VW News: Volkswagen Passat GT To Become Reality

The Volkswagen Passat isn't the most exciting sedan to look at. But the German automaker injected some style and sport with the Passat GT Concept at last year's LA Auto Show. It took some design ideas from the Golf GTI -  black grille with red accent lines and a more aggressive body kit - along with new wheels. Volkswagen also lowered the suspension and added a sport exhaust system. Volkswagen didn't go crazy with the engine - it is the same 3.6L VR6 found in the standard Passat.

According to a new report from Digital Trends, Volkswagen is bringing the Passat GT into production. A spokesperson tells the outlet the production GT will closely resemble the 2016 concept. This will likely mean it will also come with the sports tuned suspension and VR6 engine. 

No timeframe was given as to when Volkswagen will show off the Passat GT.

Source: Digital Trends

View full article

I know some VW fans will glow over this auto, but really, this is what VW considers sporty?

vw-passat-gt-concept-2-640x0.jpg

Red lines are butt ugly, should have just left the grill all black. Where is the body sports kit? This really looks bland!

Just now, dfelt said:

I know some VW fans will glow over this auto, but really, this is what VW considers sporty?

vw-passat-gt-concept-2-640x0.jpg

Red lines are butt ugly, should have just left the grill all black. Where is the body sports kit? This really looks bland!

Yes. Yes.  You are right. The red line should travel around the body and there should be tons of plastic body cladding and aggressive body skirts all around.

25930014_large.jpg

maybe even non-functional hood vents.

GM-Futur-Classics-7.jpg?t=7f85205d86876e

a double exhaust with four ports but in reality its only a single exhaust.

1994-Pontiac-Grand-AM-GT-rear.JPG

Let us not forget the euro style irrelevant fog lamps because THAT is what defines sports...

1993_pontiac_grand-am_sedan_gt_fq_oem_1_

Im just teasing.

I really miss Pontiac style boy racer styling. I LOVED IT. STILL DO!

And I do too, think this Passant is BOH-RING!!!

• Agree 1

It's subtle in typical VW style.  It's for adult buyers, not the obnoxious styling of a Civic Type R that's targeting kiddies.   Body kits belong to the 80s-90s, that cheese would be out of place today, IMO...

39 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yes. Yes.  You are right. The red line should travel around the body and there should be tons of plastic body cladding and aggressive body skirts all around.

25930014_large.jpg

Let us not forget the euro style irrelevant fog lamps because THAT is what defines sports...

Im just teasing.

Love your post and would give you the laughing smiley too if I could. :roflmao::metal: 

Pontiac should have been GM EV platform back in the days, now I just hope GM does not let the VOLT / BOLT technology rot on the vine and everyone else pass them up.

I've known this was coming for some time. Our VW rep confirmed it a few months back as a send off for this gen. The wheels be different, otherwise, it will look pretty much like this.

The red stripe and the bumper design are to fit with the GTI's trademark red grille treatment. The Passat already has some of the better driving dynamics in it's class, and turned up with new springs and whatnot, this should be quite the entertaining drive. Especially since the VR6 and DSG combo are quite killer in a straight line.

I'll take this over a V6 Accord or Fusion Sport hands down.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, frogger said:

More interested in whether/when a next gen Passat is arriving and if it will be on MQB.

The current European Passat is on MQB.   I assume the US model will stay on NMS for cost reasons...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

13 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The current European Passat is on MQB.   I assume the US model will stay on NMS for cost reasons...

I'm hoping it goes MQB especially with the Jetta reportedly going that route.  That would make all of their cars here MQB if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2018-volkswagen-jetta-snapped-without-camo-moves-to-mqb-platform-119633.html#

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, frogger said:

I'm hoping it goes MQB especially with the Jetta reportedly going that route.  That would make all of their cars here MQB if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2018-volkswagen-jetta-snapped-without-camo-moves-to-mqb-platform-119633.html#

Have to laugh at this only because of the story link, Thank you for posting and how the writer says the new auto has such an edgy design. Clearly they need to get out more and visit other auto makers as VW is anything but Edgy. :roflmao: 

I do agree all VW should be on their MQB platform and that includes their upcoming EV's.

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Have to laugh at this only because of the story link, Thank you for posting and how the writer says the new auto has such an edgy design. Clearly they need to get out more and visit other auto makers as VW is anything but Edgy. :roflmao: 

I do agree all VW should be on their MQB platform and that includes their upcoming EV's.

VW's pure-EV platform is apparently ready..  The I.D. Buzz could shape up to be an awesome road trip  vehicle.

http://insideevs.com/development-complete-volkswagens-dedicated-meb-electric-car-platform-first-meb-ev-coming-2020/

4 hours ago, frogger said:

New Passat will be 2019 MY and will be MQB.

4 hours ago, frogger said:

VW's pure-EV platform is apparently ready..  The I.D. Buzz could shape up to be an awesome road trip  vehicle.

http://insideevs.com/development-complete-volkswagens-dedicated-meb-electric-car-platform-first-meb-ev-coming-2020/

Cool, thanks for posting, I missed this. I really hope the also do an EV Pickup Truck. I see big potential in the inner cities and with city gov's for an EV Pickup.

22 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Cool, thanks for posting, I missed this. I really hope the also do an EV Pickup Truck. I see big potential in the inner cities and with city gov's for an EV Pickup.

I remember the Ford Ranger EVs about 15 years ago or so...City of Scottsdale had a few in use for various purposes, saw one still in use back around 2010.  Definitely seems like a market would be there for EV pickups and vans for municipal use. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Stew said:

I like the style.  Very mature, but with just enough edge.  I do wish they could have done some minor work to bring the HP at least to an even 300. 

Was thinking the same thing. Maybe I'm just getting old, who knows....

Better than wings and goofy looks....thinking they should have done something more with the interior too.

On 8/9/2017 at 8:52 AM, oldshurst442 said:

25930014_large.jpg

Im just teasing.

I MISS IT TOO!!!!!!

• Agree 1