William Maley

Ford Throws Its Hat Into Subcompact Crossover Ring With 2018 EcoSport: Comments

23 posts in this topic

William Maley    393

The subcompact crossover is growing at quick pace with a number of automakers either selling or planning to introduce a model. Case is point is Ford which last night in Los Angeles debuted a revised version of the EcoSport subcompact crossover.

Built on the bones of the Fiesta, the revised EcoSport looks like an Escape hit with shink-ray. Compared to the current model sold overseas, Ford has changed the front and rear fascias, and updated the head and taillights. We don't get the external rear-mounted spare tire like in other markets, but the the side-hinged rear tailgate remains.

The interior will come with an 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system powered by Ford’s Sync 3 software. This means it will feature Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatability. The EcoSport is also gadget friendly with two USB ports and a 12-volt power outlet up front, an optional 110-volt outlet, and another 12-volt outlet for rear passengers. Ford has also somehow managed to cram 30  storage pockets, bins, and hooks of different sizes in the EcoSport's interior.

Front-wheel drive models will feature the 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder and all-wheel drive models get a 2.0L four-cylinder. No power figures are available for either engine. Both will get a six-speed automatic as standard.

You'll have to wait till early 2018 if you want to get your hands on the EcoSport.

Source: Ford
Press Release is on Page 2

GO SMALL, LIVE BIG WITH ALL-NEW ECOSPORT - FORD'S SMALLEST SUV WITH THE BIGGEST PERSONALITY

• Ford introduces all-new EcoSport for North America today during the world’s first-ever Snapchat vehicle reveal; event kicks off a three-day interactive experience in Hollywood open to the public through Wednesday
  • Fun, capable and connected, EcoSport gives drivers the freedom and versatility to go small and live big
  • Technology – including SYNC 3 with a high-resolution 8-inch floating touch screen, Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ – easily integrates your smartphone and keeps you connected to friends and family while on the move

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 14, 2016 – Ford today introduces the all-new EcoSport for North America for those who want space-saving convenience and SUV capability.

The EcoSport – a fun, capable, connected compact SUV – stars in the world’s first-ever vehicle reveal on Snapchat, kicking off a Hollywood pop-up event open to the public through Wednesday evening.

The interactive event showcases how EcoSport is a perfect companion for those who believe in going small and living big.

“More people are choosing to spend their time and money sharing experiences with friends and family instead of buying more stuff,” said Chantel Lenard, ‎executive director, Ford U.S. marketing. “EcoSport fits perfectly into this growing lifestyle. It’s our smallest SUV, packed with features and personality.”

Fun sound, color and style
EcoSport’s available premium B&O PLAY audio system brings your music to life. HARMAN acoustic engineers spent hundreds of hours perfecting the in-vehicle music experience.  

The Ford-exclusive B&O PLAY audio system, standard on EcoSport Titanium, features 10 speakers, including B&O PLAY-branded tweeters and woofers in the front doors and a subwoofer in back. The 675-watt system unlocks the power of your favorite music and transforms every drive into a “living big” experience.

EcoSport also features available HD Radio technology, SiriusXM® satellite radio and a dual FM radio antenna that boosts the range and clarity of FM signals.

Customers looking to stand apart from the crowd will find plenty of ways to personalize their EcoSport. Along with 10 exterior color choices, there are seven ambient lighting options and four trim level offerings – S, SE, SES and Titanium. All series feature a swing-gate-style tailgate.

The personality-packed SES series makes the biggest splash. It features Intelligent 4WD, sport-tuned suspension and steering, and unique styling cues inside and out – including bold copper accents for the interior and sport seats.

Connected technology
EcoSport makes it easy to stay in touch with friends and family with SYNC® 3, Ford’s communications and entertainment system. Faster, more intuitive and easier to use, the system provides more conversational voice recognition and enhanced response to driver commands. Optimized for hands-free use, SYNC 3 for EcoSport is coupled with a touch screen similar to a smartphone or tablet. The 8-inch screen gives front-row occupants easy access to operate available Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ commands, and B&O PLAY audio settings.

Drivers also have the ability to start, lock, unlock and locate their vehicle from almost anywhere using available SYNC Connect with FordPass®. The mobile app lets owners view vehicle information, such as the fuel level and odometer reading, when not in the vehicle.

EcoSport features two fast-charging USB ports to ensure owners’ devices are always juiced. Plus, there’s a 12-volt power outlet. An available 110-volt outlet positioned behind the center console and another 12-volt outlet allow rear-seat passengers to stay plugged in, too.

Capable, powerful and sporty
Equipped with either the award-winning, 1.0-liter three-cylinder turbocharged EcoBoost® or 2.0-liter four-cylinder, EcoSport provides power and control. Drivers opting for the 2.0-liter engine get Ford’s Intelligent 4WD standard. Both come with six-speed automatic transmissions.

As many as 30 stowage pockets, bins, hooks make efficient use of every interior inch. A cargo management system at the rear features a movable floor board and fold-away second-row seats to provide a flat area for moving furniture and other larger items.

The all-new Ford EcoSport starts arriving in dealerships in early 2018.

View full article

ccap41    1,161

Not bad but not great looking. I think the CX-3 looks best in the segment still.

I hope the 1.0T has enough ass to lug around a less aerodynamic CUV as opposed to a car. I would bet the 2.0 will be the volume engine as it just sounds better suited.

Drew Dowdell    4,993

You know what would sell me? This right here...

You have no idea how much superior a side opening tailgate is compared to a lift back until you own both.  The side opening hatch on my old CR-V is sooooo much better than the Encore liftback for loading and unloading stuff. 

• Upvote 1

ccap41    1,161
5 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You have no idea how much superior a side opening tailgate is compared to a lift back until you own both.  The side opening hatch on my old CR-V is sooooo much better than the Encore liftback for loading and unloading stuff. 

Really? Why is it that much better?

I noticed it and thought it was a really neat/different feature but I didn't really know why they would do that? Or what the benefit of a swinging hatch or a liftgate.

Drew Dowdell    4,993
2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Really? Why is it that much better?

I noticed it and thought it was a really neat/different feature but I didn't really know why they would do that? Or what the benefit of a swinging hatch or a liftgate.

Honestly, I have a hard time quantifying it.  Keep in mind use my Honda for doing maintence work at my apartment buildings, so I'm always hauling tool boxes, supplies, etc. in it. It's just easier to do in the Honda than any of the liftbacks.  It's not something I can really explain... it's just something I live with. 

Frisky Dingo    611

The swing gate is a big drawback for people who live in the city and have to often parallel park.

My Rav has a swinging hatch, and I like it. It's something that would make or break a vehicle purchase for me, though.

ccap41    1,161
19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Honestly, I have a hard time quantifying it.  Keep in mind use my Honda for doing maintence work at my apartment buildings, so I'm always hauling tool boxes, supplies, etc. in it. It's just easier to do in the Honda than any of the liftbacks.  It's not something I can really explain... it's just something I live with. 

I could see the ups and downs to it. The thing that I wouldn't like is just parking in general in a parking lot. I feel like there isn't enough room for somebody to park behind you and open your tailgate.

I think it really depends on the owners' needs and what they use it for.

Drew Dowdell    4,993
3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I could see the ups and downs to it. The thing that I wouldn't like is just parking in general in a parking lot. I feel like there isn't enough room for somebody to park behind you and open your tailgate.

Yeah, if you know you're going to be loading stuff up at Home Depot, you need to remember to park ass out... but it is a small price to pay for the overall convenience. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is why I liked the tail gates on 1960's and 1970's station wagons.

They would often open either way....made for good tailgating before a football game!

dfelt    1,774
5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

But the Lift Back keeps you protected from the Rain and Snow according to GM! :P

The best tailgate that I believe GM and FORD used was the split stagecoach door minis with a lift gate glass section.

SafariRearEnd.jpg

ExcursionRearEnd.JPG

This is what I think is the best access for all CUVs & SUVs.

I wish my Suburban and Escalade had this kind of rear end opening.

Wings4Life(BANNED)    1,000,000

One of my Explorers had a lift open window in addition to the hatch.  Very, very useful.  Wish they would bring it back.  It was great, if someone parked so close that they touched your bumper, you could still put your groceries in the back. And best part is, they don't roll out when you open the whole hatch.  And then there is the functional use, where lumber or such could hang out with the hatch closed.  Very cool.

If the EcoSport had an opening glass, that would be very useful.  Does it?  Can anyone confirm it does not, on the Eu model?

ocnblu    733

More awkwardly proportioned than the GM mini utes.  Love the blackout package though... and that back door is fantastic.  Easier to open and close than a hatch... can be safely opened in a garage without hitting the garage door opener track, etc etc...

Seems like my predictions for this were true... the removal of the spare tire (if it has one) from the back door... and a naturally aspirated engine.  woot

ccap41    1,161
3 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

One of my Explorers had a lift open window in addition to the hatch.  Very, very useful.  Wish they would bring it back.

I wish my Escape had that! The last gen Escapes had that and I think it is a great idea.

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

More awkwardly proportioned than the GM mini utes.  Love the blackout package though... and that back door is fantastic.  Easier to open and close than a hatch... can be safely opened in a garage without hitting the garage door opener track, etc etc...

Seems like my predictions for this were true... the removal of the spare tire (if it has one) from the back door... and a naturally aspirated engine.  woot

But can it be opened with the garage door closed? 

So many advantages and disadvantages of the swinging door. I'm kind of up in the air about it as of now. 

ocnblu    733
6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I wish my Escape had that! The last gen Escapes had that and I think it is a great idea.

But can it be opened with the garage door closed? 

So many advantages and disadvantages of the swinging door. I'm kind of up in the air about it as of now. 

Vehicle itself is only 4 feet long, so yes, it should open in a closed garage.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Visually it does have the proportions of a Smart car or Fiat 500....I find myself alternately loving and hating these small eggs on wheels.

ccap41    1,161
2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I guess for some reason I was thinking Escape and not the EcoSport. Or just anything larger would have troubles opening in a closed garage.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I guess for some reason I was thinking Escape and not the EcoSport. Or just anything larger would have troubles opening in a closed garage.

As a guy who lives in a city and often has to parallel park or park in tight situations, i am actually liking the number of shorter vehicles that car makers are bringing out.

daves87rs    329

My thoughts on it...

Baby Escape (not a bad thing since I like the new Escape quite a bit)

Coming built from India (why Ford, with these tarted up should pull a nice profit here in the US) Though my gut tells me Ford is either treating this like an A) Fad or B) Risk because they are not sure how will do here.

With the way it looks, people are going to be able to do things with this thing..and having friends overseas who are laughing that folks will try to put this trucklet to use here...It is TINY. Great for grandma or a trip to the mall, useless for anything else....

surreal1272    677
On 11/15/2016 at 3:46 PM, dfelt said:

But the Lift Back keeps you protected from the Rain and Snow according to GM! :P

The best tailgate that I believe GM and FORD used was the split stagecoach door minis with a lift gate glass section.

SafariRearEnd.jpg

ExcursionRearEnd.JPG

This is what I think is the best access for all CUVs & SUVs.

I wish my Suburban and Escalade had this kind of rear end opening.

The Ford Flex had the same setup in certain trims. That was my favorite feature of it. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Whenever there is a new 5-Series, the countdown clock is started for the arrival of high-performance M5. Today, the clock hit zero as BMW unveiled the 2018 M5.
      Under the hood lies a familiar twin-turbo 4.4L V8 with 600 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque - healthy increases of 40 and 53 respectively. A new eight-speed automatic is the sole transmission choice, sorry manual lovers. The 2018 M5 also comes with the M xDrive system which can either send power to all four wheels or just the rear wheels if you want to some smoky drifts. 60 mph comes in 3.2 seconds and can hit a top speed of 155 mph (189 mph if you opt for the M Driver's Package).
      BMW has also done a bit of work to the M5's suspension with new wheel bearings, firmer anti-roll bars, and a steel x-brace. 15.5-inch steel rotors with six-piston calipers up front and single-piston calipers in the rear help bring the M5 to a stop. A set of carbon ceramic brakes are available as an option. There has also been a bit of weight loss with aluminum being used for the hood and front fenders and carbon fiber for the roof.
      There is a special edition of the M5 called the First Edition that is limited to 400 models worldwide, with 50 of those coming to the U.S. First Edition models stand out from the standard M5 with Frozen Dark Red Metallic paint, gloss black used on the grille and tailpipes; and a set of 20-inch black wheels.
      The 2018 M5 arrives in the U.S. next spring.
      Source: BMW
      The All-New 2018 BMW M5: The Quintessential High-Performance Sedan
      The 6th generation BMW M5 is the quickest most technologically advanced M-vehicle to date: 0–60 mph in a lightning-quick 3.2 seconds; 0–124 mph in just 11.1 seconds. Top speed: 189 mph with optional M Driver’s Package. The latest generation M TwinPower Turbo technology 4.4-liter V8 engine develops 600 hp and peak torque of 553 lb-ft. Debut of the first ever BMW M xDrive system with 2WD capability. M compound brakes fitted as standard. Available M carbon ceramic brakes provide a 50 lb. unsprung weight reduction. Like all M models, the chassis was honed on the world’s most challenging race circuit, the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Reduced weight by intelligent use of materials such as a carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) roof and a weight-optimized exhaust system. Exceptional performance both in day-to-day driving and on the racetrack. BMW M5 First Edition with exclusive specification available in limited 50 unit run in the US. Woodcliff Lake, NJ – August 21, 2017… Today, BMW unveiled the all-new 2018 BMW M5, a car that since 1984 has been regarded as the quintessential high-performance sports sedan. The previous generations of the BMW M5 all possess purebred racing genes and acquitted themselves impressively on the racetrack as well as on the road. The all-new BMW M5 represents the 6th generation and, like those that have come before it, delivers on these promises – and more. The all-new 2018 M5 will also debut the M-specific all-wheel-drive system, M xDrive. This new system allows the M5 to reach new heights of dynamic performance and delivers poise in all driving situations. Frank van Meel, Chairman of the Board of Management at BMW M GmbH, explains the benefits of this pioneering drivetrain technology: “Thanks to M xDrive, the all-new BMW M5 can be piloted with the familiar blend of sportiness and unerring accuracy both on the racetrack and out on the open road, while also delighting drivers with its significantly enhanced directional stability and controllability right up to the limits of performance when driving in adverse conditions such as on wet roads or snow.” When the engine is first started, the all-new BMW M5 will be in all-wheel-drive mode (4WD) with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) turned on. The driver is then able to vary the handling characteristics of the M5 by enabling various driving dynamics modes, including a rear-wheel-drive mode with no DSC. In this 2WD mode, the all-new BMW M5 offers drivers the opportunity to experience BMW’s traditional rear-wheel drive characteristics.
      Under the hood of the all-new BMW M5 is the latest and most advanced version of the renowned 4.4-liter V8 engine featuring M TwinPower Turbo technology with an output increase from the previous generation of 40 hp and 53 lb-ft, this new engine develops 600 hp and 553 lb-ft of peak torque to promise explosive acceleration and formidable performance. The twin-turbo V8 unit propels the M5 via the new 8-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic and teams up with the M xDrive system to transfer all of the high-revving turbocharged engine’s might to the road, and allows a 0–60 mph acceleration run in a mere 3.2 seconds, making it the quickest and most agile to date.
      The all-new 2018 BMW M5 will be available at certified BMW Centers in spring 2018 with pricing to be announced closer to market launch.
      M TwinPower Turbo, M xDrive and the 8-speed M Steptronic transmission
      The all-new BMW M5 features a 4.4-liter V8 engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology. The high-revving power unit in the all-new BMW M5 has received a thorough overhaul and delivers its exceptional output of 600 hp from 5,700 to 6,600 rpm, while the tremendous peak torque of 553 lb-ft is on tap from just 1,800 rpm and remains constant all the way up to 5,700 rpm. The engine characteristics can be changed at the push of a button from the basic Efficient setting to either Sport or Sport Plus, resulting in a more crisp response to movements of the accelerator.
      The M engineers have implemented a raft of enhancements to endow the twin-turbo V8 with its phenomenal performance capabilities. These include newly developed twin-scroll turbochargers now delivering 24.46 psi of relative boost pressure as well as a higher maximum injection pressure of 350 bar (up from 200 bar). This allows shorter injection times and improved atomization of the fuel for sharper engine response as well as more efficient mixture preparation. Improvements have also been made to the lubrication and cooling systems, including an oil pan with a small front sump and new indirect charge air cooling units, which are more effective than its predecessor despite being almost 20% smaller in size. The oil supply system uses a fully variable, map-controlled pump and has been designed for weekend escapades to the racetrack, where it can handle very high levels of longitudinal and lateral acceleration.
      The cross-bank exhaust manifolds for the all-new BMW M5 have also been modified to optimize the flow of energy from the exhaust gas to the turbine wheels of the two twin-scroll turbochargers ensuring the best possible gas-exchange cycle. By fitting a Helmholtz resonator between the two silencers of the dual exhaust system, the M engineers have reduced its weight by 11 lbs. The sound from the active flap-controlled exhaust system varies depending on the selected mode for the engine characteristics, while the M Sound Control button allows further acoustic customization.
      The twin-scroll twin-turbo V8’s power is channeled to the road via the newly developed M xDrive all-wheel-drive system. The rear-biased set-up ensures that the front wheels only come into play when the rear wheels are not able to transmit any more torque to the road and additional tractive force is required. The main hardware components of M xDrive are based on the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system and the Active M Differential technology. Central M specific driving dynamics control software precisely to orchestrate the various components, providing enhanced traction, agility and directional stability at all times.
      The reinforced drivetrain allows it to cope with the higher torque, the rear-biased configuration and the 2WD mode. While the transfer case intelligently splits the drive torque between the front and rear wheels, the Active M Differential is responsible for then distributing the drive flow between the rear wheels varying the locking effect as the situation demands. With M xDrive, stabilizing interventions from the DSC system are only required in extreme situations, enabling the engine’s tremendous power to be converted into propulsive force with virtually zero losses. The M xDrive system allows drivers to command the all-new BMW M5 with even greater precision and directional accuracy to respond sensitively and directly to the driver’s inputs, which in turn enable fewer steering corrections when driving at the limit.
      Drivers can configure M xDrive at any time to suit their needs. Even in the default setting with both DSC and 4WD activated, the all-new BMW M5 allows a certain amount of slip at the rear wheels when accelerating out of corners to produce the agility for which M models are renowned while remaining perfectly controllable at all times. The all-wheel drive’s traction helps to produce acceleration times that are worthy of super-sports cars: 0–60 mph in a breathtaking 3.2 seconds and 0–124 mph in just 11.1 seconds.
      Switching to the M Dynamic mode (MDM, 4WD Sport) gives additional boost to the car’s handling agility. In this mode, more drive torque is directed to the rear axle, while the amount of permissible rear wheel slip is increased. While doing so, the onset of oversteer is noticeable in good time and the linear increase of the sideslip angle means that the vehicle remains stable.
      The three modes available with the DSC system switched off have been configured keeping track driving in mind. The 4WD mode is set up for the greatest possible controllability and traction, and already offers plenty of scope for exploring the dynamic performance capabilities of the all-new BMW M5. The 4WD Sport mode, meanwhile, with its blend of steering precision, agile handling and reassuring traction, guarantees maximum enjoyment and consistent lap times. The pure rear-wheel-drive mode (2WD) has been designed with the experienced and highly skilled driver in mind. This opens up the same thrilling experience already offered by past generations of the M5.
      The new 8-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic has been strictly geared towards high-performance duty while the wide ratio spread helps to optimize fuel efficiency. The transmission has been engineered so the torque converter lock-up clutch fully engages once the car has pulled away, proving instantaneous response. Lightning-fast gear changes with optimal gear ratio spacing ensure that even the most demanding driver will appreciate its technological prowess. The driver can choose between fully automatic shifting in D mode, or opt for sequential gearshifts via the new short gear selector on the center console or the M shift paddles on the steering wheel.
      The transmission’s shift mapping can be modified using the Drivelogic rocker switch in the gear selector. Drivelogic mode 1 corresponds to efficient driving. Mode 2 lends itself to sporty driving with its shortened shift times. Drivelogic mode 3 is optimized for high-sporty driving on the track thanks to its extremely short shift times. Those preferring to shift gears manually can also execute multiple downshifts to the lowest available gear, for instance when braking into tight corners. With manual mode engaged, there are no automatic upshifts when the engine is revved to the limit either. A transmission oil cooler ensures flawless transmission operation even when the car is put through its paces on the track.
      Newly Developed chassis technology. A new benchmark in driving dynamics
      The goal of the team responsible for tuning the all-new BMW M5 chassis was to achieve unbeatable driving dynamics with maximum directional stability. As is usual for BMW M GmbH, the tuning took place in part on the company’s own race circuit at Miramas in the south of France, as well as on the world’s toughest test track, the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
      The precise, agile handling that drivers have come to expect from previous generations of the M5 has been optimized for the all-new car. Individual driver needs are met by the wide range of options for configuring the vehicle, including M xDrive, the 8-speed M Steptronic with Drivelogic, the M-specific Variable Damper Control (incl. three driving modes: Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus) with electronically controlled shock absorbers, and M Servotronic steering (incl. three driving modes: Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus). A top priority when tuning the chassis of the all-new BMW M5 was to achieve neutral steering behavior with linear build-up of transverse loads across the full range of lateral acceleration. Whatever the driving situation, the electromechanical M Servotronic steering delivers exactly the right amount of steering torque. This ensures that the all-new BMW M5 has accurate steering and always communicates clear feedback to the driver. What’s more, because of all of these systems the car is great for long-distance driving or touring along the city thanks to the low steering force required for maneuvering and parking.
      The familiar double-wishbone suspension from the front axle of the BMW 5 Series has been reworked from the ground up for the all-new BMW M5 with M xDrive. M engineers have redesigned every component to factor in M-specific kinematic and elastokinematic characteristics. Directional stability is greater than ever thanks to the increased track width. The five-link rear suspension has also been modified to meet M-specific requirements. Optimized firmer anti-roll bars and new toe links featuring stiffer rubber mounts help accommodate the increased demands on the driving dynamics and steering precision. Specially developed for the M5, the elastomer bearings on the rear axle mounts ensure that there is no delay in transferring chassis forces, which makes for direct handling. An additional steel X-brace and an aluminum transverse strut increase the stiffness of the chassis linkages at the rear axle, resulting in improved response. Additional chassis modifications not visible externally perform functions that are no less important. For example, an aluminum tower-to-bulkhead and tower-to-frontend strut braces enhance stiffness at the front of the car.
      The complete chassis and powertrain package put together by the BMW M engineers is so detailed that even experienced racers like former Formula One star and BMW works driver Timo Glock are impressed: “Thanks to M xDrive, the new BMW M5 goes beyond the precise, agile drive that we’ve come to expect – it also serves up a noticeable boost in traction and controllability, both in everyday situations and at the dynamic limit.”
      The tires fitted as standard on the all-new BMW M5 (275/40 R 19 at the front and 285/40 R 19 at the rear) have been specially homologated for this vehicle. They are mounted on five-double-spoke cast light-alloy wheels in polished Orbit Grey (front: 9.5 J x 19, rear: 10.5 J x 19). 20-inch seven-double-spoke wheels in black or polished black are available as an option (front: 275/35 R 20, at rear: 285/35 R 20). All wheels are ZR speed rated, making them suitable for the 189 mph top speed achieved with the available M Driver’s Package (155 mph standard).
      The all-new BMW M5 comes with M compound brakes fitted as standard. Being significantly lighter than conventional cast iron units, these have the distinct benefit of reducing unsprung mass. At the front, the braking force is applied to 15.55 x 1.41 [in] perforated, inner-vented brake discs by blue-painted 6-piston fixed calipers featuring the M logo. Single-piston floating caliper brakes see duty at the rear on 14.96 x 1.10 [in] perforated, inner-vented brake discs, with integrated parking brake.
      M carbon-ceramic brakes are also available as an option on the all-new BMW M5. These brakes are instantly recognizable from the gold-colored calipers with M logo 6-piston fixed calipers and 15.74 x 1.49 [in] ventilated brake discs at front; single-piston floating calipers and 14.96 x 1.10 [in] ventilated brake discs at rear, resulting in 50.7 lb reduction of unsprung and rotating masses. This offers many benefits, including improved driving dynamics and increased suspension comfort. More importantly, the M carbon-ceramic brakes provide even better braking performance than M compound brakes, as well as improved fade resistance and even higher thermal stability.
      Sporting M design with distinction. Form driven by function
      “The BMW M5 has always embodied the perfect blend of mature business sedan and high-performance components. So you can think of the BMW M5 as the world’s fastest-moving tailored suit.” These are the words chosen by Domagoj Dukec, Vice President of Design BMW i and BMW M, to sum up the brief for the all-new BMW M5. Like all the models to come out of BMW M GmbH HQ in Garching, its design is M-specific and driven by function. For example, the newly designed front bumper trim, with its larger air intakes, has the task of providing the cooling systems and brakes with the adequate supply of cooling air – even in rigorous use on the racetrack. The car has a wider track than its predecessor, and the front side panels (made from aluminum to reduce weight) bear the signature M gills.
      Also carved from aluminum is the hood, whose precise lines create an eye-catching sculpture and extend visually into the roof. For the first time in the BMW M5, the roof itself is made from extremely lightweight, high-strength carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP).
      The redesigned rear diffuser, side skirts, the M rear apron and M rear spoiler, play their part in giving the all-new BMW M5 its powerful sporting appearance, and the exterior mirrors have a dynamic, M-specific design. In another example of form following function, the hexagonal central air intake in the front end not only separates itself sculpturally from the side air intakes, it also incorporates the oil cooler.
      The interior focuses squarely on the driver for absolute control in all driving situations. At the same time, the BMW M5 offers space for up to four passengers, a large trunk and excellent ride comfort. As a high-performance sports car and business sedan in one, it blends the best of both worlds.
      The driver is at the heart of the action. Equipment without compromise
      When it comes to the equipment on board the all-new BMW M5, dynamic driving experience is king. The center-point is the driver’s seat, from where all switches and buttons can be operated with optimum ergonomic convenience. All of the car’s functions are located directly in the driver’s eye line. The large digital instrument cluster from the BMW 5 Series has an M-specific design and keeps the driver informed on the driving dynamic mode, M xDrive all-wheel-drive system setting and Drivelogic option currently engaged. Key elements for the sporty driver are the variable rpm pre-warning field and shift lights that show the best time to shift gears. This data can also be reflected into the M-specific Head-Up Display.
      Virtually all of the driving dynamic systems can be configured using the central touchscreen display, buttons on the center console or M sports steering wheel, and the central information display offers BMW Gesture control. The M5’s engine is brought to life by pressing the red starter button. Among the essential features for drivers wanting to customize the driving dynamics are the new two red-painted M1 and M2 buttons next to the gearshift paddles on the M multifunction steering wheel, which allow drivers to configure two individual set-ups. These include their choice of M xDrive, DSC, engine, transmission, damper and steering characteristics, as well as the appearance of M view in the Head-Up Display.
      The all-new BMW M5 is trimmed with Extended Merino leather as standard. The driver and front passenger settle into M Multifunction seats with electric adjustment, seat heating and electric adjustment for the seat depth, and pneumatic backrest width adjustment deliver optimum lateral support. The M Multifunction seats feature integral head restraints that provide even better support in the shoulder area, an illuminated M5 logo and extended functions. With their racing-style bucket shape and the thicker side bolsters of the seat surface and backrest, the M multifunction seats offer even greater lateral support. For the first time, the M5 is now also available with all the driver assistance systems featured in the new BMW 5 Series.
      The all-new BMW M5 is available in a variety of exterior colors, some of which are reserved exclusively for the M5. New additions to the spectrum include Marina Bay Blue Metallic, an intense shade of blue. Inside the car, exclusive aluminum applications with a carbon-structure provide a special sporting flourish.
      The BMW M5 First Edition. Limited-run special edition with exclusive specification
      First come, first served is the motto as BMW M GmbH launches the all-new BMW M5 with the option of a “First Edition” special-edition model limited to a worldwide run of 400 examples with 50 units coming to the US. The 2018 BMW M5 First Edition will be available starting spring of 2018 with pricing announced closer to market launch.
      The all-new BMW M5 First Edition has exclusive Frozen Dark Red Metallic paintwork and includes BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line trim with extended features. This means that the kidney grille, the M gills and the four tailpipes of the sports exhaust all come in high-gloss black. The M5 First Edition is fitted as standard with 20-inch seven-double-spoke light-alloy wheels in black.
      The BMW M5 First Edition also has an individual flavor inside. The Piano Finish Black applications are complemented by a plaque on the center console indicating the car’s production number (“M5 First Edition 1/400”), pointing to the exclusivity of this BMW M5. The M5 First Edition comes a

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Whenever there is a new 5-Series, the countdown clock is started for the arrival of high-performance M5. Today, the clock hit zero as BMW unveiled the 2018 M5.
      Under the hood lies a familiar twin-turbo 4.4L V8 with 600 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque - healthy increases of 40 and 53 respectively. A new eight-speed automatic is the sole transmission choice, sorry manual lovers. The 2018 M5 also comes with the M xDrive system which can either send power to all four wheels or just the rear wheels if you want to some smoky drifts. 60 mph comes in 3.2 seconds and can hit a top speed of 155 mph (189 mph if you opt for the M Driver's Package).
      BMW has also done a bit of work to the M5's suspension with new wheel bearings, firmer anti-roll bars, and a steel x-brace. 15.5-inch steel rotors with six-piston calipers up front and single-piston calipers in the rear help bring the M5 to a stop. A set of carbon ceramic brakes are available as an option. There has also been a bit of weight loss with aluminum being used for the hood and front fenders and carbon fiber for the roof.
      There is a special edition of the M5 called the First Edition that is limited to 400 models worldwide, with 50 of those coming to the U.S. First Edition models stand out from the standard M5 with Frozen Dark Red Metallic paint, gloss black used on the grille and tailpipes; and a set of 20-inch black wheels.
      The 2018 M5 arrives in the U.S. next spring.
      Source: BMW
      The All-New 2018 BMW M5: The Quintessential High-Performance Sedan
      The 6th generation BMW M5 is the quickest most technologically advanced M-vehicle to date: 0–60 mph in a lightning-quick 3.2 seconds; 0–124 mph in just 11.1 seconds. Top speed: 189 mph with optional M Driver’s Package. The latest generation M TwinPower Turbo technology 4.4-liter V8 engine develops 600 hp and peak torque of 553 lb-ft. Debut of the first ever BMW M xDrive system with 2WD capability. M compound brakes fitted as standard. Available M carbon ceramic brakes provide a 50 lb. unsprung weight reduction. Like all M models, the chassis was honed on the world’s most challenging race circuit, the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Reduced weight by intelligent use of materials such as a carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) roof and a weight-optimized exhaust system. Exceptional performance both in day-to-day driving and on the racetrack. BMW M5 First Edition with exclusive specification available in limited 50 unit run in the US. Woodcliff Lake, NJ – August 21, 2017… Today, BMW unveiled the all-new 2018 BMW M5, a car that since 1984 has been regarded as the quintessential high-performance sports sedan. The previous generations of the BMW M5 all possess purebred racing genes and acquitted themselves impressively on the racetrack as well as on the road. The all-new BMW M5 represents the 6th generation and, like those that have come before it, delivers on these promises – and more. The all-new 2018 M5 will also debut the M-specific all-wheel-drive system, M xDrive. This new system allows the M5 to reach new heights of dynamic performance and delivers poise in all driving situations. Frank van Meel, Chairman of the Board of Management at BMW M GmbH, explains the benefits of this pioneering drivetrain technology: “Thanks to M xDrive, the all-new BMW M5 can be piloted with the familiar blend of sportiness and unerring accuracy both on the racetrack and out on the open road, while also delighting drivers with its significantly enhanced directional stability and controllability right up to the limits of performance when driving in adverse conditions such as on wet roads or snow.” When the engine is first started, the all-new BMW M5 will be in all-wheel-drive mode (4WD) with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) turned on. The driver is then able to vary the handling characteristics of the M5 by enabling various driving dynamics modes, including a rear-wheel-drive mode with no DSC. In this 2WD mode, the all-new BMW M5 offers drivers the opportunity to experience BMW’s traditional rear-wheel drive characteristics.
      Under the hood of the all-new BMW M5 is the latest and most advanced version of the renowned 4.4-liter V8 engine featuring M TwinPower Turbo technology with an output increase from the previous generation of 40 hp and 53 lb-ft, this new engine develops 600 hp and 553 lb-ft of peak torque to promise explosive acceleration and formidable performance. The twin-turbo V8 unit propels the M5 via the new 8-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic and teams up with the M xDrive system to transfer all of the high-revving turbocharged engine’s might to the road, and allows a 0–60 mph acceleration run in a mere 3.2 seconds, making it the quickest and most agile to date.
      The all-new 2018 BMW M5 will be available at certified BMW Centers in spring 2018 with pricing to be announced closer to market launch.
      M TwinPower Turbo, M xDrive and the 8-speed M Steptronic transmission
      The all-new BMW M5 features a 4.4-liter V8 engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology. The high-revving power unit in the all-new BMW M5 has received a thorough overhaul and delivers its exceptional output of 600 hp from 5,700 to 6,600 rpm, while the tremendous peak torque of 553 lb-ft is on tap from just 1,800 rpm and remains constant all the way up to 5,700 rpm. The engine characteristics can be changed at the push of a button from the basic Efficient setting to either Sport or Sport Plus, resulting in a more crisp response to movements of the accelerator.
      The M engineers have implemented a raft of enhancements to endow the twin-turbo V8 with its phenomenal performance capabilities. These include newly developed twin-scroll turbochargers now delivering 24.46 psi of relative boost pressure as well as a higher maximum injection pressure of 350 bar (up from 200 bar). This allows shorter injection times and improved atomization of the fuel for sharper engine response as well as more efficient mixture preparation. Improvements have also been made to the lubrication and cooling systems, including an oil pan with a small front sump and new indirect charge air cooling units, which are more effective than its predecessor despite being almost 20% smaller in size. The oil supply system uses a fully variable, map-controlled pump and has been designed for weekend escapades to the racetrack, where it can handle very high levels of longitudinal and lateral acceleration.
      The cross-bank exhaust manifolds for the all-new BMW M5 have also been modified to optimize the flow of energy from the exhaust gas to the turbine wheels of the two twin-scroll turbochargers ensuring the best possible gas-exchange cycle. By fitting a Helmholtz resonator between the two silencers of the dual exhaust system, the M engineers have reduced its weight by 11 lbs. The sound from the active flap-controlled exhaust system varies depending on the selected mode for the engine characteristics, while the M Sound Control button allows further acoustic customization.
      The twin-scroll twin-turbo V8’s power is channeled to the road via the newly developed M xDrive all-wheel-drive system. The rear-biased set-up ensures that the front wheels only come into play when the rear wheels are not able to transmit any more torque to the road and additional tractive force is required. The main hardware components of M xDrive are based on the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system and the Active M Differential technology. Central M specific driving dynamics control software precisely to orchestrate the various components, providing enhanced traction, agility and directional stability at all times.
      The reinforced drivetrain allows it to cope with the higher torque, the rear-biased configuration and the 2WD mode. While the transfer case intelligently splits the drive torque between the front and rear wheels, the Active M Differential is responsible for then distributing the drive flow between the rear wheels varying the locking effect as the situation demands. With M xDrive, stabilizing interventions from the DSC system are only required in extreme situations, enabling the engine’s tremendous power to be converted into propulsive force with virtually zero losses. The M xDrive system allows drivers to command the all-new BMW M5 with even greater precision and directional accuracy to respond sensitively and directly to the driver’s inputs, which in turn enable fewer steering corrections when driving at the limit.
      Drivers can configure M xDrive at any time to suit their needs. Even in the default setting with both DSC and 4WD activated, the all-new BMW M5 allows a certain amount of slip at the rear wheels when accelerating out of corners to produce the agility for which M models are renowned while remaining perfectly controllable at all times. The all-wheel drive’s traction helps to produce acceleration times that are worthy of super-sports cars: 0–60 mph in a breathtaking 3.2 seconds and 0–124 mph in just 11.1 seconds.
      Switching to the M Dynamic mode (MDM, 4WD Sport) gives additional boost to the car’s handling agility. In this mode, more drive torque is directed to the rear axle, while the amount of permissible rear wheel slip is increased. While doing so, the onset of oversteer is noticeable in good time and the linear increase of the sideslip angle means that the vehicle remains stable.
      The three modes available with the DSC system switched off have been configured keeping track driving in mind. The 4WD mode is set up for the greatest possible controllability and traction, and already offers plenty of scope for exploring the dynamic performance capabilities of the all-new BMW M5. The 4WD Sport mode, meanwhile, with its blend of steering precision, agile handling and reassuring traction, guarantees maximum enjoyment and consistent lap times. The pure rear-wheel-drive mode (2WD) has been designed with the experienced and highly skilled driver in mind. This opens up the same thrilling experience already offered by past generations of the M5.
      The new 8-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic has been strictly geared towards high-performance duty while the wide ratio spread helps to optimize fuel efficiency. The transmission has been engineered so the torque converter lock-up clutch fully engages once the car has pulled away, proving instantaneous response. Lightning-fast gear changes with optimal gear ratio spacing ensure that even the most demanding driver will appreciate its technological prowess. The driver can choose between fully automatic shifting in D mode, or opt for sequential gearshifts via the new short gear selector on the center console or the M shift paddles on the steering wheel.
      The transmission’s shift mapping can be modified using the Drivelogic rocker switch in the gear selector. Drivelogic mode 1 corresponds to efficient driving. Mode 2 lends itself to sporty driving with its shortened shift times. Drivelogic mode 3 is optimized for high-sporty driving on the track thanks to its extremely short shift times. Those preferring to shift gears manually can also execute multiple downshifts to the lowest available gear, for instance when braking into tight corners. With manual mode engaged, there are no automatic upshifts when the engine is revved to the limit either. A transmission oil cooler ensures flawless transmission operation even when the car is put through its paces on the track.
      Newly Developed chassis technology. A new benchmark in driving dynamics
      The goal of the team responsible for tuning the all-new BMW M5 chassis was to achieve unbeatable driving dynamics with maximum directional stability. As is usual for BMW M GmbH, the tuning took place in part on the company’s own race circuit at Miramas in the south of France, as well as on the world’s toughest test track, the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
      The precise, agile handling that drivers have come to expect from previous generations of the M5 has been optimized for the all-new car. Individual driver needs are met by the wide range of options for configuring the vehicle, including M xDrive, the 8-speed M Steptronic with Drivelogic, the M-specific Variable Damper Control (incl. three driving modes: Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus) with electronically controlled shock absorbers, and M Servotronic steering (incl. three driving modes: Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus). A top priority when tuning the chassis of the all-new BMW M5 was to achieve neutral steering behavior with linear build-up of transverse loads across the full range of lateral acceleration. Whatever the driving situation, the electromechanical M Servotronic steering delivers exactly the right amount of steering torque. This ensures that the all-new BMW M5 has accurate steering and always communicates clear feedback to the driver. What’s more, because of all of these systems the car is great for long-distance driving or touring along the city thanks to the low steering force required for maneuvering and parking.
      The familiar double-wishbone suspension from the front axle of the BMW 5 Series has been reworked from the ground up for the all-new BMW M5 with M xDrive. M engineers have redesigned every component to factor in M-specific kinematic and elastokinematic characteristics. Directional stability is greater than ever thanks to the increased track width. The five-link rear suspension has also been modified to meet M-specific requirements. Optimized firmer anti-roll bars and new toe links featuring stiffer rubber mounts help accommodate the increased demands on the driving dynamics and steering precision. Specially developed for the M5, the elastomer bearings on the rear axle mounts ensure that there is no delay in transferring chassis forces, which makes for direct handling. An additional steel X-brace and an aluminum transverse strut increase the stiffness of the chassis linkages at the rear axle, resulting in improved response. Additional chassis modifications not visible externally perform functions that are no less important. For example, an aluminum tower-to-bulkhead and tower-to-frontend strut braces enhance stiffness at the front of the car.
      The complete chassis and powertrain package put together by the BMW M engineers is so detailed that even experienced racers like former Formula One star and BMW works driver Timo Glock are impressed: “Thanks to M xDrive, the new BMW M5 goes beyond the precise, agile drive that we’ve come to expect – it also serves up a noticeable boost in traction and controllability, both in everyday situations and at the dynamic limit.”
      The tires fitted as standard on the all-new BMW M5 (275/40 R 19 at the front and 285/40 R 19 at the rear) have been specially homologated for this vehicle. They are mounted on five-double-spoke cast light-alloy wheels in polished Orbit Grey (front: 9.5 J x 19, rear: 10.5 J x 19). 20-inch seven-double-spoke wheels in black or polished black are available as an option (front: 275/35 R 20, at rear: 285/35 R 20). All wheels are ZR speed rated, making them suitable for the 189 mph top speed achieved with the available M Driver’s Package (155 mph standard).
      The all-new BMW M5 comes with M compound brakes fitted as standard. Being significantly lighter than conventional cast iron units, these have the distinct benefit of reducing unsprung mass. At the front, the braking force is applied to 15.55 x 1.41 [in] perforated, inner-vented brake discs by blue-painted 6-piston fixed calipers featuring the M logo. Single-piston floating caliper brakes see duty at the rear on 14.96 x 1.10 [in] perforated, inner-vented brake discs, with integrated parking brake.
      M carbon-ceramic brakes are also available as an option on the all-new BMW M5. These brakes are instantly recognizable from the gold-colored calipers with M logo 6-piston fixed calipers and 15.74 x 1.49 [in] ventilated brake discs at front; single-piston floating calipers and 14.96 x 1.10 [in] ventilated brake discs at rear, resulting in 50.7 lb reduction of unsprung and rotating masses. This offers many benefits, including improved driving dynamics and increased suspension comfort. More importantly, the M carbon-ceramic brakes provide even better braking performance than M compound brakes, as well as improved fade resistance and even higher thermal stability.
      Sporting M design with distinction. Form driven by function
      “The BMW M5 has always embodied the perfect blend of mature business sedan and high-performance components. So you can think of the BMW M5 as the world’s fastest-moving tailored suit.” These are the words chosen by Domagoj Dukec, Vice President of Design BMW i and BMW M, to sum up the brief for the all-new BMW M5. Like all the models to come out of BMW M GmbH HQ in Garching, its design is M-specific and driven by function. For example, the newly designed front bumper trim, with its larger air intakes, has the task of providing the cooling systems and brakes with the adequate supply of cooling air – even in rigorous use on the racetrack. The car has a wider track than its predecessor, and the front side panels (made from aluminum to reduce weight) bear the signature M gills.
      Also carved from aluminum is the hood, whose precise lines create an eye-catching sculpture and extend visually into the roof. For the first time in the BMW M5, the roof itself is made from extremely lightweight, high-strength carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP).
      The redesigned rear diffuser, side skirts, the M rear apron and M rear spoiler, play their part in giving the all-new BMW M5 its powerful sporting appearance, and the exterior mirrors have a dynamic, M-specific design. In another example of form following function, the hexagonal central air intake in the front end not only separates itself sculpturally from the side air intakes, it also incorporates the oil cooler.
      The interior focuses squarely on the driver for absolute control in all driving situations. At the same time, the BMW M5 offers space for up to four passengers, a large trunk and excellent ride comfort. As a high-performance sports car and business sedan in one, it blends the best of both worlds.
      The driver is at the heart of the action. Equipment without compromise
      When it comes to the equipment on board the all-new BMW M5, dynamic driving experience is king. The center-point is the driver’s seat, from where all switches and buttons can be operated with optimum ergonomic convenience. All of the car’s functions are located directly in the driver’s eye line. The large digital instrument cluster from the BMW 5 Series has an M-specific design and keeps the driver informed on the driving dynamic mode, M xDrive all-wheel-drive system setting and Drivelogic option currently engaged. Key elements for the sporty driver are the variable rpm pre-warning field and shift lights that show the best time to shift gears. This data can also be reflected into the M-specific Head-Up Display.
      Virtually all of the driving dynamic systems can be configured using the central touchscreen display, buttons on the center console or M sports steering wheel, and the central information display offers BMW Gesture control. The M5’s engine is brought to life by pressing the red starter button. Among the essential features for drivers wanting to customize the driving dynamics are the new two red-painted M1 and M2 buttons next to the gearshift paddles on the M multifunction steering wheel, which allow drivers to configure two individual set-ups. These include their choice of M xDrive, DSC, engine, transmission, damper and steering characteristics, as well as the appearance of M view in the Head-Up Display.
      The all-new BMW M5 is trimmed with Extended Merino leather as standard. The driver and front passenger settle into M Multifunction seats with electric adjustment, seat heating and electric adjustment for the seat depth, and pneumatic backrest width adjustment deliver optimum lateral support. The M Multifunction seats feature integral head restraints that provide even better support in the shoulder area, an illuminated M5 logo and extended functions. With their racing-style bucket shape and the thicker side bolsters of the seat surface and backrest, the M multifunction seats offer even greater lateral support. For the first time, the M5 is now also available with all the driver assistance systems featured in the new BMW 5 Series.
      The all-new BMW M5 is available in a variety of exterior colors, some of which are reserved exclusively for the M5. New additions to the spectrum include Marina Bay Blue Metallic, an intense shade of blue. Inside the car, exclusive aluminum applications with a carbon-structure provide a special sporting flourish.
      The BMW M5 First Edition. Limited-run special edition with exclusive specification
      First come, first served is the motto as BMW M GmbH launches the all-new BMW M5 with the option of a “First Edition” special-edition model limited to a worldwide run of 400 examples with 50 units coming to the US. The 2018 BMW M5 First Edition will be available starting spring of 2018 with pricing announced closer to market launch.
      The all-new BMW M5 First Edition has exclusive Frozen Dark Red Metallic paintwork and includes BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line trim with extended features. This means that the kidney grille, the M gills and the four tailpipes of the sports exhaust all come in high-gloss black. The M5 First Edition is fitted as standard with 20-inch seven-double-spoke light-alloy wheels in black.
      The BMW M5 First Edition also has an individual flavor inside. The Piano Finish Black applications are complemented by a plaque on the center console indicating the car’s production number (“M5 First Edition 1/400”), pointing to the exclusivity of this BMW M5. The M5 First Edition comes a

• By William Maley
      With only 500 Ford GTs being built for its production, each one will be considered as a rare and special vehicle. But there will always be those who want something a bit more special. Ford has just the GT for you in the form of the 2018 GT '67 Heritage Edition.
      Paying homage to the 1967 Le Mans victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, the '67 Heritage Edition is finished in the same red paint and white stripes, as well as the same no.1 that the winning GT40 wore. Other exterior items to take note of are the exposed carbon fiber package, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, red brake calipers, and silver mirror caps. The interior comes with red accent stitching, anodized gray paddle shifters, exposed carbon fiber trim, and a serialized identification plaque.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing,” said Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance.
      Ford says they will build a limited amount of the GT ’67 Heritage Edition.

FORD PERFORMANCE TO OFFER TRIBUTE LIVERY OF HISTORIC 1967 LE MANS WINNER WITH 2018 FORD GT '67 HERITAGE EDITION
      Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition with unique red-and-white-stripe livery celebrates 1967 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mark IV race car driven by all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt   Ford GT ‘67 Heritage edition honoring historic No. 1 race car introduced for 2018 model year Limited-edition Ford GT features exclusive race-number graphics, plus unique interior colors, materials and appointments DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 15, 2017 – The 2018 Ford GT will be available in a new limited-edition Heritage theme honoring the GT40 Mark IV race car driven to victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt at Le Mans in 1967. The car will feature unique interior and exterior color themes, and an exclusive wheel finish.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt,” said Dave Pericak, global director Ford Performance. “The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition features a gloss-finish Race Red exterior with white stripes and exposed carbon package. The car sports Frozen White No. 1 hood and door graphics, and 20-inch one-piece forged aluminum wheels in silver satin clearcoat with black lug nuts. Red calipers and silver rearview mirror caps complete the look.
      The interior begins with new leather trimming for the carbon fiber seats, with red accent stitching, which carries over to the steering wheel. The seat belt webbing is now red and the paddle shifters are anodized gray. Satin dark stainless appliqués are used on the instrument panel, door register bezels and x-brace.
      Rounding out modifications to the ’67 Heritage edition car are a unique serialized identification plate, plus exposed matte carbon fiber door sills, air register pods and center console.
      “The first Heritage edition car was a huge success, honoring our history with a modern interpretation of the Le Mans winner,” said Garen Nicoghosian, exterior design manager for the car. “Continuing with a 2018 Ford GT based on the winning GT40 Mark IV race car was simply something we needed to do.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition can be viewed at FordGT.com using the configuration tool. Limited quantities will be available for the 2018 model year.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      With only 500 Ford GTs being built for its production, each one will be considered as a rare and special vehicle. But there will always be those who want something a bit more special. Ford has just the GT for you in the form of the 2018 GT '67 Heritage Edition.
      Paying homage to the 1967 Le Mans victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, the '67 Heritage Edition is finished in the same red paint and white stripes, as well as the same no.1 that the winning GT40 wore. Other exterior items to take note of are the exposed carbon fiber package, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, red brake calipers, and silver mirror caps. The interior comes with red accent stitching, anodized gray paddle shifters, exposed carbon fiber trim, and a serialized identification plaque.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing,” said Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance.
      Ford says they will build a limited amount of the GT ’67 Heritage Edition.

FORD PERFORMANCE TO OFFER TRIBUTE LIVERY OF HISTORIC 1967 LE MANS WINNER WITH 2018 FORD GT '67 HERITAGE EDITION
      Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition with unique red-and-white-stripe livery celebrates 1967 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mark IV race car driven by all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt   Ford GT ‘67 Heritage edition honoring historic No. 1 race car introduced for 2018 model year Limited-edition Ford GT features exclusive race-number graphics, plus unique interior colors, materials and appointments DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 15, 2017 – The 2018 Ford GT will be available in a new limited-edition Heritage theme honoring the GT40 Mark IV race car driven to victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt at Le Mans in 1967. The car will feature unique interior and exterior color themes, and an exclusive wheel finish.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt,” said Dave Pericak, global director Ford Performance. “The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition features a gloss-finish Race Red exterior with white stripes and exposed carbon package. The car sports Frozen White No. 1 hood and door graphics, and 20-inch one-piece forged aluminum wheels in silver satin clearcoat with black lug nuts. Red calipers and silver rearview mirror caps complete the look.
      The interior begins with new leather trimming for the carbon fiber seats, with red accent stitching, which carries over to the steering wheel. The seat belt webbing is now red and the paddle shifters are anodized gray. Satin dark stainless appliqués are used on the instrument panel, door register bezels and x-brace.
      Rounding out modifications to the ’67 Heritage edition car are a unique serialized identification plate, plus exposed matte carbon fiber door sills, air register pods and center console.
      “The first Heritage edition car was a huge success, honoring our history with a modern interpretation of the Le Mans winner,” said Garen Nicoghosian, exterior design manager for the car. “Continuing with a 2018 Ford GT based on the winning GT40 Mark IV race car was simply something we needed to do.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition can be viewed at FordGT.com using the configuration tool. Limited quantities will be available for the 2018 model year.
    • By William Maley
      Acura has pulled the curtain back on the refreshed 2018 RLX sedan. Your first thought might be along the lines of, "that's still a thing?"
      We can't blame you for this train of thought. Acura only sold 1,478 RLXs last year. To give you some perspective, 46,740 Mercedes-Benz E-Class models were sold in this same period. Despite this, Acura is still planning to soldier on the RLX. 
      The most obvious change for the RLX is the new front end. Acura's "diamond pentagon" grille is here, along with the jewel eye headlights and a new sculpted hood. The back also sees some changes with new LED taillights and a gloss black rear diffuser. The interior doesn't see many changes aside from new materials and reshaped front seats.
      Acura will offer two variants of the RLX. The RLX with Precision All-Wheel Steer (P-AWS) uses a 3.5L V6 with 310 horsepower and a new 10-speed automatic. One step above is the RLX  Sport Hybrid with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) which takes the V6 and pairs it up with three electric motors to produce a combined output of 377 horsepower. 
      For safety, the 2018 RLX comes with the AcuraWatch suite of technologies including automatic emergency braking, lane keeping assist, lane departure warning, forward collision warning, and adaptive cruise control. Exclusive to AcuraWatch is Traffic Jam Assist which uses the adaptive cruise control and Low Speed Follow systems to keep the vehicle moving at a set distance in congested traffic, 
      “This redesign of the 2018 Acura RLX is transformational, creating road presence and styling that better reflect underlying performance capabilities of the vehicle,” said Jon Ikeda, Acura vice president & general manager in a statement.
      The 2018 RLX will make its official debut next week during Monterey Automotive Week in California.
      Source: Acura

Acura Reveals Striking New Design for 2018 Acura RLX; Debut Set for Monterey Automotive Week

Aug 10, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
      2018 Acura RLX adopts new Acura design direction including signature diamond pentagon grille Supercar inspired 377-horsepower RLX Sport Hybrid with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ has been further optimized based on NSX learnings Standard AcuraWatch™ enhanced with Traffic Jam Assist, an Acura first Acura today unveiled a redesigned 2018 Acura RLX reflecting the brand’s new Precision Crafted Performance design direction to create a more substantial presence for Acura’s top-of-the-line luxury sports sedan. The 2018 Acura RLX will make its public debut during the prestigious Monterey Automotive Week, August 15-19 on the Monterey peninsula. The new RLX incorporates design cues to showcase its performance capabilities, including Acura’s signature diamond pentagon grille, a more sculpted hood, new wheel designs, bold, newly designed LED taillights, dual exhaust finishers and a gloss black rear diffuser.
      The 2018 Acura RLX is the most sophisticated and best performing Acura sedan ever, with Sport Hybrid Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD™) technology, shared with the NSX supercar, that creates a powerful and precise driving experience unmatched in the segment. Acura has simplified the RLX trim structure to make the brand’s innovative Sport Hybrid technology more desirable and accessible streamlining the offering to two well-equipped variants. The new 2018 Acura RLX will go on sale in November.
      The 377 total system horsepowersup1 RLX Sport Hybrid seamlessly integrates a direct-injected V-6 with three electric motors and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ for instant acceleration, precise handling, outstanding all-weather performance and excellent fuel economy. Based on developments from the NSX, the RLX Sport Hybrid powertrain and dynamic handling has been further optimized.  
      The 310-horsepower RLX with Precision All-Wheel Steer™ is now mated to a new 10-speed Automatic Transmission (10AT) delivering a more refined driving experience, as well as improved acceleration and passing times.
      “This redesign of the 2018 Acura RLX is transformational, creating road presence and styling that better reflect underlying performance capabilities of the vehicle,” said Jon Ikeda, Acura vice president & general manager.
      Standard features on the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid include premium Krell Audio System, Surround View Camera, parking sensors, LED fog lights, remote engine start, ventilated and heated front seats, heated rear seats and steering wheel and more.
      The 2018 RLX features the unique AcuraWatch™ suite of technologies, as standard equipment, and has been enhanced with the addition of Traffic Jam Assist, a first for Acura. Working in conjunction with Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow, Traffic Jam Assist helps reduce driver stress in highly congested traffic situations by helping keep the vehicle in its lane and a set interval behind a car detected ahead.
      AcuraWatch™ also includes Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with automatic emergency braking, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM). AcuraWatch uses a millimeter wave radar and monocular camera sensing technology to detect other vehicles as well as lane markings and can help intervene to prevent or mitigate the severity of a collision.
      The 2018 Acura RLX is complimented by three new exterior colors including two premium paint offerings – Brilliant Red Metallic and Majestic Black Pearl. Inside, the 2018 Acura RLX receives upgraded materials and touchpoints including a completely redesigned seat featuring high-contrast piping and stitching, as well as a new Espresso interior option, which adds sophistication to an interior with class-leading space and comfort.  
      The 2018 Acura RLX will be featured at multiple events throughout Monterey Automotive Week including the Carmel-By-The Sea Concours on the Avenue on Tuesday, August 15 and The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering, on Friday, August 18.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online