Jump to content
Drew Dowdell

Chevrolet News:Chevy Removing Blazer Display After Backlash

Recommended Posts

In some ways, old-school General Motors is still around.  This time it is over the tone-deafness of placing a Mexican built product on display at Comerica Park in Detroit just months after announcing the shutdown of GM two plants in Michigan

GM said in a statement that it picked the Blazer, along with the Silverado, for display because the vehicle is brand new and the Blazer is an iconic American nameplate.  However, people are upset with GM for the pick of a Mexican built vehicle when two plants in Michigan,  Warren and Detroit-Hamtramck will be closing and thousands of jobs will be lost.

Now, just days after being installed over centerfield at the park, GM is quietly swapping the Blazer out with a new Chevrolet Traverse at the park fountain. GM said they wanted fans to enjoy baseball without the distraction and further added that the Blazer will add $500 million a year to the U.S. manufacturing economy. 

GM recently announced a $300 million upgrade to the Orion Assembly plant and the addition of a new Chevrolet EV just says after Trump criticized General Motors and Mary Barra for closing the Lordstown Ohio plant


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well not a lot is made in the USA.  Chevy is no more American than Honda or Toyota at this point.  

If Michigan is unhappy about GM closing factories they should look for other things to manufacture.  Build solar panels or windmills in those old factories. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Well not a lot is made in the USA.  Chevy is no more American than Honda or Toyota at this point.  

If Michigan is unhappy about GM closing factories they should look for other things to manufacture.  Build solar panels or windmills in those old factories. 

Ohio needs to do the same.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I do agree, a bit of tone deafness on GM's part here, however, Michigan does need to eventually 'get' the global marketplace and quite honestly they are damn lucky GM is still in business, and still has HQ in Michigan.  Michigan is not owed factories nor is Ohio by any birthright.  It's cutthroat out there, 'foreign' manufacturers have all sorts of plants in many other places in the US and still manage to increase sales and market share and pay those US workers.  Move to where those plants are if you want to work in an auto plant.  Keep in mind all these plant closures are the first shot over the bow in union negotiation and studying the possibility of moving more production overseas.  I am sure GM has it mapped out for the future to bring many more vehicles from China.  Mary's GM needs to get a ducking clue, a lot of people want to buy GM because (in the past) a lot of stuff was made here and they want to buy American assembled.  There is no good reason vehicles like the Blazer and Silverado should be made in Mexico.  Cruze, sure.  

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, regfootball said:

I do agree, a bit of tone deafness on GM's part here, however, Michigan does need to eventually 'get' the global marketplace and quite honestly they are damn lucky GM is still in business, and still has HQ in Michigan.  Michigan is not owed factories nor is Ohio by any birthright.  It's cutthroat out there, 'foreign' manufacturers have all sorts of plants in many other places in the US and still manage to increase sales and market share and pay those US workers.  Move to where those plants are if you want to work in an auto plant.  Keep in mind all these plant closures are the first shot over the bow in union negotiation and studying the possibility of moving more production overseas.  I am sure GM has it mapped out for the future to bring many more vehicles from China.  Mary's GM needs to get a ducking clue, a lot of people want to buy GM because (in the past) a lot of stuff was made here and they want to buy American assembled.  There is no good reason vehicles like the Blazer and Silverado should be made in Mexico.  Cruze, sure.  

In the pursuit of profit, GM will do whatever it takes to maximize profits, regardless of sentiment in the Midwest or elsewhere in this republic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kindly put, Michigan is turning into the shiittehole nobody wants anyway....and they have yet to make Detroit anything better.....

The UAW is in for a surprise this time....they no longer get to choose the terms. Ford steps up first, and will have a few surprises up their sleeves. GM could easlily move more production to Mexico...as could FCA. And none of the 3 are worried about pissing Trump off either. Should be an interesting summer...

 

As far as the Blazer is concerned, and going to dud a bit until GM gets a clue about pricing. With the economy slumping and Wall Street grabbing oil barrels by the balls, GM just might regret cutting the Cruze out.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think part of ditching the Cruze is, I bet the next trax will sell in way higher volumes and be imported 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, regfootball said:

I think part of ditching the Cruze is, I bet the next trax will sell in way higher volumes and be imported 

Following the money, it would be no surprise if the Trax effectively replaced the Cruze.  One question: which CUV replaces the Chevy Sonic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Following the money, it would be no surprise if the Trax effectively replaced the Cruze.  One question: which CUV replaces the Chevy Sonic?

Well the current Trax and Sonic are on the same platform.  I don't see the Trax going lower in price for the next round... it is already $31k fully loaded, and starts at about $19k before GM's ubiquitous incentives.  They will need something cheaper than Trax at the entry level... Spark Activ seems like a non-starter so far though, at around $17.8k to start (have not seen ONE on the road here, anecdotally).  Anything electric will be uber expensive and far above what they have out now.  Entry level buyers are SOL and are being steered toward the used car market, which turns the entry level market into a free-for-all, because used car buyers are less picky about brand than new car buyers (stands to reason).  And GM is not alone in this heinous development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Following the money, it would be no surprise if the Trax effectively replaced the Cruze.  One question: which CUV replaces the Chevy Sonic?

Few are longing for the Sonic to be replaced, although I get the gist of your question.......

I don't think the Sonic is officially dead yet, either?

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Well the current Trax and Sonic are on the same platform.  I don't see the Trax going lower in price for the next round... it is already $31k fully loaded, and starts at about $19k before GM's ubiquitous incentives.  They will need something cheaper than Trax at the entry level... Spark Activ seems like a non-starter so far though, at around $17.8k to start (have not seen ONE on the road here, anecdotally).  Anything electric will be uber expensive and far above what they have out now.  Entry level buyers are SOL and are being steered toward the used car market, which turns the entry level market into a free-for-all, because used car buyers are less picky about brand than new car buyers (stands to reason).  And GM is not alone in this heinous development.

No possible way to sell something smaller than the current Trax and have it be appealing as a volume model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That one kid, Hyundai, is doing it with the Venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Following the money, it would be no surprise if the Trax effectively replaced the Cruze.  One question: which CUV replaces the Chevy Sonic?

A new SUV called the SubTraxx.  

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By Drew Dowdell
      Chevrolet has announced that for 2020, the Chevrolet Bolt will have a longer range between charges. The new maximum range on a full charge is now 259, a 21 mile increase over previous year cars. 
      Chevy achieved this by making a small change in the battery cell chemistry. This allowed the team to increase range without changing the structure of the battery pack. The change increases the battery pack's capacity from 60 kWh to 66 kWh.  The drivetrain itself has not changed and remains a 200 horsepower / 266 lb-ft unit. 
      Chevy is also offering two additional colors for 2020, Cayenne Orange Metallic (additional cost option) and Oasis Blue.
       

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Chevrolet has announced that for 2020, the Chevrolet Bolt will have a longer range between charges. The new maximum range on a full charge is now 259, a 21 mile increase over previous year cars. 
      Chevy achieved this by making a small change in the battery cell chemistry. This allowed the team to increase range without changing the structure of the battery pack. The change increases the battery pack's capacity from 60 kWh to 66 kWh.  The drivetrain itself has not changed and remains a 200 horsepower / 266 lb-ft unit. 
      Chevy is also offering two additional colors for 2020, Cayenne Orange Metallic (additional cost option) and Oasis Blue.
       
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Chevy released the pricing information on the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray today, keeping its promise of a sub-$60k price.  Pricing rings up at $59,995 including destination charge for the 1LT trim.  The Corvette comes standard with an eight-speed dual clutch transmission and an engine mounted dry sump oil system.
      The 2LT  will start at $67,295 and adds things like a full color heads-up display, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, performance data recorder, navigation,  side blind zone alert, and rear cross traffic alert. 
      The 3LT will start at $71,945, and builds on the 2LT with GT2 Seating with Napa and Mulan leather, custom leather-wrapped interior, suede-wrapped upper interior trim, and leather wrapped door panels. 
      The price of the Z51 Performance package remains the same at $5,000 and includes performance exhaust, performance suspension, electronic limited-slip differential, front air splitter, rear spoiler, larger brakes with Brembo four-piston calipers, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires, and an enhanced cooling system. 
      Customers can forgo the Z51 package and still get the performance exhaust for $1,195. This will boost the performance of the LT2 engine to 495 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque.  The front suspension lift system is optional on 2LT and 3LT trims for $1,495. 
      Customers will be able to personalize their Corvette with 12 different exterior colors, 6 interior color themes, six seat belt colors, two stitching packages, and three seat choices. 
      Capable of a top speed of 194 MPH on the track, the Corvette goes into production in Bowling Green, KY later in 2019.


      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Chevy released the pricing information on the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray today, keeping its promise of a sub-$60k price.  Pricing rings up at $59,995 including destination charge for the 1LT trim.  The Corvette comes standard with an eight-speed dual clutch transmission and an engine mounted dry sump oil system.
      The 2LT  will start at $67,295 and adds things like a full color heads-up display, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, performance data recorder, navigation,  side blind zone alert, and rear cross traffic alert. 
      The 3LT will start at $71,945, and builds on the 2LT with GT2 Seating with Napa and Mulan leather, custom leather-wrapped interior, suede-wrapped upper interior trim, and leather wrapped door panels. 
      The price of the Z51 Performance package remains the same at $5,000 and includes performance exhaust, performance suspension, electronic limited-slip differential, front air splitter, rear spoiler, larger brakes with Brembo four-piston calipers, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires, and an enhanced cooling system. 
      Customers can forgo the Z51 package and still get the performance exhaust for $1,195. This will boost the performance of the LT2 engine to 495 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque.  The front suspension lift system is optional on 2LT and 3LT trims for $1,495. 
      Customers will be able to personalize their Corvette with 12 different exterior colors, 6 interior color themes, six seat belt colors, two stitching packages, and three seat choices. 
      Capable of a top speed of 194 MPH on the track, the Corvette goes into production in Bowling Green, KY later in 2019.

    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford and GM, the U.S.'s top two auto manufacturers are bracing themselves for the worst.  They have been running economic modeling to determin the steps they would take given a medium or severe recession in the US and across global markets.  General Motors has a stockpile of $18 billion in cash while Ford has $20 billion saved up.
      GM is relying on deferring non-essential capital expenditures and a shift in production to lower cost vehicles as part of its plan to save costs in the event of a a strong downturn.  Ford says is is evaluating its future moves. 
      Fears of a recession have plagued Wall St. most of 2019 while a trade war with China rages on.  Higher costs of materials due to tariffs is adding to the pain of weak product demand in the U.S., China, and Europe.  In Germany, Europe's biggest economy, growth shrank by 0.1 percent in Q2 2019 as trade conflicts and auto industry troubles weighed heavily on the economy.  Both exports and lagging demand at home have put a strain on German automakers already looking to slash costs. 
      Today, a strong signal that a recession is looming appeared as the 10-year treasury yield dropped below the 2-year treasury yield while do Dow Jones Industrial Average sank over 450 points.  
      Related:
      Honda Slowing Production, Cutting Shifts
      Nissan Profit Plunges 99%; 12,500 Job Cuts Eminent
      Ford Europe Laying Off Another 12,000
      Daimler Books First Quarterly Loss in Ten Years

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...