We’ll admit we were not big fans of the last-generation Chevrolet Malibu. When we drove the Malibu Eco, it failed to deliver the fuel economy numbers that Chevrolet touted. Plus, it was the only Malibu you could get for a time. The decision was made to get the Eco out first while work was being finished up on the two four-cylinder models. Unfortunately, this move would prove to be a mistake. Then we spent some time in the Malibu 2.0T. While we like the performance on offer, it had a difficult time justifying the high price tag. Both models also suffered from having one of the smallest back seats in the class. The various issues caused sales of the Malibu to drop precipitously and made General Motors fast track a new Malibu.

This brings us to the new Chevrolet Malibu which made its debut last year at the New York Auto Show. It seemed GM had learned from its mistakes from the previous model and put that experience into this new model. Let’s find if this makes the Malibu a better vehicle.

The last-generation Malibu wasn’t a bad looking vehicle. But compared to the model it replaced, the Malibu’s design just fell flat. The 2016 model is a completely different story. Designers went back to the 2008 to 2012 Malibu and started improving on that design. The end result is one of the sharpest looking midsize sedans in the class. Up front is where you can see the influence from the 2008 to 2012 Malibu with a similar grille layout and headlight location. The grilles are slightly narrower and wider. The side profile reveals an A7-inspired rear roof pillar that blends in beautifully with the fender. The back features a rounded trunk lid and chrome exhaust tips.

The same cannot be said for the interior. It isn’t to say Chevrolet hasn’t made some strides here. The design is just as sharp as the exterior with flowing curves and a touchscreen that looks like a tablet that has been docked. In the back, there an increase in overall space. Sitting back here, I had plenty of head and legroom. Getting yourself comfortable in the driver’s seat is easy thanks to an eight-way power seat and a tilt-telescoping steering wheel.

2016 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT 10

But Chevrolet made a huge mistake in the material choices. The 2LT is just below the Premier and you would expect a fair amount of soft-touch materials on the dash and door panels, possibly some leather on the seats. Unfortunately, you don’t get any of that. There is an abundance of hard plastics throughout the interior. Depending on the location, the quality can range from ok to terrible. Not helping matters is the use of cloth fabric on the dashboard much like the last-generation Cruze. If this was the base L or LS, this would be ok considering the price of those models. But this being the 2LT, which starts at $28,620, it is a huge disappointment. Especially when you consider many of the Malibu’s competitors for around the same price feature better materials.

Depending on which Malibu trim you pick, it will either come with no touchscreen (L), a seven-inch touchscreen (LS and 1LT), or an eight-inch touchscreen (2LT and Premier). Our tester featured the eight-inch and the latest version of Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system. MyLink still stumbles in some areas such as overall performance and recognizing devices plugged into the USB inputs, but overall the system is much better than when it was first launched. For 2016, Chevrolet has added Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto) integration to MyLink. You just need to plug a compatible iPhone into the USB and hit the CarPlay button on the touchscreen. You’ll be greeted with a screen that is very similar to the home screen on your iPhone. Applications such as Siri, Apple Maps, Spotify, and Pandora can be used through the system. Like the Volt I drove recently, I ran into some problems with CarPlay. From applications not responding to the vehicle not recognizing that my phone was plugged in. As is stands, CarPlay is a huge improvement over most infotainment systems used in vehicles. But some bugs need to be worked out still.

2016 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT 8

Power for the Malibu comes from two turbo engines - a 1.5L or 2.0L. Our 2LT came with the 2.0L turbo producing 250 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a new eight-speed automatic transmission. The best words I can use to describe the Malibu’s 2.0L is punchy and effortless. The turbo spools up quickly and provides a strong pull of power when leaving a stop. More impressive is how fast the engine is able to climb in speed when merging onto an expressway or making a pass. The eight-speed is one of GM’s best transmissions with smooth and smart shifts through the gears. In terms of fuel economy, the turbo 2.0L is rated at 22 City/33 Highway/26 Combined. We got an average of 27 MPG during our week of testing.

Chevrolet struck a nice balance with the Malibu’s ride and handling. Like the previous-generation model, the 2016 Malibu features one of the smoothest rides in the class. Bumps and other imperfections are ironed out before getting inside the cabin. Wind noise is kept to a minimum, but we found there was a bit more road noise than the last Malibu we drove. We’re wondering if Chevrolet removed a fair amount of sound deadening to help make the new Malibu lighter. Around corners, the Malibu’s suspension keeps body motions in check. Steering has a direct feel, but a little bit more weight wouldn’t be a bad thing. No, it will not challenge a Mazda6 for the best driving midsize sedan. But having a nice balance between the two isn’t too bad.

Pricing for the Chevrolet Malibu starts at $22,500 for the base L and climbs to $31,795 for the Premier. The 2LT starts at $28,620 and our tester came with an as-tested price of $29,495. But I’m not sure if the 2LT is a good value. Part of it comes from the interior appointments that are used in the 2LT trim. But the other part comes from the lack of options. Yes, the 2LT comes well equipped with 18-inch wheels, power seat for the driver, eight-inch touchscreen, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, and front collision warning with automatic braking. But you cannot option such features as dual-zone climate control, leather, navigation, or a premium audio system. To get those, you need to drop down to the 1LT with the turbo 1.5L or go up to Premier if you want to keep the turbo 2.0L. However, the Premier doesn’t get most of the safety features as the 2LT. You’ll need to opt for a safety package to get these features. I can’t help but wonder if Chevrolet would be better off dropping the 2LT and figuring out a way to fill in the gap between the 1LT and Premier.

2016 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT 6

Chevrolet has done a lot to make the new Malibu a real threat in the midsize class. With sharp exterior styling, a punchy 2.0L turbo engine, the right balance of comfort and sport, and a larger interior space, Chevrolet seems to have righted most of the wrongs of the previous model. But it is the little things that trip up the Malibu. From the questionable interior materials to the overall value proposition, General Motors made some crucial missteps.

I have a theory about General Motors that sadly seems to get proven time and time again. They can build one of the best vehicles in the class, but there is one thing that spoils it. It could be the quality of the materials, interior space, powertrain, or something else. The 2016 Malibu 2LT is the latest one to prove it, which is a huge shame.

Disclaimer: Chevrolet Provided the Malibu, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2016
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Malibu
Trim: 2LT
Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC Four-Cylinder
Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Front-Wheel Drive
Horsepower @ RPM: 250 @ 5,300
Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 1,700
Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/33/26
Curb Weight: 3,126 lbs
Location of Manufacture: Kansas City, Kansas
Base Price: $28,620
As Tested Price: $29,495 (Includes $875.00 Destination Charge)

Options:
N/A

View full article

Nice review....and we are thinking along the same lines here. Inside just doesn't do it for me. It really does scream cheap, this after me driving a brand new accord for a few grand less!

This, and they lost much of the bang for buck they offer as well....other makers are offering more for less.....

The Malibu on the Premier trim with the brown interior is a lot more inviting, but I wouldn't say it's the best interior at that price, but the tech is first class.

However...I still believe that American cars while needing to be price competitive...they usually are near the top nowadays.

So

In order to get a competitive midsize sedan from Chevy that is at or near the top in many areas, the Malibu had to lose some of the value proposition. That's totally in line with what we should expect.

• Upvote 1

I sat in a Premium 2.0T at the auto show.

My high school buddy who lives close to me and is  the only dude I have contact with from my high school years  recently just bought a Premium 2.0T.

(his wife went from a Chevy SSR to a Honda HR-V and he went from a Genesis Coupe 2.0T to the Malibu this year)

And each time I have sat in the Malibu Premium, I come to the same conclusion...that the PREMIUM Malibu has an interior at the VERY LEAST that is ON PAR with anything else in that price range.

I personally think that a Malibu Premium has a nicer  interior than a 2013-2016 Fusion Titanium...and I already think that a 2013-2016 Fusion Titanium interior is pretty impressive at that price point.

OK...Ive also been in a 2013 Honda Accord....and in 2013, it was lacking in refinement....

Oh yes....a 2013 Accord Touring V6 was not exactly all that...cheap hard plastics galore...and if some of us at ChearsandGears even diss a 2013 Acura TL for cheapness...then I dont see how some of us are enamored with an Accord as the TL might have hard plastics...the tolerances are very tight and screwed together quite well.

The only thing that a 2013 Accord Touring has over a base 2013 Acura TL is that the price differential for the price of admittance for an "Acura" is not worth it. Step into a SH-AWD though...and the mechanicals tell a much different story. 

So to bring this back to the Malibu's interior, and the Fusion's to some extent,

Both dashs of an Accord, TL AND TLX are also CLUNKY...huge and outdated...

The Fusion is elegantly done and the Malibu just a tad less elegant, but certainly flows better than the Honda Motor Company's efforts...

Keep in mind that I actually own a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and a 2013 Ford Fusion 1.6 ecoboost SE.

Keep in mind that I LOVE my TL, but it doesnt mean that I dont feel claustrophobic at times when I look to my right and see that overwhelming huge and clunky center screen with a plethora of buttons...

lead11-2012-acura-tl-fd.jpg

The new generation still has that dated, clunky feel to it...

2016-Acura-TLX-interior.jpg

The Accord looks like its a generation older from the TLX....because it is....like the TL....huge, clunky....plethora of buttons....

Do the LCD screens fool us? Not me...

2017-Honda-Accord-Interior.jpg

So....I think Chevrolet did a fantastic job with their 2017 Malibu....especially in Premium trim....

Not as clunky, and definitely flows better...with a more premium FEEL to it than even the TLX...keep in mind though that Acura has tighter tolerances and is screwed together better...

248723.jpg

And the 2017  Fusion for reference for what I believe is the most simplest and most elegant...

%20%D9%81%D9%8A%D9%88%D8%AC%D9%86%202016

Olds, the top trim is "Premier." Besides that, preach!

Premier....Premium...

Close enough. 

Old age is slowly creeping up on me and little mistakes like these will only increase with time.

I noticed I made another snafu....my buddy's wife went from a Chevy HHR to a Honda HR-V.....

I wrote that she had a SSR...

No. Not a SSR.

A HHR.

Yeah, CP....Ill continue to preach!

It doesnt seem fair to me that FINALLY GM gets it right with their interiors since the 1980s with their mid-sized family car offerings, that we have to bitch complain about nothing....especially since not only did GM get it right, they are actually LEADERS (with Ford) in this segment concerning their interior refinement and quality.

The Nissan Altima is chintzy, clunky and outdated.

So is the Toyota Camry's. Maybe not clunky, but definitely chintzy and especially outdated.

The Hyundai/KIA Sonata/Optima...are nicer than the Altima's and Camry's...more modern and sportier, but compared to the Chevy Malibu Premier, definitely not better quality....

And Im basing my opinions on all vehicle cabins being the top level trims as the base level trims on most cars are the same across the board...same amounts of hard plastics and same quality.

The top level trims of Chevy and Ford rival entry level premium luxury cars...such as Buick and Acura and Lincoln.

Honda Accord comes close, but not everybody else.

When was the last time Chevy and Ford being on top like that?

And if you dont think so...maybe you should pay a second visit to the Accord, Altima, Sonata and leave the rose coloured glasses at home...

What I gleamed from the Fusion v. Malibu interior fight is this. The Fusion has more consistent materials in terms of graining, and has bigger patches of squishy stuff.

The Malibu has smaller patches of the squishy stuff...but the squishy stuff is strategically placed and of a deeper squishyness. And the brown interior is a nice change...too many top trim interiors are now either parchment leather that will show age easily or teutonic black which just seems trying too hard to be cold and calculating instead of warm and inviting.

And then the Fusion Platinum whacks every car that is supposed to have a luxury interior, but doesn't have leather on the dash or the doors.

Sync 3 is now a match for Mylink...the 4G LTE is nice stuff, but the Fusion screen while capacitive now too is still matte. That was a good choice.

Aside from that...the Fusion can have incentives to level the playing field for it's value. I like the front end of the Fusion more, but I like the rear end of the Malibu more. The side profiles are equal to me. They both use the same transmissions except the Chevy premier model, and similar enough engines, both have great hybrids.

Fusion inside looks better, hands down. 

But if the Malibu really wants to play with the big boys, then it still needs to dangle a carrot to steal from the "import" boys. That's where the 1LT needs to offer that bang for buck. They need to get those butts in seats, so the praise it does get from folks gets spread around.....and more folks into the showrooms as customers....

Don't give it away, just make sure it is lower......

I dont think Chevy needs to do anything other than just to stay on their present course toeing the line.

Why?

1. 1st generation Ford Fusion was a good first step in the right direction. 2nd generation Fusion and Ford just about got everything they needed to do right, got it right and now the Fusion is a force to be reckoned with. The refresh is just icing on the cake.

2. When GM did the Pontiac G6 and the Saturn Aura in 2005 and 2006, they did many things right so when the Malibu came in 2008, they created a 'Ford Fusion' situation in 2008 in where GM created a force to be reckoned with...

However, for the next generation and refresh, they dropped the ball big time...

Well, this 2017 Malibu rights the ship back unto the course where the 2008 model left off. However, CUVs  are what sell in 2017, so maybe huge sales numbers should not  be expected of this 2017 Malibu. But, be excited what Chevy will offer as the next Equinox knowing how  Chevy means business  with how they are producing their current line-ups...

Edited by oldshurst442

this is craziness. we picked up our new 16 1LT malibu today!  Insane that the neighbor 2 doors down picked up a new Fusion!  Coworker got a new Malibu a couple days ago too!

Got a member rides gallery and topic going on, anyways.....here is my take on the deal 

The Impala is still the solid posh v6 cornfield states cruiser.  It's your large and comfortable classic GM car.  It does that well.

This new Malibu is entirely different than the old Malibu.  It's leaps ahead.  But it still doesn't intrude on what the Impala is.  

The main thing is that the car was designed to be much more useful for space and then it's completely engineered for fuel efficiency.  So it has a light chassis.   A lot of that lightness comes into the cabin.  Materials and finishes are not thick and posh like they would be in an Impala.

The Malibu dead on nails the mid size class now though, and to me it's like i am getting a large and spacious economy car.  It's got a small turbo and basic interior.  It just has more room than a Cruze.  It's a 'move up econocar'.

Believe me,I've test driven a $h!hton of the cars in the midsize class.  All of them have their cheapness about them.  The Malibu is among one of it not the quietest.  The Mazda and Honda are tin cans in comparison. Passat is cheap and dated.  Fusion feels like a tank now.  Camry's and Altimas are terrible.  

It's crazy but to me this new Malibu is like my 99 SHO Taurus.  It sort of has that same feel inside the cabin with the big pod sticking out of the dash, and the seating positions etc. and the general Aura.  SHO had more go juice and was much heavier.  I think Chevy needs to double the 1.5t and put a 3.0 liter tt v8 under this hood...LOL

The midsize car class has become the new class of econocars.  Much cheaper than crossovers and get great mpg.  All the leaders in this class practically lease or fleet a bunch of them.  People that get these cars want something cheap and kind of nice to get them by a few years.  Something like an Impala is more like something you would keep a long time.  Midsize car class has become full with disposable cars, they are good cars, it is just more of a commentary on society today and the reality of the market.  Whoever makes the best consumer product wins and the interior only needs to just be 'nice enough'.

And now as of today being an owner..ok, leaser, i gotta tell you I like the interior a lot.

Can't wait to see the Regal based on this platform.

Edited by regfootball

I sat in a Premium 2.0T at the auto show.

My high school buddy who lives close to me and is  the only dude I have contact with from my high school years  recently just bought a Premium 2.0T.

(his wife went from a Chevy SSR to a Honda HR-V and he went from a Genesis Coupe 2.0T to the Malibu this year)

And each time I have sat in the Malibu Premium, I come to the same conclusion...that the PREMIUM Malibu has an interior at the VERY LEAST that is ON PAR with anything else in that price range.

I personally think that a Malibu Premium has a nicer  interior than a 2013-2016 Fusion Titanium...and I already think that a 2013-2016 Fusion Titanium interior is pretty impressive at that price point.

OK...Ive also been in a 2013 Honda Accord....and in 2013, it was lacking in refinement....

Oh yes....a 2013 Accord Touring V6 was not exactly all that...cheap hard plastics galore...and if some of us at ChearsandGears even diss a 2013 Acura TL for cheapness...then I dont see how some of us are enamored with an Accord as the TL might have hard plastics...the tolerances are very tight and screwed together quite well.

The only thing that a 2013 Accord Touring has over a base 2013 Acura TL is that the price differential for the price of admittance for an "Acura" is not worth it. Step into a SH-AWD though...and the mechanicals tell a much different story. 

So to bring this back to the Malibu's interior, and the Fusion's to some extent,

Both dashs of an Accord, TL AND TLX are also CLUNKY...huge and outdated...

The Fusion is elegantly done and the Malibu just a tad less elegant, but certainly flows better than the Honda Motor Company's efforts...

Keep in mind that I actually own a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and a 2013 Ford Fusion 1.6 ecoboost SE.

Keep in mind that I LOVE my TL, but it doesnt mean that I dont feel claustrophobic at times when I look to my right and see that overwhelming huge and clunky center screen with a plethora of buttons...

lead11-2012-acura-tl-fd.jpg

The new generation still has that dated, clunky feel to it...

2016-Acura-TLX-interior.jpg

The Accord looks like its a generation older from the TLX....because it is....like the TL....huge, clunky....plethora of buttons....

Do the LCD screens fool us? Not me...

2017-Honda-Accord-Interior.jpg

So....I think Chevrolet did a fantastic job with their 2017 Malibu....especially in Premium trim....

Not as clunky, and definitely flows better...with a more premium FEEL to it than even the TLX...keep in mind though that Acura has tighter tolerances and is screwed together better...

248723.jpg

And the 2017  Fusion for reference for what I believe is the most simplest and most elegant...

%20%D9%81%D9%8A%D9%88%D8%AC%D9%86%202016

I love that fact that MY MALIBU doesn't have a dash that is completely dominated by a huge center stack with endless buttons.  We gots a few climate buttons, and the touchscreen and it doesn't take over the whole car.

brilliant!

^^^^^ you made lots of great points.

Edited by regfootball

The new Malibu's interior is fine. Abs the rest of the package easily makes up for any shortcoming.

I'd be curious to hear what midsize sedan you think has the best interior.

My take on that question is that the Mazda6 and Fusion are probably the nicest inside when optioned up. The Ford has the best for plastics I think. The Mazda has sort of a BMW feel with the right color and trim choice.

Really love the interior on my new Malibu. So much that I left it in the garage the last couple days. Don't want to put too many miles on it....want it to stay nice.

Saturday we loaded it with 4 people and that to us is a lot of extra mass to haul around. Still in near 90 heat with a/c I pulled two separate 40+ mpg runs of over 20 miles at I would say at least 60+ mph average. Stop and go of course kills the mpg like all small turbos. But this will pull 40+ mpg highway if you keep the rpm s under 2000-2500 at all times. It's cruises silently like a little baby sleeps. Concrete vs asphalt some tire noise creeps in but it's minimal. Far quieter than Hondas. With a lightweight single person on board and mild climate this car should deliver big quiet mpg Ina comfortable way.

All the points I touch in the car are soft. Plastics look ok to me when I consider what my lease payment is. Kids love the spacious back with tons of room (gm finally gets it) and the USB ports and cup holders in armrest. My son enjoyed using the iPad with the built in 4g hotspot. The storage below the center armrest will hold the iPad mini. Wife thinks CarPlay is cool. Send and receive texts while driving. Maps via phone a big hit. Some CarPlay bugs but those will get figured out. Plenty of room for four. No complainers. Could drive all day.

Car is nice enough for its class and Impala gives you whatever else you are missing. When you examine every component closely on the Malibu you see how they pared away all the excess weight and thickness. It actually is a bit unnerving to look at pieces of the car and how seemingly insubstantial they look compared to what you are used to seeing in a GM car.

Carpet feels thinner. Brackets plates suspension pieces are thinner, not as wide and have more holes in them. Trunk lid feels the weight of tin foil compared to older gm cars.

If that worries you then just get an Impala. Problem solved.

I read one review somewhere that said the new Malibu was quieter inside and had nicer ride and steering than a new Maxima. I have to say I could believe that as quite possible.

The brown interior is the best, reminds me of Buick.

I also like the Brown seat leather option on the Fusion.

The brown interior is the best, reminds me of Buick.

I also like the Brown seat leather option on the Fusion.

You like the brown material....because you are a brown man, my friend.

:smilewide:

Edited by oldshurst442

hue hue hue....

RUSSEELLL!!!!

LAHALA!!!

To many car companies now make drab black on black interiors.

I like car interiors that HAVE shiny burl wood trim - because that's what used to be luxo. You know, every car wood have wood, and a tasteful varnish, and it used to be all the rage man.

And brown colour leather is like better man. It is like better. It is better than better. It is the best....or er black leather...

hue hue hue....

RUSSEELLL!!!!

LAHALA!!!

To many car companies now make drab black on black interiors.

I like car interiors that HAVE shiny burl wood trim - because that's what used to be luxo. You know, every car wood have wood, and a tasteful varnish, and it used to be all the rage man.

And brown colour leather is like better man. It is like better. It is better than better. It is the best....or er black leather...

LOL, was having this exact debate with my senior parents who are looking at trading in their 2004 SRX for a new XT5. They said classics never die, give me black on black. I showed them the warm brown option. Dad is like nope do not like change, my mom on the other hand was, love that reminds me of a latte. Warm and yummy.  :blink:  Only a mother could say something like that about an interior. We'll the battle has begun, mom wants a two tone warm and yummy interior, dad wants classic.

Wonder who will win!  :deathwatch:

Mr. DFELT...

Im guessing your parents are married for a looooong time.

Your dad has learned the single most important set of words in a marriage...

Yes dear.

Im putting my money on your mom winning this....

No contest, therefore no popcorn is needed...

(Im not there yet, Im still learning...popcorn is needed in my household. The battles dont go my way though. Im still trying to win the war but Im guessing Ill wave the white flag and surrender when Im old and gray...)

Edited by oldshurst442

Mr. DFELT...

Im guessing your parents are married for a looooong time.

Your dad has learned the single most important set of words in a marriage...

Yes dear.

Im putting my money on your mom winning this....

No contest, therefore no popcorn is needed...

(Im not there yet, Im still learning...popcorn is needed in my household. The battles dont go my way though. Im still trying to win the war but Im guessing Ill wave the white flag and surrender when Im old and gray...)

Normally I would say you are right and mom would win, but after 56 years of marriage, lately I noticed my dad has started to change and once he is set in his mind will not even want to debate it. Both have become rather stubborn in their old age.

Soooooooo, I have to say I will wait and see. :P

I've seen SO many new Malibu's around Philadelphia, and not all rentals (you can tell based on stickers), the 1LT 1.5T seems to be the top combo.

Had a chance to ride in a house guest's rented white LS model back in May. That car, straight from the factory, comfortable cloth seats, CarPlay and all, was very impressive. My guests were from Germany and even they enjoyed it, and the kids loved CarPlay and had it mastered. Smooth, solid, tight, great visibility out, felt roomy and that odd combo of feeling SOLID yet very lightweight and efficient at the same time.

Kind of puts in perspective, for a car like this, even in LS trim, for mid $20k's and under...why you would even bother with some of the less than impressive compact sedans out there that cost just as much and aren't nearly as well designed or refined.

It's not as posh as some, nor is the visual as impressive as a Mazda, or even the Ford, but it strikes a good balance. Much nicer than previous versions, and different than the Impala enough to make sense.

^^^^^^^^

do i buy a Cruze or a Malibu........mid size sedans are becoming the new class of economy cars.  Price difference is minimal, mpg difference is now minimal too.  The extra room and space makes all the difference in the world in terms of usability.  That's for us why we did the Malibu instead of the Cruze.

The Malibu feels light (you can definitely see and feel the lightness of the parts and the vehicle).  At the same time they pared it to the bone on weight and it doesn't feel like it will crumple from normal use.  I would say from driving it for 3 weeks now that they've probably done all they can on weight loss for a car this size now.  So it makes perfect sense to start adding room back into the vehicles again.

You see all the room in the back of the new one, and compare it to the 2013-2015 and you see the consumer response and you really wonder wtf the GM is thinking when it makes botches like that.  Look at the ATS and its useless back seat.  Seriously GM wtf get a clue.

Malibu - i can't wait to take the first long trip in it.  On the right pavement surface the car is tomb quiet with no tire noise and the engine purrs like a content little kitty and sips fuel.

Edited by regfootball

You see all the room in the back of the new one, and compare it to the 2013-2015 and you see the consumer response and you really wonder wtf the GM is thinking when it makes botches like that.  Look at the ATS and its useless back seat.  Seriously GM wtf get a clue.

The ATS is RWD entry premium and it's target market is singles and DINKs...so the rear seat space is less important than it would be with a family sedan like the Malibu...the ATS's competition all are pretty tight in the back...

but still the back seat is deficient even for that group of buyers and overall for the brand.  Go to many other forum sites.  Lots of folks who are interested in the ATS ultimately say they gave it up for consideration and bought other brands.  No point to building a car line that won't sell then.  It's also far less commodious than the competition in its group.

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      Award Worthiness Confirmed for Motor Trend 2017 Car of the Year - Chevrolet BOLT

Motor Trend plugged in their long term Chevrolet Bolt tester 13 months ago and today they announced that they have confirmed it lived up to every expectation of being the 2017 Car of the Year. It was not just a good affordable EV that eliminated range anxiety but after 17,000 miles deserved to be praised!
      They do state that the CUV was not perfect as they had two software updates that fixed issues and the shifter was replaced. With that said, maintenance for the year was $0. Cost of powering the EV CUV which had a total of 154 charges cost a total of $630.58 using 69 charges at the office, 47 charges at public for pay stations and 27 times at home. This compares to driving the same distance in a Toyota Prius that would cost $800 and a Kia Soul that would cost you $1,550 dollars.
      Over all the write up is very good with plenty of interesting info on living with an EV auto. As they state, the only EV available today for under $40,000 that you can go buy and drive off the lot same day. The motor trend staff is ready to make the switch.
      Breaking down monthly fuel costs:
      Bolt = $52.55 per month
      Prius = $66.67 per month
      Soul = $129.17 per month

Motor Trend 2017 Car of the Year Story
    • By William Maley
      When you’re buying a luxury flagship sedan, you are making a statement to the world. Drive an S-Class, 7-Series, XJ, or other sedans and the impressions can range from being someone important to just having a lot of money. But for some people, they don’t want their luxury sedan to make itself known to the world. They want to enjoy the features available on their sedan, but without making so much noise. That’s where the Genesis G90 could make some inroads. Part of Hyundai’s new luxury brand, the G90 has its sights set on the stalwarts of the flagship luxury class by offering many of the features and luxury appointments found in them at a very low price. We spent a week in a G90 Premium to see if this ploy could work.
      Genesis has injected a bit of style into the G90’s design. The key traits are a distinctive character line running the whole length of the vehicle and fenders that bulge out slightly. The rear end is slightly boring. However, the G90’s front end doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the design. The flat nose and large grille borrowed from the smaller G80 seems a bit out of place.
      Step inside and the G90 seems to have the design and materials nailed down. It is quite handsome with a simple dash design, genuine wood trim, and a mix of Nappa leather and soft-touch plastics. But take a longer look and you begin to notice some glaring issues. The steering wheel is a good example as it doesn't feel like it is covered in leather. Instead, it feels like textured vinyl. This is odd since a couple of months after the G90, I spent some time in the G80 Sport and found the steering wheel to feel like leather. Another issue is the center stack's button and knobs which appear to be borrowed from Hyundai’s parts bin. I’ll admit I’m nitpicking, but it's the little things that can make or break a flagship luxury sedan. 
      Settling in the G90, you cannot help but be impressed by the front seats. Upholstered in Nappa leather, the seats offer the right mix of cushioning and support for long drives. The driver’s seat comes with 22-way power adjustments, while the passenger has to make do with 16-way power adjustments. One nice touch is the seat moving back whenever the door is open to allow for easier entry and exit from the vehicle. Those sitting in the back will have no complaints as there is a large amount of head and legroom on offer. A folding armrest has controls for climate control, audio, and heated seats. Ultimate models add more luxuries such as power adjustments and a rear-seat entertainment system.
      A large 12.3-inch screen houses Genesis’ infotainment system. This is controlled through either a controller knob on the center console or a set of buttons below the screen. Using the system is a breeze thanks to an easy to understand interface and the various control methods on offer. The screen is vibrant and allows you to have two functions up at the same time - having audio on one side and the navigation on the other. There are some areas Genesis can improve on. For one, the G90 doesn’t offer Apple CarPlay or Android Auto compatibility - something most of the competition does. Also, it would be nice to have more than two USB ports - one in the front and the other in the rear - so that people are not fighting over who gets to charge their phone.
      Genesis offers two engines on the G90. Our base Premium tester came with the 3.3L twin-turbo V6 with 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque. The uplevel Ultimate features the 5.0L V8 with 420 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic is equipped with either engine and there is a choice of rear-wheel or HTRAC all-wheel drive - our test car had the latter. Unless you want the rumble of the V8, the twin-turbo V6 is the engine to go for. For one, the V6 feels just as fast as the V8. Outlets who have timed both say the V6 can match the V8 in 0-60 mph. Plus, the V6 feels more eager to accelerate thanks to torque arriving at 1,300 rpm. The eight-speed automatic delivers smooth shifts and doesn’t show any hesitation to downshift when more power is needed.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 2018 G90 3.3T HTRAC AWD stand at 17 City/24 Highway/20 Combined. My average for the week landed around 20.2 mpg.
      The G90’s ride is similar to big 70’s Buick or Cadillac, soft and pillowy thanks to the standard adaptive dampers. Even with the G90 set in Sport mode, the dampers were still able to keep road imperfections at bay. In terms of noise isolation, the G90 is towards the top. Road and engine noise are nonexistent inside. Only a little wind noise is noticeable. This makes the G90 a perfect car to take a long road trip. 
      The trade-off to the soft ride is a fair amount of body roll in corners, even in the sport mode. Steering is light, but has a precise feel. If you’re looking for a luxury sedan that is a bit fun on a winding road, we are happy to point you in the direction of a Cadillac CT6 or Jaguar XJ.
      The 2018 Genesis G90 significantly undercuts the competition when it comes to price. Our Premium tester came with a base price of $70,850 with the HTRAC AWD system. Add a $975.00 destination charge to get our as-tested price of $71,825. Considering that includes the 12.3-inch infotainment system, three-zone climate control, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, and surround view camera system, it makes the G90 very much a steal.
      The Genesis G90 may not shout out its intention of being a flagship sedan, but it goes about its business quietly. It delivers the smooth ride, long list of equipment, and understated looks a number of folks are looking for. The punchy twin-turbo V6 and low price are just the cherries on top. However, the G90 does cut some corners in terms of the materials. Considering the competition that the G90 is going up against, this is a big black mark for an otherwise excellent sedan.
      As they say, the devil is in the details.
      Disclaimer: Genesis Provided the G90 Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Genesis
      Model: G90
      Trim: 3.3T Premium HTRAC
      Engine: 3.3L Twin-Turbo DOHC 24-Valve V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 365 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 376 @ 1,300 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 17/24/20
      Curb Weight: 4,784 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $70,850
      As Tested Price: $71,825 (Includes $975.00 Destination Charge)
      Options: N/A

View full article
    • By William Maley
      When you’re buying a luxury flagship sedan, you are making a statement to the world. Drive an S-Class, 7-Series, XJ, or other sedans and the impressions can range from being someone important to just having a lot of money. But for some people, they don’t want their luxury sedan to make itself known to the world. They want to enjoy the features available on their sedan, but without making so much noise. That’s where the Genesis G90 could make some inroads. Part of Hyundai’s new luxury brand, the G90 has its sights set on the stalwarts of the flagship luxury class by offering many of the features and luxury appointments found in them at a very low price. We spent a week in a G90 Premium to see if this ploy could work.
      Genesis has injected a bit of style into the G90’s design. The key traits are a distinctive character line running the whole length of the vehicle and fenders that bulge out slightly. The rear end is slightly boring. However, the G90’s front end doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the design. The flat nose and large grille borrowed from the smaller G80 seems a bit out of place.
      Step inside and the G90 seems to have the design and materials nailed down. It is quite handsome with a simple dash design, genuine wood trim, and a mix of Nappa leather and soft-touch plastics. But take a longer look and you begin to notice some glaring issues. The steering wheel is a good example as it doesn't feel like it is covered in leather. Instead, it feels like textured vinyl. This is odd since a couple of months after the G90, I spent some time in the G80 Sport and found the steering wheel to feel like leather. Another issue is the center stack's button and knobs which appear to be borrowed from Hyundai’s parts bin. I’ll admit I’m nitpicking, but it's the little things that can make or break a flagship luxury sedan. 
      Settling in the G90, you cannot help but be impressed by the front seats. Upholstered in Nappa leather, the seats offer the right mix of cushioning and support for long drives. The driver’s seat comes with 22-way power adjustments, while the passenger has to make do with 16-way power adjustments. One nice touch is the seat moving back whenever the door is open to allow for easier entry and exit from the vehicle. Those sitting in the back will have no complaints as there is a large amount of head and legroom on offer. A folding armrest has controls for climate control, audio, and heated seats. Ultimate models add more luxuries such as power adjustments and a rear-seat entertainment system.
      A large 12.3-inch screen houses Genesis’ infotainment system. This is controlled through either a controller knob on the center console or a set of buttons below the screen. Using the system is a breeze thanks to an easy to understand interface and the various control methods on offer. The screen is vibrant and allows you to have two functions up at the same time - having audio on one side and the navigation on the other. There are some areas Genesis can improve on. For one, the G90 doesn’t offer Apple CarPlay or Android Auto compatibility - something most of the competition does. Also, it would be nice to have more than two USB ports - one in the front and the other in the rear - so that people are not fighting over who gets to charge their phone.
      Genesis offers two engines on the G90. Our base Premium tester came with the 3.3L twin-turbo V6 with 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque. The uplevel Ultimate features the 5.0L V8 with 420 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic is equipped with either engine and there is a choice of rear-wheel or HTRAC all-wheel drive - our test car had the latter. Unless you want the rumble of the V8, the twin-turbo V6 is the engine to go for. For one, the V6 feels just as fast as the V8. Outlets who have timed both say the V6 can match the V8 in 0-60 mph. Plus, the V6 feels more eager to accelerate thanks to torque arriving at 1,300 rpm. The eight-speed automatic delivers smooth shifts and doesn’t show any hesitation to downshift when more power is needed.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 2018 G90 3.3T HTRAC AWD stand at 17 City/24 Highway/20 Combined. My average for the week landed around 20.2 mpg.
      The G90’s ride is similar to big 70’s Buick or Cadillac, soft and pillowy thanks to the standard adaptive dampers. Even with the G90 set in Sport mode, the dampers were still able to keep road imperfections at bay. In terms of noise isolation, the G90 is towards the top. Road and engine noise are nonexistent inside. Only a little wind noise is noticeable. This makes the G90 a perfect car to take a long road trip. 
      The trade-off to the soft ride is a fair amount of body roll in corners, even in the sport mode. Steering is light, but has a precise feel. If you’re looking for a luxury sedan that is a bit fun on a winding road, we are happy to point you in the direction of a Cadillac CT6 or Jaguar XJ.
      The 2018 Genesis G90 significantly undercuts the competition when it comes to price. Our Premium tester came with a base price of $70,850 with the HTRAC AWD system. Add a $975.00 destination charge to get our as-tested price of $71,825. Considering that includes the 12.3-inch infotainment system, three-zone climate control, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, and surround view camera system, it makes the G90 very much a steal.
      The Genesis G90 may not shout out its intention of being a flagship sedan, but it goes about its business quietly. It delivers the smooth ride, long list of equipment, and understated looks a number of folks are looking for. The punchy twin-turbo V6 and low price are just the cherries on top. However, the G90 does cut some corners in terms of the materials. Considering the competition that the G90 is going up against, this is a big black mark for an otherwise excellent sedan.
      As they say, the devil is in the details.
      Disclaimer: Genesis Provided the G90 Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Genesis
      Model: G90
      Trim: 3.3T Premium HTRAC
      Engine: 3.3L Twin-Turbo DOHC 24-Valve V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 365 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 376 @ 1,300 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 17/24/20
      Curb Weight: 4,784 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $70,850
      As Tested Price: $71,825 (Includes $975.00 Destination Charge)
      Options: N/A
    • By regfootball
      Driven: 2018 Buick Regal Sportback Essence 2.0t
      (the original review is in this post.  A revised review is further down, in this post)
      HIGHS:
      -Nice understated shape conceals a cleverly integrated hatchback design
      -'Decent' propulsion from 2.0t engine
      -Nicely shaped upper dash with touchsreen oriented slightly to driver.  Interesting at least from a design standpoint.
      -Sporting driving position and good room in both rows, mostly, plus the biggest benefit being improved leg room over previous model
      -Really nice cargo space, with seats up, or seats down, the cargo area of this vehicle and the flexibility of it in a car like this IMO is a major draw
      -View outside of this vehicle is improved over its platform mate (Malibu, my daily driver) due to the rear door glass being longer and taller.  View out the front and rear is essentially the same.
      -AWD availability is a nice plus, thanks Buick.
      LOWS:
      -I can't recall any of the GM vehicles I have driven with this ubiquitous 2.0t engine, where i have actually been wowed or impressed by it.  It has decent thrust, but honestly you gotta spool it up a bit, the tranny doesn't respond instantly, it's not a five star smooth tranny, and it's kind of rough and noisy overall as a powertrain (AT LEAST FOR IT'S PRICE / CLASS).  I was hoping the 2.0 would make the car match the near luxury description but I don't think it's overall a smooth enough powertrain to meet that claim.  It's neither smooth, nor sporting or exciting.  And this is with front wheel drive.  I will reserve final judgment until i get in the GS with the v6, which is the engine I think most people will really end up liking in this car.
      -Heavier than it's Malibu platform mate.  No doubt acceptable due to the larger engine, but the benefit of the extra weight doesn't manifest itself in any real tangible way anywhere in the ride and drive of the car.
      -Not really any quieter inside than my Malibu.  Strange, because this Buick is supposed to have quiet tuning, and goo in the tires to help make it quieter.  The ride isn't really any more plush, either.
      -Steering is sort of dead and mushy.  That's not GERMANIC now, is it.
      -NEED TO BE ABLE TO TURN OFF THE AUTOSTOP WHEN YOU WANT TO.
      -Not really much nicer inside than in my Malibu.  The lower dash is the same 'less expensive' plastic you see in cheap Chevy's.  The door panels are a little nicer, but not that much more.  Many switches and buttons are the same.  The console is nicer (I don't like the shifter centered in the console now actually, it's quite a reach) I guess...except for cupholders in front of the climate controls.  The upper dash material is an upgrade over the Malibu, but it's not a PREMIUM dash material either.
      -I can't really tell for sure if the seats are better.  My Malibu seats are poor.  The Regal seats seemed to hug me more, but they still felt thin and insubstantial.  The leather quality was slightly better, but still nothing to write home about. 
      -Rear head room suffers a bit with the hatch design.  I don't mind the tradeoff personally, but the Malibu retains a bit more headroom, and the Regal TourX really has much more....so get the wagon if rear head room matters.
      -Sunroof was nice to have considering how bunkerlike the Malibu can feel....but again the hatch design limits the size of the sunroof here compared to the Malibu's BAMR.  I can live with the compromise here myself, and again, the wagon will satisfy your urge for BAMR if you need it.  I would encourage GM to develop a way to integrate a larger moonroof with the hatch design.  I think it could be done, but would require time and money on a redesign effort.
      -Options / packages on this car are, simply put, stupid.  But that merits its own post.  At least in this car, the heated steering wheel and leather heated seats were both included.  You can actually get this car with heated steering wheel but without heated seats.  How f-cked up is that?  In 2019, Fusion, Toyota, and others will have things like blind spot and cross path detection as standard equipment.  And those are not 'premium' makes.
      -I'll let others decide if they think the styling is too tepid.  I don't mind the understated styling but do admit that the color selections that are available on this car leave me wanting.  I like the red on the GS, and the smoked pearl metallic is nice.  And Buick seems to think they should charge extra for paint colors when they don't make the ride and drive anything special.
      -pricing.  I think the average nature of this car would be easily forgiven if the pricing were in line with being an average car; not priced for a premium marque.  Like the LaCrosse and Envision, it is best to wait out the model year if you are buying and wait for the inevitable 7,000-10,000 or more in discounts...which might bring the pricing in line with what the vehicle really is.  You can't say this vehicle is appealing at the prices it is at now.  
      SUMMARY:
      This probably seems like a negative review, but you should consider it more of underwhelmed and let down.  This car as I drove it just doesn't have any kind of endearing personality to speak of!  At the end of the day, it took Buick two extra years to bring to the US it's own Malibu clone, which doesn't have much more to show for it.... apart from the clever hatch and base 2.0 engine upgrade over the 1.5.  I actually am very curious now to be among the first to try the 2019 Malibu 1.5t + CVT combo.  But that's an aside for another discussion.  The 2.0 that general motors puts in so many vehicles has never impressed me, and that's due more to it's character than anything.  I had hopes this would be the ONE CAR that it would feel sporting in; one that would make the car feel at least a little, like a SPORTS SEDAN.  Nope.  I will wait with baited breath to someday find a v6 GS to test, as i think it will be the only Regal worth anything.  At least worth anything more than just being another option in the midsize, genericar class.  And I hope Buick is working on a twin turbo six option as well for the GS (GSX?).  I tend to think this car won't move the needle in marketplace excitement until it has a tire shredder under the hood to brag about...The v6 will promise smoother revs and deeper lungs at least......... Still, as a replacement in the bottom end of the Buick lineup for the Verano, I am ok with this.  Just please, sex it up!

• By William Maley
      Chevrolet has spilled a bit more information on the upcoming 2019 Silverado's powertrain lineup. The big story is a new turbocharged 2.7L four-cylinder becoming the base engine for the volume LT and new RST trims. We'll give you a moment to work through the shock that you're most likely experiencing.
      The 2.7 is rated at 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque. The torque figure is impressive when you consider that the 4.3L V6 (now relegated to the W/T, Custom, and Custom Trail Boss trims) produces 22 percent less torque. 0-60 mph is said to take under seven seconds. This engine can also run on just two cylinders. No word on fuel economy, but we wouldn't be surprised if this engine is close to the top in terms of the Silverado's powertrain lineup.
      The complete list of powertrain options available on the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado
      4.3L V6, 6-Speed Automatic: 285 horsepower and 305 pound-feet of torque Turbocharged 2.7L 4-Cylinder, 8-Speed Automatic: 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque 5.3L V8, 6- or 8-Speed Automatic: 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque 3.0L Turbodiesel I-6, 10-Speed Automatic: TBD 6.2L V8, 10-Speed Automatic: 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque “A major focus of the next-generation Silverado is expanding the range of choices. With all-new engines and a broader model range, there’s a Silverado for everyone, whether you’re buying your first pickup or your tenth,” said Tim Asoklis, chief engineer for the Silverado 1500.
      Source: Chevrolet
      A SILVERADO — AND AN ENGINE — FOR EVERY NEED
      The all-new 2019 Silverado 1500 offers six engine and transmission combinations, including an all-new 2.7L Turbo, and V-8 engines with industry-first Dynamic Fuel Management offering 17 different modes of cylinder deactivation DETROIT — With eight trims paired with six engine/transmission combinations, even more customers will find a 2019 Silverado 1500 perfectly tailored to their needs for performance, efficiency, technology and value.
      “A major focus of the next-generation Silverado is expanding the range of choices,” said Tim Asoklis, chief engineer for the Silverado 1500. “With all-new engines and a broader model range, there’s a Silverado for everyone, whether you’re buying your first pickup or your tenth.”
      The all-new 2019 Silverado 1500 propulsion lineup includes:  
      Over half of the models will be equipped with the most advanced V-8s in the brand’s history: updated versions of Chevrolet’s proven 5.3L and 6.2L engines equipped with industry-first Dynamic Fuel Management featuring 17 different modes of cylinder deactivation. An all-new, advanced 2.7L Turbo engine that replaces the 4.3L V-6 as the standard engine on the high-volume Silverado LT and new Silverado RST, expected to offer 22 percent more torque, greater fuel efficiency and a stronger power-to-weight ratio than the current model. Proven 4.3L V-6 and 5.3L V-8 engines deliver full-size truck capability and performance for the most affordable trucks in the Silverado lineup. An all-new, Duramax 3.0L inline-six turbo diesel will be available in early 2019. A Silverado — and an engine — for every need
      Each engine/transmission combination is matched with exterior design and interior features to create distinct personalities for each Silverado trim, based on three broad customer profiles: High Value, High Volume and High Feature.
      High Value — For customers seeking full-size truck capability and the highest level of affordability, the Work Truck (WT), Custom and Custom Trail Boss trims offer two proven engine and transmission combinations:
      Standard: 4.3L V-6 with Active Fuel Management and a six-speed automatic transmission (SAE-certified at 285 hp/305 lb-ft). Available: 5.3L V-8 with Active Fuel Management and a six-speed automatic transmission (SAE-certified at 355 hp/383 lb-ft). High Volume — For customers shopping in the heart of the truck market, the LT, RST and LT Trail Boss trims balance technology, efficiency and performance:
      Standard for LT and RST: All-new 2.7L Turbo with Active Fuel Management and stop/start technology paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission (SAE-certified at 310 hp/348 lb-ft). Standard on LT Trail Boss and available on LT and RST: An updated 5.3L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and stop/start technology with an eight-speed automatic transmission (SAE certified at 355 hp/383 lb-ft). Available on LT and RST: The all-new Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel with stop/start technology paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission will be available in early 2019. High Feature — For customers shopping for a premium truck, the LTZ and High Country trims offer the highest levels of performance and technology, including:
      Standard: Updated 5.3L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and stop/start technology paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission (SAE certified at 355 hp/383 lb-ft). Available: Updated 6.2L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and stop/start technology paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission (SAE certified at 420 hp/460 lb-ft). Available: The all-new Duramax 3.0L inline-six Turbo-Diesel with stop/start technology paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission will be available in early 2019. Improved Driving Experience
      The performance of each engine/transmission combination benefits from a truck that is lighter and more aerodynamic than the previous model.
      “With less weight and less wind resistance, we improved the driving dynamics without sacrificing fuel efficiency,” said Asoklis. “The next-gen Silverado is a bigger truck, but the chassis feels more responsive and acceleration is more pronounced. I would argue it’s the best-driving truck we have ever built.”
      The 2019 Silverado is larger than before, including a wheelbase that is up to 3.9 inches (100mm) longer, yet overall length is only 1.6 inches (41mm) longer, enabling both more cargo volume and more interior room for all cab lengths. Remarkably, it’s also lighter, weighing up to 450 pounds (204 kg) less than the current Silverado when comparing crew cab V-8 models, due to extensive use of mixed materials and advanced manufacturing.
      To improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the next-gen Silverado, the front grille features functional air curtains, similar to those introduced on the sixth-generation Camaro, that reduce wind drag by routing air around the front wheel wells. The powerful side profile also enhances aerodynamics, with an integrated spoiler at the rear edge of the cab that directs air onto the contoured tailgate, reducing wind drag from the bed. Most models also feature active aero shutters integrated in the front grille that close to reduce wind drag and open to provide improved engine cooling when needed. Changes like these result in a 7 percent increase in total aerodynamic efficiency.
      From the family of the Most Dependable, Longest Lasting full-size pickups on the road*
      For the new Silverado, Chevy set the lofty goal of improving on the legacy of the Most Dependable, Longest Lasting full-size pickups on the road. To do so, the next-gen truck will be subjected to more than 475,000 validation tests and accumulate a staggering seven million miles of real-world testing before the first 2019 Silverado 1500 is delivered to customers.
      That includes a battery of tests for the Silverado engines and transmissions that will simulate a range of customer needs:
      Each type of engine was first subjected to a “torture test” in a dynamometer test cell, running for months nonstop to simulate a lifetime of maximum hot and cold cycles. Each Silverado variant is certified to the SAE J2807 standard for towing and payload capacity. Certification requires a full battery of grueling tests such as the Davis Dam test, in which the truck must carry its maximum gross combined vehicle weight up a 7 percent grade in 110-degrees F (43 degrees C) heat, with no reduction in performance, including air-conditioning. Chevrolet engineers prove every Silverado engine and transmission design for lubrication capability on tilt stands, originally developed for Corvette, that tilt at an angle of up to 53 degrees and can simulate angles at a rate of up to 40 degrees a second — the equivalent of up to 1.4g. Production plans
      Silverado production commences with crew-cab V-8 models starting in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, production will expand to include regular- and double-cab models, as well as V-6 and 2.7L Turbo engines. The new Duramax 3.0L inline-six turbo diesel will be available in early 2019.
      EPA fuel economy estimates and towing/payload capacities are not yet available, and will be announced closer to launch.
      2019 CHEVROLET SILVERADO PROPULSION LINEUP

4.3L V-6
      w/AFM (6-spd.) 2.7L I-4 Turbo w/AFM (8-spd.)  
      5.3L V-8 w/AFM (6-spd.)
      5.3L V-8 w/DFM (8-spd.)
      3.0L I-6 Turbo-Diesel  (10-spd.)
      6.2L V-8 w/DFM (10-spd.)
      Work Truck (WT)
      Std.
      --
      Avail.
      --
      --
      --
      Custom
      Std.
      --
      Avail.
      --
      --
      --
      Custom Trail Boss
      Std.
      --
      Avail.
      --
      --
      --
      LT
      --
      Std.
      --
      Avail.
      Avail.
      --
      RST
      --
      Std.
      --
      Avail.
      Avail.
      --
      LT Trail Boss
      --
      --
      --
      Std.
      --
      --
      LTZ
      --
      --
      --
      Std.
      Avail.
      Avail.
      High Country
      --
      --
      --
      Std.
      Avail.
      Avail.
      * Dependability based on longevity: 1987-July 2017 full-size pickup registrations.
      ALL-NEW 2.7L TURBO ENHANCES VERSATILITY OF THE 2019 SILVERADO
      Technological powerhouse delivers performance and efficiency DETROIT — The all-new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 will be offered with an all-new, technologically advanced 2.7L Turbo that expands the range of available engines and builds upon additional choices to help customers find the Silverado that perfectly suits their needs.
      Standard on LT and RST trims, the new engine delivers an SAE-certified 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque, for 22 percent more torque than the 4.3L V-6 it replaces. Developed specifically for truck applications, the new 2.7L Turbo inline four-cylinder engine delivers peak torque from 1,500 to 4,000 rpm.
      The next-gen Silverado with the 2.7L Turbo delivers 0-60 mph performance in less than seven seconds and weighs 380 pounds less than the current Silverado with the 4.3L V-6. Compared with competitive full-size trucks, the Silverado 2.7L Turbo is expected to deliver comparable payload capability with greater torque than the 3.3L V-6 in the Ford F-150 XLT and the 3.6L V-6 in the Ram 1500 Big Horn.
      “The new 2.7L Turbo is a technological marvel, with our most advanced valvetrain,” said Tom Sutter, chief engineer for the 2.7L Turbo. “With a broad, flat torque curve and quick throttle response, it punches above its weight, delivering surprising performance and efficiency.”
      The cornerstone of the 2.7L Turbo is an innovative double overhead cam valvetrain that enables:
      Chevrolet’s first use of Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) on a four-cylinder engine. High- and low-lift valve profiles. Continuously variable valve timing. Additional engine technologies supporting the engine’s performance and efficiency include:
      Dual-volute turbocharger housing for improved throttle response and low-speed torque. Chevrolet’s first application of Active Thermal Management, which uses targeted engine heating and cooling to improve engine performance in hot and cold ambient temperatures. An integrated exhaust manifold that is part of the cylinder head assembly and recovers exhaust heat for faster engine and transmission warmup, with quicker turbo response. Stop/start technology that automatically stops the engine in stop-and-go traffic for fuel efficiency. An electric water pump that eliminates the drag of a conventional, engine-driven pump to enhance efficiency. It also enables continual cabin heating even when the engine is disabled by the stop/start feature. Designed as a truck engine
      The new 2.7L Turbo engine represents a clean-sheet design for Chevrolet and was developed from the outset as a truck engine.
      To help generate the strong low-end torque customers expect in a truck, it was designed with a long piston stroke of 4.01 inches (102mm), which is the distance the piston travels up and down within the cylinder.
      The long stroke enables improved combustion and thus a higher compression ratio. Typically, a long stroke can increase the load of the pistons against the cylinder walls, generating more friction. That’s alleviated in the 2.7L Turbo with an offset crankshaft. It is slightly off-center of the cylinders, allowing a more upright position for the connecting rods during their movement.
      To support the high cylinder pressures that come with turbocharging, the crankshaft and connecting rods are made of forged steel and the pistons are made of a tough aluminum alloy with a cast iron ring groove insert.
      All elements of the 2.7L Turbo were designed for the demands of turbocharged performance in a truck environment, and the engine was subjected to the same rigorous durability standards as the Silverado’s proven V-8 engines.
      The 2.7L Turbo features an aluminum block and cylinder head for reduced mass.
      Unique valvetrain offers more precise control
      The 2.7L Turbo’s valvetrain is GM’s first to incorporate variable lift, duration and Active Fuel Management to optimize performance and efficiency across the rpm band. It is a key reason the engine’s peak torque is available at only 1,500 rpm.
      The system’s electro-mechanical variable camshaft effectively allows the engine to operate with three different camshaft profiles, complementing the variable valve timing system to deliver optimized operating modes for different engine speeds and loads:  
      High valve lift for full power. Low valve lift for balance of power and efficiency. Active Fuel Management shuts down two of the cylinders in light load conditions to further conserve fuel. “It’s like having different engines for low- and high-rpm performance,” said Sutter. “The camshaft profile and valve timing is completely different at low and high speeds, for excellent performance across the board.”
      The camshaft design alters the lift of the intake and exhaust valves. As the engine load changes, electromagnetic actuators allow a movable shaft containing different cam lobes to shift imperceptibly between high-lift and low-lift profiles.
      Lift is the distance the valve travels from its seat when opened, and duration is the amount of time the valve remains open. Higher lift and longer duration allow more air to flow into the combustion chamber, so the system’s high-lift lobe profile enhances performance at higher rpm, while the low-lift profile optimizes efficiency at low- and mid-range speeds.
      Dual-volute turbocharger builds torque
      The 2.7L Turbo engine employs an advanced dual-volute turbocharger that elevates the performance and efficiency advantages of a conventional turbo, with quicker response and enhanced low-rpm torque production.
      Rather than a single spiral chamber (volute) feeding exhaust gas from the exhaust manifold to drive the turbine on the turbocharger, the dual volute design has a pair of separate chambers with two exhaust gas inlets and two nozzles to drive the turbine. The design allows the exhaust pulses of the engine to be leveraged for faster spool-up and subsequent boost production, particularly at low rpm, where the effect significantly enhances torque output and drivability.
      It works in unison with the engine’s integrated exhaust manifold/turbocharger housing, which splits the exhaust channels from the cylinder head so the exhaust flows through two separate channels in the turbo housing, based on the engine’s exhaust pulses. When complemented by the precision of the engine’s valvetrain, that separation leverages exhaust scavenging techniques to optimize gas flow, which decreases exhaust gas temperatures, improves turbine efficiency and reduces turbo lag.
      An electronically controlled wastegate and charge-air cooling system support the turbocharger and enhance its effectiveness. Compared to a conventional wastegate, the electronically controlled version offers more precise management of the engine’s boost pressure for smoother, more consistent performance.
      With the charge-air cooler, the pressurized, heated air generated by the turbocharger is pumped through a heat exchanger before it enters the engine. That lowers the air charge temperature by about 130 degrees F (74 C), packing the combustion chambers with cooler, denser air that enhances power production. The system achieves more than 80 percent cooling efficiency with less than 2 psi (12 kPa) flow restriction at peak power, contributing to the engine’s available torque production at low rpm.
      Additional features
      A variable-pressure oiling system with a continuously variable-displacement vane oil pump enhances efficiency by optimizing oil pressure as a function of engine speed and load. With it, the oil supply is matched to the engine requirements rather than the excessive supply of a conventional, fixed-displacement oil pump.
      Active Thermal Management helps the engine warm up faster and achieve its optimal engine temperature for performance and efficiency. The system uses a rotary valve system to distribute coolant through the engine in a targeted manner. It sends heat where it’s needed to warm up the engine to reduce friction and heat the cab, or cools when needed for high power operation.
      An electric water pump — a first for Chevy trucks — supports the Active Thermal Management system and further enhances the engine’s performance and efficiency by eliminating the parasitic drag that comes with a conventional engine-driven water pump.
      Direct fuel injection is used to optimize efficiency and performance. With direct injection, a higher compression ratio (10.0:1) is possible because of a cooling effect as the injected fuel vaporizes in the combustion chamber, reducing the charge temperature and improving resistance to spark knock. Direct injection also enables gas scavenging from the combustion chamber to the turbo for fast response.
      Dual overhead camshafts contribute to the 2.7L Turbo’s smoothness and high output, with dual independent continuously variable valve timing working with the valvetrain to deliver optimal performance and efficiency. The dual independent system, which allows the intake and exhaust valves to be phased at different rates, promotes linear delivery of torque with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response or driveability.
      An integrated exhaust manifold on the cylinder head assembly promotes faster engine warmup and quicker turbo response.
      Oil jets located in the block are employed for performance and temperature control. They target the underside of the pistons and the surrounding cylinder walls with an extra layer of cooling, friction-reducing oil. The jets reduce piston temperature, allowing the engine to produce more power and enhance long-term durability.
      Stop/start enhances fuel economy in city driving. The driver-selectable system shuts off the engine at stoplights and certain other stop-and-go situations, saving fuel. The engine automatically restarts when the driver takes their foot off the brake.
      The all-new 2.7L Turbo is matched with a Hydra-Matic eight-speed automatic transmission featuring enhancements designed to improve shift quality, as well as a new centrifugal pendulum absorber torque converter that reduces vibrations to improve smoothness.
      The all-new 2.7L Turbo will be built at the General Motors Spring Hill facility in Tennessee.
      The 2019 Silverado goes on sale this fall. EPA fuel economy estimates and towing/payload capacities are not yet available and will be announced closer to launch.

View full article
  • My Clubs