A "Would You Rather" Thread - Grosse Pointe Blanke Edition

As you folk have realized by now, I like observing vehicles and pairing them up and asking our little community here which of the two they prefer to own.

Anecdotes and opinions of which vehicle is preferred or disliked over the other is ALWAYS welcomed and ENCOURAGED!

During my absence a couple of months ago for a few weeks, I saw several interesting movies with interesting cars...this week's comparison comes from the movie Grosse Pointe Blank.

The two cars in question:

1995 Lincoln Town Car

i015842.jpgzltc1.jpg

And a 1998 BMW 735iL

i015837.jpgzbmw735il2.jpg

While the movie does not really focus on the two cars, the two cars in question do have important symbolism roles...

Anyway....which of the two do you prefer to putz around in as a daily driver representing your profession and status in your city?

Lincoln Town Car for me as well.

I aint no Euro-trash/snob douchebag. (A little harsh...but I said it for effect!)

I always equated millionaire with the Lincoln Town Car....blame the pinball game I played as a kid!

2.JPG

THAT IS A TOWN CAR Limo I ALWAYS LOVED!

American Cars! American Luxury! FTR! (Phoque The Rest)

@Cubical-aka-Moltar

I remember closing up my restaurant one Sunday night and having nothing to do that night, going to a video store right after and renting this movie RELUCTANTLY when this movie first came out on VHS to rent as there was nothing else available...

Boy..was I pleasantly surprised...WHAT A GREAT AND UNDER RATED MOVIE THIS STILL IS!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Lincoln hands down...I had a neighbor who had a BMW of that era...it was a nightmare in maintenance.  I could probably charter a private jet on a regular basis on what that BMW cost to maintain.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Lincoln hands down...I had a neighbor who had a BMW of that era...it was a nightmare in maintenance.  I could probably charter a private jet on a regular basis on what that BMW cost to maintain.

My '96 M3 wasn't that bad to maintain, but a 7 series is a whole other world of complex....my brother bought a low mileage '00 740iL a couple years ago, looks just like the car in The Transporter movie.   I don't think he realizes yet how expensive they are to maintain (he's a life long Chevy/Pontiac/Ford/Mercury guy).  After my experience w/ sister's old Mercedes-Benzes and the Cadillac DTS, I have no interest in maintaining older luxury cars.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My '96 M3 wasn't that bad to maintain, but a 7 series is a whole other world of complex....my brother bought a low mileage '00 740iL a couple years ago, looks just like the car in The Transporter movie.   I don't think he realizes yet how expensive they are to maintain (he's a life long Chevy/Pontiac/Ford/Mercury guy).  After my experience w/ sister's old Mercedes-Benzes and the Cadillac DTS, I have no interest in maintaining older luxury cars.  

Your 96 M3 is the sort of thing BMW should be building now, but the world sadly seems to have moved on from building drivers cars.

• Agree 2

The world is into smart phones that have apps...the world is into eating garbage in your car (lattes and the like), the world is into texting and being online rather than....driving.

The world has moved into a place where rather than turn their head to check their blind spot, they prefer a beep beep sound to tell them someone is there....or to have a back-up camera on a compact car that is as of 2017 or 2018, standard equipment MANDATED by law...(not all cars have a cocoon like interior like the Camaro does)

Its the continual dummying down of a driver or even as a human being that propels the preference of an individual to have less and less responsibility...

It used to be a joy to drive and people WANTED to look over their shoulder to check their blind spot. People WANTED to shift their own gears (although that part of spirited driving was the first to go as SOON as the first automatics appeared on the scene in the 1940s), people WANTED to....simply drive....

Now it has become a chore.

Traffic congestion is also a HUGE factor in which enjoyment of a driver's car is IMPOSSIBLE to experience when there are NO roads free of traffic in a daily driven endeavor...

Yeah....that M3 is about the last generation (or 2nd to last) of the M3s that is iconic of what 3 Series BMWs do...

OK...today's M2 and M235i and the 2 Series in general has got BMW going back to its roots.

But Im willing to bet that any of the lowest selling crossovers they sell still beats the 2 Series in sales...

@oldshurst442 Totally agree that so many have missed out on a classic movie that was awesome then and still now. I have it on DVD in my collection.

Lincoln, no if's, and's, or butt's about it! :P 

23 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yeah....that M3 is about the last generation (or 2nd to last) of the M3s that is iconic of what 3 Series BMWs do...

OK...today's M2 and M235i and the 2 Series in general has got BMW going back to its roots.

But Im willing to bet that any of the lowest selling crossovers they sell still beats the 2 Series in sales...

Exactly...the 2 series is a decent car, not still what I would choose in the segment.

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@oldshurst442 Totally agree that so many have missed out on a classic movie that was awesome then and still now. I have it on DVD in my collection.

Lincoln, no if's, and's, or butt's about it! :P 

If cars could talk, I wonder what it would say in your garage to its cross town rival, the Escalade?

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If cars could talk, I wonder what it would say in your garage to its cross town rival, the Escalade?

Easy, It would say about time you manned up and started to build a better Luxury SUV! :P 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Easy, It would say about time you manned up and started to build a better Luxury SUV! :P 

I am so down with that answer....I would choose an Escalade over a Navi any day of the week...

• Agree 1

I would need to do some 'work' on the Lincoln, but it is the easy choice here.  There is so much to be done to the engine (and a lot of parts availability to do it with).  Maybe a modern air suspension and some better front seats...?  But other than that, the Town Car is spot on and as (or more) reliable as anything else of that era.

If the choice were between that TC and a mid-80's 7 Series?  I would easily choose the 7 Series then....  Much simpler and very classy vehicle were those 7 Series', and they drove so well!

And I really like threads like these, so kudos olds....

On another forum, I used to put up a 'poll' to choose between the same model of car, but different generations.

However, this was an especially good one as I too have always liked that movie... and had thought something similar as I have watched it each time.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, lengnert said:

I would need to do some 'work' on the Lincoln, but it is the easy choice here.  There is so much to be done to the engine (and a lot of parts availability to do it with).  Maybe a modern air suspension and some better front seats...?  But other than that, the Town Car is spot on and as (or more) reliable as anything else of that era.

If the choice were between that TC and a mid-80's 7 Series?  I would easily choose the 7 Series then....  Much simpler and very classy vehicle were those 7 Series', and they drove so well!

And I really like threads like these, so kudos olds....

On another forum, I used to put up a 'poll' to choose between the same model of car, but different generations.

However, this was an especially good one as I too have always liked that movie... and had thought something similar as I have watched it each time.

Thanx,

And there is a poll feature in these forums too if you like to do something similar.

I got more pairings in my mind, so Ill be doing them..just slowly as I dont want to over saturate...

But, please, by all means, give us some threads like these too.

I LOVE this kinda stuff as well. The more fun things to talk about, the better!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I was never a fan of the 7 Series. Any generation.

Only the Bangle Butt 1st year gets a slight pass from me.

2002_bmw_7-series_sedan_745li_fq_oem_1_5

On second thought..NO THANX!

LOL, in my opinion BMW is just beginning to recover from the Bangle years...

• Agree 2

When the Bangle Butt 7Series first came out I was all over it. Drooling!

My partner's brother bought one a year after they came out. It was a used one. The previous owner got tired of having it always in the shop for computer gremlins.

This is where my partner's brother comes in. He saw it at the dealership at an incredible price (85 000 CDN). It only had 20 000-25000 KM on it. It was a 740il at a time when these were going 110 000-120 000 CDN new.  The dealer was up front about it saying this particular car had its computer replaced but the previous owner was fed up of it.

Needless to say, it served him quite good as he still has it!!! Its a beater nowadays, but its still running!

Over the years though, like everyone else...I ended up not liking the Bangle Butt...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...