BMW News: Spying: Next-Generation BMW 3-Series Quietly Hums Along

William Maley

There have been some rumors floating around for the past couple of years that BMW was planning to offer a 3-Series with a fully electric powertrain. Some new spy shots reveal that may come to fruition.

At first glance, this looks like a normal 3-Series sedan. But on the front doors, there is a label that reads "Electric Test Vehicle". BMW has also tried to disguise the fact this is an electric by attaching tailpipes, but the spy photographer says its a pure EV.

Not much is known about the electric powertrain or batteries. This mule was seen testing with a Tesla Model 3, suggesting that BMW sees it a direct competitor to the 3-Series EV. To do that, the model would need a range of over 200 miles. But sources at BMW tell Motor Trend that the range could be as close to 300 miles.

We do know the next 3-Series will transition the CLAR platform that uses a combination of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. It also looks like that the design will not change that much from the current model.

The next 3-Series is expected to debut at the Paris Motor Show in October. Whether we see the EV version is unclear.

Source: Motor Trend

View full article

BMW-3-Series-Electric-11.jpg?impolicy=en

Way too funny seeing that label above the Fake Tail pipes. :P I honestly hope they come out of the gate right with a 300 mile battery pack. Put tesla in their place. :smilewide:

After reviewing these pictures, if BMW truly delivers on an EV sedan with 300 miles that you cannot tell apart from an ICE Series 3 sedan, they will really hit Tesla hard as I think most people will take an EV without even thinking about it. Just another Torquay silent car that glides along, charging on cheap electricity with lower maintenance. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I dunno- the BMW 330e is a unilaterally flop despite a 370 mile range (but it's pure EV range is only a measly 14 miles). Not so sure a full electric BMW 3 is going to do much better (i8 is ridiculously overpriced).

Agree the i8 is overpriced, over rated. The 330e is a flop as a mild hybrid with only 14 miles is a joke, not worth the cost. 

I truly think the next OEM with a 300 mile range pure EV is going to take Tesla's lunch of a model 3 swdan. Tesla quality is a joke and I do believe there is enough demand that once you get another builder making a car or cuv with a 300 mile range that can produce in quantity with quality that Tesla will hurt.

10 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

The i3 is a joke, the i8 is a joke.  This will certainly be no different.

You complain about the weird looking i Series and how they lack looking like normal auto's. Now a normal looking EV is coming and you pre-Judge it.

You do not know how it will be received. A normal looking 3 series like the rest of the family, with 300 miles of range and less maintenance cost, lower fueling costs and quiet sounds like a win for those that are tired of waiting for the over rated Tesla Model 3.

^ But BMW already has the completely pedestrian 330e out- no one buys it. Sales are 100-some/mnth. Sure; the EV range is crap, but it's a BMW, and it still has an overall rage of 370 miles. I don't think BMW buyers are remotely interested in EV cars. In this case, the 'weird' i3 outsells the 330e 4:1... perhaps 'weird' is what a small sliver of BMW buyers want after all.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Straight line speed isn't the end-all-be-all. 

Yet Tesla is just not fast in straight line, they have done extremely well in track courses as well as other types of driving. 

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yet Tesla is just not fast in straight line, they have done extremely well in track courses as well as other types of driving. 

What track test have you read where they're comparing them to ICE cars and doing better? They probably only have 1 maybe 2 hot laps before needing to cool and charge up.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-tesla-model-3-performance-on-track-driving/

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/31/mountain-pass-performance-unlocks-tesla-model-3-track-mode-shatters-track-record-cleantechnica-exclusive/

Both above on the Model 3.

While the Tesla S did not finish in full power mode last time in Germany, it did do an impressive first 3 min.

https://insideevs.com/expected-tesla-model-s-fails-lap-nurburgring-full-power-video/

Best quote of the Nissan GT-R developer Lead who tested the Tesla S on the track was as follows:

“The lap itself was around 10 minutes Bridge to Gantry (in heavy traffic) but unfortunately the car went into a reduced power mode about 3 minutes in due to excess battery heat (at least, that’s my guess).”

“However, before it did it was able to keep a GT3 RS going full chat, within shouting distance (at the 2:00 mark) far longer than any 4,700lb sedan has a right to.”

“I think without the reduced power output and traffic, a B-T-G lap under nine minutes is possible. According to the Bridge To Gantry site, that would put it in the company of some really quick hot hatches.”

This story was from 2014, so I have to assume much has been overcome since then in the last 4 years.

Here is the updated story when a p90D was taken to the track.https://evobsession.com/tesla-model-s-p90d-nurburgring-video/

Over all seems Tesla still has their limits built in after 3min of aggressive driving to reduce power output but a 10 min lap time still.

Course Porsche is clearly going for the full meal as their testing on the track shows what a dialed in EV car can do, especially as heavy as these 4 doors are.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-rival-porsche-mission-e-nurburgring-sighting/ 

36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Wow. 3 whole minutes of spirited driving before she doesn't want any more of it. My Focus could take on a Model S if they're only competitive for 3 minutes. 

Even in reduced mode, I bet the tesla would still beat many cars.

Tesla has already stated that once the fine tune the track option that is in the Model 3, it will get pushed out to the S model and I suspect they know they have to have a true track mode since Porsche is doing it as well as BMW and Daimler.

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well, until then, it's a lame duck on any race track that isn't a drag strip. 

There's no denying the capability and their straight line acceleration. But, they're not there yet, at least Tesla isn't. 

Totally agree with you there. I am looking forward to Porsche handing Tesla their Ass. :P 

Ludicrous mode will be trumped by whatever mode Porsche comes up with I think.