Cadillac News: Cadillac Finally Confirms ATS Sedan is Done For 2019 Model Year

Back in December, we reported that the Cadillac ATS sedan would be no more for the 2019 model year via a General Motors VIN Decoder document. Only the coupe would stick around. Cadillac declined to comment at the time.

Yesterday, new evidence to the sedan's departure came to light via GM's fleet order guide.

The Truth About Cars tried to get a comment from Cadillac about this new information, but wasn't able to. That changed this morning.

“This year will bring forth significant changes to our product portfolio, most notably with the introduction of the all-new XT4 SUV as well as concluding the successful lifecycle of the ATS Sedan in North America. The ATS Coupe, which is on a later lifecycle, will continue into 2019,” wrote Cadillac spokesman Donny Nordlicht in an email to The Truth About Cars.

The ending of ATS sedan production is to allow GM to start the retooling process at Lansing Grand River Assembly plant for the "next generation of Cadillac sedans”. We're assuming this means the upcoming CT5 - replacement for ATS, CTS, and XTS - will be built here.

Source: The Truth About Cars, 2

View full article

Nothing shocking about this I think to everyone in the world, car sales are making it very hard to keep them going. I would expect others to mimic and reduce car types that they sell. I bet the german brands will reduce the types of cars sold over the next year.

It does put the Ford culling of sedans in greater context.  As for the Germans (and Japanese) I doubt they will do the same since each has been winning ever since the 1980s.  Mercedes may be forced to, but BMW and Audi will probably simply cut production rather than cancel entire car lines.

I can't see the Germans cutting sedans models completely; the drop in sales of sedans is a temporary US market abberration; sedans still sell in other markets.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

okay, I'm still not sure why everyone is surprised by this.  The ATS dies just like the SRX died.... because it got a new name.   A new car will slot in to replace ATS with a new name. 

Yeah isn't there supposed to be like a CT5 that will cover the CTS and ATS? Aren't they kind of going back to the tweener size like the original CTS? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah isn't there supposed to be like a CT5 that will cover the CTS and ATS? Aren't they kind of going back to the tweener size like the original CTS? 

CT4 or CT5..some BS TLA...

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The wiggle room is the word "sedan". I would expect whatever takes the ATS's place to be some sort of hatchback with a crossover hatchback version as well. It will drop in overall size and probably move to FWD like the Germans have. The CTS will drop in size, the XTS dies, and the CT6 remains the same.  Some flagship that is technically not a sedan (think Tesla Model S hatchback) will be above the CT6.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

okay, I'm still not sure why everyone is surprised by this.  The ATS dies just like the SRX died.... because it got a new name.   A new car will slot in to replace ATS with a new name. 

I'm not surprised by this news... Its more the fact of that we finally got confirmation and can move on to something else, like complaining about the upcoming XT6 or whatever it will be called.

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yes. CT5 will take the place of ATS, CTS, and XTS.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, William Maley said:

I'm not surprised by this news... Its more the fact of that we finally got confirmation and can move on to something else, like complaining about the upcoming XT6 or whatever it will be called.

It's not you... it's the people out there who are like "ZOMG! ATS DIEING!!!11!!".  Even without Cadillac's sedan shakeup, the ATS was dying and being replaced by a new name. 

• Agree 1

ATD and XTS were one and done products that nothing really to move the needle, Cadillac market share has been shrinking for years.  So why is there any reason to believe that the CT5 will be any good?  

My prediction is CT4 as 3-series size for 1-series money and a CT5 which will be 5-series size for 3-series money to go with a CT6 7-series size for 5-series money.  I think that is the strategy they will use and I don’t think that will work either with the exception of the CT5 picking up MKZ sales when it dies.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

"One & done" - no; it's in it's 2nd generation and it is going to continue as a coupe / V coupe.
It put an entry-level Cadillac in that lux segment and has sold over 140K units.

This generation came out in 2013 model year, the coupe is for 2019 only then they will kill that off, it is the same car they make now, they are just extended the coupe one model year past the sedan.  There is no 2nd generation to be had.

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well, and replace a few at the same time.

About darn time....