Does it HURT? I Like it When It Hurts! Chevy Blazer Beats Pilot and Edge in MT and C&D Comparo

Good family relationships often involve compromise, and that's what the Chevrolet Blazer does well. The Blazer is powerful, composed, and fun to drive while offering the latest in infotainment, a shockingly spacious rear seat, and creature comforts like heated seats and power ports for devices. Its stylish sheetmetal helps it stand out in a sea of lozenge-shaped crossovers. The Blazer is the family vehicle that actually appeals to the whole family, and for that reason it upsets the Honda on its home court.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/blazer/2019/2019-chevrolet-blazer-vs-2019-honda-passport-comparison-review/

The Bottom Line

While the aging Ford Edge remains a solidly capable and utterly practical two-row SUV in the mid-size class, the stylish Chevrolet Blazer is, at this price point, a more compelling package for its contemporary execution, stronger performance, and more secure road manners—even though it, too, can feel light on value near the $50K mark. A full comparison test will ultimately determine how the new Blazer ranks among its mid-size competitors. For now, however, that some of the Camaro DNA that Chevrolet incorporated into the Blazer's design has also leached into its chassis—without significantly dinging its utility—makes it a stronger pick over its familiar crosstown rival.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26574466/2019-chevrolet-blazer-vs-2019-ford-edge/

Local dealer still has their black one, been there for about a month now.  It was unlocked over the weekend.  Sat in it for a minute on Sunday, after a couple in their 60's got out of it and left in their Ram.

36 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Local dealer still has their black one, been there for about a month now.  It was unlocked over the weekend.  Sat in it for a minute on Sunday, after a couple in their 60's got out of it and left in their Ram.

They didn't deserve it.  They drove up there in an Italian POS.. Fukkk em

• Disagree 4

26 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Well, how do I know they didn't go back Monday and buy it?  Plus, how is a Ram Italian?

• Agree 3

Of the 6 Chevrolet dealers in the Greater Seattle area, they have a total of 21 blazers and of those 21, 8 are RS models from $50,765 to $51,160.  The dates on them all range from 2 to 3 weeks sitting, so I would have to say they are not moving that fast, but then only a couple weeks old here.

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

There is nothing FIAT in a Ram though.

Sure there is, you had an Italian leader that has built nothing but crap build a piss poor 48 volt hybrid crap system into the Ram that performs poorly on MPG, so yes Italian garbage.

8 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

The profits go back to Fiat in Italy. Won't touch it. 

Actually, FCA is headquartered in the UK, not Italy.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20140801/COPY01/308019978/fiat-says-ciao-to-italy-headquarters-as-chrysler-merger-is-approved

Edited by VenSeattle
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Sure there is, you had an Italian leader that has built nothing but crap build a piss poor 48 volt hybrid crap system into the Ram that performs poorly on MPG, so yes Italian garbage.

This was an earlier truck, with unsullied Hemi power.  Thankfully still available at Ram, with no hybrid junk designed to hoodwink confused, on-the-fence truck buyers into thinking they're buying the Prius of trucks.

• Haha 1

Plain and simple, price is killing the Blazer.

My local Chevy dealer (where i got the Nox) has some Blazers, but at the moment they are all RS’s 

They had some LS and LT, but they sold all of those..

Chevy would be wise to throw out some deals to get folks in them first. Then gently roll back to the higher price point.....

Personally, I think the RS should have been more than it is for the price point.  In RS trim it looks great but for the price I think it needs to be higher performance than being just a warmed up crossover. 

The lower trims look like they came from rental lots.  I wish GM good luck with it but for example a three row MDX that is bigger, has larger and nicer interior is at least just as fast as RS and handles at least as good (compare the numbers).  It has a much better AWD system too, and starts at $44k.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ykX said:

Funny when MT and C&D criticizes Cadillac or GM vehicle or losses a comparison, than "they don't know $h!", "companies paid them".   But as soon as GM vehicle wins a comparison, than suddenly they become legit.

The logic of fanboys moves in mysterious ways ... :)

Exactly this. MT and the rest should do nothing but promote DOMESTICS. FUKK the rest. By Domestics I mean GM and Ford

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Personally, I think the RS should have been more than it is for the price point.  In RS trim it looks great but for the price I think it needs to be higher performance than being just a warmed up crossover. 

The lower trims look like they came from rental lots.  I wish GM good luck with it but for example a three row MDX that is bigger, has larger and nicer interior is at least just as fast as RS and handles at least as good (compare the numbers).  It has a much better AWD system too, and starts at $44k.

Proof that it has a better AWD system.. and I want it now. Because the AWD system in the MDX is said to be the same as in the damn vehicle the Blazer just BEAT

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

What about Tesla? 

Forgot about them.. but they have some of their shares visibly owned by Daimler and Toyota.. so I don't know. Just know that I hate foreign. Tell every one I said its cool to down vote that too as well as the post where I cursed out a supposed old couple in a Ram 😂

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Proof that it has a better AWD system..

I really don't have to prove you anything, but while GM's twin-clutch system is somewhat similar to SH-AWD it needs to be activated while Acura's system is always on.  I think that is much better.

abe5fb90d2074c23b76be9bc1d0216fe_c106x0-

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, ykX said:

I really don't have to prove you anything, but while GM's twin-clutch system is somewhat similar to SH-AWD it needs to be activated while Acura's system is always on.  I think that is much better.

abe5fb90d2074c23b76be9bc1d0216fe_c106x0-

Of course U do..  and U did. Yay for me. i70mfl.jpg&key=4d853abb8ce436bc98d5e70f3

And I have to say again that CHOICE is always better.. I want things that can be turned off and on.. and so do many on these forums. Just start a conversation about Start/Stop and U'll see. So choice is better

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

36 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Proof that it has a better AWD system.. and I want it now. Because the AWD system in the MDX is said to be the same as in the damn vehicle the Blazer just BEAT

Not the same tuning apparently.

I agree that more options is always welcomed but it seems like an odd thing to make an option.

I don't know much about the GM system but does it default to on or off when you turn the vehicle on? Does it retain the setting for the next time you start the vehicle? 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I agree that more options is always welcomed but it seems like an odd thing to make an option.

I don't know much about the GM system but does it default to on or off when you turn the vehicle on? Does it retain the setting for the next time you start the vehicle? 

@Cmicasa the Great I have to agree that choice is always good. I used to say F*#K Start / Stop but just finished having a new 2019 XT5 on loan while my auto was in for service and the start / stop feature was bloody smooth compared to years earlier where it was very rough and noticeable. 

In regards to the GM AWD system, GM used to have a major ownership in Subaru and their AWD system was a clone of that up till bankruptcy. Not sure how much it has changed since then, but I can say that the AWD system is excellent. My pet peeve is that on the XT5 default is auto sense for basic FWD/AWD when slippage is detected. You can go into sport or luxury mode. I might just not know how to have it set for that as the new default, but after turning the car off it went back to the normal setting. Hopefully Cadillac will change this, I like AWD all the time.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Having the option is nice but if it does not save the setting for the next start, that would drive me nuts. 

I don't believe it saves it.  It is a fuel saving measure... you always start out in 2wd mode. 

• Agree 1

I would rather to have smart AWD system ALL the time than to save extra 1mpg.  It will be there when you have to do emergency maneuver, it will be there when weather changes, it will be there when you want to kick it at stop light. 

Most people will not even know how to use it when they need it.  I am ok when you have these modes on a real off road vehicles, but not on these crossovers.

Just MPO.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, ykX said:

I would rather to have smart AWD system ALL the time than to save extra 1mpg.  It will be there when you have to do emergency maneuver, it will be there when weather changes, it will be there when you want to kick it at stop light. 

Most people will not even know how to use it when they need it.  I am ok when you have these modes on a real off road vehicles, but not on these crossovers.

Just MPO.

I would agree. One thing I love about Subaru.

16 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Freedom of choice is an American  distinction....as are free markets. Without free markets, domestic products would become lame. Would you like a Cadillac CTS built on a Chevrolet Lumina platform with a 3 speed auto and three color choices?

I could care less what the rest of the country, or world does....or what they buy . 

16 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Freedom of choice is an American  distinction....as are free markets. Without free markets, domestic products would become lame. Would you like a Cadillac CTS built on a Chevrolet Lumina platform with a 3 speed auto and three color choices?

I could care less what the rest of the country, or world does....or what they buy . 

19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't believe it saves it.  It is a fuel saving measure... you always start out in 2wd mode. 

I get that they are trying to hit the MPG drum, but there should be a save option for those of us that do not care about being in 2wd mode all the time.

I think most people know that a smart AWD system will cost some fuel efficiency.

27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Hmmm.. I'm not a huge fan of it not saving the setting but it isn't the worst thing in the world. However, I think for most people buying these it should default to AWD. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ykX said:

Funny when MT and C&D criticizes Cadillac or GM vehicle or losses a comparison, than "they don't know $h!", "companies paid them".   But as soon as GM vehicle wins a comparison, than suddenly they become legit.

The logic of fanboys moves in mysterious ways ... :)

I honestly could not have said it better myself. We will just skip over the fact that they haven’t done a full comparison yet, where things like less cargo space (in the Blazer) will come to light. 

2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Forgot about them.. but they have some of their shares visibly owned by Daimler and Toyota.. so I don't know. Just know that I hate foreign. Tell every one I said its cool to down vote that too as well as the post where I cursed out a supposed old couple in a Ram 😂

Loves domestics which, I’m assuming, leaves out a considerable portion of Chinese made GMs. 

And I thought Wings was brand blind. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

And before someone gets their panties in a wad, understand this. I actually like the Blazer as far as looks goes. The fact that is a CUV would be a deal breaker for me in the end but it doesn’t take away from it’s intended purpose for everyone else. What cannot be ignored though are the intangibles like cargo space. The Blazer has pretty much the came amount of cargo space (actually less from what I’ve heard, maybe @Drew Dowdell can confirm this?) as the Equinox while being priced thousands more. Just not understanding it’s place in GMs lineup other than to just look different from the rest (which again, is what I like about it). The only thing it has over the Equinox is the 3.6L but that really isn’t saying much these days with more folks seemingly favoring turbo fours these days (not this guy btw). The Blazer is a solid double but it could have been a home run had GM put a little more into it (literally).

4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And before someone gets their panties in a wad, understand this. I actually like the Blazer as far as looks goes. The fact that is a CUV would be a deal breaker for me in the end but it doesn’t take away from it’s intended purpose for everyone else. What cannot be ignored though are the intangibles like cargo space. The Blazer has pretty much the came amount of cargo space (actually less from what I’ve heard, maybe @Drew Dowdell can confirm this?) as the Equinox while being priced thousands more. Just not understanding it’s place in GMs lineup other than to just look different from the rest (which again, is what I like about it). The only thing it has over the Equinox is the 3.6L but that really isn’t saying much these days with more folks seemingly favoring turbo fours these days (not this guy btw). The Blazer is a solid double but it could have been a home run had GM put a little more into it (literally).

Equinox:
Cargo behind 2nd row - 29.90 ft3
Cargo with 2nd row folded - 63.90 ft3

Blazer:
Cargo behind 2nd row - 30.50 ft3
Cargo with 2nd row folded - 64.20 ft3

Blazer is about .7 cubic foot bigger, which is nothing. 

22 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Loves domestics which, I’m assuming, leaves out a considerable portion of Chinese made GMs. . 

Only one China made GM these days... Buick Envision.  There were two, but the CT6 Plug-In was withdrawn from the US market. It remains on sale in China. 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Equinox:

Blazer:

Only one China made GM these days... Buick Envision.  There were two, but the CT6 Plug-In was withdrawn from the US market. It remains on sale in China. 

Thanks Drew and that proves my point about the Blazers place in Chevys lineup. It’s a pretty big price jump from the Nox to the Blazer and you only gain a whole foot of cargo space. 

And you are correct on the China front. My mistake but given that they even make one in China that is sold here should get certain folks fuming yet they are not. Fanboy “logic”, is my point here. 

Edited by surreal1272

21 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's remarkably hard to be a GM fanboy these days.  GM doesn't take risks anymore and even their conservative stuff is too conservative and plain. 

Here’s the crazy part though. The Blazer design shows at least an effort to make something unique in an otherwise homogenous CUV world. The rest, as you said though, is just a lot of “meh” and most of that sadly going towards Cadillac. To be fair, most makes are being way too conservative these days, probably due to the homogenous CUV “craze” which just seems to invite lazy/conservative choices. Kind of sad if you ask me. 

29 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Thanks Drew and that proves my point about the Blazers place in Chevys lineup. It’s a pretty big price jump from the Nox to the Blazer and you only gain a whole foot of cargo space. 

It would make sense if Blazer was purely performance "hot" crossover, the so called Camaro of crossovers.  It definitely has the looks, it would need to have higher level of performance to justify the price and its place in the lineup.  Also, should not have rental grade trims either.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

It would make sense if Blazer was purely performance "hot" crossover, the so called Camaro of crossovers.  It definitely has the looks, it would need to have higher level of performance to justify the price and its place in the lineup.  Also, should not have rental grade trims either.

Kind of my point. Here you have Cadillac and the bland look XT6 when they could have gone with a sportier look (and drive) and it’s the lower make Chevy that gets the sporty designed Blazer with really nice driving dynamics (if you believe early reviews). It’s a complete lack of solid direction on GMs part whic should not be happening. I just don’t get it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Equinox:

Blazer:

I feel like the Blazer cargo number is almost too awful to be true, way smaller than compacts like the CRV, RAV4, Rogue.. I wish reviewers would do box tests and actually try to fit in 1 cubic foot boxes into the cargo areas and see what happens.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, frogger said:

I feel like the Blazer cargo number is almost too awful to be true, way smaller than compacts like the CRV, RAV4, Rogue.. I wish reviewers would do box tests and actually try to fit in 1 cubic foot boxes into the cargo areas and see what happens.

Those numbers are from Chevrolet.com... but yes manufacturer numbers are often fudged.   @mkaresh has done some stories on them. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

I honestly could not have said it better myself. We will just skip over the fact that they haven’t done a full comparison yet, where things like less cargo space (in the Blazer) will come to light. 

Loves domestics which, I’m assuming, leaves out a considerable portion of Chinese made GMs. 

And I thought Wings was brand blind. 

Only one Chinese made GM vehicle currently on sale here in America.. so.. What the heck was your point again? Oh.. just trying to be sassy I guess. And if U see Wings.. tell him I said "*** U"

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Kind of my point. Here you have Cadillac and the bland look XT6 when they could have gone with a sportier look (and drive) and it’s the lower make Chevy that gets the sporty designed Blazer with really nice driving dynamics (if you believe early reviews). It’s a complete lack of solid direction on GMs part whic should not be happening. I just don’t get it. 

And U won't.. because Cadillac is a luxury brand.. and for some reason, just because the have the V designated vehicles people suddenly, by default, see them as a brand that has to have everything look like it should be on the track. The XT6 is hardly bland looking... In fact it actually is as exciting looking as anything coming out of the World's Ultimate Driving Machine.. So I'm wondering.. do U throw the same rhetoric and confusion on the Germans? Just mystified as to how the hell, or WHY, a big CUV needs to look like it goes around the Nur'Ring

maxresdefault.jpg2020-cadillac-xt6-103-1547353470.jpg?cro

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Only one Chinese made GM vehicle currently on sale here in America.. so.. What the heck was your point again? Oh.. just trying to be sassy I guess. And if U see Wings.. tell him I said "*** U"

...and the company he works for. Just because I have been more civil lately...really doesn't mean I have any real love for Ford.

3 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

And U won't.. because Cadillac is a luxury brand.. and for some reason, just because the have the V designated vehicles people suddenly, by default, see them as a brand that has to have everything look like it should be on the track. The XT6 is hardly bland looking... In fact it actually is as exciting looking as anything coming out of the World's Ultimate Driving Machine.. So I'm wondering.. do U throw the same rhetoric and confusion on the Germans? Just mystified as to how the hell, or WHY, a big CUV needs to look like it goes around the Nur'Ring

maxresdefault.jpg2020-cadillac-xt6-103-1547353470.jpg?cro

That BMW is hideous.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's remarkably hard to be a GM fanboy these days.  GM doesn't take risks anymore and even their conservative stuff is too conservative and plain. 

I am really starting to default back to European and Asian cars. GTR and 911 GT3 excite me as an enthusiast. 

Blazer is cool but in the end hard to see it as more than a tarted up Traverse.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ykX said:

Just MPO.

First off U like what U like.. I don't want to be devoid of choices in driving. I don't to except the fact that I can't turn it off when an option out there says I can. BTW.. U can turn the AWD system in the XT5 and Acadia while driving. It takes like a like a millisecond.. so where is the wait?

"Most people will not even know how to use it when they need it." 

So that's where the dumbing down of Americans is coming from?🤔

Sales people should explain it at purchase time.. or how about this.. buyers actually use their brains and find out about it from the manual or even this extremely convenient thing called Google or Utube(i70mfl.jpg&key=4d853abb8ce436bc98d5e70f3

I won;t even get into how your mentality had some MORON almost die in his Cadillac XLR because his battery apparently died and he was locked in the car because the door looks and handles are electric. He didn't realize that salvation was literally 6 inches away... a manual door release that is clearly shown in his manual. Fire Dept burst his window.. and he only had to pay for it being replaced instead of him DYING for being an idiot

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...and the company he works for. Just because I have been more civil lately...really doesn't mean I have any real love for Ford.

That BMW is hideous.

I am really starting to default back to European and Asian cars. GTR and 911 GT3 excite me as an enthusiast. 

Blazer is cool but in the end hard to see it as more than a tarted up Traverse.

While some cars have grabbed my attention, nothing long term yet and I will say I am very blah on GM products as well as everyone else. Blazer has so much potential and so much wasted. XT6 is nice but could have been so much more. RIght now I am really hoping for a proper execution on the Cadillac EV CUV.

If it was available today, it would be right there with the Rivian R1S if it was also available today. Right now just have to wait and see.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I corrected my statement after Drew’s clarification so try and keep up next time. 

Oh and I don’t talk to lunatics so no thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i saw a red hot Blazer RS on the road the other day.  It is distinctive.  Too bad that person paid close to 50 geezels for it.  That's exactly why GM puffs up the MSRP.  The early adopter fanbois slip GM the 15 grand in profit so the cheap asses like me can wait till its priced 70% of MSRP.  Fine by me, let the fanbois pay.

At the autoshow last weekend was where i compared Equinox and Blazer side by side for space, there is not much usable space difference, which reflects bad on the Blazer.  If you want a v6, you get the Blazer.  If cargo area is a big concern, they want to push you from the Mexican made Blazer to the 'we want to sell as many as we can' Traverse.  It's like some product planning person at GM wrote an algorith to determine exactly what size down from the Traverse needed to be to sell just enough to occupy a Mexican plant, but sell at a price close to the Traverse.  And be that choice that Equinox doubters could move up to with a bit more money.

Actually comparing the Blazer and then looking at the Acadia with the two rear seats folded, the Acadia is a better choice than the Blazer if cargo is your thing....which again is probably intentional by GM.  The more upright shape does help a bit with real cargo usefulness.  

If you want an Acadia, and are comparing the Blazer, get a 2019 Acadia, BIG DISCOUNTS, CHEAP LEASES, and before they switch to the stupid pushbutton shifter in 2020 (and grille change).  You can probably land a sweet Acadia Denali or SLT for a killer deal and have a more useful vehicle than the Blazer, fashion be damned.

2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Next time get it right in the first place. Pathetic

Next time, grow up fanboy. Don’t act like you haven’t been wrong on here. I admitted my mistake. Try saying something constructive for once instead of being a dick in retaliation to any criticism of your pet brand. That is what’s “pathetic”. One car or three (like it was just a year ago), it doesn’t change the fact that you pretty much have given GM a free pass on the import and foreign sourcing of their cars (we won;t even get into the Mexico made product) while bemoaning others of doing the exact same thing, whether its’ being guilty of simply being a foreign make, foreign owned, or just plain old foreign. That is all I am going to say about that because, like I said earlier, I don’t talk to lunatics and you are starting to act like one.

Oh and a CUV can be sporty AND luxurious at the same time. If it can be done with a sedan (i.e. CTS-V), then it can be done on a CUV. Porsche seems to have no problem covering both ends of the luxury/sport market so I’m pretty sure Cadillac can do it as well. Your deflection doesn’t change that fact.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1