BMW News: BMW's M Division Might Get Bespoke Model

Drew Dowdell

BMW is studying ways to give its performance M-Division special models not based on any current or former BMW.   BMW has already apparently decided which class of car the models will be in, but will not reveal details on it just yet.  Multiple concepts are being studied. 

The comments came from Markus Flasch, BMW's head of in-house tuning.  Further up for debate is whether the models would be internal combustion or electric or a blend of both. Whichever form they take, the M cars would "fit our character.... a combination of precision, agility, and luxury", though they would not necessarily be positioned above the M8.

Having standalone models would help BMW's M-Division better compete with Mercedes-Benz AMG

View full article

BMW could Hand AMG their Ass if they focused on using Carbon Fiber for ultra light Driving Machines of unique design / style that use EV powertrains to maximize the driving experience with full Torque from Zero. 

This could work as a business model for something very special out of BMW.

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

BMW could Hand AMG their Ass if they focused on using Carbon Fiber for ultra light Driving Machines of unique design / style that use EV powertrains to maximize the driving experience with full Torque from Zero. 

This could work as a business model for something very special out of BMW.

It would be a good idea, but BMW is a bit more concerned with "Grand Coupes" rather than making actual sports cars.  And look at how heavy a 3-series or 5-series have become, which is all cars but still.  And their next vehicle is an X8 coupe, another behemoth vehicle.  

They should probably do a hyper SUV called X-ONE M  and make that a carbon fiber SUV under 4,000 lbs that has 700 hp with a 200+ mph top speed.  The sports car market is flooded and those guys are moving into SUVs, BMW should go in there before that is too late and there is no AMG in that market yet.

Edited by smk4565

10 hours ago, smk4565 said:

They should probably do a hyper SUV called X-ONE M  and make that a carbon fiber SUV under 4,000 lbs that has 700 hp with a 200+ mph top speed.  The sports car market is flooded and those guys are moving into SUVs, BMW should go in there before that is too late and there is no AMG in that market yet.

Also no reason to not build a super lite performance drivers car for the existing section where AMG is to take the crown back again.

To build passion into an automobile, internal combustion power is an absolute must.  There needs to be fire in the soul for any type of real emotional connection to the car.  This is what I believe.

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

To build passion into an automobile, internal combustion power is an absolute must.  There needs to be fire in the soul for any type of real emotional connection to the car.  This is what I believe.

If we are going to take this literally, a vehicle is an inanimate object. Therefore passion is non-existent by definition.

So...literally speaking...if one wants emotion for his/her transportation, then a horse or donkey or camel is the only way to go...

If...we are going to humanize inanimate objects...then it doesnt really matter what we find passionate.

We get it, you dont like electric power for whatever dumb ass reason...

And I respect your stance on you not finding electric power passionate...

But Tesla owners ARE passionate about their cars...so you maybe, for you and you only, electric cars are not passionate, 

15 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

To build passion into an automobile, internal combustion power is an absolute must.

That statement is false...in more than one way...

So down vote this post to your heart's content and tell me there are too many words in it for you to read and understand...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I blacked out when I got this far into it.

At least you got that far....

Question is...

Did.  You.   u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d ?

Maybe I should write in the style of Dr Seuss for you?

To keep you happy and focused? 

Edited by oldshurst442

OK...

About this bespoke M car from BMW.

This car came to mind

Image result for bmw m1

I dont think a bespoke M car will revive the fire of M cars.

I think BMW did too many M versions of CUVs and SUVs that watered down the image.  I think their 5 Series and 3 Series cars became tooo bloated for the M version of those to actually mean something also...

Add to the fact that the generations of folk that bought vehicles AFTER the 1990s dont care for performance and what you got now is an M brand down in the dumps...

Good luck BMW, but you wanted to sell Sports Activity Vehicles to peoples...and forgot what got you great in the first place.

Oh well...

I also like the 2 Series. 

Strangely enough, I like it because its the only BMW currently for sale that captures what BMW is was  all about.  I was never a fan of the BMW experience  but it seems I always go against the grain with what is popular for BMW.  I always like the opposite of what BMW produces that is popular  for the most part.  

• Agree 1

@ocnblu Hopefully a rhyme you will understand.

ICE, EV Conflicted are We?

Cars, Trucks, everything cost Bucks!

Future, Current, Past, do not become last!

Strange is what happens when one does not Change!

Fear not Brigadier, for we still love ya here!

42 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Plus I see no palpable reason to change when something works

ICE no longer works for reasons that you will never want to admit too.

And if you analyze in hindsight...what horses can do...a little manure on the street is preferable than all the shyte that comes out of that tailpipe, regardless of how far and clean gasoline engines have become for 2019...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Confused 1

I guess climate change is not real. 

OK...climate change IS real, but NOT because of humanity...because the history of the planet tells us that its just a normal part of the Earth's life cycle

I guess its foolish to think that humans could  influence millions of years of Earth's evolution...

But then again...humans could actually create life...the way Earth created life millions of years ago...and it only took humans a mere 10 000 years to accomplish that...so yeah...its foolish to think that humans could interfere with Earth's life cycles...(sarcasm) 

EVs...are just a part of a solution that humans think is the right thing to do...with the information we have today.

JUST like how we used to kill whales for their blubber to make oil to heat our houses and we saw that this was not a good solution to keeping us warm when we discovered oil...

NOW...oil is becoming the focus so we do NOT extinct ourselves...

JUST like how we used to use paper bags for our groceries and saw that we are killing our forests...we banned that practice for plastic, but now was saw that THAT solution is not good, se we are reverting back to...paper...

And THAT last one seems like a good argument for oil usage for our cars...but...

ICE pollutes...

Whether we like it or not...

ICE pollutes...

There is no:

^ Oh come on.

We gotta find a BETTER solution for our transportation needs...

16 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

ICE no longer works for reasons that you will never want to admit too.

I stand by that comment whether anyone wants to agree with it or not...

But...I got Los Angeles, Beijing, Athens, London on my side...

SMOG from ICE...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.wheels.ca/news/jay-leno-auto-collection/

“When I was a kid, you put a big V8 or a Corvette engine or something in a ’32 Ford and now kids are starting to do electric hot-rodding. When I was a kid, everybody knew something about a car. Now, you have a lot of kids who don’t know anything. The ones that do, though, know everything. It’s amazing how smart they are. They’re still making the car go faster but it’s an electric engine instead of an internal-combustion engine.”

Which doesn’t bother Leno at all.

“I think electrification is going very well,” he said. “It’s a natural extension of what’s been happening. I mean, I’m one of those people who believes that engineers will save the world. When I came to Los Angeles in the 1970s, there were 160 days a year when they told you not to go outside because the pollution was so bad. Now, here it is 40 years later, you have easily five to 10 times the number of cars with less than a tenth of the pollution.

“I mean, it’s not the cleanest air in the world, obviously, but it’s way better, and we don’t have smog days anymore when they tell you not to go outside and not to exercise. I mean, it’s all good.”

A car guy...JAY LENO...

HE sees it...

HE tells it like it is...

THERE IS A MESSAGE in that little paragragh. SEVERAL messages...its up to you guys to figure it out...

But the message is LOUD and CLEAR to what I JUST SAID and Jay Leno backs me up!!!  In fact....Jay Leno made me realize it.... 

Him and others...

No politician....no whack job scientist for or against climate change...

But real deal people that have an idea of what is going on...

Some of those are car guys, some of them are scientists with no clear bias...for and against climate change...because I listen to all...but these guys I listen to ONLY present the facts...NOT their opinions...

And its easy for me to figure out...because I am informed...

But hey...

lets continue the way we are going...nothing bad could happen, right? 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

When I came to Los Angeles in the 1970s, there were 160 days a year when they told you not to go outside because the pollution was so bad. Now, here it is 40 years later, you have easily five to 10 times the number of cars with less than a tenth of the pollution.

Are you saying Jay Leno is claiming zero-emission cars (7% of sales by volume in CA if you also include hybrid sales) did all that air quality improvement over 40 years time?

ICE no longer works

What percentage of Jay Leno's vehicles are zero emission again?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Are you saying Jay Leno is claiming zero-emission cars (7% of sales by volume in CA if you also include hybrid sales) did all that air quality improvement over 40 years time?

Is that the message you got from that?

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yeah...I figured as much...

I give him a little bit of rope, at least he figured out I used a Dr. Seuss style of making a poem for him. :P 

25 minutes ago, balthazar said:

He also said he believes Engineers will fix it all, so we engineers can fix the problems that we created.

Like him I love my ICE auto's, but I also know for a fact there is a better way to get around and EVs are better than ICE, distance, weight and size of the battery packs will change over time as we design and create denser power packs that charge faster and take less maintenance than todays auto's.

Already the difference between the EVs on the road and Ice today is huge in terms of cost of maintenance and cost of operation.

22 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Is that the message you got from that?

It's one of them. Did you not state that IC is no longer viable and Jay Leno backs you up/realizes that? Why quote him talking about the tremendous air quality improvements in CA if it was IC vehicles that made that improvement, not zero emission ones? [limiting this to just vehicles].

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Already the difference between the EVs on the road and Ice today is huge in terms of cost of maintenance and cost of operation.

Of course it is; the majority of EVs on the road are tremendously more expensive than IC vehicles. 

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It's one of them. Did you not state that IC is no longer viable and Jay Leno backs you up/realizes that? Why quote him talking about the tremendous air quality improvements in CA if it was IC vehicles that made that improvement, not zero emission ones? [limiting this to just vehicles].

Wrong answer.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1. When I was a kid, you put a big V8 or a Corvette engine or something in a ’32 Ford and now kids are starting to do electric hot-rodding.

They’re still making the car go faster but it’s an electric engine instead of an internal-combustion engine.

I think electrification is going very well,” he said. “It’s a natural extension of what’s been happening

2.  When I came to Los Angeles in the 1970s, there were 160 days a year when they told you not to go outside because the pollution was so bad. Now, here it is 40 years later, you have easily five to 10 times the number of cars with less than a tenth of the pollution.

“I mean, it’s not the cleanest air in the world, obviously, but it’s way better, and we don’t have smog days anymore when they tell you not to go outside and not to exercise. I mean, it’s all good.

mean, I’m one of those people who believes that engineers will save the world

While yes...when you want to close your eyes and ears to a future NOT involving EVs...then yeah...you could say that engineers and politicians with CAFE standards have GREATLY reduced the smog in Los Angeles...and its the ICE vehicle that did that...so therefore...you discredit by saying stuff like this:

Did you not state that IC is no longer viable and Jay Leno backs you up/realizes that? Why quote him talking about the tremendous air quality improvements in CA if it was IC vehicles that made that improvement, not zero emission ones?

Because...even in your own post....you even mention it...not realizing it what you just said...

not zero emission ones

ZERO EMISSION ones...

ZERO EMISSION...

THIS is how I made MY connection with engineers and saving the planet and EVs...

And I think THIS is where HE was going with it too...

Everything else is dis-ingenuousness...

Including if we think that ICE is the way to go for our future going forward in NOT polluiting our planet even further...

Yes...no matter what humans do...we will always pollute...

But the goal is to reduce our footprint...

YOU said it yourself

ZERO EMISSION...

Yes...yes...

Batteries are not all that clean. They are cleaner than the gases that ICE vehicles spew...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1