William Maley

Chevrolet News:Its Official! 2017 Chevrolet Bolt To Offer 238 Miles of Range

89 posts in this topic

The key problem with most electric vehicles is the lack of range. Currently, a number of electric vehicles only offer a range of under 120 miles. The general consensus is that for electric vehicles to take off, they would need at least 200 miles of range. Tesla made headlines earlier this year when it announced their upcoming entry-level model, the Model 3 would offer a range of 215 miles. But the Chevrolet Bolt, due out later this year will offer a longer range.

This morning, Chevrolet announced the Bolt is rated by the EPA to deliver an estimated range of 238 miles. 

“While range is important, we knew Bolt EV owners would want more — more space and more power — and the Bolt EV delivers. Our team took special pride in optimizing every aspect of this vehicle, especially its impressive range and ride dynamics,” said Bolt EV Chief Engineer Josh Tavel in a statement.

Chevrolet says Bolt pricing will start at under $37,500 and will qualify for the $7,500 federal tax credit.

Source: Chevrolet

Press Release is on Page 2

Bolt EV Offers 238 Miles of Range

DETROIT – Chevrolet promised to offer the first affordable electric vehicle with 200 miles or more of range and will exceed those expectations when the 2017 Bolt EV goes on sale later this year. With the vehicle’s EPA-estimated range of 238 miles, owners can expect to go beyond their average daily driving needs — with plenty of range to spare — in the 2017 Bolt EV when charging regularly.

“Chevrolet showed the world the production version Bolt EV earlier this year and in a few short months we’ve moved from that vision to a reality,” said GM North America President Alan Batey. “The Bolt EV is a game changer for the electric car segment and it will start to become available at Chevrolet dealerships later this year.”

Bolt EV buyers won’t be able to find a better value for an all-electric, thrill-inducing ride with an expected MSRP below $37,500 and before available federal tax credit of up to $7,500*. Plenty of range, cargo space, technology and safety features make the Bolt EV a great package for any driver.    

“While range is important, we knew Bolt EV owners would want more — more space and more power — and the Bolt EV delivers,” said Bolt EV Chief Engineer Josh Tavel. “Our team took special pride in optimizing every aspect of this vehicle, especially its impressive range and ride dynamics.”

When the Bolt EV arrives at select Chevrolet dealerships in late 2016, Chevrolet will offer a flavor of electrification to meet any customer’s needs. Whether it’s the pure electric Bolt EV, the Chevrolet Volt or the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid, Chevrolet dealerships are full of affordable options for an efficient and engaging driving experience. More information on the Chevrolet electric family and the benefits of driving electric can be found at ChevyEVlife.com.

*Final Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price not yet announced and does not include, tax, title, license or optional equipment. Actual savings from the federal government depend on individual tax situations.

View full article

I think this is fantastic.

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's a really competitive for a car that is half the price of a Tesla.  However, that honeymoon will likely be short as the next Nissan LEAF is going to have a range over 200 miles and has better name brand recognition than the Bolt. 

The big thing though is peoples mind set is changing...I work on a university campus.  many of our students would love to own an electric car.  at the very least, GM has a viable product, unlike say Mazda or Subaru.....or VW for that matter....VW lags in electric technology.

:metal: This is AWESOME and really rocks and now we also have 350+ mile EV Buses too

@Drew Dowdell I agree that Nissan Leaf has a bigger name recognition with the Leaf, but the BOLT will be out much longer and if Chevy does the right thing in marketing, this should have no problem selling big time. American Products have allot more respect then they did back at the start of the Prius days or even the Leaf days.

Just now, dfelt said:

:metal: This is AWESOME and really rocks and now we also have 350+ mile EV Buses too

@Drew Dowdell I agree that Nissan Leaf has a bigger name recognition with the Leaf, but the BOLT will be out much longer and if Chevy does the right thing in marketing, this should have no problem selling big time. American Products have allot more respect then they did back at the start of the Prius days or even the Leaf days.

Yeah, but people know the Nissan LEAF by name... all Nissan has to do is say, "Nissan LEAF, now with an estimated 250 mile range".  Some ad exec somewhere will get paid $45,000 to write that line too.  And it will work. 

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

I see that Chevy has also posted all 8 colors that are available for the first year and you can click on each one and see it.

They also list the two packages, LT or Premier.

Bolt Packages.jpg

• Upvote 1

In reviewing the Packages, The BOLT I would buy is the Premier with the Infotainment Package, Pass on the Driver Confidence II package. no need for all those damn nanny safety crap.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

In reviewing the Packages, The BOLT I would buy is the Premier with the Infotainment Package, Pass on the Driver Confidence II package. no need for all those damn nanny safety crap.

It doesn't look like it offers active cruise control.... if it had that, I would spring for it. 

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It doesn't look like it offers active cruise control.... if it had that, I would spring for it. 

Wonder if that will be a 2018 add on?

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Wait, how does the Volt get active cruise control and the Bolt doesn't?

Could it be that GM does not think people will take the BOLT on road trips compared to the VOLT? Good question to ask GM. :scratchchin:

"About a half hour or so later, the little Chevy Bolt and I rolled into the restaurant parking lot. I parked at a Level 3 fast charger and plugged in. Without particularly trying, I’d covered 241.4 miles, averaging 4.6 miles/kW-hr with an estimated 38 miles of range left. According to a screen I can’t specifically talk about, I’d used 51.9 kW-hrs of the battery’s 60-kW-hr capacity. Chevy says the Bolt, supported by Level 3 chargers like the one I’d plugged into, can gain 90 miles worth of range in 30 minutes, 160 miles worth in 60 minutes, and a full 238 miles of range in about two hours."

MT Bolt "Review"

I thought that was way cool. Sounds VERY promising!

How much for an LT with Comfort & Convenience in Kinetic Blue?  :wub:  TELL ME!

• Upvote 1

The Leaf isn't a good looking car, in fact it is an ugly car, that hurts it sales just as much as the range does.  The Bolt isn't a very good looking car either, it looks kind of like a lifted Sonic hatchback.  Tesla makes a good looking car that can accelerate like a Lamborghini, that's why it sells.  

I think 200 miles of range is enough to squash range anxiety, most people are not driving 200 miles in a day, you'd have to spend 4 hours in the car to get to that.  The Bolt has the range it needs, I don't think it has the looks.  When the Tesla comes, it will look cool, and the Tesla brand  name is like Apple when it comes to phones.  People just want it.

7 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Leaf isn't a good looking car, in fact it is an ugly car, that hurts it sales just as much as the range does.  The Bolt isn't a very good looking car either, it looks kind of like a lifted Sonic hatchback.  Tesla makes a good looking car that can accelerate like a Lamborghini, that's why it sells.  

I think 200 miles of range is enough to squash range anxiety, most people are not driving 200 miles in a day, you'd have to spend 4 hours in the car to get to that.  The Bolt has the range it needs, I don't think it has the looks.  When the Tesla comes, it will look cool, and the Tesla brand  name is like Apple when it comes to phones.  People just want it.

Your comparing a $30K ish car to a $134k car, or you're comparing a $30k car that we can see today and buy in a few weeks to a $40k car that no one has yet seen and very few can buy until 2019 or 2020..... 

The $66k Model S 60 does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds... or roughly the same as a Honda Accord V6.

Do your comparisons get any more absurd?

• Upvote 1

The Accord V6 isn't that fast, but regardless, the Model S has appeal due to the brand name and the looks and top trim performance.  I am not comparing the Bolt to the Model S, I am just saying the Bolt isn't that good looking of a car, which I think will hurt sales.  It isn't a spacious crossover either, the people spending $35-40k on vehicles have a dozen crossovers to pick from, that will look better and do a lot of things better than a Bolt does.

What Tesla did was make a car that looks as good as any of the competitors, better than any Lexus or the Panamera, it has more cargo space than a 5-series or Lexus LS460 or Panamera or Ghibli, and the Model S is faster than all those cars too in a similar price bracket.  The Model S isn't selling because just because it electric, it is selling because it is better than many of the competitors cars.

Bolt shoppers can get an MKC, Envision, Edge, Tiguan, GLA, X1, Q3, Q5, 3-series, Lexus NX, RDX, Q50, QX30, QX50, CX-9, Volvos, Subarus, etc.  There is a ton to pick from in the $30-40k range, the Bolt can't beat the field on looks, performance and cargo/passenger space like Tesla does with the Model S.

• Downvote 1

Bolt is really growing on me. Saw a test one shooting down 1-94...and it does catch your eye.. Having a 210 in my garage would make this an easy choice....

A base one is very tempting indeed....

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2016 at 7:18 PM, smk4565 said:

The Accord V6 isn't that fast, but regardless, the Model S has appeal due to the brand name and the looks and top trim performance.  I am not comparing the Bolt to the Model S, I am just saying the Bolt isn't that good looking of a car, which I think will hurt sales.  It isn't a spacious crossover either, the people spending $35-40k on vehicles have a dozen crossovers to pick from, that will look better and do a lot of things better than a Bolt does.

What Tesla did was make a car that looks as good as any of the competitors, better than any Lexus or the Panamera, it has more cargo space than a 5-series or Lexus LS460 or Panamera or Ghibli, and the Model S is faster than all those cars too in a similar price bracket.  The Model S isn't selling because just because it electric, it is selling because it is better than many of the competitors cars.

Bolt shoppers can get an MKC, Envision, Edge, Tiguan, GLA, X1, Q3, Q5, 3-series, Lexus NX, RDX, Q50, QX30, QX50, CX-9, Volvos, Subarus, etc.  There is a ton to pick from in the $30-40k range, the Bolt can't beat the field on looks, performance and cargo/passenger space like Tesla does with the Model S.

While ignoring that Tesla has a $35K competitor coming out eventually that also looks kind of fugly. 

And all those cars you mention at the end run on gas. Knowing that and willfully ignoring that, as you are here, is just silly to the pointless of sadness. This is by far the best option for the EV crowd right now. If you want an EV and want a nice range (both of which the Bolt offers), there simply is no better choice right now. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

While ignoring that Tesla has a $35K competitor coming out eventually that also looks kind of fugly. 

And all those cars you mention at the end run on gas. Knowing that and willfully ignoring that, as you are here, is just silly to the pointless of sadness. This is by far the best option for the EV crowd right now. If you want an EV and want a nice range (both of which the Bolt offers), there simply is no better choice right now. 

How big is the EV crowd?   My point is the Model S is better than many of its gas counterparts.  Is the Bolt better than most gas cars at $35k?

11 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

How big is the EV crowd?   My point is the Model S is better than many of its gas counterparts.  Is the Bolt better than most gas cars at $35k?

It's alot better at not burning gas than all of them.... And there is a market for cars like that.

Nissan sold 17,500 Leafs last year, BMW sold 11,000 i3's.  That is about the size of the EV market for this price point. It is less than 50,000 cars a year, vs how many million gas cars are sold between $30-45k?  Bolt has to steal sales from gas burners, therefore it has to be better than gas burners, at least some of them. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      G. David Felt - Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.cheersandgears.com
      Pamela Fletcher VP of BOLT Program to Head GM Global EV Program
      Today GM announced that Pamela Fletcher VP of the Chevrolet BOLT Program will lead the new GM Global Electric Vehicle Programs. Pamela oversaw the Cadillac ELR program, then the Chevrolet Spark EV and the Volt 2.0 before leading the BOLT program. In her new role she will report to Doug Parks who leads the GM Autonomous and Electric Vehicle Programs and lead the launch of GM's more than 20 EV auto's over the next 5 years.
      Pamela also led the development team that created Super Cruise, the industry's first hands free highway driver assist system.
      Under Pamela's leadership, GM will grow their Zero Emissions program around the Globe.
      GM News Release
    • By cp-the-nerd

2017 Cruze Hatchback Premier (1.4T/6A)
      Odo - 8051 mi

We just took the Cruze on a 1,000 mile road trip (from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach and back) and this was my first extended, in-depth experience driving and living with the car for a week. I'll break down the review into sections if you want to skip around.

Fuel Economy (EPA rated 28 city/37 highway):
      *Premium gas/mobil 1 oil used. Manual recommends regular gas, dexos approved synthetic oil.

On our trip, we achieved 39.3 mpg leaving Baltimore and 41.0 mpg coming back, based on the gauge cluster. My wife reports that it's fairly accurate, if optimistic by an mpg. Hand calculation is pretty much out the window because we have to hit 3 different gas stations with wildly different pump shut-offs and then we burn half a tank around town for the week. Sorry, I'm just not that invested when I know we can trust the gauge cluster.

We did not hypermile whatsoever, just used cruise control as much as possible. We passed slow traffic and drove aggressively when the situation called for it. No sitting behind slow traffic or drafting large trucks to fluff the numbers. We drove 7-10 over the speed limit, with most of the journey being 65 and 70 mph zones.

- From what I can tell, 75 mph seems to be the 40 mpg cutoff. 
      - 60 to 70 mph is the sweet spot for crushing the EPA highway rating.
      - The gauge cluster's "Best 50 mile average mpg" indicated we set a new high score of 49 mpg.

Engine/Transmission
      1.4T DI VVT is rated 153 hp/177 tq
      C&D test numbers for the premier hatchback auto: 0-60 in 7.7 sec, 1/4 mile in 16 @ 84 mph.

In my experience, the direct-injected 1.4T provides more than adequate acceleration and feels peppy. The tires will peel out a bit when floored from a stop, and the engine offers strong torque for low-stress highway merging or passing even with 2 people and probably 150 lbs of luggage. I also drove with 4 adult occupants and acceleration remained adequate around town without revving hard. At full throttle, the engine starts getting out of breath above 5500 rpm.

The transmission is more eco-tuned than I'd like, but the logic is a far cry from the mess of GM's first 6-speeds. Downshifting to accelerate takes a bit of prodding, but the downshift is drama free with a progressive surge of turbo torque that follows. After 6 hours on the road, we hit stop and go traffic briefly and under 25 mph the transmission tripped over itself a few times noticeably enough for my wife to point it out. Can't really be replicated on demand.

Steering/Handling

The electric power system in the Cruze has good heft to it, and the predictable turn-in seems to mask the electric numbness.

It's easy to drive, which is a comment I found myself coming back to frequently in my thoughts behind the wheel. It's not sporty, but it nails easy driving and commuting. The tires are all-season performance firestone firehawk GTs in 225/45R17 size. They handle securely, but make a lot of road noise in an otherwise quiet car. Michelins or Continentals will make a world of difference.

Brakes

One of the weak points of the car is the brake pedal. It sits an inch further forward than the gas pedal, which is very awkward in use. There's also too much play between gentle slowing and heavy braking. It feels like you're pushing through the floor to stop quickly.

Mechanically, the car has 4-wheel disk brakes, and they stop the car with authority. Pedal placement and feel is really the problem.

Conclusion

My wife and I really like the car. I keep coming back to the "easy to drive" sentiment, fun wasn't the goal here and I already have a car for that. It's very happy commuting and eating up highway miles at 40 mpg. I was comfortable in the seats for 8 hours of driving, which is very rare. The acceleration power straddles base versus optional engines of other cars like the Civic and Mazda 3 without sacrifice to maximum fuel economy, which is a good balance that hasn't left us wanting.

With a set of good tires and perhaps a tune in the far future, this car will be hanging around well beyond the last payment.
    • By William Maley
      The Toyota Highlander may not be the flashiest or fun to drive. But it has many qualities to make it one of Toyota’s best selling models such as functional and spacious interior, long list of standard equipment, and high-reliability marks. Last year, Toyota unveiled an updated Highlander with tweaks to the exterior, revised V6, and more safety. Considering it has been a few years since we last checked out the Highlander, it seemed a revisit was in order.
      The 2017 Highlander boasts new front and rear fascias to give it a more SUV-appearance and we think Toyota has mostly succeeded in this regard. The only issue is the front end reminding us too much of a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica TV. Thank the new grille design for this. Move inside and the Highlander is the same as we last saw it back in 2014 when we did our original review. This is both good and bad. The good is that the controls for the various functions are easy to use. The center console features a huge storage bin that you can easily fit a large purse or a laptop computer. A shelf underneath climate controls provides a nice space to throw small items such as a smartphone. The bad is that the controls for certain functions are not in easy reach for the drive. We also not fans of the capacitive touch buttons around the 8-inch touchscreen as they didn’t always respond. There were times we found ourselves hitting the buttons two to three times to get something to happen. The infotainment system itself is beginning to look somewhat dated with an interface that looks like it comes from the Windows XP era and the screen is somewhat dim. But we cannot argue that the system is easy to use thanks to a simple layout. Passengers sitting in the front and second-row seats will appreciate the large amount of head and legroom on offer. Also, the seats themselves are padded quite nicely. We do wish the second-row was mounted slightly higher for better long-distance comfort. The third-row seat as the seats aren’t that comfortable due to the thin amount of padding. Legroom is also quite tight with only 27.7-inches of space, meaning this is a space best reserved for small kids. Most Highlanders like our XLE AWD tester will feature Toyota’s latest 3.5L V6 that comes with direct and port fuel-injection and an upgraded valve train. The end result is 295 horsepower and 263 pound-feet of torque - up 25 and 15 respectively. This is paired with a new eight-speed automatic. Other engines include a four-cylinder for the base LE and a hybrid powertrain. Toyota’s V6 engine is one our favorites as it provides impressive acceleration and a steady stream of power up to redline. This updated engine is no exception as it feels slightly quicker than the last Highlander we drove.  The powertrain stumbles somewhat due to the eight-speed automatic’s programming. Toyota went for something that focuses on fuel economy which means the transmission is quick to upshift, but slow to downshift. This means you’ll be waiting for a moment or two for the transmission to get its act together when trying to merge onto a freeway. You might be fooled into thinking that you’re riding in a Lexus considering the smooth ride of the Highlander. Bumps are turned into minor ripples. Little road and wind noise that come inside. The Highlander is a vehicle you want to keep in its comfort zone when it comes to handling. Push it in a corner and you’ll experience excessive body roll. One thing Toyota deserves credit for the 2018 Highlander is having a number of active features standard across the entire Highlander lineup. This includes adaptive cruise control, automatic high beams, pre-collision warning with pedestrian detection and automatic braking; and lane departure warning with lane keep assist. The only item we would like to see added to this list is blind spot monitoring. You can only get it on XLE models and above. Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Highlander, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Highlander
      Trim: XLE AWD
      Engine: 3.5L DOHC D-4S with Dual VVT-i V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, 
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,600
      Torque @ RPM: 263 @ 4,700
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 20/26/22
      Curb Weight: 4,430 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Princeton, Indiana
      Base Price: $39,980
      As Tested Price: $43,184 (Includes $960.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Rear Seat BluRay Entertainment System - $1,810.00
      Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat - $225.00
      Body Side Molding - $209.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Toyota Highlander may not be the flashiest or fun to drive. But it has many qualities to make it one of Toyota’s best selling models such as functional and spacious interior, long list of standard equipment, and high-reliability marks. Last year, Toyota unveiled an updated Highlander with tweaks to the exterior, revised V6, and more safety. Considering it has been a few years since we last checked out the Highlander, it seemed a revisit was in order.
      The 2017 Highlander boasts new front and rear fascias to give it a more SUV-appearance and we think Toyota has mostly succeeded in this regard. The only issue is the front end reminding us too much of a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica TV. Thank the new grille design for this. Move inside and the Highlander is the same as we last saw it back in 2014 when we did our original review. This is both good and bad. The good is that the controls for the various functions are easy to use. The center console features a huge storage bin that you can easily fit a large purse or a laptop computer. A shelf underneath climate controls provides a nice space to throw small items such as a smartphone. The bad is that the controls for certain functions are not in easy reach for the drive. We also not fans of the capacitive touch buttons around the 8-inch touchscreen as they didn’t always respond. There were times we found ourselves hitting the buttons two to three times to get something to happen. The infotainment system itself is beginning to look somewhat dated with an interface that looks like it comes from the Windows XP era and the screen is somewhat dim. But we cannot argue that the system is easy to use thanks to a simple layout. Passengers sitting in the front and second-row seats will appreciate the large amount of head and legroom on offer. Also, the seats themselves are padded quite nicely. We do wish the second-row was mounted slightly higher for better long-distance comfort. The third-row seat as the seats aren’t that comfortable due to the thin amount of padding. Legroom is also quite tight with only 27.7-inches of space, meaning this is a space best reserved for small kids. Most Highlanders like our XLE AWD tester will feature Toyota’s latest 3.5L V6 that comes with direct and port fuel-injection and an upgraded valve train. The end result is 295 horsepower and 263 pound-feet of torque - up 25 and 15 respectively. This is paired with a new eight-speed automatic. Other engines include a four-cylinder for the base LE and a hybrid powertrain. Toyota’s V6 engine is one our favorites as it provides impressive acceleration and a steady stream of power up to redline. This updated engine is no exception as it feels slightly quicker than the last Highlander we drove.  The powertrain stumbles somewhat due to the eight-speed automatic’s programming. Toyota went for something that focuses on fuel economy which means the transmission is quick to upshift, but slow to downshift. This means you’ll be waiting for a moment or two for the transmission to get its act together when trying to merge onto a freeway. You might be fooled into thinking that you’re riding in a Lexus considering the smooth ride of the Highlander. Bumps are turned into minor ripples. Little road and wind noise that come inside. The Highlander is a vehicle you want to keep in its comfort zone when it comes to handling. Push it in a corner and you’ll experience excessive body roll. One thing Toyota deserves credit for the 2018 Highlander is having a number of active features standard across the entire Highlander lineup. This includes adaptive cruise control, automatic high beams, pre-collision warning with pedestrian detection and automatic braking; and lane departure warning with lane keep assist. The only item we would like to see added to this list is blind spot monitoring. You can only get it on XLE models and above. Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Highlander, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Highlander
      Trim: XLE AWD
      Engine: 3.5L DOHC D-4S with Dual VVT-i V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, 
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,600
      Torque @ RPM: 263 @ 4,700
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 20/26/22
      Curb Weight: 4,430 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Princeton, Indiana
      Base Price: $39,980
      As Tested Price: $43,184 (Includes $960.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Rear Seat BluRay Entertainment System - $1,810.00
      Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat - $225.00
      Body Side Molding - $209.00
    • By William Maley
      The news isn't getting any better at General Motors' CAMI plant where workers have been on strike for a month after the automaker and Canadian union Unifor were unable to reach an agreement. Already, the strike has caused GM to make adjustments and idle some of their plants in North America, and there are concerns about the shrinking stock of Chevrolet Equinoxes. 
      But now the stakes have been raised. According to Reuters and Automotive News, General Motors issued a warning to leaders at Unifor that it will start winding down production of the Equinox at CAMI unless the strike is called off. Unifor leader Jerry Dias was told by GM officials that the automaker would begin ramping up Equinox production at the San Luis Potosi and Ramos Arizpe, Mexico plants if the strike was not called off.
      "GM just told us today that they are going to ramp up production in Mexico. They have declared war on Canada," Diaz told Reuters.
      GM had no immediate comment on Dias' statement when reached by Reuters.
      According to a source at GM, the discussions between them and Unifor have been going nowhere and there is "a high degree of frustration." Because of this, GM is planning to study how quickly key suppliers for the Equinox could move their operations down to Mexico. No final decision on CAMI's fate has been decided according to the source, but the time frame for getting a deal done is narrowing.
      Mexico has been the dividing point between GM and Unifor. The union objected to GM's decision to lay off 600 workers at CAMI when it moved production of the GMC Terrain to Mexico. Unifor wants CAMI to be the lead plant for Equinox production by "giving it more production if Equinox sales rise and making it the last to scale back production if sales fall." But GM has invested $800 million into the plant for retooling to build the new Equinox. The automaker believes this should be enough commitment and putting it into writing isn't necessary. According to the source, there is no such language in any of the other union contracts.
      The strike has gotten so bad that the Government of Ontario has stepped in, urging both groups to resolve this rift.
      “I feel like we’re engaged in a poker game, but the interests of Ontario are sitting on the table right now,” said Brad Duguid, Ontario's Economic Development Minister.
      “It’s an uncomfortable place to be, obviously, and we’d really like to urge the parties to find a resolution to this as quickly as possible before permanent damage is done.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)