William Maley

Dodge News: Dodge Challenger Adds All-Wheel Drive for 2017

84 posts in this topic

William Maley    410

Dodge is doing something that can be considered as sacrilegious in the muscle car class. They are adding an all-wheel drive version of the Challenger to their lineup.

The 2017 Challenger GT will go on sale early next year with a base price of $34,990 (includes $1,095 destination charge). The all-wheel drive system that the Challenger will use is the same one found in the Charger AWD - power is sent to the rear wheels until slip is detected, at which point the front axle will hook up to the transfer case and get power. The bad news is that you can only get the GT with the 3.6L Pentastar V6 with 305 horsepower and 286 pound-feet of torque, and eight-speed automatic. On the plus side, the GT will come with the Super Track Pak that brings launch control, performance pages, and other items.

Not much sets the Challenger GT apart from other models in terms of the exterior. The GT comes with a new hood, LED head and taillights, decklid spoiler, and a set of 19-inch wheels wrapped in all-season tires.

Source: Dodge
Press Release is on Page 2

New 2017 Dodge Challenger GT Is World’s First and Only All-wheel-drive American Muscle Coupe

• Dodge Challenger GT Joins Charger AWD to Complete the Dodge Lineup of All-wheel-drive Muscle Cars, Delivering Unparalleled Year-round Performance
  • Segment-first: 2017 Dodge Challenger GT is the first two-door American muscle car with all-wheel drive, providing muscle car enthusiasts all-weather driving confidence exclusive to Dodge
  • Challenger GT features the same high-performance all-wheel-drive system found in the award-winning Dodge Charger AWD with active transfer case and front-axle disconnect
  • Dodge’s award-winning 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine is standard, delivering 305 horsepower at 6,350 rpm and a responsive 268 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,800 rpm
  • New 2017 Dodge Challenger GT model has a starting U.S Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $33,395 (excluding $1,095 destination charge)
  • Dodge Challenger GT AWD production is scheduled to begin in January 2017 and vehicles will be available in dealerships the first quarter of 2017

December 7, 2016 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Designed and engineered for world-class precision, the new 2017 Dodge Challenger GT all-wheel drive (AWD) delivers the performance, power and all-weather capability to carve through some of the worst weather Mother Nature can dish out.

From winding through twisty stretches of mountain roads, escaping away to a snow-covered ski resort, to daily commutes through the slush and snow of Northeastern and Midwestern winters, the Challenger GT AWD is built to handle it all.

“Dodge is shifting the muscle car paradigm with the new 2017 Dodge Challenger GT – the world’s first and only all-wheel-drive American muscle coupe,” said Tim Kuniskis, Head of Passenger Cars – Dodge, SRT, Chrysler and FIAT, FCA – North America. “The Challenger has always been the most wide-ranging and functional muscle coupe, and now, with the new 305-horsepower all-wheel-drive Challenger GT, we are stretching the functional and geographic boundaries even further.

Available this winter
The new 2017 Dodge Challenger GT AWD model has a starting U.S Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $33,395 (excluding $1,095 destination charge).

With production beginning in January, the all-wheel-drive Dodge Challenger GT is scheduled to arrive at Dodge dealerships nationwide in the first quarter of 2017.

Power, precision and prowess
The 2017 Dodge Challenger GT AWD features Dodge’s award-winning 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine, delivering 305 horsepower at 6,350 rpm and a responsive 268 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,800 rpm.

A tuned induction system and dual exhaust from the manifolds back to the tips help deliver more than 90 percent of the engine’s peak torque from 1,800 to 6,400 rpm – all for outstanding drivability and responsiveness. With the standard TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission, Challenger GT offers up to an EPA-estimated 18 city/27 hwy miles per gallon (mpg).

The Dodge Challenger GT features Dodge’s high-performance all-wheel-drive system. Also found in the Charger AWD, this technologically advanced system includes an active transfer case and front-axle disconnect for excellent all-season performance and fuel economy. The Challenger GT seamlessly transitions between rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive with no driver intervention. Under normal driving conditions, the front axle is disengaged and 100 percent of the engine’s torque is directed to the rear wheels. This preserves the outstanding fun-to-drive performance and handling characteristics inherent to rear-wheel-drive vehicles. When sensors indicate the need for additional traction, the system automatically engages the front axle, instantly transitioning Challenger GT into all-wheel-drive mode.

Enhanced with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), the Challenger GT AWD has impressive handling on all surfaces, especially snow and ice. VDC provides excellent traction on slippery surfaces and also helps the driver maintain the desired vehicle path. Enhancing the on-road dynamic performance using precise front-to-rear torque control integrated with the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system, VDC maintains Challenger’s fun-to-drive character, regardless of road conditions.

In addition, the new Dodge Challenger GT AWD features paddle shifters and Sport mode. With Sport mode active, gear changes are quicker and revs are held higher for even more performance-oriented acceleration and higher shift dynamics. For even more control, the driver can also use the die-cast steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters and view gear election through the full-color Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) centered in the instrument cluster.

The Challenger GT Super Track Pak button activates Dodge Performance Pages and launch control features embedded in the 8.4-inch touchscreen radio. Visible performance information, such as reaction times, 0-60 times, G-force indicator and lap times, can be monitored, and even mirrored, in the 7-inch thin-film transistor (TFT) customizable cluster display. The new Challenger GT model also features three-mode ESC with “full-off” mode, a fun feature for drifting through snowy scenes.

All-weather traction all year long, rain, sleet, snow or shine
For muscle car enthusiasts who want more all-weather traction, the new 2017 Dodge Challenger GT delivers premium amenities inside and out, including 19-inch aluminum wheels with Hyper Black finish and P235/55R19 BSW all-season performance tires, projector fog lamps, a deck-lid rear spoiler, ParkSense rear park assist and ParkView rear backup camera.

Challenger GT is equally well equipped on the inside with standard features, such as premium Nappa leather seating, heated and ventilated front seats with four-way power driver lumbar adjustment, heated steering wheel with power tilt and telescoping column, Uconnect 8.4-inch touchscreen display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, six Alpine speakers with 276-watt amplifier, bright pedals, universal garage door opener and Hectic Mesh aluminum bezels.

GT Interior Package
The all-new GT Interior package, which is unique to this Challenger AWD model, includes performance Nappa leather and Alcantara suede seats – available on a V-6 for the first time – nine Alpine speakers, including a subwoofer and a 506-watt amplifier, and the Dodge performance steering wheel. U.S MSRP for the GT Interior package is $995.

Performance-inspired design, all year round
1971-inspired design, both inside and out, the Dodge Challenger GT features refined exterior styling and heritage muscle-car appearance with split grille, pronounced and functional power bulge hood, LED halo headlamps and LED tail lamps.

View full article

surreal1272    772

Pair it up with a V8 and stop wasting everyone's time FCA. Good grief. They are just phoning it in if it doesn't involve a Jeep or a Fiat. Probably why they are headed to the great crapper in the sky. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

This car, with that propulsion system and at that price, just doesn't make sense to me.

Me either....

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Pair it up with a V8 and stop wasting everyone's time FCA. Good grief. They are just phoning it in if it doesn't involve a Jeep or a Fiat. Probably why they are headed to the great crapper in the sky. 

...and can't get there fast enough IMHO.  They are copying a design from 1970 for crying out loud...I was 5 years old in 1970....now several people I went to high school with are grand parents...when you rely on a design from half a century ago, your brand is dead....

surreal1272    772
3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Me either....

...and can't get there fast enough IMHO.  They are copying a design from 1970 for crying out loud...I was 5 years old in 1970....now several people I went to high school with are grand parents...when you rely on a design from half a century ago, your brand is dead....

I have no problem with the design but this is just pure neglect and half-assery by FCA. 

dfelt    1,874

AWD :yes:

V6 :nono:

AWD w/ V8 :metal:

FCA giving us quality real products the customer wants :palm:

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I have no problem with the design but this is just pure neglect and half-assery by FCA. 

I have no problem with the design per se, but when the main car they are relying on is a copy of a half century old design, and they go half way on the power train, that to me really shows they don't care much.

Show me that you care and then maybe I will be willing to drop coin on product....

Stew    354

Boo on leaving the 5.7 out of the equation.  That said, i could see myself getting a used one as a dail driver in a few years time.  I am really starting to wonder if the reason the Hemi AWDs died was actually sales or something else, like the Hemi and 8 speed being too large to fit the current AWD system, at least without making i look like a 4x4?  Heck, let's just jack the MFer up, give it underbody armor and some nice fat all terrain tires, give the the Hemi and sale them like hotcakes in the northern region.  I mean wtf not!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

Stew    354

Honestly though, if they had put the 5.7 in, people would bitch it isn't the 6.4.  if they put the 6.4 in people would bitch because they didn't use the hellcat.  it is kind of like them killing car models to concentrate on the much higher demand SUVs and people bitch.  Ford says they are going to do it and they get praise.  They could replace every model tomorrow with brand new ones all on new platforms and people would bitch.  just saying.......

hyperv6    774

Here is another example of where they need to put the money into making a new car on a new platform.

This is an old over weight Chrysler based on an Older over weight Benz E class from around the early 1990's.

It has gotten to the point that even the media does not even use this car in comparisons with the Mustang and Camaro.

Now they are pushing this back to 2021 so I get the feeling we may be seeing the last of the cars from Chrysler.  Sergio has raped and pillaged Chrysler Jeep to the point that they receive little in return.

Yet they have a new Alfa that will under perform in sales and never really be a challenger to the Germans outside being a car for those who want something different and like to spend time a the dealer waiting rooms.

I really wonder how long the Dodge engineers will hang around as they try so hard but get so little support.

Stew    354
2 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

Here is another example of where they need to put the money into making a new car on a new platform.

This is an old over weight Chrysler based on an Older over weight Benz E class from around the early 1990's.

It has gotten to the point that even the media does not even use this car in comparisons with the Mustang and Camaro.

Now they are pushing this back to 2021 so I get the feeling we may be seeing the last of the cars from Chrysler.  Sergio has raped and pillaged Chrysler Jeep to the point that they receive little in return.

Yet they have a new Alfa that will under perform in sales and never really be a challenger to the Germans outside being a car for those who want something different and like to spend time a the dealer waiting rooms.

I really wonder how long the Dodge engineers will hang around as they try so hard but get so little support.

Please show me any proof of this.  We actually knew for a very long time it would be 2021 before the LX replacements appeared.  Also, VERY little of LX was based on the old Benz platform and at this point EVERY single E-class part has been replaced and it now shares nothing with that old platform.  Also, for the size the weight is average, they really need Aluminum blocks on their Hemis to cut weight from he nose.  In this climate and with what is selling it makes MUCH more sense to concentrate on trucks and SUVs unless you are Toyota or Honda, that is just how it is right now and you act as if they are the only ones doign this when that isn't remotely the truth.

surreal1272    772
24 minutes ago, Stew said:

Honestly though, if they had put the 5.7 in, people would bitch it isn't the 6.4.  if they put the 6.4 in people would bitch because they didn't use the hellcat.  it is kind of like them killing car models to concentrate on the much higher demand SUVs and people bitch.  Ford says they are going to do it and they get praise.  They could replace every model tomorrow with brand new ones all on new platforms and people would bitch.  just saying.......

I see what you're saying but being in any variation of a V8 is a no brainer to me. 

Stew    354
3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I see what you're saying but being in any variation of a V8 is a no brainer to me. 

Me too, but you know what I say is correct.  If they decide to counter with an AWD Camaro it will simply use ATS hardware which means turbo 4 or V6 and this wouldn't surprise me at all.  I bet they would get praised for it. 

surreal1272    772
19 minutes ago, Stew said:

Please show me any proof of this.  We actually knew for a very long time it would be 2021 before the LX replacements appeared.  Also, VERY little of LX was based on the old Benz platform and at this point EVERY single E-class part has been replaced and it now shares nothing with that old platform.  Also, for the size the weight is average, they really need Aluminum blocks on their Hemis to cut weight from he nose.  In this climate and with what is selling it makes MUCH more sense to concentrate on trucks and SUVs unless you are Toyota or Honda, that is just how it is right now and you act as if they are the only ones doign this when that isn't remotely the truth.

Actually the LX replacements were pushed back several times before the 2021 date was set. Either way it is long overdue. I love the Challenger but it is long past time to move it into a more modern platform. 

Stew    354
Just now, surreal1272 said:

Actually the LX replacements were pushed back several times before the 2021 date was set. Either way it is long overdue. I love the Challenger but it is long past time to move it into a more modern platform. 

I do agree there, but compared to say, the Taurus, explorer, flex, etc it isn't that old of a platform as all of those ARE on a platform from the 90s.  I am not saying I agree with the neglect, but you can't judge them harshly for a thin and then praise another fordoing the same thing.  The whole industry is heading in the direction .of concentrating on trucks and SUVs while leaving the cars alone for longer.  These are still businesses so they are still going to flow to where the profit is. 

Frisky Dingo    635

I can't help but wonder who the target buyer for this is??

Who is demanding a huge, 2 door, auto-only AWD V6 sled priced in the mid-upper 30's?? What is the point of the car?? A Golf R, WRX/STI, or Focus RS all kill this car for similar or less money. And off a ton more practicality to boot.

In other words, AWD widebody Hellcat or bust. :nono:

ccap41    1,236
13 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I can't help but wonder who the target buyer for this is??

Who is demanding a huge, 2 door, auto-only AWD V6 sled priced in the mid-upper 30's?? What is the point of the car?? A Golf R, WRX/STI, or Focus RS all kill this car for similar or less money. And off a ton more practicality to boot.

In other words, AWD widebody Hellcat or bust. :nono:

EXACTLY!

There are so many other vehicle out there for similar money(higher and lower) that do the job of this so much better. It isn't like this 3.6 is going to win many drag races matched to a 4500lb sled. realistically(and sadly) my 2.0T Escape probably won't be far behind this in a race. and it does all of the other things this is supposed to do...better.. AWD/4WD Jeep Cherokee 3.6 is in the same ballpark.

hyperv6    774
2 hours ago, Stew said:

The media reported a while back that it was 2018 and then later it was pushed to 2021 Do a search on Autoblog or any of the other sites that reported it. It was well reported. 

The cars platform was based on the Benz platform and that is part of the weight issue. The car just as a Chrysler is two generations older than Ford and Chevy. 

For Chrysler to survive as a automaker they will need to have smaller cars be it of their own or with a partner. The market watchers have pointed that out clearly. Selling smaller cars to meet regulation in fuel economy is a must. They for sure are not doing it with Fiat as it is. 

Second the only small efficient crossovers they have are at Jeep. Ram is in need of a new truck soon too as Ford is ahead a gen and Chevy will have a new one in about a year and a half. It is a very competitive market. 

For someone who like Chrysler you appear much in denial and it is to their detriment. I am not a Chrysler fan but I for sure do not want to lose another American brand as we have lost too many. 

It was also made clear that there has been some consideration that they may kill the V8 also. Not sure how serious that is but Ford is nearly there now so it is a possibility. 

The real shame is they have some very talented engineers there as we have seen what they have done with the old outdated products. Imagine what they could do with a clean sheet of paper. If I were Sergio I would take all that wasted Alfa money and pump it into Chrysler and tell them to do what they do best. 

Where is this wrong. To defend what is going on is Nuts. In fact if this were GM I would as a GM fan be so very pissed off as I have been in the past when they have failed to do what was right. 

Even their trucks and SUV models need more work soon as they are getting old and not market leading. Not bad but not the best in segment other than the mini van that is dying like the Coupe. 

Let put it this way the LX is selling at low prices and high discounts. This is a segment where they could be making a good ATP on a modest amount of models but the powers to be in Italy don't care. 

The sooner you get rid of Sergio the better chance they have to pull it out. 

The real question is who will partner with Chrysler or who will buy Jeep and Ram from them when they fail. Fiat is hemorrhaging more money than Jeep and Ram can support. 

Stew    354
16 hours ago, ccap41 said:

EXACTLY!

There are so many other vehicle out there for similar money(higher and lower) that do the job of this so much better. It isn't like this 3.6 is going to win many drag races matched to a 4500lb sled. realistically(and sadly) my 2.0T Escape probably won't be far behind this in a race. and it does all of the other things this is supposed to do...better.. AWD/4WD Jeep Cherokee 3.6 is in the same ballpark.

Simple, someone looking for all-weather capability in a pretty package.  I doubt they are expecting high sales, but this is a no-brainer as there is basically no real work or certification needed to make his happen as everything is just being carried over from the Charger.  This actually should have been done years ago (like when they were still making Hemi AWDs. 

• Upvote 1

ccap41    1,236

It just doesn't make any sense at all to me. Buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Charger/300, Ford Edge, the new Equinox and Traverse do everything better... You can get a 4X4 Cherokee Laredo E(Not sure what the "E" is for but it's a step up from the Laredo by $2,000) for less money than this Challenger.

surreal1272    772
20 hours ago, Stew said:

Me too, but you know what I say is correct.  If they decide to counter with an AWD Camaro it will simply use ATS hardware which means turbo 4 or V6 and this wouldn't surprise me at all.  I bet they would get praised for it. 

In fairness though, the Camaro would get a pass but it's because it's much lighter than the Challenger and the addition of AWD would not hurt it that much. A V6 Challenger is just too heavy to justify the addition of AWD. That is the biggest problem with it. Just my opinion though. 

ccap41    1,236

GM would also put a proper "athletic" AWD system in the Camaro that would likely be capable of SS duties as well. Not just whatever is on the shelf(okay maybe they would because of the ATS/CTS).

Wings4Life(BANNED)    1,000,000
19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It just doesn't make any sense at all to me. Buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Charger/300, Ford Edge, the new Equinox and Traverse do everything better... You can get a 4X4 Cherokee Laredo E(Not sure what the "E" is for but it's a step up from the Laredo by $2,000) for less money than this Challenger.

No need to go to extremes. Many people love the style of the challenger, performance with V6 is more than adequate, would never own an SUV and don’t want 4 doors – yet live in a Northern climate and can’t justify a RWD coupe anything.  Until now.  And let’s face it, nobody will notice the added weight, because nobody will be cutting apexes with one.  But they will certainly notice AWD.

Edited by Wings4Life

ccap41    1,236
3 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

No need to go to extremes. Many people love the style of the challenger, performance with V6 is more than adequate, would never own an SUV and don’t want 4 doors – yet live in a Northern climate and can’t justify a RWD coupe anything.  Until now.  And let’s face it, nobody will notice the added weight, because nobody will be cutting apexes with one.  But they will certainly notice AWD.

So you narrowed the population down to like 5 people.

1: You and everybody in the US knows it is a SUV/CUV craze happening, not coupes

2: Add an AWD system to an already bloated car and performance is..like the Cherokee

3: How many people "won't own a vehicle w/ 4 doors"? Again, almost none. This is supported by the SUV/CUV sales and car sales being down.

4: Narrow that field down to the northern third of the US and you have 5 people who will buy these. :w00t: