Ultimate Dream Car Garage: Road Trip Edition

ykX

Frisky's posts gave me an idea to do one related to something I want to do one day: cross country trip.

So the rules are as follows:

1. You have to choose TWO cars: one NEW and one USED.

2. Cars have to be STOCK.

3. Budget for EACH of the cars is:

• New car: $40k.
  • Used car: $20k.

4. Cars have to be comfortable and reliable enough to cross the United States from coast to coast at least twice (East to West and West to East).

Have fun.

Edited by ykX

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Just to clarify.. When you say comfortable and reliable you're saying no ACR..or any Fiats.. ;). But really, I assume no near track-only kind of cars?

Well,  if you think you can drive comfortably for 8 hours in Dodge Viper for example, then please by all means ... :) 

For me personally, I would choose a John cooper Works MINI Cooper S for the new car.

Used, BRZ Subaru.

Not really interested in creature comforts, not going to do a cross country drive on inter-state highways, I want something for the rural roads I will drive.

12 minutes ago, ykX said:

Well,  if you think you can drive comfortably for 8 hours in Dodge Viper for example, then please by all means ... :) 

Who said you would spend 8 hours a day driving...I am going to enjoy the trip...and take two weeks of vacation to do it.

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Just to clarify.. When you say comfortable and reliable you're saying no ACR..or any Fiats.. ;). But really, I assume no near track-only kind of cars?

I would gladly take a few suspension mods on either choice and compete in a couple of Autocross events as I went across country...the car seat might not have extra padding, but my 51 year old backside surely does!

@A Horse With No Name at least two weeks - that is what I would take, but that's is more then 400 miles per day, and taking back roads -  that will be close to 7-8 hours of driving per day.

@cp-the-nerd At $40k/$20k I tried to keep it in the affordable range for the average person.  The goal is not just the car but the whole experience.

00404_k4C0V3H3O2c_1200x900.jpg

I might want an odd ball vintage station wagon, given the choice...

16 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

The new car budget is just $40k? Kinda conflicts with the idea of a "dream" garage!

I guess my new car would either be a Buick Regal GS or the new Buick Lacrosse V6.
2014-buick-regal-gs-2-1.jpg

2017-buick-lacrosse-side-4-970x647-c.jpg

My used car would be a CTS Sport Wagon. Truecar has tons of sub-$20k postings.
cadillac-cts-wagon_331_12.jpg

That Buick would be an excellent choice....

27 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Who said you would spend 8 hours a day driving...I am going to enjoy the trip...and take two weeks of vacation to do it.

I think you could still dive almost 8 hours a day hitting awesome places and roads and still take 2 weeks to do it all.

But I know what you're saying! ;) 

New:  75th GC w/ adventure package 1, sunroof, convenience package,a and remote cd  with applied 1500 discount currently available in my area comes to exactly 40,000 with destination.  if we can't use discounts just take the sunroof and convenience package off because I can easily live without both packages.

DriversNotebook_Pic5.jpg

Used:  2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

511358.1-lg.jpg

If i am going cross country I definitely want to see some of the harder to get to sites. 

14 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

New

2016 Mustang GT Premuim w/Performance Package

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/trim/gtpremiumfastback/

Used

Lincoln Mark VIII

Hell yes to both, especially the Gorgeous Mustang!

53 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

New - As much Lacrosse as I can get for $40k

Used - This 2006 VW Phaeton with 47k miles for $19,995

When that breaks down in Wyoming.....I hope your AAA is paid up!

• Agree 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

You're thinking the W12.  the V8s are pretty solid. 

Interesting, i did not know they built those with a V8.  Learn something new every day!

New- Golf R

2017 Golf R

Pretty sure I can manage a $195 discount. If not, I'll take a left over '16 that is under on MSRP.

Used- E46 M3

E46 M3 on Cars.com

$19,500, and a 6MT at that.

As much as I love the outdoors and nature, I don't think I could compromise my enjoyment levels on twisty roads for the sake of being able to venture off-road. I may have been tempted by a GT Premium w/ Track Pack, but the way I'd want, it comes up over the limit. I may do another with trucks or SUV's.

Edited by Frisky Dingo
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

New- Golf R

2017 Golf R

Pretty sure I can manage a $195 discount. If not, I'll take a left over '16 that is under on MSRP.

Used- E46 M3

E46 M3 on Cars.com

As much as I love the outdoors and nature, I don't think I could compromise my enjoyment levels on twisty roads for the sake of being able to venture off-road. I may have been tempted by a GT Premium w/ Track Pack, but the way I'd want, it comes up over the limit. I may do another with trucks or SUV's.

Certainly isn't for everyone to do some off-roading haha.  I may do one wih strictly pavement pounders hmmmmm.  

My on road list.

New:  Challenger Scat Pack with the only option being the 8 speed auto.  40,490, but there should be no issue getting at least 500 off the sticker.  I figure she is big enough to give pleny of room to lounge in with a comfy ride, and still with good enough handling to be entertaining on the twisties

2016-challenger-exterior-scatpack-granit

Used:  This 2012 Mustang complete with the brembo brake package.  http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2017&zip=41501&maxPrice=20000&showcaseListingId=426981070&trim1=MUST|GT&mmt=[FORD[MUST[MUST%7CGT^MUST%7CGT%2BPremium]][]]&trim2=MUST|GT+Premium&modelCode1=MUST&makeCode2=FORD&modelCode2=MUST&showcaseOwnerId=67968&startYear=2011&makeCode1=FORD&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=300&listingId=435899778&Log=0

462134c54029439ea1f0d5159a6b915b.jpg

50 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

New- Golf R

2017 Golf R

Used- E46 M3

E46 M3 on Cars.com

Nice choices both of them!

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I might actually change my New selection from Lacrosse to a 300C V8 if I can find one nicely equipped for under $40k. 

Not much of a Chryco guy, but I have kind of fallen in love with the 300. You have my full approval for this....

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Nice choices both of them!

Not much of a Chryco guy, but I have kind of fallen in love with the 300. You have my full approval for this....

There is just something about a big, V8, American luxury car... and this is as close as you get to that now. 

• Agree 1

@A Horse With No Name Thanks!

My list if I were intending to get off the blacktop and take in the wilderness-

New- Grand Cherokee 75th Ann Edition- 

Grand Cherokee Build

Comes in almost $500 under the limit w/out even needing discount. Nice road manners coupled with solid off-road chops? No-brainer.

Used- Toyota Land Cruiser-

Land Cruiser on Autotrader

Turns out 20K will buy a nice 100 Series w/ low-100K miles these days. A ride that many a new luxury sedan would be jealous of, and legendary off pavement capability. 

• Agree 1

I think my mile eater might be an ATS but I'm not sure how I would package it. I could either get it base and add the "black performance package" or start up a package and get more interior things like heated seats, power seats..ect. ect.. Either way it will be the 2.0T which is what I would want anyway.  Now 100% because a Golf R sounds enticing as well.

2017 ATS. I know the picture is of a V Series but that's the color I'd want.

BCA716BE-29F4-4FB5-9C81-FE9EA3BEFB7B_zps

The toy car to sh!t and get would definitely be a C5Z. I don't think you can get any more performance for that much money.

307E567E-91AC-4C0B-915F-A08BE895DA74_zps

6F950A37-5B93-493E-9708-082F6E805E9A_zps

See when I saw 2 cars for cross country I thought A: one to trailer a cool car and the cool car or B: two cars(one magically flying with you as you drive along) and I'd drive the ATS in most places and when I hit up some canyons or mountainous area I'd jump in the Z for some more spirited driving. Most likely the Z would only see a few hundred miles maaayyyybe as much as 1000 out of a 5000 mile adventure. I'm not thinking of just driving from east to west coast on the interstates. Kind of like the above post of a few weeks off to go see a bunch of things and places along the way and I'd like to stop at a track day at a few tracks too if this is an ideal cross country trip. And there the Z comes into play! 

Edited by ccap41

Okay, Im doing 2 scenarios for this. You know, for entertainment purposes.

In both scenarios, the used car will be the same. Because I own one....its comfy, fast, agile and it works well for both scenarios. Its big for a family and it hauls ass if I it needs to be and its luxurious enough to spend 2-3 weeks on the road and its reliable.  Ive used this google thingy to find how much a used 2012-2014 Acura TL SH-AWD might go for in the USA and I found out that its a match...so....

2012-2014 Acura TL SH-AWD

IMG_0401.jpg

Now...this is where the fun begins:

If Im doing the family thing going cross country to Walley World and back...

then a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica is my choice. Not quite the Family Truckster Antartic Blue Super Sports Wagon versus the Metallic Pea station wagon...but a minivan is probably the best bet for stuff like this when real fullsized BOF American land yachts arent available.

pacifica.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=800&

But....

If Im doing a Gumball Rally/Cannonball Run/Bull Run thing...

Then Im choosing a black Charger Scatpack

maxresdefault.jpg

in a cop car disguise

New-Dodge-Charger-2016-Srt.jpg

much like the cop car in the movie The Gumball Rally

i013369.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

See when I saw 2 cars for cross country I thought A: one to trailer a cool car and the cool car or B: two cars(one magically flying with you as you drive along) and I'd drive the ATS in most places and when I hit up some canyons or mountainous area I'd jump in the Z for some more spirited driving. Most likely the Z would only see a few hundred miles maaayyyybe as much as 1000 out of a 5000 mile adventure. I'm not thinking of just driving from east to west coast on the interstates. Kind of like the above post of a few weeks off to go see a bunch of things and places along the way and I'd like to stop at a track day at a few tracks too if this is an ideal cross country trip. And there the Z comes into play! 

Well, I mean if we're doing that, I'll take a Malibu 2.0T for the highway, and a new BRZ w/ Perf Pkg for the twisties, but that wasn't the premise of the thread.

@oldshurst442 A minivan?!?!? That's blasphemy on an auto forum!!

"Shame.

Shame.

Shame. "

(hopefully somebody gets the reference)

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Well, I mean if we're doing that, I'll take a Malibu 2.0T for the highway, and a new BRZ w/ Perf Pkg for the twisties, but that wasn't the premise of the thread.

It just said a cross country road trip, I thought..? It can't be a fun trip? lol

Edited by ccap41

Sorry @ccap41
But if Clark Griswold ends up with a minivan in the end

,and he is the ULTIMATE family guy...and he could get Christie Brinkley naked with that god awful Metallic Pea Family truckster

Then I could DEFINITELY drive across the USA in a Chrsyler minivan holding  my head up high! :D

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There is just something about a big, V8, American luxury car... and this is as close as you get to that now. 

The last of the breed, and when it is gone....

50 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I suppose you could keep it all Chryco, get the 300 Drew was talking about as a tow vehicle, get a decent used SRT 4 Neon for the Twisties, and put the Neon on a trailer behind the 300.

And a minivan makes an infinite amount of sense.  Which is why a complete idiot like me would do it in a vintage Thunderbird two seater or a vintage land Rover or something equally practical.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'll make fun of mini vans as much as thas next car guy but they really are one of the most practical vehicles out there if you have more than 2-3 passengers and luggage. 

Just givin @oldshurst442 a hard time! 

I not about to give up my man card that easily...

I saw this  meme on the internets.

man_c2b87c_1020839.jpg

Ok Ok....I promise to man the phoque up!

Cdc0aegUUAAXgg_.jpg

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I not about to give up my man card that easily...

I saw this  meme on the internets.

man_c2b87c_1020839.jpg

Ok Ok....I promise to man the phoque up!

Cdc0aegUUAAXgg_.jpg

Hey, if you're going to drive a van. That one looks slick as s h i t. 

Edited by ccap41

Ok, if I doing the trip  alone:

My new choice is

Mustang GT Premium, even though my preferred color is grabber blue, would take grey for the trip not to attract every cop along the way

2015_mustang_09.jpg

My used choice:

2013 Mustang GT premium

156781d1338490111-my-new-sterling-grey-2

If I am going with my family:

New:

Outback 3.6R

2015_subaru_outback_f34_ft_1112141_717.j

Used:

2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Toyota-4Runner-Limited-2012-19.jpg

40 minutes ago, ykX said:

Ok, if I doing the trip  alone:

My new choice is

Mustang GT Premium, even though my preferred color is grabber blue, would take grey for the trip not to attract every cop along the way

2015_mustang_09.jpg

My used choice:

2013 Mustang GT premium

156781d1338490111-my-new-sterling-grey-2

If I am going with my family:

New:

Outback 3.6R

2015_subaru_outback_f34_ft_1112141_717.j

Used:

2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Toyota-4Runner-Limited-2012-19.jpg

Outback is a fantastic choice. Love the Mustangs in the grey also.

Just now, ykX said:

@A Horse With No Name my friend got loaded 2016 Outback 3.6 and  I was impressed with the car.  The CVT kills all the fun in the acceleration department but otherwise it is great.

My next door neighbors got one after Chrysler sold them a Lemon Dodge journey. They have three small children and it has worked out very, very well for them.

Dislike the CVT, but like how solid Subaru's feel with things like power window switches and door latches.

But the only Subaru's I think I could actually put real coin on are the BRZ and WRX.

7 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

A 20K 2012 4Runner is gonna have like 200,000 miles, lol!!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/682978465/overview/

2012 4Runner Limited 37k miles

But I think you are right, it must be a mistake considering nothing else is even close to that, but 2011 with around 100k miles is perfectly double

40 minutes ago, ykX said:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/682978465/overview/

2012 4Runner Limited 37k miles

But I think you are right, it must be a mistake considering nothing else is even close to that, but 2011 with around 100k miles is perfectly double

They hold their value forever...and have you seen what used Tacomas go for...a kings ransom!

23 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They hold their value forever...and have you seen what used Tacomas go for...a kings ransom!

YUP! My dad bought a '13 Tacoma and before he bought it he was looking at used ones because he intended(and does) use it as an actual truck so it would get tore up some. The used prices were waaaaay too close to justify the little savings with 50-70k miles already on them. Insane.

• Agree 1