Beautiful Cars Appreciation Thread

oldshurst442

That is a sweet Corvette. I love me the C1.

Especially a 1959/1960. I dont really mind the excess vents and chrome on a 1959 versus the 1960.

corp_0508_01_z+1959_chevrolet_corvette_c

And I see what you mean.

Lets be honest, GM had no equal in Harley Earl during those times and then Bill Mitchel.

Virgil Exner from Chryco.was a good rival too.

I like French cars from the 1930s all the way to the 1960s too...maybe I do those soon...

• Agree 1

Just a little defiance because Italian cars are sensual and very easy on the eyes...especially the "vintage" ones from the same years that we ogle cars from Mopar and the General.

1981-ferrari-308-gtsi.jpg

CPibDRUVAAATIqY.jpg

1-isto.jpg

Your just reliving your Magnum PI watching days. :P

1967-alfa-romeo-tipo-33-stradale-4_jpg_6

BnGv8k5CAAAYTJ7.jpg

a4yNXCuIoBU.jpg

1917ce5g5di7ijpg.jpg

These are the rare sexy ones to me, but I would not replace my amercian auto's with these.

I still think AMC did it better :

AMX-2.jpg

That is freakin Beautiful and I will agree that this should have gone into production and could still be done now as people would love it.

That Maserati looks damned good.  I dont really like modern Maseratis...who am I kidding? I dont like Maseratis at all, but that angle, that colour and that stance makes it a beauty. But I gots to agree wit de others Suave, Post #40 was not one of my faves either....just to be politically correct  :P  ....sorry. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I fell in love with this one when I saw it in Edmonton.

Me too.  I was in awe to see how sleek she is.

Montreal beat you though. The El Miraj made its Canadian debut in MONTREAL! :neenerneener:

So much for Alberta oil calling the shots. :P

Edited by oldshurst442

E-town actually does a pretty good show for the size of the city. They also have an auction at the same time where you can get almost anything you can imagine up to 100 grand or so. I've seen Jensen Interceptors, old Detroit iron, turbo Bentleys... anything goes.

But CIAS in Toronto is pretty special. I may be flying down to it this year (well, that and some other stuff... Leafs game, maybe the Raps).

Leafs game.

Take in a Leafs/Habs game... those lately have become fun to watch.

Th Montreal International Auto Show has lost its luster to Toronto...like everything else. :hissyfit:

But we are slowly getting it back. The last couple of years, we have had several Canada first reveals. The El Miraj is one of them...I think the Acura TLX was another.

Dont quote me on this, but I also think the Cadillac ELR was another...

The Japanese car makers give us a little of that bone more than Detroit does...stupid Toronto...actually....the main culprit is Detroit's Auto Show. The year starts off in Detroit and the Montreal show is a week or two later.

To be fair, I've never been to the Montreal show so I don't know all the ins and outs of it. But for me CIAS isn't even about the new stuff so much as it is about some of the vintage stuff they dig up. I've seen some absolutely crazy stuff at CIAS. I wish I had all my pics in front of me but the one that springs to mind first and foremost is the Phantom Corsair. I never even heard of that thing till it arrived in Toronto. I think the Maybach Exelero made an appearance too. And the vintage Italian stuff!...

If you have to see the latest and greatest then I guess you have to go to Cobo in Detroit. But you could do a lot worse than CIAS.

Montreal's show is crap. No real vintage stuff to talk about. Its there. They make an appearance...but it aint big. Same for the Italian stuff. Its during Grand Prix week that the enthusiast stuff comes out from hiding.

Like you said, the new stuff, its Detroit, and when our show happens practically at the same time as Detroit...ours sucks big time! But it aint that bad....Toronto's show sounds like an interesting one though.

• 1 month later...

Nice Trans Am CCAP...

Thanx Drew.

This next Citroen, just oozes cool. Call it ugly if you wanna, but this car has a certain...Je ne sais quoi.

Only a French car can ooze sensuality, sexuality and high class and snootiness  all at the same time...

Black and White pics only as only black and white pics capture the artistic nature of this car....

Ive had the pleasure of seeing these in action. In the late 1970s, as I remember, many were still on Montreal roads. Most of the ones that I saw were Taxis, but I saw a few that private citizens drove. They looked weird to me as I was a muscle car kid even back then as a 5-6 year old. But never did I consider them ugly. Every time I saw one, I stared at it and was in awe...I never did want my dad to own one as I was very happy being driven in a 1974 and a 1979 Impala, but I sure did enjoy looking at them driving passed me.

i134341.jpg

citroen-ds-05.jpg?1448539895

Citroen_DS_DS21_Super_5_2163_big.jpg?128

get-real-22.jpg

video-come-montare-catene-da-neve.jpeg

citroen%201961%20ds19.jpg

13.jpg

54cdd6e9a91f1a9e792cfaa72eb8edae.jpg?res

And...this picture was taken in Montreal. 8)

1437366615_005.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Balthazar, that car is just drop dead sexy! :metal:

Unlike the Citroen which is just drop dead ugly in my book, but then I find very little outside of Wine that is cool or sexy from France. Especially their Toothpick thin woman. So I guess to each their own. Glad some like the Citroen but I will pass.

Love an old-skool French automobile.  TWENTY-ONE FEET of suspension travel at each wheel!  ;)  That is what makes them the best riding cars on the planet.

(disclaimer:  personal experience speaking.  my mom had an '81 LeCar and it was astonishing how smooth the ride was, and the body roll!  it sure was an entertaining little car.)

I am guessing modern French cars have done away with such endearing eccentricities.  I find this shameful.

Edited by ocnblu

Well, it's fine & well to like whatever one likes…. but in objective terms (yes; there is a degree of objectivity in automotive styling) the Citroen SM just breaks so many rules…. and I don't mean that in a good, outlaw-esque way.

Like I said...they do things their own way.

Many people, including Americans themselves, find it weird that American cars of the 1950s incorporated airplane jet themed styles, including mile high fins. 

I wouldnt have it any other way with 1950s cars. That would be my favorite look. Goes extremely well with Rock-N-Roll.

But the French do the Art Deco thing quite well. So...they do that on their cars too.

citroen-11b-roadster-traction-avant-01.j

38+Type+57SC+Atlantic.jpg

1351601389-a110-3.jpg

96f9a07331380fa906dc6d34b25454a5.jpg

1336480341-a1102.jpg

French cars arent necessarily my favorite. American cars are, but I do enjoy French style.

Like I said, you got to respect a culture that has Gargoyles on top of buildings and calls it art.

• 1 month later...