Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mercedez Benz News Rumorpile: Next Mercedes-Benz CLS Due In 2018, Might Split Into Two Models

Ever since Mercedes-Benz introduced the new E-Class earlier this year, there has been speculation as to when its sister model, the CLS would be redesigned. A new report says that it will take place in 2018.

According to Automotive News, the next-generation CLS is expected to go on sale in the summer of 2018 for the U.S. The model will use Mercedes' Modular Rear Architecture (MRA) that is not only lighter than the platform underpinning the current CLS, but also bring more room. Spy shots reveal that the design of the next CLS will evolve, but will not depart from the current look. There is talk that the new inline-six that Mercedes announced earlier this month could be used for the CLS.

The interesting bit about Automotive News' report is that Mercedes could move the CLS name to a new four-door sedan that AMG is currently developing, while the standard model would use the CLE nameplate. Also under speculation is that CLS shooting brake will be dropped when the next-generation model is introduced.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

I think calling it CLE makes a lot of sense because ever since they came up with the car in 2004 it has been an E-class chassis, I think the wheelbase is identical on them.   Then you just have E-class sedan, 4-door coupe, 2-door coupe, convertible, wagon.  It is a lot on one model, but really just the sheetmetal changes, the powertrains, hard points and dashboards can basically all be the same.

Not sure about the CLS - AMG sedan idea, I know they want a GT coupe modified into a sedan, but the E63 is already a mid-size super sedan, what more are you going to get performance wise?  I get that the S65 is too big to really be a sports car, it is luxury tank with a V12 that happens to be fast.

I'd rather see Mercedes start doing electric performance cars to fight Tesla, screw fighting the Panamera which they already have beat.

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

This gen never did do much for me.

Agreed....

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

SMK will love this news, I for one other than select AMG models find the whole product line a Yawn. :duck:

While I respect Benz, I find even the AMG stuff a yawn....

I loooooove this gen CLS as much as the 1st gen.

I have a feeling I will love the next gen as well.

The W211 E class was the last E Class I liked.

AMG on the CLS and on the S Class is what I lust over at Mercedes Benz.

And that is as far as it goes for me for Mercedes Benz in 2016 for me.

The SLS for me was OK. I liked it. But had I been a billionaire, I dont think Id buy one. Aston Martin or Lamborghini or Ferrari would get my money over the SLS.

If I understood correctly...1 car, 2 different names...separated by trim level and performance?

Why the need to separate the car into 2 names?

Edited by oldshurst442

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I loooooove this gen CLS as much as the 1st gen.

I have a feeling I will love the next gen as well.

The W211 E class was the last E Class I liked.

AMG on the CLS and on the S Class is what I lust over at Mercedes Benz.

And that is as far as it goes for me for Mercedes Benz in 2016 for me.

The SLS for me was OK. I liked it. But had I been a billionaire, I dont think Id buy one. Aston Martin or Lamborghini or Ferrari would get my money over the SLS.

If I understood correctly...1 car, 2 different names...separated by trim level and performance?

Why the need to separate the car into 2 names?

Because European car makers feel a need for a billion different models and trim levels.  I like how Benz sells two doors, convertibles and wagons....but BMW and Benz are off of the chain when it comes to the number of different models.

37 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Because European car makers feel a need for a billion different models and trim levels.  I like how Benz sells two doors, convertibles and wagons....but BMW and Benz are off of the chain when it comes to the number of different models.

It be awesome if it truly were different models...

Its more or less the same bloody model...

A 5 Series BMW is the 4 door.

A 6 Series is the coupe, is based off of the 5 Series and its platform.  Which is cool as the 6 Series looks nothing like the 5 Series...which is cool as odd numbers in the naming scheme equals 4 doors and even numbers constitute 2 doors....but, there is a 6 Series Grande Coupe which has, um, 4 doors...but that too is cool because like I said, the 6 Series looks nothing like the 5 Series, 4 doors or not...

But it would be cooler still if this pleasant anomaly would only exist at the 5/6 Series level.

The same madness happens with the 3 Series. Not cool.

M-B does the same thing, and will get nuttier still if this rumor in the article is correct.

I prefer when GM did it their way. Somehow GM's badge job engineering made more sense than the madness we are witnessing with M-B and BMW...

With GM, we often got 4-5 different names but twas 1 car...yet it seems less mad GM's way..

Image result for 1986 monte carlo ls

Image result for 1982 pontiac grand prix

Image result for oldsmobile cutlass supreme 1987

Related image

@Frisky Dingo

That 1st gen CLS is just mind blowin good.

It is also the first of a trend that even mainstream family haulin' sedans are copying,

Trendsetting awesomeness!!!

• Agree 1