William Maley

Mercedez Benz News Rumorpile: Next Mercedes-Benz CLS Due In 2018, Might Split Into Two Models

Ever since Mercedes-Benz introduced the new E-Class earlier this year, there has been speculation as to when its sister model, the CLS would be redesigned. A new report says that it will take place in 2018.

According to Automotive News, the next-generation CLS is expected to go on sale in the summer of 2018 for the U.S. The model will use Mercedes' Modular Rear Architecture (MRA) that is not only lighter than the platform underpinning the current CLS, but also bring more room. Spy shots reveal that the design of the next CLS will evolve, but will not depart from the current look. There is talk that the new inline-six that Mercedes announced earlier this month could be used for the CLS.

The interesting bit about Automotive News' report is that Mercedes could move the CLS name to a new four-door sedan that AMG is currently developing, while the standard model would use the CLE nameplate. Also under speculation is that CLS shooting brake will be dropped when the next-generation model is introduced.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

In gun metal gray (similar to the one on Ray Donavon), that is one gorgeous ride. Of course it would nice if this would happen in the U.S. Instead we just get more tall body wagons that they call "CUVs". For shame.

8cd24a35a2036b1014c3a082debae730.jpg

So, they are splitting another vehicle in two. How do the German makes keeping splitting hairs?

Such as BMW taking the 3 Series, then making a coupe out of it, only to make another sedan from the coupe. WTF. How do they do this? 

(feinting ignorance, pls ignore).

SMK will love this news, I for one other than select AMG models find the whole product line a Yawn. :duck:

I think calling it CLE makes a lot of sense because ever since they came up with the car in 2004 it has been an E-class chassis, I think the wheelbase is identical on them.   Then you just have E-class sedan, 4-door coupe, 2-door coupe, convertible, wagon.  It is a lot on one model, but really just the sheetmetal changes, the powertrains, hard points and dashboards can basically all be the same.

Not sure about the CLS - AMG sedan idea, I know they want a GT coupe modified into a sedan, but the E63 is already a mid-size super sedan, what more are you going to get performance wise?  I get that the S65 is too big to really be a sports car, it is luxury tank with a V12 that happens to be fast.

I'd rather see Mercedes start doing electric performance cars to fight Tesla, screw fighting the Panamera which they already have beat.

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

This gen never did do much for me.

Agreed....

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

SMK will love this news, I for one other than select AMG models find the whole product line a Yawn. :duck:

While I respect Benz, I find even the AMG stuff a yawn....

I loooooove this gen CLS as much as the 1st gen.

I have a feeling I will love the next gen as well.

The W211 E class was the last E Class I liked.

AMG on the CLS and on the S Class is what I lust over at Mercedes Benz.

And that is as far as it goes for me for Mercedes Benz in 2016 for me.

The SLS for me was OK. I liked it. But had I been a billionaire, I dont think Id buy one. Aston Martin or Lamborghini or Ferrari would get my money over the SLS.

If I understood correctly...1 car, 2 different names...separated by trim level and performance?

Why the need to separate the car into 2 names?

Edited by oldshurst442

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I loooooove this gen CLS as much as the 1st gen.

I have a feeling I will love the next gen as well.

The W211 E class was the last E Class I liked.

AMG on the CLS and on the S Class is what I lust over at Mercedes Benz.

And that is as far as it goes for me for Mercedes Benz in 2016 for me.

The SLS for me was OK. I liked it. But had I been a billionaire, I dont think Id buy one. Aston Martin or Lamborghini or Ferrari would get my money over the SLS.

If I understood correctly...1 car, 2 different names...separated by trim level and performance?

Why the need to separate the car into 2 names?

Because European car makers feel a need for a billion different models and trim levels.  I like how Benz sells two doors, convertibles and wagons....but BMW and Benz are off of the chain when it comes to the number of different models.

37 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Because European car makers feel a need for a billion different models and trim levels.  I like how Benz sells two doors, convertibles and wagons....but BMW and Benz are off of the chain when it comes to the number of different models.

It be awesome if it truly were different models...

Its more or less the same bloody model...

A 5 Series BMW is the 4 door.

A 6 Series is the coupe, is based off of the 5 Series and its platform.  Which is cool as the 6 Series looks nothing like the 5 Series...which is cool as odd numbers in the naming scheme equals 4 doors and even numbers constitute 2 doors....but, there is a 6 Series Grande Coupe which has, um, 4 doors...but that too is cool because like I said, the 6 Series looks nothing like the 5 Series, 4 doors or not...

But it would be cooler still if this pleasant anomaly would only exist at the 5/6 Series level.

The same madness happens with the 3 Series. Not cool.

M-B does the same thing, and will get nuttier still if this rumor in the article is correct.

I prefer when GM did it their way. Somehow GM's badge job engineering made more sense than the madness we are witnessing with M-B and BMW...

With GM, we often got 4-5 different names but twas 1 car...yet it seems less mad GM's way..

Image result for 1986 monte carlo ls

Image result for 1982 pontiac grand prix

Image result for oldsmobile cutlass supreme 1987

Related image

@Frisky Dingo

That 1st gen CLS is just mind blowin good.

It is also the first of a trend that even mainstream family haulin' sedans are copying,

Trendsetting awesomeness!!!

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. Lloyd-TX
      Lloyd-TX
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Back in August, we reported that Volkswagen was planning to send the Passat GT concept shown at the 2016 LA Auto Show into production. The concept was Volkswagen's attempt at making the Passat become a bit more exciting with numerous cosmetic changes, a VR6 engine, and slight tweaks to the suspension. Next week at the Detroit Auto Show, Volkswagen will show off the production model.
      The exterior of the Passat GT matches up with the concept as there are a blacked-out honeycomb grille, red accent striping, blacked-out trim, 19-inch wheels, and a black decklid spoiler. Only four colors will be available on the GT; Pure White, Reflex Silver, Platinum Grey, and Deep Black. Inside, Volkswagen has added a fair amount of piano black and carbon fiber trim; two-tone leatherette upholstery for the seats, and aluminum GT-badged sills.
      Under the hood is the venerable 3.6L VR6 producing 280 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque - the same power figures as you'll find in the Passat V6 Premium. This is paired with a six-speed DSG. The GT will also feature a sport suspension that lowers the ride height. 
      Volkswagen will begin selling the Passat GT in the second half of 2018 with a base price of $29,940 (includes an $850 destination charge).
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN UNVEILS SPORTY 2018 PASSAT GT SPECIAL MODEL AT THE NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
      GT combines the powerful VR6® engine with a lowered suspension and design enhancements to create the most aggressive looking Passat yet Limited-run model adds more than 20 sporty interior and exterior enhancements to Passat 3.6-liter VR6 engine is paired with a lowered suspension and sport exhaust Designed at Volkswagen’s Engineering and Planning Center in Chattanooga, Tenn. Pricing starts at $29,090 Detroit, Mich. – Today, Volkswagen of America, Inc., debuted the 2018 Passat GT special model at the North American International Auto Show. The production model, previewed by a concept at Automobility LA in 2016, was designed by the company’s North American engineering hub in Chattanooga, Tennessee, based on extensive feedback from U.S. customers and dealers.
      “The Passat GT illustrates how the North American Region can shape Volkswagen vehicles specifically for the U.S. market,” said Dr. Matthias Erb, Chief Engineering Officer, North American Region, Volkswagen. “Combining a local perspective with our global engineering expertise allows us to create vehicles that meet the needs and desires of customers here.”
      The Passat GT joins the Passat lineup for model year 2018 as a limited-run special model based off the R-Line® trim. It will be available in four exterior colors—Pure White, Reflex Silver, Platinum Grey, and Deep Black.
      Starting at the front, Passat GT differentiates itself from standard Passat models with standard LED headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). It borrows the R-Line® bumper and adds a honeycomb grille, GT badge, and a red accent line, reminiscent of the high-performance Golf GTI. A sport suspension gives it a more planted stance and cements the aggressive look.
      Moving around the side of the vehicle, the GT receives sporty touches from top to bottom. A black roof is complimented by black mirror caps and black window and door trim. Two-tone 19-inch “Tornado” wheels are accentuated with red-painted brake calipers, another nod to Volkswagen’s performance heritage.
      At the back, the Passat GT’s accents continue with a black spoiler and blackened LED taillights. The rear fascia also includes black bumper trim and a double exhaust with an acoustic package.
      Inside, the GT features piano black center console and vent trim, carbon fiber optic décor, black headliner, and aluminum GT-badged sills. Seating surfaces are black leatherette with Moonrock Gray inserts and contrast stitching. Standard interior comfort features include: a leather-wrapped steering wheel, 8-way power driver’s seat, heated front seats, dual-zone Climatronic® automatic climate control, and heated side mirrors.
      To keep passengers connected, the Passat GT features a Composition Media infotainment unit with 6.3-inch capacitive touchscreen display and standard Bluetooth® for compatible devices, Voice Control, and Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect technology that offers compatible smartphone integration with the three major platforms—Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™ and MirrorLink®.  GT models feature two USB ports—one in the center console and one in the rear seat console. SiriusXM® Satellite Radio is standard and includes a three-month trial.
      The new Passat GT will be powered by Volkswagen’s 3.6-liter VR6® engine, making it a true sport sedan. Producing an impressive 280 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque at 2,500 rpm with regular fuel, it offers power and luxury-class driving comfort with surprising fuel economy—EPA estimated fuel economy is 19 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. Shifting is handled by a standard six-speed DSG® automatic transmission with Tiptronic®, which features steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
      Every 2018 Passat model comes with the People First Warranty, America’s best bumper-to-bumper new vehicle limited warranty. The warranty provides coverage for six-years or 72,000-miles (whichever occurs first), and the warranty can be transferred to subsequent owners throughout the remainder of its duration.
      The 2018 Passat GT is expected to arrive at U.S. Volkswagen dealers in the second quarter of 2018. Pricing for the Passat GT starts at $29,090. The destination charge is an additional $850.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Back in August, we reported that Volkswagen was planning to send the Passat GT concept shown at the 2016 LA Auto Show into production. The concept was Volkswagen's attempt at making the Passat become a bit more exciting with numerous cosmetic changes, a VR6 engine, and slight tweaks to the suspension. Next week at the Detroit Auto Show, Volkswagen will show off the production model.
      The exterior of the Passat GT matches up with the concept as there are a blacked-out honeycomb grille, red accent striping, blacked-out trim, 19-inch wheels, and a black decklid spoiler. Only four colors will be available on the GT; Pure White, Reflex Silver, Platinum Grey, and Deep Black. Inside, Volkswagen has added a fair amount of piano black and carbon fiber trim; two-tone leatherette upholstery for the seats, and aluminum GT-badged sills.
      Under the hood is the venerable 3.6L VR6 producing 280 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque - the same power figures as you'll find in the Passat V6 Premium. This is paired with a six-speed DSG. The GT will also feature a sport suspension that lowers the ride height. 
      Volkswagen will begin selling the Passat GT in the second half of 2018 with a base price of $29,940 (includes an $850 destination charge).
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

VOLKSWAGEN UNVEILS SPORTY 2018 PASSAT GT SPECIAL MODEL AT THE NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
      GT combines the powerful VR6® engine with a lowered suspension and design enhancements to create the most aggressive looking Passat yet Limited-run model adds more than 20 sporty interior and exterior enhancements to Passat 3.6-liter VR6 engine is paired with a lowered suspension and sport exhaust Designed at Volkswagen’s Engineering and Planning Center in Chattanooga, Tenn. Pricing starts at $29,090 Detroit, Mich. – Today, Volkswagen of America, Inc., debuted the 2018 Passat GT special model at the North American International Auto Show. The production model, previewed by a concept at Automobility LA in 2016, was designed by the company’s North American engineering hub in Chattanooga, Tennessee, based on extensive feedback from U.S. customers and dealers.
      “The Passat GT illustrates how the North American Region can shape Volkswagen vehicles specifically for the U.S. market,” said Dr. Matthias Erb, Chief Engineering Officer, North American Region, Volkswagen. “Combining a local perspective with our global engineering expertise allows us to create vehicles that meet the needs and desires of customers here.”
      The Passat GT joins the Passat lineup for model year 2018 as a limited-run special model based off the R-Line® trim. It will be available in four exterior colors—Pure White, Reflex Silver, Platinum Grey, and Deep Black.
      Starting at the front, Passat GT differentiates itself from standard Passat models with standard LED headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). It borrows the R-Line® bumper and adds a honeycomb grille, GT badge, and a red accent line, reminiscent of the high-performance Golf GTI. A sport suspension gives it a more planted stance and cements the aggressive look.
      Moving around the side of the vehicle, the GT receives sporty touches from top to bottom. A black roof is complimented by black mirror caps and black window and door trim. Two-tone 19-inch “Tornado” wheels are accentuated with red-painted brake calipers, another nod to Volkswagen’s performance heritage.
      At the back, the Passat GT’s accents continue with a black spoiler and blackened LED taillights. The rear fascia also includes black bumper trim and a double exhaust with an acoustic package.
      Inside, the GT features piano black center console and vent trim, carbon fiber optic décor, black headliner, and aluminum GT-badged sills. Seating surfaces are black leatherette with Moonrock Gray inserts and contrast stitching. Standard interior comfort features include: a leather-wrapped steering wheel, 8-way power driver’s seat, heated front seats, dual-zone Climatronic® automatic climate control, and heated side mirrors.
      To keep passengers connected, the Passat GT features a Composition Media infotainment unit with 6.3-inch capacitive touchscreen display and standard Bluetooth® for compatible devices, Voice Control, and Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect technology that offers compatible smartphone integration with the three major platforms—Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™ and MirrorLink®.  GT models feature two USB ports—one in the center console and one in the rear seat console. SiriusXM® Satellite Radio is standard and includes a three-month trial.
      The new Passat GT will be powered by Volkswagen’s 3.6-liter VR6® engine, making it a true sport sedan. Producing an impressive 280 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque at 2,500 rpm with regular fuel, it offers power and luxury-class driving comfort with surprising fuel economy—EPA estimated fuel economy is 19 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. Shifting is handled by a standard six-speed DSG® automatic transmission with Tiptronic®, which features steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
      Every 2018 Passat model comes with the People First Warranty, America’s best bumper-to-bumper new vehicle limited warranty. The warranty provides coverage for six-years or 72,000-miles (whichever occurs first), and the warranty can be transferred to subsequent owners throughout the remainder of its duration.
      The 2018 Passat GT is expected to arrive at U.S. Volkswagen dealers in the second quarter of 2018. Pricing for the Passat GT starts at $29,090. The destination charge is an additional $850.
    • By William Maley
      Many of us thought that Ford's showing at the Detroit Auto Show would be the upcoming Ranger. But it seems the blue oval has other plans.
      First up, Ford is teasing a new ST model. In a video dropped on various social media outlets, the former Stig, Ben Collins is seen walking past various performance models including the GT and Raptor. He then stops at a mysterious ST model. Guesses about the new ST range from the new Focus ST to possibly a crossover - the EcoSport and Edge being prime contenders.
      But that's not all. Automotive News has learned that Ford will be debuting a new version of Mustang Bullitt. Rumors about this have been going around since last year when spy shots caught a dark green Mustang taking part in a commercial being filmed in Chicago.
      "We don’t have any Mustang news to share today but we love the interest in America’s favorite muscle car," said Ford spokesman Mike Levine when asked about the Bullitt.
      Source: Ford, Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Many of us thought that Ford's showing at the Detroit Auto Show would be the upcoming Ranger. But it seems the blue oval has other plans.
      First up, Ford is teasing a new ST model. In a video dropped on various social media outlets, the former Stig, Ben Collins is seen walking past various performance models including the GT and Raptor. He then stops at a mysterious ST model. Guesses about the new ST range from the new Focus ST to possibly a crossover - the EcoSport and Edge being prime contenders.
      But that's not all. Automotive News has learned that Ford will be debuting a new version of Mustang Bullitt. Rumors about this have been going around since last year when spy shots caught a dark green Mustang taking part in a commercial being filmed in Chicago.
      "We don’t have any Mustang news to share today but we love the interest in America’s favorite muscle car," said Ford spokesman Mike Levine when asked about the Bullitt.
      Source: Ford, Automotive News (Subscription Required)

• By William Maley
      The Cadillac XT4 is an important model for the brand as it will give them a competitor in the lucrative compact luxury crossover class. It might also give one of GM's assembly plants some much needed good news.
      Bloomberg has learned from sources that General Motors has started producing test versions of the Cadillac XT4 at their Fairfax Assembly plant in Kansas City. This possibly hints that production of the XT4 could take place here. A GM spokesman declined to comment when asked about this.
      The Fairfax plant has been hit hard by the decline in sales for midsize sedans. Home to the Chevrolet Malibu, the plant has seen the third shift cut last year as Malibu sales dropped 18 percent. 
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook