was just say'n.

Definitely peak a little interest if they threw the 2.7 in it.

I think it's a stunning car, and despite its underpinnings; it's a damn good looking car, definitely one to lick; and a much better alternative to grotesque CLAs and A3s.

To me, it's exterior has the looks and presence of a car of a much higher prestige level. 

However, for the price, the Black Label interior should be standard, and the Black Label line itself should just be a Lincoln branded but dealer administered convenience, concierge and maintenance package.

$55,000, when I can get a more stately looking Lacrosse for less, or actually not mind spending about $10K more and get a BALLZ OUT CTS? What world is Ford living in?

And are the fuel economy gains even worth this BS:

Zero to 60 mph: 9.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 25.3 sec

and again my Impala interior looks more lively

2015-Lincoln-MKZ-hybrid-Black-Label-113-

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

I think it's a stunning car, and despite its underpinnings; it's a damn good looking car, definitely one to lick; and a much better alternative to grotesque CLAs and A3s.

To me, it's exterior has the looks and presence of a car of a much higher prestige level. 

However, for the price, the Black Label interior should be standard, and the Black Label line itself should just be a Lincoln branded but dealer administered convenience, concierge and maintenance package.

The interior is standard at that price.. A Black Label MKZ starts at $45,605. That ugly paint job in the article is a $1700 option..no thanks. The hybrid is the same price as the base 2.0T. They must have had their loaded with all of the mud flaps and cargo nets to hit 55k with the hybrid/base engine.

The interior is standard at that price.. A Black Label MKZ starts at $45,605. That ugly paint job in the article is a $1700 option..no thanks. The hybrid is the same price as the base 2.0T. They must have had their loaded with all of the mud flaps and cargo nets to hit 55k with the hybrid/base engine.

Ccap to clarify I meant that a Black Label interior should be standard equipment on every MKZ. The current base interior is not significant enough jump from a Fusion for the base price of the MKZ at 36K.

Ccap to clarify I meant that a Black Label interior should be standard equipment on every MKZ. The current base interior is not significant enough jump from a Fusion for the base price of the MKZ at 36K.

I gotcha I gotcha, understandable.

I didn't realize the MKZ started so reasonable at 36k.. Granted you probably can't find one for under 40k..but still.

Hey... honestly, as much as this car fails to deliver on performance metrics, I used to drive within the city, and I'm not that much of a pedal masher to begin with.

The styling is simply sexifull to me - and for that reason alone I'd get a well- equipped model.

Way better than stupid CLAs and A3s especially when you consider some good incentives.

This and the CTS actually mentioned by Casa are my top American sedans right now. And hear this - it's because both look sexifull - not because either are or should be high performance sport executive sedans. BOOM!!

I can agree with that. I think a few of the Lincolns look really really sharp, same with Cadillacs. I totaly dig the "arts and science" thing.

As for comparing to the CLA and A3, aren't those two smaller than the MKZ? Or are they larger than I'm thinking..?

I can agree with that. I think a few of the Lincolns look really really sharp, same with Cadillacs. I totaly dig the "arts and science" thing.

As for comparing to the CLA and A3, aren't those two smaller than the MKZ? Or are they larger than I'm thinking..?

Well it's still priced within the realm of entry premium/luxe category. The way the CLA and A3 rack up options, competitively priced and equipped, and MKZ is within spitting distance of those two in price. You get way more car, way better interior and so much more.

I don't want the MKZ to storm barns as much as keep up with traffic in the boulevards while getting the maximum attention on the city streets. It's such a pretty, and distinctive design. And it looks just like the concept. 

It's basically what amounts to a sedan version of the Cadillac ELR. Both are very pretty cars. 

Why not just take your favorite old auto and convert it to pure EV with a large battery pack to give you a 300 mile range? www.evwest.com does these conversions and you can enjoy your lovely existing auto with far better performance than the MKZ can give you.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

sign me up for a 300hp AWD V6 model, but I have to have the big roof.  You can keep the Black Label trim, it's a bit more than I need or want to spend.

Road-Test-Review-2014-Lincoln-MKZ-3.7-AW

Why not just take your favorite old auto and convert it to pure EV with a large battery pack to give you a 300 mile range? www.evwest.com does these conversions and you can enjoy your lovely existing auto with far better performance than the MKZ can give you.

Why would anyone limit themselves to EV range, even if that range is 500miles. 

Problem with the fancy roof is that it adds what 300 lbs to the vehicle? And it's all on top of the car, so the handling and center of gravity are directly impacted. With AWD and the glass roof, it weighs like 4200 lbs. A midsize car!! At that weight you're losing 2+ mpg and about half a second in acceleration vs a FWD V6.

Eventually I see the auto world as pure EV where you just go and swap out power cells. Very clean compared to fossil fuels. Right now CNG is the logical next step but I have seen a Suburban that was converted to a warp 9 motor with enough battery cells under the auto to give it 400 miles and still have AC, Heater, Nav, Stereo, etc. So I know it can be done. 

WARP11 motor is rated as 225HP, 673 ft lbs of torque. So why not have a quiet monster of an engine to pull a trailer, move your family around with and charge up at home.

Like I said above, I believe eventually we will see battery packs with much higher range and the ability to just swap them out. Tesla has proved this with their new 300 mile range battery that can either be recharged or quick exchange at select supercharging stations. Just a mater of time and as a few others on this forum have stated, most people do not drive more than 300 to 500 miles in a day. This will cause people to think about what they want, the CHEVY BOLT with 200 mile range will make many reconsider the type of auto they buy next year.

Problem with the fancy roof is that it adds what 300 lbs to the vehicle? And it's all on top of the car, so the handling and center of gravity are directly impacted. With AWD and the glass roof, it weighs like 4200 lbs. A midsize car!! At that weight you're losing 2+ mpg and about half a second in acceleration vs a FWD V6.

Agreed. Just one reason I don't like sunroofs in general. Weight, in the worst palce.  Plus, could you imagine how much it would suck if something broke on that to the second owner 5 years down the road..??

BUT, this isn't a sports car. I think Lincoln has made it fairly obvious that they are going the soft, cushy, luxury route as opposed to sport sedan route.

ANOTHER BUT, it does look pretty ballin'. Definitely something to show off.. but that's all I would ever do with it, and with that said. I wouldn't get it..

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Eventually I see the auto world as pure EV where you just go and swap out power cells. Very clean compared to fossil fuels. Right now CNG is the logical next step but I have seen a Suburban that was converted to a warp 9 motor with enough battery cells under the auto to give it 400 miles and still have AC, Heater, Nav, Stereo, etc. So I know it can be done. 

WARP11 motor is rated as 225HP, 673 ft lbs of torque. So why not have a quiet monster of an engine to pull a trailer, move your family around with and charge up at home.

Like I said above, I believe eventually we will see battery packs with much higher range and the ability to just swap them out. Tesla has proved this with their new 300 mile range battery that can either be recharged or quick exchange at select supercharging stations. Just a mater of time and as a few others on this forum have stated, most people do not drive more than 300 to 500 miles in a day. This will cause people to think about what they want, the CHEVY BOLT with 200 mile range will make many reconsider the type of auto they buy next year.

The logistics involved with supplying new and old battery packs every few hundred miles has been calculated to be impossible.

Storage containers for gas is much easier and far faster.

The logistics involved with supplying new and old battery packs every few hundred miles has been calculated to be impossible.

Storage containers for gas is much easier and far faster.

I can respect and understand that, but do keep in mind as I posted in the alternative section, they now have chargers that charge 100 miles per hr. In time we will have chargers that recharge just as fast as pumping petrol.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

^

I hope EV does proliferate and improves our lives. I also hope gasoline options stays viable for many years to come.

$55,000??? If you buy one do you get a second one free? The Black Label interior isn't even as nice as a C-class, they should make that Black Label interior standard on the base car as was mentioned earlier.

My friend got a certified BMW 535 diesel with 5 years and 90,000 miles of warranty for a little under $55k and he gets 31 mpg average and does more city driving than highway, and his car isn't a Ford Fusion. Seems like a much better deal than a Lincoln.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

The 400hp+ 3.0L sounds good with their new AWD system as a MKZ sporty option to the upgraded styling and interior next year.  Continental should never be anything more than what it will be, a quiet yet powerful luxury sedan. But with the Mark coming back (at least in rumors), they can certainly  take that in a few directions. Who knows what the next decade will bring. Pretty exciting what they are doing with Lincoln.  Long road to get here too.  And to think Alan wanted to kill them off.

I don't see the 55k THAT outrageous because that is a Black Label and fully loaded. I think some are over looking the Black Label part from a service and benefits aspect not just the interior quality.  Free car washes anytime? Car needs servicing..They'll pick it up and give you a loaner until the service is completed and then drop your car off. About that servicing.. "covering all recommended service and including replacement of wear items."

Sales+reviews=consensus.

We have a rather negative review. We have sales that are down. We have sales of the grocery-getter that birthed it down.

Contrast this to Cadillac, where their much more sophisticated platform has outsold the Lincoln by 9,000 units through July, has garnered rave reviews, and is about to go mass-market by spreading its genes into the ponycar segment.

A far superior approach for those who value good product.

I don't see the 55k THAT outrageous because that is a Black Label and fully loaded. I think some are over looking the Black Label part from a service and benefits aspect not just the interior quality.  Free car washes anytime? Car needs servicing..They'll pick it up and give you a loaner until the service is completed and then drop your car off. About that servicing.. "covering all recommended service and including replacement of wear items."

Lets be real here. Most luxury brands already offer some level of high-end customer service, and many car brands already offer 1 year or more of routine maintenance. The cost is built into the standard luxury markup. An MKZ's markup over the Fusion is already a bitter pill for many to swallow, but to charge even more under the guise of luxury service? Not buying it. How many rentals, oil changes, and car washes does it take to make a few thousand dollars worth while?

Lets be real here. Most luxury brands already offer some level of high-end customer service, and many car brands already offer 1 year or more of routine maintenance. The cost is built into the standard luxury markup. An MKZ's markup over the Fusion is already a bitter pill for many to swallow, but to charge even more under the guise of luxury service? Not buying it. How many rentals, oil changes, and car washes does it take to make a few thousand dollars worth while?

I'll definitely agree with everybody that the Black Label interior should be standard. If they're trying to be a luxury brand they should have an upgraded interior where nobody will question the quality. Nobody will sit in and think "Fusion" at all.

I don't doubt they do offer some kind of service but..what kind? I honestly don't know. I doubt the average BMW/MB/Audi dealers offer free car washes and yearly detail jobs. Oil changes on luxury cars(which they will also be performing all of the service at the X mile ilterval) are no less than 100bucks at a dealer. Plus you add in(as an example) tire rotation(common) and coolant flush at 50k miles along with maybe the serpentine belt replacement. I realize most serviceing is overkill on things like a coolant flush at 50k miles(or things of the like) but if you have EVERY service performed come times to sell or trade in it has to increase its resale value. I also realize the other luxo brands offer maintenance programs and such but I think that's the point. They are showing they are a true luxury car company(whether they are there or not is another topic).

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Yes but, the open top feeling far offsets the absolutely minimal impact on vehicle dynamics that nobody could probably ever detect without digitial equipment to measure some metrics or data.

Yes but, the open top feeling far offsets the absolutely minimal impact on vehicle dynamics that nobody could probably ever detect without digitial equipment to measure some metrics or data.

I'm pretty sure even a prius owner would be able to tell the dynamic difference of 300 lbs on the roof.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I'm pretty sure even a prius owner would be able to tell the dynamic difference of 300 lbs on the roof.

Doubt it.

Perhaps, maybe possibly in an extreme driving manner, that's about it.  And even then, small differences.

Indeed. It is just simple reality.

An owner will only be able to notice if they came from one without the fancy roof and then got in one with the fancy roof. I see what Wings is talking about. It's like driving your car alone and then driving it with 2 people in it. You'd never notice te difference if they were always there with you but i they got out..you'd notice.

I'll definitely agree with everybody that the Black Label interior should be standard. If they're trying to be a luxury brand they should have an upgraded interior where nobody will question the quality. Nobody will sit in and think "Fusion" at all.

I don't doubt they do offer some kind of service but..what kind? I honestly don't know. I doubt the average BMW/MB/Audi dealers offer free car washes and yearly detail jobs. Oil changes on luxury cars(which they will also be performing all of the service at the X mile ilterval) are no less than 100bucks at a dealer. Plus you add in(as an example) tire rotation(common) and coolant flush at 50k miles along with maybe the serpentine belt replacement. I realize most serviceing is overkill on things like a coolant flush at 50k miles(or things of the like) but if you have EVERY service performed come times to sell or trade in it has to increase its resale value. I also realize the other luxo brands offer maintenance programs and such but I think that's the point. They are showing they are a true luxury car company(whether they are there or not is another topic).

I appreciate what you're saying, but it still comes down to a $55,000 FWD-based midsize car. I wouldn't spend that on a Cadillac XTS or Lexus ES and they're full size with black label comparable interiors. There are levels of the MKZ that I like, particularly 3.7L models without a bunch of fluff. It's a perfectly good Acura alternative from $38-45k.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

It's not about the weight as much as it is the centre of gravity. If you duct tape Hulk Hogan to the roof of your MKZ it WILL wallow more than if he was riding shotgun.

Hahahaha absolutely great reference!

But I do see what you guys mean with WHERE the weight is more than anything.

Edited by ccap41

I appreciate what you're saying, but it still comes down to a $55,000 FWD-based midsize car. I wouldn't spend that on a Cadillac XTS or Lexus ES and they're full size with black label comparable interiors. There are levels of the MKZ that I like, particularly 3.7L models without a bunch of fluff. It's a perfectly good Acura alternative from $38-45k.

I can agree with that. And I do know that if I had 55k to spend on a car.. it isn't going to be a Lincoln. And for the reasons you just stated(mostly the FWD based).

Isn't 55k 5 Series/E Class territory?

It's not about the weight as much as it is the centre of gravity. If you duct tape Hulk Hogan to the roof of your MKZ it WILL wallow more than if he was riding shotgun.

Hahahaha absolutely great reference!

But I do see what you guys mean with WHERE the weight is more than anything.

Anyone claiming to be an engineer would know it as well. To downplay it as nothing, especially in a car, is ridiculous.

I can agree with that. And I do know that if I had 55k to spend on a car.. it isn't going to be a Lincoln. And for the reasons you just stated(mostly the FWD based).

Isn't 55k 5 Series/E Class territory?

Yeah, pricing is in a different class. If I want to be a real dick about the Lincoln pricing, I can point out that for $55,000 you can buy a Fusion 2.0T with leather AND a Fusion 1.5T lower trim. But I wont because I'm a gentlemen. :D

lol true.. Buuuuut you wouldn't get free car washes! ;) <- so that's supposed to be a winky face.. But it looks like it's trying to take a crap and not wink.

Lmao, are you flirting with me or having a stroke?

It's ok though, GM equally screwed the pooch when they priced the ELR at $75,000 the first year. I mean it's still overpriced now, but it's much faster and $10k cheaper than it was.

Edited by cp-the-nerd