Ford Throws Its Hat Into Subcompact Crossover Ring With 2018 EcoSport: Comments

The subcompact crossover is growing at quick pace with a number of automakers either selling or planning to introduce a model. Case is point is Ford which last night in Los Angeles debuted a revised version of the EcoSport subcompact crossover.

Built on the bones of the Fiesta, the revised EcoSport looks like an Escape hit with shink-ray. Compared to the current model sold overseas, Ford has changed the front and rear fascias, and updated the head and taillights. We don't get the external rear-mounted spare tire like in other markets, but the the side-hinged rear tailgate remains.

The interior will come with an 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system powered by Ford’s Sync 3 software. This means it will feature Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatability. The EcoSport is also gadget friendly with two USB ports and a 12-volt power outlet up front, an optional 110-volt outlet, and another 12-volt outlet for rear passengers. Ford has also somehow managed to cram 30  storage pockets, bins, and hooks of different sizes in the EcoSport's interior.

Front-wheel drive models will feature the 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder and all-wheel drive models get a 2.0L four-cylinder. No power figures are available for either engine. Both will get a six-speed automatic as standard.

You'll have to wait till early 2018 if you want to get your hands on the EcoSport.

Source: Ford
Press Release is on Page 2

GO SMALL, LIVE BIG WITH ALL-NEW ECOSPORT - FORD'S SMALLEST SUV WITH THE BIGGEST PERSONALITY

• Ford introduces all-new EcoSport for North America today during the world’s first-ever Snapchat vehicle reveal; event kicks off a three-day interactive experience in Hollywood open to the public through Wednesday
  • Fun, capable and connected, EcoSport gives drivers the freedom and versatility to go small and live big
  • Technology – including SYNC 3 with a high-resolution 8-inch floating touch screen, Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ – easily integrates your smartphone and keeps you connected to friends and family while on the move

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 14, 2016 – Ford today introduces the all-new EcoSport for North America for those who want space-saving convenience and SUV capability.

The EcoSport – a fun, capable, connected compact SUV – stars in the world’s first-ever vehicle reveal on Snapchat, kicking off a Hollywood pop-up event open to the public through Wednesday evening.

The interactive event showcases how EcoSport is a perfect companion for those who believe in going small and living big.

“More people are choosing to spend their time and money sharing experiences with friends and family instead of buying more stuff,” said Chantel Lenard, ‎executive director, Ford U.S. marketing. “EcoSport fits perfectly into this growing lifestyle. It’s our smallest SUV, packed with features and personality.”

Fun sound, color and style
EcoSport’s available premium B&O PLAY audio system brings your music to life. HARMAN acoustic engineers spent hundreds of hours perfecting the in-vehicle music experience.  

The Ford-exclusive B&O PLAY audio system, standard on EcoSport Titanium, features 10 speakers, including B&O PLAY-branded tweeters and woofers in the front doors and a subwoofer in back. The 675-watt system unlocks the power of your favorite music and transforms every drive into a “living big” experience.

EcoSport also features available HD Radio technology, SiriusXM® satellite radio and a dual FM radio antenna that boosts the range and clarity of FM signals.

Customers looking to stand apart from the crowd will find plenty of ways to personalize their EcoSport. Along with 10 exterior color choices, there are seven ambient lighting options and four trim level offerings – S, SE, SES and Titanium. All series feature a swing-gate-style tailgate.

The personality-packed SES series makes the biggest splash. It features Intelligent 4WD, sport-tuned suspension and steering, and unique styling cues inside and out – including bold copper accents for the interior and sport seats.

Connected technology
EcoSport makes it easy to stay in touch with friends and family with SYNC® 3, Ford’s communications and entertainment system. Faster, more intuitive and easier to use, the system provides more conversational voice recognition and enhanced response to driver commands. Optimized for hands-free use, SYNC 3 for EcoSport is coupled with a touch screen similar to a smartphone or tablet. The 8-inch screen gives front-row occupants easy access to operate available Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ commands, and B&O PLAY audio settings.

Drivers also have the ability to start, lock, unlock and locate their vehicle from almost anywhere using available SYNC Connect with FordPass®. The mobile app lets owners view vehicle information, such as the fuel level and odometer reading, when not in the vehicle.

EcoSport features two fast-charging USB ports to ensure owners’ devices are always juiced. Plus, there’s a 12-volt power outlet. An available 110-volt outlet positioned behind the center console and another 12-volt outlet allow rear-seat passengers to stay plugged in, too.

Capable, powerful and sporty
Equipped with either the award-winning, 1.0-liter three-cylinder turbocharged EcoBoost® or 2.0-liter four-cylinder, EcoSport provides power and control. Drivers opting for the 2.0-liter engine get Ford’s Intelligent 4WD standard. Both come with six-speed automatic transmissions.

As many as 30 stowage pockets, bins, hooks make efficient use of every interior inch. A cargo management system at the rear features a movable floor board and fold-away second-row seats to provide a flat area for moving furniture and other larger items.

The all-new Ford EcoSport starts arriving in dealerships in early 2018.

View full article

You know what would sell me? This right here...

You have no idea how much superior a side opening tailgate is compared to a lift back until you own both.  The side opening hatch on my old CR-V is sooooo much better than the Encore liftback for loading and unloading stuff. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You have no idea how much superior a side opening tailgate is compared to a lift back until you own both.  The side opening hatch on my old CR-V is sooooo much better than the Encore liftback for loading and unloading stuff. 

Really? Why is it that much better?

I noticed it and thought it was a really neat/different feature but I didn't really know why they would do that? Or what the benefit of a swinging hatch or a liftgate.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Really? Why is it that much better?

I noticed it and thought it was a really neat/different feature but I didn't really know why they would do that? Or what the benefit of a swinging hatch or a liftgate.

Honestly, I have a hard time quantifying it.  Keep in mind use my Honda for doing maintence work at my apartment buildings, so I'm always hauling tool boxes, supplies, etc. in it. It's just easier to do in the Honda than any of the liftbacks.  It's not something I can really explain... it's just something I live with. 

19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Honestly, I have a hard time quantifying it.  Keep in mind use my Honda for doing maintence work at my apartment buildings, so I'm always hauling tool boxes, supplies, etc. in it. It's just easier to do in the Honda than any of the liftbacks.  It's not something I can really explain... it's just something I live with. 

I could see the ups and downs to it. The thing that I wouldn't like is just parking in general in a parking lot. I feel like there isn't enough room for somebody to park behind you and open your tailgate.

I think it really depends on the owners' needs and what they use it for.

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I could see the ups and downs to it. The thing that I wouldn't like is just parking in general in a parking lot. I feel like there isn't enough room for somebody to park behind you and open your tailgate.

Yeah, if you know you're going to be loading stuff up at Home Depot, you need to remember to park ass out... but it is a small price to pay for the overall convenience. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is why I liked the tail gates on 1960's and 1970's station wagons.

They would often open either way....made for good tailgating before a football game!

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

But the Lift Back keeps you protected from the Rain and Snow according to GM! :P

The best tailgate that I believe GM and FORD used was the split stagecoach door minis with a lift gate glass section.

SafariRearEnd.jpg

ExcursionRearEnd.JPG

This is what I think is the best access for all CUVs & SUVs.

I wish my Suburban and Escalade had this kind of rear end opening.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

One of my Explorers had a lift open window in addition to the hatch.  Very, very useful.  Wish they would bring it back.  It was great, if someone parked so close that they touched your bumper, you could still put your groceries in the back. And best part is, they don't roll out when you open the whole hatch.  And then there is the functional use, where lumber or such could hang out with the hatch closed.  Very cool.

If the EcoSport had an opening glass, that would be very useful.  Does it?  Can anyone confirm it does not, on the Eu model?

More awkwardly proportioned than the GM mini utes.  Love the blackout package though... and that back door is fantastic.  Easier to open and close than a hatch... can be safely opened in a garage without hitting the garage door opener track, etc etc...

Seems like my predictions for this were true... the removal of the spare tire (if it has one) from the back door... and a naturally aspirated engine.  woot

3 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

One of my Explorers had a lift open window in addition to the hatch.  Very, very useful.  Wish they would bring it back.

I wish my Escape had that! The last gen Escapes had that and I think it is a great idea.

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

More awkwardly proportioned than the GM mini utes.  Love the blackout package though... and that back door is fantastic.  Easier to open and close than a hatch... can be safely opened in a garage without hitting the garage door opener track, etc etc...

Seems like my predictions for this were true... the removal of the spare tire (if it has one) from the back door... and a naturally aspirated engine.  woot

But can it be opened with the garage door closed? 

So many advantages and disadvantages of the swinging door. I'm kind of up in the air about it as of now. 

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I wish my Escape had that! The last gen Escapes had that and I think it is a great idea.

But can it be opened with the garage door closed? 

So many advantages and disadvantages of the swinging door. I'm kind of up in the air about it as of now. 

Vehicle itself is only 4 feet long, so yes, it should open in a closed garage.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Vehicle itself is only 4 feet long, so yes, it should open in a closed garage.

Visually it does have the proportions of a Smart car or Fiat 500....I find myself alternately loving and hating these small eggs on wheels.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I guess for some reason I was thinking Escape and not the EcoSport. Or just anything larger would have troubles opening in a closed garage.

As a guy who lives in a city and often has to parallel park or park in tight situations, i am actually liking the number of shorter vehicles that car makers are bringing out.

My thoughts on it...

Baby Escape (not a bad thing since I like the new Escape quite a bit)

Coming built from India (why Ford, with these tarted up should pull a nice profit here in the US) Though my gut tells me Ford is either treating this like an A) Fad or B) Risk because they are not sure how will do here.

With the way it looks, people are going to be able to do things with this thing..and having friends overseas who are laughing that folks will try to put this trucklet to use here...It is TINY. Great for grandma or a trip to the mall, useless for anything else....

On 11/15/2016 at 3:46 PM, dfelt said:

But the Lift Back keeps you protected from the Rain and Snow according to GM! :P

The best tailgate that I believe GM and FORD used was the split stagecoach door minis with a lift gate glass section.

SafariRearEnd.jpg

ExcursionRearEnd.JPG

This is what I think is the best access for all CUVs & SUVs.

I wish my Suburban and Escalade had this kind of rear end opening.

The Ford Flex had the same setup in certain trims. That was my favorite feature of it.