Does it HURT? I Like it When It Hurts! Chevy Blazer Beats Pilot and Edge in MT and C&D Comparo

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I'm still stuck on the :

"Most people will not even know how to use it when they need it." 

As in it is a real issue with some one hitting a switch these days😥 FOH

Took this guy about 30 seconds to explain it. 

Good video and yes simple for the GMC, Cadillac puts it in their display and you have to use the steering wheel controls. Weird is you can select the option you want while your moving but it will not change anything unless you stop first and then select it. Also, while my wife and I have no problem using the tech selection that way, many folks I see buying Cadillacs, hell even Buick's cannot seem to figure out the tech selection. GMC is simple and forward, Buick and Cadillac seem to have made it a bit more cumbersome for those that might not be as tech savy.

Yes for pretty much all of us on this site, it should not be hard to figure out but we do have to think of the average person who buys and uses the product. Many have a challenge using the basics on a smart phone, add a digital display to it on an auto and confusion happens.

I would say that GM seems to have some confusing thoughts on various products on how to implement what should be a basic easy to use service / feature function.

13 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I'm still stuck on the :

"Most people will not even know how to use it when they need it." 

You picked one line from the whole sentence where I put 4 more LEGITIMATE reasons to have AWD on all the time.  The ONLY reason GM turns AWD off on their crossovers is to get extra 1 mpg in their fuel efficiency rating, so don't give me that bull about choices and uneducated lazy customers. 

But whatever, I will not be arguing with you because you will just come up with any excuse to justify anything GM does.  It seems most people here actually do see reason and logic.

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 2

@dfelt The AWD system controls on the XT5 are on the center console unless they changed it for 2019. The XT4 is the same last I drove. They are very simple to use buttons

@ykX U know what.. I apologize for coming off as a dick.. my bad.. was a very frustrating last coupla days with corporate tax time. Accountants getting on my nerves and my outlet is car forums.. I came off wrong. U and I have never had a beef and again.. my apologies

The AWD system in the XT4 is switchable, I'm know for fuel economy reasons.. but switchable does not mean one can't leave it on if they want during power cycle. Meaning once the vehicle is turned off.. the driver can leave it on for future use.

If the vehicle is in AWD Mode when the engine is turned off, Driver Mode Control will come on in AWD Mode at the next ignition cycle.

Tour : Tour Mode operates in FWD to improve fuel economy. Use this mode during normal driving operations.

Sport : Sport Mode improves vehicle handling and acceleration on dry pavement. When active, Sport Mode modifies steering efforts, transmission shifting, AWD torque, and suspension tuning, if equipped. When in Sport Mode, the AWD Mode indicator light will be on.

AWD : AWD Mode provides drive torque to all four wheels. Select AWD to improve traction and control on slippery road surfaces, such as gravel, sand, wet pavement, snow, and ice. When in AWD Mode, the AWD Mode indicator light will be on. Snow/Ice (FWD Vehicles Only) : Snow/Ice Mode improves vehicle acceleration on snow

From the XT4 and XT5 manuals which are avail on line as well.  

So point again is that CHOICE is my favored option as it is most desirable for me as much as the CHOICE and OPTION are synonyms. If I was an owner of a Cadillac or Acura cuv, I see zero reason why CHOICE would take me to the Honda. The reason pointed out by U in regards to liking the fact that the ACURA leaves its AWD system on all the time is also moot.. as the CADILLAC system allows the owner CHOICE and the OPTION to leave their's on as well. 

ESSENTIALLY Cadillac's system offers TWO takes on AWD in the XT5/4/6. The SPORT AWD and regular AWD. If the owner leaves the vehicle in SPORT.. yes the AWD system will revert back to FWD when the ignition is cycled. Ifthe leave it regular AWD.. the vehicle will STAY in AWD until the owner changes it even if the car is power cycled

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, regfootball said:

i saw a red hot Blazer RS on the road the other day.  It is distinctive.  Too bad that person paid close to 50 geezels for it.  That's exactly why GM puffs up the MSRP.  The early adopter fanbois slip GM the 15 grand in profit so the cheap asses like me can wait till its priced 70% of MSRP.  Fine by me, let the fanbois pay.

Fanbois, people who just don't care because they just don't, or people who want what they want NOW.. what's it matter? This 70% logic applies to every vehicle on the market. I can walk into a BMW dealership right now and get a $115K 2019 BMW 750i for $96K. Because its been on the lot for a few months.. a 2018? I can get for $30K off right now. Brand new.. just wanting to be moved. Or U could've just walked in and just bought the thing at MSRP a few months ago, because U wanted the car.. and didn't feel like waiting. Some people can call it stupid but others say "U only live once... money ain't gonna do jack for U when U are in the ground"  Seriously bro.. 

Oh to @surreal1272. My apologies too. Look above this and U will see my constructive contributions. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Oh and a CUV can be sporty AND luxurious at the same time. If it can be done with a sedan (i.e. CTS-V), then it can be done on a CUV. Porsche seems to have no problem covering both ends of the luxury/sport market so I’m pretty sure Cadillac can do it as well. Your deflection doesn’t change that fact.

There are plenty out there now. Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi at the "reasonable" price range. Each of them have at least two that I can think of. Well, Audi only has one, SQ5. It isn't an RS but 349hp/379tq in a compact SUV is pretty dang stout. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Cadillac puts it in their display and you have to use the steering wheel controls. Weird is you can select the option you want while your moving but it will not change anything unless you stop first and then select it.

Wow, that's terrible, imo. Horrible way to integrate AWD. 

58 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

The AWD system in the XT4 is switchable, I'm know for fuel economy reasons.. but switchable does not mean one can't leave it on if they want during power cycle. Meaning once the vehicle is turned off.. the driver can leave it on for future use.

That was my only question, does it retain the setting for the next time the vehicle is started. If it does, I see zero issue with it. If it defaults to 2WD every time, I wouldn't like that. 

I can say one thing, I am currently looking for a new family crossover for my wife we will be buying this year,  And I KNOW my wife will not be fiddling with any settings, whatever they might be.  To me personally, Acura's or Subaru's systems are preferable.  They help in emergency, they work in bad weather and they help in acceleration, they work automatically and they have been proved to work well.

As a car enthusiast I like choices but honestly, if I buy AWD car or crossover, I would like the awd system to be ON all the time.  If I would be buying a real off-road vehicle, than I would like it to have choice of specific settings for 4WD system for me to select depending on the terrain and condition.  Just my personal preference and opinion of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

@dfelt The AWD system controls on the XT5 are on the center console unless they changed it for 2019. The XT4 is the same last I drove. They are very simple to use buttons

The 2019 XT5 I had had the 3 buttons by the shifter but then you had to confirm what you wanted on the digital dash and you truly had to be in park to change anything which does make sense. The only issue is that being the confirmation is on the right smaller midsection of the digital dash, there will be folks that will think they are in sports mode but defaulted back due to not seeing the small confirmation screen. I know it threw me the first time and my wife was not paying attention when she wanted to try it. Cadillacs system might seem simple initially but I think people will be thrown until they realize the confirmation they need to do via the front dash display and steering wheel buttons.

Still like the XT5 / 6, but I do feel that GM can still do better.

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

THE SUPERIOR PHONES! 

..Triggered.. 🤣

But, in all seriousness, that is absolutely correct. That's why I've loved my iPhones. 

Yes... they just work, work well, and you don't have to do much out of the box.    As a software engineer I deal with endless, multi-level complexity on a daily basis....don't want to deal with it in my phone or my car...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Wow, that's terrible, imo. Horrible way to integrate AWD. 

That was my only question, does it retain the setting for the next time the vehicle is started. If it does, I see zero issue with it. If it defaults to 2WD every time, I wouldn't like that. 

Go back and read my entire post above. 

@dfelt  I literally ran up to my Caddy dealer 15 minutes ago.. I told my sales guy that I was thinking of bringing my gf up to look at it but I needed to confirm something first. I then was able to drive it around the parking area without him even gettin a tag.. . U are correct that if U use the Steering wheel control YES it is more complicated.. But that is a redundant control and the CENTER CONSOLE buttons are right there to give U instant access to the settings with a push of the button. It did not require me to stop at all. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

@dfelt  I literally ran up to my Caddy dealer 15 minutes ago.. I told my sales guy that I was thinking of bringing my gf up to look at it but I needed to confirm something first. I then was able to drive it around the parking area without him even gettin a tag.. . U are correct that if U use the Steering wheel control YES it is more complicated.. But that is a redundant control and the CENTER CONSOLE buttons are right there to give U instant access to the settings with a push of the button. It did not require me to stop at all. 

Does it hold the setting after shutting the car off?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Fanbois, people who just don't care because they just don't, or people who want what they want NOW.. what's it matter? This 70% logic applies to every vehicle on the market. I can walk into a BMW dealership right now and get a $115K 2019 BMW 750i for $96K. Because its been on the lot for a few months.. a 2018? I can get for $30K off right now. Brand new.. just wanting to be moved. Or U could've just walked in and just bought the thing at MSRP a few months ago, because U wanted the car.. and didn't feel like waiting. Some people can call it stupid but others say "U only live once... money ain't gonna do jack for U when U are in the ground"  Seriously bro.. 

Oh to @surreal1272. My apologies too. Look above this and U will see my constructive contributions. 

I kind of like your edgy nature....no doubt ever where you stand.

But thought about you at lunch....ate with a friend....

Mutual Friend of ours had his wife put his GMC Denali Truck into a reservoir...she left it in neutral and did not put it into park on a hill. At first the family thought it was stolen....until a fisherman said he saw something under water about twenty feet out in the reservoir.

Tow truck pulled a very waterlogged vehicle out....after divers attached chains to it.

Something you said about stupid people....

My friend was merciless to our other friend...said he deserved a ticket because there was a 5 HP limit on that reservoir.

Anyhoo....thanks for keeping it real. And human stupidity knows no end.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I did. Thank you and that's how it ought to be. 👍

The only real trouble makers here were expelled by the management. I have absolutely zero issues with any of you.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ohhhhh...and I also ran into our vendor this morning that has both a CT6 and a Conti. He says the CT6 is wayyyy more car than the Conti ever dreamed of being, but loves them both dearly.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

• Agree 2

Thank you for checking this, I wonder why my loaner would not hold any other setting via the buttons. I thought the stop first was weird too. Thank you, appreciate what you did. :metal:

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes... they just work, work well, and you don't have to do much out of the box.    As a software engineer I deal with endless, multi-level complexity on a daily basis....don't want to deal with it in my phone or my car...

That complexity keep dementia and alzheimer's away! ;) 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Thank you for checking this, I wonder why my loaner would not hold any other setting via the buttons. I thought the stop first was weird too. Thank you, appreciate what you did. :metal:

That complexity keep dementia and alzheimer's away! ;) 

I suspect it I had to use an Android phone now it would end the same as my last two Android phones--smashed and stomped.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

There are plenty out there now. Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi at the "reasonable" price range. Each of them have at least two that I can think of. Well, Audi only has one, SQ5. It isn't an RS but 349hp/379tq in a compact SUV is pretty dang stout. 

Very true but Porsche was the first to come to my mind given their “sports car” roots that they successfully managed to blend into a luxury SUV/CUV. The XT6 suffers from two problems (whether fanboys want to admit to it or not). It does not look or feel sporty or luxurious when put up against the competition. The potential is there but like I said before, it comes off as a solid double instead of a homerun. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

Very true but Porsche was the first to come to my mind given their “sports car” roots that they successfully managed to blend into a luxury SUV/CUV. The XT6 suffers from two problems (whether fanboys want to admit to it or not). It does not look or feel sporty or luxurious when put up against the competition. The potential is there but like I said before, it comes off as a solid double instead of a homerun. 

The XT6 should do fine against the 3 row Lexus RX, though... that's more of it's target market than any of the European performance-oriented luxury CUVs. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The XT6 should do fine against the 3 row Lexus RX, though... that's more of it's target market than any of the European performance-oriented luxury CUVs. 

And that’s fine if they want to go that route but that backs up my “hit for a double” remark. The RX is not the bar setter here nor should it be seen as that if you’re trying to be the best luxury make out there. I’m sure it will sell in fine numbers but so does the Camry. Anyone here actually think the Camry is the best of the midsize cars? 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And that’s fine if they want to go that route but that backs up my “hit for a double” remark. The RX is not the bar setter here nor should it be seen as that if you’re trying to be the best luxury make out there. I’m sure it will sell in fine numbers but so does the Camry. Anyone here actually think the Camry is the best of the midsize cars? 

Problem is, the GM CUVs are hampered by having generic FWD/transverse engine platforms, which is the same kind of generic garden variety architecture the RX has...so they aren't aiming high.... they don't have proper AWD/RWD based CUV platforms like M-B, BMW, and Porsche have...  for women leasing CUVs in suburbia to haul around offspring, the XT6 should do fine against the RX.   

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

This GM Fanboi can respect what you say! :) 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And THIS is the reason why I act the way I do..🙄 

Guy.. U have never even been an XT6. The XT5 pulls off plenty in terms of luxury. When the Premium Lux upgrades are thrown in.. it absolutely is ever bit as luxo as a GLE. The XT6 is literally starting off on the same interior level as the Premium Lux.. hence the price being slightly more than bargain shoppers want to see. 

And track times are not a requirement in a vehicle this size. The XT6 is 7 inches longer than the Cayenne.. Why would one even compare the two. If U had said XT5.. maybe.. but even then in terms of handling I'd have to say again.. DRIVE IT FIRST.. and get back to me about the handling capabilities.. Either way.. the Cayenne is obviously more focused. Cadillac is not Corvette. And if the Corvette came out with a CUV,  I'm sure it would have no issue dealing with Porsche's entry. And before U say something about that "IF," remember that BMW's X5, even in M form is not exactly purpose built to go up against a Cayenne and win. Cadillac, in terms of luxury is more of a Benz in CUVs and a BMW in cars when we are talking performance trim for trim. 

13 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Look the RX does what its supposed to do for the target market its going after.. ones that usually pay the most bills these days and that the FEMALE DEMO. Hence the reason why the top selling CUVS have been the RX, XT5/SRX, and the MDX. If Cadillac has to cater to women, to make the bottom line fat so they can cater to me with cars that set my soul on fire and an Escalade that makes my heart sing.. then cool. Cadillac could right now (and I hope they aren't basing their decision to do so by my statement) say that each one of the XTs are getting the TTV6 treatment and I'd still be waiting for the Escalade and the CT6-V 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Problem is, the GM CUVs are hampered by having generic FWD/transverse engine platforms, which is the same garden variety architecture the LX has...so they aren't aiming high.... they don't have proper AWD/RWD based CUV platforms like M-B, BMW, and Porsche have...

Who made RWD PROPER in a CUV in the first place? I've been going to the track my whole life it seems.. certainly spirited driving as well.. who the hell is regularly taking their top heavy CUV to the track.. or even hitting curves on the road like a BOSS? Proper RWD CUV for hi-performance is the epitome of an oxymoron. Ferdinand and millions of Porsche lovers past can't even believe we are having this conversation and including the name Porsche. Hell.. I'm sure BMW purists feel the same

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Who made RWD PROPER in a CUV in the first place? I've been going to the track my whole life it seems.. certainly spirited driving as well.. who the hell is regularly taking their top heavy CUV to the track.. or even hitting curves on the road like a BOSS? Proper RWD CUV for hi-performance is the epitome of an oxymoron. Ferdinand and millions of Porsche lovers past can't even believe we are having this conversation and including the name Porsche. Hell.. I'm sure BMW purists feel the same

Well, you don't see performance versions of CUVs or SUVs being made from FWD/transverse engine generic platforms...look at the good stuff--Range Rover Sport, Jag F-pace, Cayenne Turbo, GC Trackhawk, Mercedes AMG SUVs, BMW M SUVs--these are all proper AWD/RWD platforms.... and if Porsche didn't have the Cayenne, they would have long gone out of business..it's their money maker that enables them to build sports cars.     The FWD/transverse engine CUVs are just minivans with less practicality.   The whole purist bullshit argument against Porsche and BMW having SUVs is about 20 years out of date... I'd love to see Cadillac have a V-series SUV with the CTS-v powertrain, but that's not going to happen w/ a generic transverse engine platform...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

This is one hell of an excuse. 

Dare Greatly, Cadillac does not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This GM Fanboi can respect what you say! :) 

I should clarify that there are “fanboys” and then there are “brand blind fan boys” lol.  

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Definitely is counter to the “dare greatly” ad campaign we have been sold on but hey, everyone has an excuse in one fashion or another. It doesn’t change the problems faced by it though. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

5 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I should clarify that there are “fanboys” and then there are “brand blind fan boys” lol.  

Definitely is counter to the “dare greatly” as campaign we have been sold on but hey, everyone has an excuse in one fashion or another. It doesn’t change the problems faced by it though. 

So then the Cadillac "Dare Greatly" is really 

DARE GREATLY IN DEPENDS!

:roflmao:

• Haha 1

Just now, dfelt said:

So then the Cadillac "Dare Greatly" is really 

DARE GREATLY IN DEPENDS!

:roflmao:

I think Cadillac has some great stuff...the Escalade, the sedans.  But there really isn't anything special about their volume lease CUVs.   They 'dare greatly' at times. 

• Agree 1

"Take an average leap into mediocrity. Test drive our CUVs today!"

Just now, Robert Hall said:

I think Cadillac has some great stuff...the Escalade, the sedans.  But there really isn't anything special about their volume lease CUVs.   They 'dare greatly' at times. 

They dared greatly before they made that slogan. Since then... no such daring moves. 

The last time Cadillac dared to be great was in 2015 when the current Escalade came to market or in 2016 when they crammed a 640hp supercharged V8 into a family sedan only available with RWD. 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, you don't see performance versions of CUVs or SUVs being made from FWD/transverse engine generic platforms...look at the good stuff--Range Rover Sport, Jag F-pace, Cayenne Turbo, GC Trackhawk, Mercedes AMG SUVs, BMW M SUVs--these are all proper AWD/RWD platforms.... and if Porsche didn't have the Cayenne, they would have long gone out of business..it's their money maker that enables them to build sports cars.     The FWD/transverse engine CUVs are just minivans with less practicality.

I know a few people with some of the exact vehicles U speak of.. and let me tell U.. not one of them take those vehicles to a damn track.. they do an occasional LUNGE from the stop light. Furthermore.. if U really believe that those vehicles can handle as well as a performance car then I say get your insurance policy up to date.. and let the right people know where U have it stored

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Its no excuse. What was your interpretation of that abandoned tagline introduced by two execs from Europe who are no longer with the brand for more than a year? Come on... I'm not gonna go all insulty here, but use your head. WHY THE FUKK.. do people believe that because Cadillac has the VSeries line they are supposed to be ALL PERFORMANCE suddenly? Mercedes has the AMG line and they are not even considered Sport-Lux... they are tagged LUXURY. Why would Cadillac not get the same treatment when they in reality basically invented luxury? Because Americans hear something an run with it.. they take little time to investigate the real deal. Cadillac has luxury cars.. they have sport trims. They are not and should not suddenly be considered the new Pontiac.. as in GM's Sport/Performance brand. Its silly..

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I know a few people with some of the exact vehicles U speak of.. and let me tell U.. not one of them take those vehicles to a damn track.. they do an occasional LUNGE from the stop light. Furthermore.. if U really believe that those vehicles can handle as well as a performance car then I say get your insurance policy up to date.. and let the right people know where U have it stored

You missed the point. They handle way better than some damn FWD/transverse engine wannabe minivan.    There is nothing aspirational about a CUV on a damn FWD/transverse engine platform and 2.0 4cyl that is shared w/ Chevy and GMC...  now the Cayenne Turbo, X5 M, Trackhawk, etc..those are aspirational products.  

And stop it with the 'U'..this isn't text messaging.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Oh. @Robert Hall ain't nothin aspiration to me about a $85K Grand Cherokee. Want! Go Buy! That's it. I "aspire" to walk into a dealership and get... Not!!!🤣

Whatever...we know you have a xenophobic hate of FCA products, that's your problem.  And what is the GM equivalent?  GM doesn't have any performance SUVs these days.  And lay off on the personal attacks of ccap41, myself and others..keep it professional. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 4

I love the logic that somehow you cannot criticize said car or car company if you never plan on driving or buying one. If that’s the case, then I guess most of us would have nothing to talk about here. 😎

Just dumb is what it is, in reality. 

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I love the logic that somehow you cannot criticize said car or car company if you never plan on driving or buying one. If that’s the case, then I guess most of us would have nothing to talk about here. 😎 

Yeah, it could get pretty boring..like posting on a one-marque forum...though I do spend time on Jeep WK2 forums.    Being able to discuss the good and the bad of all cars or car companies is what makes forums like this interesting..

• Agree 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

Cadillac's current tagline: Rise Above.

" Rise Above the mainstream brands, but only barely. Check out our fancy Chevy's. "

Rise Above.  But don't look below (at the shared components). 

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, it could get pretty boring..like posting on a one-marque forum...though I do spend time on Jeep WK2 forums.    Being able to discuss the good and the bad of all cars or car companies is what makes forums like this interesting..

Those are useful for modifying and repairs but that's about it. They've pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird. 

I don't even need to write a joke for this one! Cadillac writes it themselves. 

Rise Above.PNG

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Those are useful for modifying and repairs but that's about it. They've pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird. 

I don't even need to write a joke for this one! Cadillac writes it themselves. 

Rise Above.PNG

Not a flattering picture at all, if you’re the XT6. If can’t “dare greatly” make sure you can actually “rise above”. Neither slogan works right now. 

Just now, surreal1272 said:

Not a flattering picture at all, if you’re the XT6. If can’t “dare greatly” make sure you can actually “rise above”. Neither slogan works right now. 

Oddly, they parked them in the wrong order..the XT6 should be between the Escalade and XT5.

• Agree 3

Guest RegularGuy

And the same Blazer lost to a Chyrsler Pacifica. I'm even sure even an XT6 would lose against a Pacifica.

U kno who the eff would ever buy a car based on what a magazine has to say. The same Ford Edge that lost by mere hairs probably has many more thousands of dollars on the hood than the Blazer.

And the Passport will enjoy legendary resale values that the Blazer never will.

Dollars and cents make the deal. 

Blazer offers style. Not much else.