GM News: General Motors Plans On Expanding Super Cruise To Other Brands After 2020

Since the launch of Super Cruise on the 2018 Cadillac CT6, General Motors executives said the technology would expand to other brands. But they didn't give a timeframe as to when.

Today at the Intelligent Transportation Society of America conference in Detroit, GM product chief Mark Reuss said Super Cruise would begin rolling out to Buick, Chevrolet, and GMC models after 2020. This will follow Cadillac's expansion of the technology to other models beginning in 2020.

Super Cruise is "a feature that customers routinely come into dealerships asking about, shopping for, and specifically ordering," said Reuss in a speech.

"Making it available in every Cadillac on the showroom floor just makes sense."

GM also announced plans to introduce vehicle-to-everything (V2X) communications in a high-volume Cadillac crossover by 2023. This technology will allow the vehicle to communicate with everything from infrastructure to a person's smart phone to get information on construction, traffic lights, and other road hazards. This technology will expand to other Cadillac models in the future.

Source: The Detroit News, Cadillac

Cadillac to Expand Super Cruise Across Entire Lineup

• Super Cruise to roll out to other GM brands
  • V2X communication debuts in Cadillac crossover in 2023

New York — Cadillac plans to expand the rollout of Super CruiseTM, the world’s first true hands-free driver assistance feature for the freeway. Super Cruise will be available on all Cadillac models, with the rollout beginning in 2020. After 2020, Super Cruise will make its introduction in other General Motors brands. Cadillac also plans to offer V2X communications in a high-volume crossover by 2023 and eventually expand the technology across Cadillac’s portfolio. Mark Reuss, GM executive vice president of Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain, announced these plans at the Intelligent Transportation Society’s annual conference in Detroit Wednesday.

“The expansion of Super Cruise and V2X communications technology demonstrates Cadillac’s commitment to innovation, and to making customers’ lives better,” Reuss said. “GM is just as committed to ushering in a new era of personal transportation, and technologies like these will enable it.”

Reuss’ comments reaffirm GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra’s pledge in her keynote address at the 2014 ITS World Congress, where she announced Cadillac would begin offering advanced intelligent and connected technology in its vehicles.

“Cadillac is proud to be the leader for the company’s innovation,” said Steve Carlisle, Cadillac president. “Groundbreaking technologies like these continue to provide unparalleled comfort and convenience for our customers.”

The Super Cruise driver assistance feature is made possible by precision LiDAR map data, high precision GPS, a state-of-the-art driver attention system and a network of camera and radar sensors. It requires an active OnStar service plan with emergency services to function. Customers can drive hands-free on more than 130,000 miles of limited-access freeways in the U.S. and Canada. The driver attention system helps to keep drivers engaged and detects when drivers need to pay more attention to the road. Even while using Super Cruise, drivers must always pay attention and not use a handheld device.

Cadillac introduced vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications on the CTS sedan in 2017, which uses Dedicated Short-Range Communications (DSRC) technology. Using the Basic Safety Message as a base, V2V can be extended to the roadway infrastructure and other roadway users (e.g., cyclists, pedestrians, etc.) establishing a V2X ecosystem. Using V2X, compatible vehicles can be notified of hazardous road conditions, traffic light statuses, changing work zones and more. With a range of nearly 1,000 feet, drivers can be alerted to possible threats in time to avoid a crash.

View full article

Reminds me of a few movies where all the cars are taken control off and driven to attack others. This is how I can see Vehicle to everything (V2X) if a hacker gets in. Wonder if you can turn it off or just limit it to your cell phone? 🤔

Super Cruise on every Cadillac does make sense.  I am not sure I believe Mark Reuss when he says a lot of customers come in specially for it because it is only offered on 1 Cadillac and it is on their lowest selling car.  

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Super Cruise on every Cadillac does make sense.  I am not sure I believe Mark Reuss when he says a lot of customers come in specially for it because it is only offered on 1 Cadillac and it is on their lowest selling car.  

Been enough advertising about it that I have heard people talk about it and want to see it in person. I think many just do not know that it is only available on the CT6 right now. They should have rolled it out on the CT6 and Escalade at the same time.

• Agree 1

So when is the magical level 5 autonomous car predicted again?

like late 2020s rite? 

Hmm since this stuff conceivably is software limited at the moment not hardware (Tesla says they can go back and add full autonomy once they get it done if you pay $5000 for sensors that can’t actually do it right now!), could they upgrade super cruise over the air and add more autonomy?

I mean could we live in a future where you could mod a car like this a decade down the line so you could add the level 5 like some aftermarket head units,  HUD’s.

like unplug the old car computer and put in a new one.

Car suddenly is smarts.

🤔 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

All serious car innovations start at the most expensive models and then go downmarket.  The only major exception to this rule is the 1940 Oldsmobile with the first automatic transmission.

45 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

All serious car innovations start at the most expensive models and then go downmarket.  The only major exception to this rule is the 1940 Oldsmobile with the first automatic transmission.

Not so much an exception: Cadillac did the engineering & development on the HM, Olds merely did the field testing.
Olds was given the HM as a RPO a year before Cadillac.

One might think Buick, being on a higher tier, would have gotten it, but Buick was wrapped up in their own transmission bubble.