VW News: Rumorpile: Volkswagen T-Roc Crossover to Head to U.S.

Last week, we reported on comments made by Volkswagen NA CEO Hinrich Woebcken on wanting to expand the number of crossovers in their lineup. It seems there is another crossover possible destined for the U.S.

According to a source, Volkswagen is planning to launch the T-Roc compact crossover for the U.S. beginning in 2019. First shown as a concept back at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show, the production model will launch this summer in Europe. The decision was made by Volkswagen once dealers in the U.S. gave a firm commitment to the company they would be able to sell enough T-Rocs to make a profit. It also appears this decision was made only last week judging from a comment made by VW brand chief Herbert Diess.

"It was only yesterday that we decided on an additional SUV for 2019," Diess told reporters when asked about product strategy for the U.S.

There are still a number of items up in the air, however. For one, Volkswagen needs to decide where it will build the T-Roc. It could import the model from Volkswagen's Portugal plant, build it in Puebla, Mexico, or have it in the same assembly plant as the Atlas in Chattanooga, TN.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
Pic Credit: Newspress

View full article

3 hours ago, Stew said:

It is interesting, but I am not sure of the demand for convertible crossovers in the US. 

I'd think a production version would be a conventional 5dr crossover...baby brother to Tiguan.  I like the looks of the concept, a 2dr ht targa..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

WOW, Only took them 3 years to decide to do it and another 2 years to actually get it to production. So 5 year old CUV when it becomes released in the US. 

Nothing like Stale Bread and Turned Wine! :spit:

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'd think a production version would be a conventional 5dr crossover...baby brother to Tiguan.  I like the looks of the concept, a 2dr ht targa..

kind of reminds me of the old Suzuki, what was it, X90?

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

Ya nailed it on the head. Knew I had seen this shape before and could not remember where.

1990 Suzuki X90

1996-suzuki-x-90-photo-356944-s-1280x782.jpg

Guess everything old is new again! :lol:

Just now, dfelt said:

Ya nailed it on the head. Knew I had seen this shape before and could not remember where.

1990 Suzuki X90

1996-suzuki-x-90-photo-356944-s-1280x782.jpg

That's it!  There are still a few of those running around here I see every now and then.  I actually kind of like those. 

11 minutes ago, Stew said:

Yeah, similar concept but looking bigger and sleeker...the X90 was a stubby little car.  I had a manager years ago that drove a red one. 

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, similar concept but looking bigger and sleeker...the X90 was a stubby little car.  I had a manager years ago that drove a red one. 

True.  thinking of it, I could see some limited appeal and a niche maket.  I wouldn't mind one if it had the 2.0T and some at least minor off-roadability. 

Just now, Stew said:

True.  thinking of it, I could see some limited appeal and a niche maket.  I wouldn't mind one if it had the 2.0T and some at least minor off-roadability. 

One with the Golf R drivetrain would be interesting... 

14 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Ah, so VW is going to be making Trax to the US.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ah, so VW is going to be making Trax to the US.

I suspect that is what it's going to be...the 2dr ht targa was fun for a show car, but I suspect the production version would be more practical...

55 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I suspect that is what it's going to be...the 2dr ht targa was fun for a show car, but I suspect the production version would be more practical...

You are probably right, but I wish manufacturers would actually take chances on things like this. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Another vehicle the T-Roc reminds me of is the Audi Steppenwolf concept from 2000..that was very cool, IMO.  Was a 2dr ht SUV w/ a targa top also. 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fe/6b/78/fe6b78011bba01276aa8647236fc481e.jpg

That makes me think of the Ralley Fighter!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_skwudK_SgM/maxresdefault.jpg

• Agree 1