Alfa Romeo's Future Product Plan is Up in the Air :Comments

William Maley

Trying to figure out what is coming down the pipeline at Alfa Romeo is an exercise in frustration. It seems a month doesn't go by without something changing, whether it be a new model or plans being scrapped for another. Automotive News has done their best to figure out what's in and out for Alfa Romeo.

Let's begin with what has been scrapped. First is the flagship sedan to take on the likes of the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. This sedan would have used an extended version of the Giulia's RWD platform known as Giorgio. Second is a larger roadster that would have shared the platform and powertrains of the Giulia. The roadster being shelved is due to global sales of roadsters declining. 

So what's left in the pipeline? There is large crossover that will share the underpinnings with the upcoming Stelvio. This model is being primarily aimed for the Chinese and U.S. markets. The other is a Giulia coupe that will take on the BMW 4-Series. Expect a similar engine lineup to the sedan. No date was given for either model.

One model still up in the air is the possible replacement for the Giulietta compact. Alfa Romeo is running the numbers to see whether it makes sense to go with rear-wheel drive with a shortened Giorgio platform or stick with front-wheel drive.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

On 9/14/2016 at 10:13 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

So basically, they're going to be the luxury Jeep division?

Agreed.  FCA seems to want to walk away from passenger cars altogether in the North American market unless it is a challenger or a charger.

42 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well you could buy a Fiat 500.  :roflmao:

A 500 Abarth might be fun, although it would have the added benefit that no one would ever borrow it.

why can't Fiat and Alfa go away.

On 9/14/2016 at 9:11 PM, smk4565 said:

They need to give it up, these guys aren't going to take on BMW and Mercedes.  Maybe they could put Alfa in the VW, Buick price point and try to sell $25-45k sedans and crossovers and have the 4C as their exotic car.

I went to go look at a used vehicle for my mom at a Fiat dealer.  The 4c has major sex appeal, and the Guilia has the probability of a cult following, but 500 sales are in the tank, no one wants them here, and the 500x isn't even selling, 500L looks like it was designed by people with issues.

Alfa has no vehicle that has potential to break a niche of any volume to even sell enough to be in that market position you describe above.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, regfootball said:

why can't Fiat and Alfa go away.

I went to go look at a used vehicle for my mom at a Fiat dealer.  The 4c has major sex appeal, and the Guilia has the probability of a cult following, but 500 sales are in the tank, no one wants them here, and the 500x isn't even selling, 500L looks like it was designed by people with issues.

Alfa has no vehicle that has potential to break a niche of any volume to even sell enough to be in that market position you describe above.

If you are thinking of a 500l for your mother one can hope that you were adopted and for some reason don't like her very much.  The 500 Abarth might be kind of cool, and a 4C might be an interesting part ofva car collection, but the 500l is misery on wheels.

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The 500L is like the final generation Dodge Colt Vista. Ugly bubble that isn't capable of much.

The gentleman you acquired this site from is picking them up dirt cheap from time to time at auction with very low miles.  I don't know of anyone who has obtained one that has not sold it back via lemon law or traded it within a few months.  I have to be careful about being too negative about FCA products, as I previously upset another member here and I do not wish to bring negativity to the board.

At the same time...what on earth were they thinking?

• Agree 1

Alpha being reborn to save the Italian union is a theft of dollars that were generated by the US divisions and should have been reinvested in those companies not to bring back a money bleeding label that most people care less about.

Fiat is a joke, poor quality shit that just should be killed off and closed. Making poor quality auto's just to keep folks employed is stupid. FCA needs to Drop the Fiat / Alpha and focus on building great autos out of the Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep line and take them global.

34 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Alpha being reborn to save the Italian union is a theft of dollars that were generated by the US divisions and should have been reinvested in those companies not to bring back a money bleeding label that most people care less about.

Fiat is a joke, poor quality shit that just should be killed off and closed. Making poor quality auto's just to keep folks employed is stupid. FCA needs to Drop the Fiat / Alpha and focus on building great autos out of the Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep line and take them global.

FCA is sort of like VW, whom I love...some great ideas, but they are incapable of acting rationally or having a rational marketing strategy for a full line of products in the North American market.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Spelling

On 9/21/2016 at 7:49 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

If you are thinking of a 500l for your mother one can hope that you were adopted and for some reason don't like her very much.  The 500 Abarth might be kind of cool, and a 4C might be an interesting part ofva car collection, but the 500l is misery on wheels.

HAHA!  No, the Fiat dealer had a CHERRY used SRX Cadillac that they got on a trade in.  If my mom didn't have some other things going on that were taking all her attention I'd be forcing her into that very nice 13 SRX (FWD only is why they prob still have it, edit, yes they still do)

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1