Beautiful Cars Appreciation Thread

oldshurst442

Hence the Good, the Bad and the Ugly  :)    

Originally, I wanted to do gold hued early 1970s cars within those mid level luxo cars to match the soundtrack. 

But I wasnt finding any.  I didnt want to do a 1966 Toronado. I wanted an early '70s motif.  The Buick Boattail Riv had a hue that could have worked, but I couldnt find anything on the others.    

The Good: Buick

The Baaaaaaad: Chrysler

The Ugly: Mercury

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The Boattail is a beaut, the Imperial is sedate/stately, but the Merc is hideous.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.01.04 PM.png

I really like this car, it speaks to me of the awesome T top, smooth lines, Muscular and yet reserved. I like this just like I like my mid 80's Monte Carlo SS.

My Most Favorite Mid 80's GM Car, 1986 Monte Carlo SS Aero-coupe

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

This is a pretty hot car too!

image.png

Sweet Camaro SS

image.png

Love me some GTO baby!

image.png

Lovely Green Camaro

image.png

Is it me or does Florida have allot of nice Muscle Cars?

image.png

Coronet 440 anyone?

image.png

image.png

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

How come; for all the fuss & bother - the Italians could never build a car this beautiful?

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 8.29.50 PM.png

To them that is not considered stylish or fashionable. Italian auto's have failed as they have always worried more about the fashion industry than peoples need for stylish, common sense transportation. IMHO.

riccardo tisci leather GIF by fashgif

How come; for all the fuss & bother - the Italians could never build a car this beautiful?

As with everything, each according to his tastes.... however... the Italians were quite capable of building beautiful cars:

italian-car-TGJ.07.jpg

1939_alfa_8c_2900b_touring_berlinettabisc_artcurial20181120162230.jpg

It was the reliability that was always suspect.

That said... I have lately been having an unhealthy obsession with these: 1990 Bentley Turbo R

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

But I need an 80's British car like I need a hole in my head (which Albert would likely provide if I did buy one)

And in looking for those photos, I stumbled upon this beauty: 1957 Bentley Continental S1 Fastback

13616645.jpg

13616647.jpg

13616649.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  I don't find this car and this particular era of cars very beautiful at all.

19 minutes ago, ykX said:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  I don't find this car and this particular era of cars very beautiful at all.

Different definitions of beauty certainly.  I think, with automobiles especially, there is distinct difference between handsome, beautiful, and attractive.  I couldn't call the Chrysler beautiful either... I reserve that more for the 20's-30's cars, the ones with the flowy curves.  Handsome would be like the '56 Continental, '57 Eldorado Brougham, and I know most will disagree, the '80 - '85 Seville.

Then there are cars that are good looking enough but don't fall into those categories, but they have gravitas, just the pull of "This is something/someone important". The '63 Continental, '64 Imperial LeBaron, the CT6 (particularly the refresh), the '91 - '98 S-Class all fall into that group for me. 

And then there's the over the top gaudy, which I love but also doesn't fit into the above slots.  '58 Buicks and Olds go here, all of the Big-Finned Cadillacs, the '61 and '62 Imperial Crown, Lincoln Continental Mark IV, and the '57 Chevy in a blue-collar sort of way.

On 3/29/2021 at 1:17 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Triple Black: 1972 Mercury Marquis Brougham – Barn Finds

Gorgeous 1972 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron - YouTube

*sigh* ... someone is posting fuselage bodies in the Beautiful Cars Appreciation thread again.... time to get out the ban hammer...

:banned:

and yes, I know one of them is a Mercury, but it still manages to look fuselage. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

*sigh* ... someone is posting fuselage bodies in the Beautiful Cars Appreciation thread again.... time to get out the ban hammer...

:banned:

and yes, I know one of them is a Mercury, but it still manages to look fuselage. 

I like the Mopar fuselage styling (much more than the finny Forward Look Mopies). And I like late 60s-early 70s Ford/Lincoln/Mercury styling.   But 'beauty' is definitely in the eye of the beholder...

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Of all the examples from that era you could have given, you go with the ugliest pepto bismol pink beast you could find. This would have been a FAAAAR better choice.

702380865_ScreenShot2021-04-05at10_37_41AM.thumb.png.14b43a4eab3c7b98e972e800e70a6ebe.png

• Thanks 1

Of the late 50s-early 60s over the top fins and excess gorp era, I find the Chrysler 300 to be one of the most tasteful.  1957 and 1960 below.   Though my personal  old car interests gravitate towards late 60s, early 70s, and mid 80s much more sothan the 50s.

1957-chrysler-300c.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall

Like @Drew Dowdell with his Bently Turbo R obsession, I have also as most of you already know have bought my last V8 auto. I am having a very Healthy Obsession with these two beauties!

2024-GMC-HUMMER-EV-SUV-023 (1).jpg

image.png

Yes I realize that to many this beautiful cars appreciation thread is about past auto's, but I have to say that the future is looking AWESOME to me! 😍

• Agree 1

No kidding, Zippy.

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Of all the examples from that era you could have given, you go with the ugliest pepto bismol pink beast you could find.

That’s merely time-altered / photoshop-tweaked red. 300 wasn’t available in pinks- too macho. 😁

• Haha 2

I definitely want to have at least one more V8.  My V8 experience is pretty dated---'80s Ford 5.0s, '80s M-B 5.0, and '00s Cadillac Northstar.   Definitely would like to have a modern Hemi or Ford Coyote in my life.    

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I definitely want to have at least one more V8.  My V8 experience is pretty dated---'80s Ford 5.0s, '80s M-B 5.0, and '00s Cadillac Northstar.   Definitely would like to have a modern Hemi or Ford Coyote in my life.    

Unless I will be able financially to upgrade my Mustang to Shelby or to Mach 1 (better transmission and cooling) in the near future, I will be keeping it forever.  I will be one of those old farts driving around in the old loud  "muscle" car scaring people in their silent EVs :)

I even think when I will get old and my hearing will get worse I will put back loud exhaust on it too :)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

As with everything, each according to his tastes.... however... the Italians were quite capable of building beautiful cars:

italian-car-TGJ.07.jpg

1939_alfa_8c_2900b_touring_berlinettabisc_artcurial20181120162230.jpg

It was the reliability that was always suspect.

That said... I have lately been having an unhealthy obsession with these: 1990 Bentley Turbo R

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

But I need an 80's British car like I need a hole in my head (which Albert would likely provide if I did buy one)

And in looking for those photos, I stumbled upon this beauty: 1957 Bentley Continental S1 Fastback

13616645.jpg

13616647.jpg

13616649.jpg

Look who's talking... (about ugliness)  😛  The '57 is awesome.  The '90 one is a brick with wheels. Literally.  But I do like it.   And yeah...I also like fuselage Mopars.  

A '69 Polara 440 would be my favorite of all. 

So...

1969 Dodge Polara Pursuit - Record Setter - Code 3 Garage

whacha gonna doooo 'bout it, suckaaaah?  :mr-t:  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The Miura may be my favorite Lamborghini as far as styling.   The modern  Lambos don’t really do anything for me.  

Mine would be the mid 1980s Countach with all the plastic aero bits on it.  Then the Miura.  From the modern Lambos, I only like the Reventon which was a limited edition re-worked Murcielago.  The Aventador which kinda has Reventon looks would be my last modern Lambo that I like.  

@Robert Hall

I was JUST gonna post the Iso Griifo!   LOVE IT!!!! 

(edit:  post merged...)  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

A couple Dinos and a Maserati Ghibli..

fl0116-227328_1@2x.jpg

1969-Ferrari-Dino-206-GT-by-Scaglietti_0-1.jpg

236231.jpg

I love the Countach, was one of the 80s exotics I lusted after as a teenager, along w/ the Ferrari Testarossa.   While not necessarily classically 'beautiful', they were bold and brutal.

I like the 308 and 328 as well...

ca0816-259983_12.jpg

1986-Ferrari-Testarossa-Miami-Vice.jpg

fl0116-236204_2@2x.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

The one Countach I didn't like was the 20th anniversary w/ the heavier cladding:

lamborghini-countach-25anniversary-01.jpg

I prefer the mid 80s w/ the big wing.   I've read they added the wing due to customer demand after the car that appeared in Cannonball Run (which also had a front wing).

da0915-227266_2@2x.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall

Miura (& Pantera: American-designed (Tjaarda)) are on the bland side, but still nice. I like them somewhat, tho they fall down on the details.
Ghibli is quite nice, has definite American cues is probably why.
Countach is incredibly overwrought.
Ferrari 308 may be the most cohesive design from Ferrari.

Most of the rest have unfortunate and/or awkward details I can't look past. Thumbs down. 

• Haha 1

The Italian houses seem to do well above the bumper line, but below that they always get lost. And they can't do lighting or make the front & rear fascia work with the rest of the car.

I certainly could do a 'design analysis' on any one of these and better illustrate what I'm seeing.
The #1 issue I have is poor detailing / integration of the small bits.

It's like baking a superb cake, then icing it with one's elbow.