Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Beautiful Cars Appreciation Thread

oldshurst442

Like, why is it that it's so much harder for cars to be beautiful these days?

I mean, these recent trend of compact wagoniods on stilts look ugly. HR-V, Bolt, Fiat 500X... all of them just are basic function over form, but in trying to deliver form, like the 500X they have less space than a bloody compact hatch of a lower class...

I gave thumbs up votes for the Hudson Hornet, Tucker Torpedo and Duesenberg.  Hardly anything good looking came out of the 70s though, that whole decade can be down voted, even the Lamborghini Countach got better looking in the 80s.  I did see one of these today, epic car.

157566_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

• Agree 1

That's what those look like.  I remember a '68 in Goodfellas also...dark red w/ a black top IIRC.  Interesting how Pontiac had a one-year only rear end for the '68 (unique quarters, decklid, rear bumper)..not sure about the roof, if it was the same as the '67 or unique also.

^ The quarters are very similar but the deckled, rear fascia & bumper were obviously different in '68, whereas in '67, it was just the rear fascia. Nice touch- reminds me how the Eldorado got a (totally) unique rear clip in '55-58.

GP had it's own roofline (with the concave backlight, used '63-68) and C-Pillar than the rest of the senior Pontiacs in '68. '67 GP was the same scenario.

Edited by balthazar

GP had it's own roofline (with the concave backlight, used '63-68) and C-Pillar than the rest of the senior Pontiacs in '68. '67 GP was the same scenario.

I knew that, of course, just wasn't sure if the '67 and '68 GPs had the same roofline..

chrysler-300-1956-4.jpg

I love this car...

Ill post another angle of it.

hrdp_0603_02_z%2B1955_chrysler_c_300%2Br

And to conclude the trifecta:

james-bonds-aston-martin-db5-for-sale-by

I love this car too...Ill post another angle of this one too.

346867.jpg

I'm a GM man, but there have been a LOT of really cool MoPars; always liked this '71 :

1971-Plymouth-Road-Runner-383-Magnum-Tri

And when I got to this one, my heart went BOOM!

I wasnt expecting it...it was a pleasant surprise. Yes, GM from the 1950s-1970s would be my favorite too, but man-o-man does MOPAR give GM a run for their money in my book.

FL0115-204284_1.jpg

and a shout-out to the M-B Gullwing...

Ill do roadster

Bildschirmfoto-2013-12-05-um-16.39.20.pn

Pretty neat. a 34 Packard Roadster with a chop and other goodies. 2015-grand-national-roadster-show-055-ri

This is lovely and how I hope Rolls Royce will head towards when they finally bring out their new model in 2018.

• 3 weeks later...

Dood. (oddly enough Dood is "milk" in my other language)

But dood. I want that Cadillac.

I must own that. I must drive that every day.

That is me personified if I was a car. A slickster. You could lick that car up and down, lengthways, sideways, everywhere.

Everything about that Cadillac is lickable. And these are the cars my dad also grew up being force-fed on. 

Glory, greatness.... This is Cadillac distilled IMO. Long. Long. Really long. Sexifull. Few lines, and a lot of just pure volume. Some people get hard over this, and I might be one too.

• Agree 1

They're not "bespoke", they're just the careful product of huge stamping presses.

It's not the size as much as it is the contour that gets pricey.

Chevy often had 3-piece front bumpers in the early 60s because assembling 3 pieces was cheaper than a single, more complex stamping.

Edited by balthazar

• 2 months later...

Studebaker GT Hawk :

1963-GT-Hawk-main2.jpg

Balth, perhaps a history lesson on these in another thread.  What kept them from saving Studebaker?

+! Yes I agree, I would love to learn more. Plus I would also love to hear more about this story from Road and Track:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a29169/bobby-darins-dream-car-was-an-outrageous-vision-of-the-future/

These concepts are feakin awesome, talk about how they influenced various OEM builders. That would be cool to I think to hear from you. :D

:metal:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, Pontiac does it better than both Olds and Chevy...from 1964-1967.

Especially 1966-1967.

1967-pontiac-gto-front-three-quarter.jpg

799b2c5587eafd6f7af40ce80be96ac6.jpg

1967-Pontiac-GTO-convertible.jpg

But I still prefer a 1966 Olds 442.

The Pontiac is all grunt and muscle. Awesome! The Olds is the gentleman's hotrod! Perfect blend of grit and class.

174673_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

174673_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

• 1 month later...