Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

(UPDATE) 2017 Mazda CX-5 Shows Evolution Can Be A Good Thing: Comments

UPDATE: The rumor was true. Today at the LA Auto Show, Mazda announced that the 2.2L Skyactiv-D will be available for the U.S.-Spec CX-5. Expect it sometime in the second half of next year.

To think that the vehicle that has kicked off Mazda's current design language and introduced us all to Skyactiv technologies was a crossover. But the Mazda CX-5 has proved to be a success. But how do you improve on an impressive vehicle? Mazda gave us the answer to that question last night with the introduction of the 2017 CX-5.

The overall profile of the CX-5 may look the same as the outgoing model, but it is clear the design is all new. Up front are a set of slimmer headlights, wider grille with a mesh insert, and a new bumper. The back features the same design for tailgate as the larger CX-9 crossover. Inside, the CX-5 follows the same design ideals as the recently updated 3 and 6 with the infotainment screen sitting on top and more soft-touch materials

There will be three engines on offer for the CX-5 - the 2.0L and 2.5L Skyactiv-G gas engines and 2.2L Skyactiv-D. Mazda isn't commenting on power figures or which engines will be available for the U.S. We're expecting the 2.0 and 2.5 engines to make a return, but the diesel is a complete unknown. As we reported in the rumorpile back on Monday, Mazda is expected to announce plans for the 2.2 Skyactiv-D at the LA Auto Show. Mazda will be holding a press conference later this afternoon at the show and it could be where they make the announcement - we'll keep you updated.

Front-wheel drive comes standard, while all-wheel drive will be available as an option. The CX-5 will also get Mazda's G-Vectoring Control that alters torque delivery to improve steering.

The 2017 Mazda CX-5 will go on sale in Japan in February, with other markets following thereafter.

Source: Mazda
Press Release is on Page 2

Mazda Unveils the All-New CX-5

• Sales start in February in Japan with launches in global markets to follow

HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation today unveiled the all-new Mazda CX-5 crossover SUV. The fully redesigned model, which refines every element of Mazda’s design and technology to offer new dimensions of driving pleasure, will be launched in Japan in February before being rolled out to global markets.

The slogan for development of the all-new CX-5 was “an SUV all customers will enjoy,” and Mazda aimed to add a new dimension by offering driving pleasure that everyone on board can enjoy—not just the driver. The model is engineered in line with human sensibilities to deliver responsive performance that conforms to the driver’s expectations. It also prioritizes passenger comfort, with a quiet cabin and pleasant ride feel, and adopts G-Vectoring Control, the first of the SKYACTIV-VEHICLE DYNAMICS vehicle motion control technologies. Designed under the KODO—Soul of Motion design theme, the exterior is both bold and sensual, and the interior has been crafted to give occupants a pleasant feeling. The body color lineup includes the newly developed Soul Red Crystal, which highlights the beauty and quality of Mazda’s KODO designs.

The powertrain lineup comprises the SKYACTIV-G 2.0 and 2.5 gasoline, and SKYACTIV-D 2.2 diesel engines. All three options offer powerful, linear driving performance and outstanding environmental performance.

The all-new CX-5 will be on display at the Los Angeles Auto Show, open to the public Nov. 18-27.

View full article

i like the grill change... iffy on the "chin".

Yay for the diesel! Hopefully the oil issue has been corrected and power figures are very close to overseas.

not that i plan to buy a new car again anytime soon, but looking forward to what the next 6 holds... and bring a wagon too Mazda!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Yawn, same ol same ol, nothing that revs the blood. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz<_<

We both tend to have very strong tastes and vehicles and react very strongly to things we don't like. The Mazda does very well in its target demographic, even if you are not part of that target demographic.

23 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

So... we are or aren't getting the diesel..? If this offers a diesel chalk me up for a waiting list. Okay maybe not.. but I will SERIOUSLY consider it.

If the Diesel does actually show up, it would be interesting to do a head to head comparison of the Diesel Equinox to the Diesel CX5.

That would be a rocking review! :metal: 

The diesel is coming. I spoke to the Mazda rep about this today.  ... it maybe won't show up till the 2018 model year (so a year from now). 

And the interior in this thing is probably the best in class at the moment.... or at least can be loaded up to be best in class.  Not having a luxury brand means Mazda does't have to hold back on making their main brand too luxurious to leave room for the brand above it. 

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I like the overall look outside, even looking past the ugly face. But the interior puts me to sleep.  Nothing there, other than what looks like a small ipad glued to the top.

1 hour ago, Wings4Life said:

I like the overall look outside, even looking past the ugly face. But the interior puts me to sleep.  Nothing there, other than what looks like a small ipad glued to the top.

Dollar for dollar, the interiors are decent but do not excite me terribly. There are people who swear by Mazda products and people who swear at them, I am pretty much in the latter category, other than the Miata, which I love.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:54 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

The diesel is coming. I spoke to the Mazda rep about this today.  ... it maybe won't show up till the 2018 model year (so a year from now). 

And the interior in this thing is probably the best in class at the moment.... or at least can be loaded up to be best in class.  Not having a luxury brand means Mazda doesn't have to hold back on making their main brand too luxurious to leave room for the brand above it. 

For that matter, Acura is a supposed Luxury Brand and has damn near nothing inspirational about it.

What Acura products are not sold as a Honda somewhere else in the world market, for the most part?

Mazda is impressive because they buck the trend of a box on wheels with a crappy CVT, which is pretty much the average of JDM home market cars.

I admire the plucky and passionate nature of Mazda, just not sure the majority of their fleet moves me enough for sixty months and sixty payments.

• Agree 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:54 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

NICE! Are the numbers supposed to be similar to the 2.2 that's in other diesel Mazdas? They had two versions in the Mazda 6 a 148p/280tq and 173hp/310tq. I would have a feeling it would be the lower powered version but 173hp/310tq would be money for me.

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

NICE! Are the numbers supposed to be similar to the 2.2 that's in other diesel Mazdas? They had two versions in the Mazda 6 a 148p/280tq and 173hp/310tq. I would have a feeling it would be the lower powered version but 173hp/310tq would be money for me.

Do that in a Mazda 6 wagon to win over all of the Jetta/Golf wagon owners selling theirs back....

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

For a vehicle that bases about the same price as an Escape and then can wander into the low end of MKC territory... it's actually really nice. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

For a vehicle that bases about the same price as an Escape and then can wander into the low end of MKC territory... it's actually really nice. 

I see a ton of them on the road here in Ohio....

CX5 seems to do well up here too, like the Mazda3 used to.  This should be good enough to carry that momentum and potentially gain some with the diesel offering.  I like the current Mazda interiors, this one will take a little getting used to.

2017-mazda-cx-5.jpg

Edited by frogger