NAFTA

The latest rounds of the renegotiation talks have started, and they have an emphasis on U.S. demanding new content rules.

Just to summarize, the U.S. wants more domestic content, which means NAFTA region countries, and 50% mandatory U.S. content, just to name a few of the changes.

This hopefully isn't too political of an issue, it's more to do with how you feel about the rules should be for automakers and their suppliers doing business in America, Canada and Mexico.

I think the U.S. demands - on paper, atleast are fair. U.S. is the largest market for autos in NAFTA region. I want to hear more of just how you feel about this issue. Feel free to source links where more of your opinions can be expanded and read more about. 

I say...we force them Americans to give back the Colorado Avalanche and the Washington Nationals to return them to their rightful cities where they truly belong...Quebec City and Montreal respectively!

As the rest of NAFTA...well...Boeing could kiss my ass...the rest of our trading together...I hopes to hell we figure it out as Canada-USA-Mexico as partners could really dominate we if get our shyte together!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-13/u-s-is-said-to-demand-america-specific-auto-content-in-nafta

Brett House, deputy chief economist at Bank of Nova Scotia in Toronto, said the rules of origin proposal would be a “potentially Pyrrhic victory” for Trump because automakers would just pay the U.S.’s 2.5 percent tariff to import cars into the country rather than deal with the complicated set of rules for Nafta.

If it were to come into force, “what you would likely see is a lot of production being shifted either offshore or to Mexico rather than creating more jobs in the United States,” House said. “You wouldn’t see a big increase in U.S. employment and production.”

Charles Chesbrough, a senior economist at Cox Automotive, called the U.S. rules-of-origin proposals an opening salvo that could change before an agreement is reached.

“If they do hold, they would be tough to meet, especially with all the high-tech components currently made in Asia, and would certainly require a reshuffling of the current supply base,” Chesbrough said. “The worst situation would be withdrawing from Nafta altogether -- something no one wants.”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I say...we force them Americans to give back the Colorado Avalanche and the Washington Nationals to return them to their rightful cities where they truly belong...Quebec City and Montreal respectively!

As the rest of NAFTA...well...Boeing could kiss my ass...the rest of our trading together...I hopes to hell we figure it out as Canada-USA-Mexico as partners could really dominate we if get our shyte together!

You can have all the hockey stuff, do not care, love to ski and be on the snow more than sitting on my but watching a bunch of overgrown kids fight. Then again, blood spilling, :scratchchin: :P 

In regards to NAFTA, I have always thought 50, 25, 25 was a balance component amount due to market size.

I really hope they do not mess it up too much as I can see an adjustment on the component amount but otherwise it has worked just fine as is.

23 minutes ago, dfelt said:

You can have all the hockey stuff, do not care, love to ski and be on the snow more than sitting on my but watching a bunch of overgrown kids fight. Then again, blood spilling, :scratchchin: :P 

In regards to NAFTA, I have always thought 50, 25, 25 was a balance component amount due to market size.

I really hope they do not mess it up too much as I can see an adjustment on the component amount but otherwise it has worked just fine as is.

And baseball..

I want my Expos back. Especially when the Nationals choked again.

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

And baseball..

I want my Expos back. Especially when the Nationals choked again.

You can have all the pro sports teams you want from us. I hate em all, no use for these over paid cry babies and their overblown owners who think the tax payers should build the palaces for their over paid jocks to play in when they can afford it themselves.

I will never support the pro sports till the owners give back the money that should go to the local schools.

Example, Hate the Seahawks of Seattle WA as Paul Allen the billionaire with 18 billion of net worth should have never gotten the 450 million that paid for the sport arena and then the idiots on the city council said he had to collect sales tax, but could keep it rather than going into supporting the city and the tax payers would cover the 28 million a year in maintenance and janitorial costs.

Why does a Billionaire need everything free?

Hate em all, worthless and brings no value to the city.

Back on NAFTA, to compete against the European Union and the Asian contingent, we need NAFTA. We had a chance to expand NAFTA to include Asia and have a better trade zone, but no, idiots are in charge that are clueless to global trade.

Hopefully we can keep the flow of goods over and back across Canada, US and Mexico going till we can elect a better person to lead this great country.

I warn to the north and south, Potus45 might just get crazy and try to invade to expand the US. :nono:

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I am quite frankly so disgusted with the country that I no longer fly on Boeing products.

48 minutes ago, dfelt said:

You can have all the pro sports teams you want from us. I hate em all, no use for these over paid cry babies and their overblown owners who think the tax payers should build the palaces for their over paid jocks to play in when they can afford it themselves.

I will never support the pro sports till the owners give back the money that should go to the local schools.

Example, Hate the Seahawks of Seattle WA as Paul Allen the billionaire with 18 billion of net worth should have never gotten the 450 million that paid for the sport arena and then the idiots on the city council said he had to collect sales tax, but could keep it rather than going into supporting the city and the tax payers would cover the 28 million a year in maintenance and janitorial costs.

Why does a Billionaire need everything free?

Hate em all, worthless and brings no value to the city.

Back on NAFTA, to compete against the European Union and the Asian contingent, we need NAFTA. We had a chance to expand NAFTA to include Asia and have a better trade zone, but no, idiots are in charge that are clueless to global trade.

Hopefully we can keep the flow of goods over and back across Canada, US and Mexico going till we can elect a better person to lead this great country.

I warn to the north and south, Potus45 might just get crazy and try to invade to expand the US. :nono:

Aside from the occasional hockey game I agree completely.

3 hours ago, frogger said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-13/u-s-is-said-to-demand-america-specific-auto-content-in-nafta

Brett House, deputy chief economist at Bank of Nova Scotia in Toronto, said the rules of origin proposal would be a “potentially Pyrrhic victory” for Trump because automakers would just pay the U.S.’s 2.5 percent tariff to import cars into the country rather than deal with the complicated set of rules for Nafta.

If it were to come into force, “what you would likely see is a lot of production being shifted either offshore or to Mexico rather than creating more jobs in the United States,” House said. “You wouldn’t see a big increase in U.S. employment and production.”

Charles Chesbrough, a senior economist at Cox Automotive, called the U.S. rules-of-origin proposals an opening salvo that could change before an agreement is reached.

“If they do hold, they would be tough to meet, especially with all the high-tech components currently made in Asia, and would certainly require a reshuffling of the current supply base,” Chesbrough said. “The worst situation would be withdrawing from Nafta altogether -- something no one wants.”

We gave up the required skill set a long time ago.  Most of the people who actually know how to do this crap speak Mandrin.

4 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

NAFTA

The latest rounds of the renegotiation talks have started, and they have an emphasis on U.S. demanding new content rules.

Just to summarize, the U.S. wants more domestic content, which means NAFTA region countries, and 50% mandatory U.S. content, just to name a few of the changes.

This hopefully isn't too political of an issue, it's more to do with how you feel about the rules should be for automakers and their suppliers doing business in America, Canada and Mexico.

I think the U.S. demands - on paper, atleast are fair. U.S. is the largest market for autos in NAFTA region. I want to hear more of just how you feel about this issue. Feel free to source links where more of your opinions can be expanded and read more about. 

Right, because forcing people to buy American products and shoving them down my throat will work so well.  This is just pushing consumers like me further away.

And no, I do not think the American demands are fair at all in the least.

America due to Education has moved to an Educated Engineering and creation workforce with service replacing manufacturing.

Lowest cost has always been 3rd world order and Idiot Potus knows this as his daughters product line uses cheaply paid labor to copy others products and sell as her own.

This is just a look over here as I abuse the system for my own gain on the other side.

Nafta should be expanded as other very smart men were trying to do before Idiot took over and banged his drum on American content that will never truly happen.

45 minutes ago, dfelt said:

America due to Education has moved to an Educated Engineering and creation workforce with service replacing manufacturing.

Lowest cost has always been 3rd world order and Idiot Potus knows this as his daughters product line uses cheaply paid labor to copy others products and sell as her own.

This is just a look over here as I abuse the system for my own gain on the other side.

Nafta should be expanded as other very smart men were trying to do before Idiot took over and banged his drum on American content that will never truly happen.

Ohhhhhhhhh it can happen. Never underestimate the stupidity or corruption of any administration elected by the American people regardless of party.  I could see Dems crossing party lines on this easily.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FAPTurbo said:

if it's scrapped, murrica should call the new one the Fair American Protective Trade Agreement or FAPTA

Maybe they should call it

FINIT - Fucking Idiot Narrow Ignoramus Thinking

Had a few good bottles of Malbec tonight after a long 6 day week of 16hr days. Nice to unwind and not think about all the bloody morons in gov that should just die.

Time for a new world order of sanity.

• Haha 1

Spending quality time In my workshop myself.

Almost everything in there is American made but I don't want to be told  I have to buy American products.  We're they to mandate legally that I had to buy American tools, I would find a way to buy Asian and European machines out of spite.

• Agree 1