Lincoln News: Lincoln Aviator Adaptive Suspension Can Read the Road Ahead

The new Lincoln Aviator will be introducing an Adaptive Suspension with Road Preview that uses the forward camera to sense potholes in the road and adjusts the suspension to minimize the impact felt in the cabin.   The system uses 12 sensors to monitor vehicle conditions like vehicle motion, body movement, steering input, acceleration, and braking. The sensors read at 500 times per second and can make adjustments 100 times per second, this totals out to 23,000 inputs per second of data. The system can operate each wheel independently. Lincoln developed the entire system in-house.

Additionally, in a nod to the air sprung Lincolns of the past, there will be an available Air Glide Suspension which replaces the coil springs with guided air springs, enabling the Aviator to ride at several ride heights.  Over 70 mph, the Aviator lowers to Aero height for the best in efficiency and performance.  

The Lincoln Aviator arrives in dealerships summer of 2019.

View full article

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Very cool, this will be an interesting comparison of Lincolns Air Glide system to Cadillacs Magna Ride system.

Airglide is meant to be soft and get softer when the road is rough. Magnaride is fairly stiff and gets stiffer when you want it to handle sharp. 

Two different beasts

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, ykX said:

I think that system where it looks ahead and adjust suspension for more comfort was first introduced on the S-class.  I guess pretty neat feature for luxury vehicles. 

I think you're right, but I think the MB used LIDAR while this uses Camera.  Functionally, no different. 

Interesting in rewatching this video, so I wonder if the airbags are like those found on semi-trucks, firestone airbags? Also the fact that the shocks stiffen up tends to make me think Magnaride, so you have both firm ride for spirited driving and minimal body roll and yet airbagged to give a lazy boy comfort of absorbing the road imperfections. 

Very excited to have this come out and try it. Surprised it is coming out first on the Aviator and not the Navigator.

Will be interesting to see how Cadillac responds to this.

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Interesting in rewatching this video, so I wonder if the airbags are like those found on semi-trucks, firestone airbags? Also the fact that the shocks stiffen up tends to make me think Magnaride, so you have both firm ride for spirited driving and minimal body roll and yet airbagged to give a lazy boy comfort of absorbing the road imperfections. 

Very excited to have this come out and try it. Surprised it is coming out first on the Aviator and not the Navigator.

Will be interesting to see how Cadillac responds to this.

They already did.... with a lazy entry into the segment of the XT6

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They already did.... with a lazy entry into the segment of the XT6

Guess when I test drove it last friday, the impact was not there as the XT6 rode like any other coil / shock auto. Was not impressive to me of a luxury isolate the world ride. Thanks for the info.

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I like that Lincoln is going back to air suspension at least on this vehicle if not others also. One of the things I liked most about my '85 Continental was the air ride. 

Consider one as a replacement for the Buick?

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Consider one as a replacement for the Buick?

I don't buy new anymore, so there would be at least one interim vehicle before an Aviator.  At the moment, I'm browsing used S-Classes, but like the CT6, I don't know if I can get one in my driveway. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't buy new anymore, so there would be at least one interim vehicle before an Aviator.  At the moment, I'm browsing used S-Classes, but like the CT6, I don't know if I can get one in my driveway. 

Sounds like a fun test drive is coming up. :) 

24 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Na, not yet. Not till my rental property sells. 

I could go with a CLS though, I'm pretty sure that has a shorter wheelbase 

Me thinking you sell both properties and buy a new house with your CT6. :P 

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think you're right, but I think the MB used LIDAR while this uses Camera.  Functionally, no different. 

The S-class uses a camera also, the LIDAR is for the semi-autonomous drive functions I believe.     

I think it is smart for Lincoln to go the predictive air suspension route.  Ride comfort should be what Lincoln is chasing.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Na, not yet. Not till my rental property sells. 

I could go with a CLS though, I'm pretty sure that has a shorter wheelbase 

It should be identical to an E-class, I believe they run the same wheelbase, and front and rear track, same wheel lug patterns, etc.

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

It should be identical to an E-class, I believe they run the same wheelbase, and front and rear track, same wheel lug patterns, etc.

Yeah, but I like the CLS better.  The E-Class just looks like airport black-car service to me (since I usually buy in black). 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

While not a fan, I would agree with both @Drew Dowdell and @ccap41 Why would anyone really want a European Taxi in their driveway when they can have a classier looking CLS.

Because the coupe-like design really cuts down head room by a lot.  Coupe-like sedans are bad; coupe-like crossovers are even worse.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Because the coupe-like design really cuts down head room by a lot.  Coupe-like sedans are bad; coupe-like crossovers are even worse.

I'd really prefer a coupe, but it's not practical, besides, I have my Toronado for a true coupe. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

CLS is way better looking than the E Class. 

Gen 1 and 2 are for sure but that current CLS looks ugly, the E53 sedan looks better and the E-class coupe with no B pillar looks best 

48 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd really prefer a coupe, but it's not practical, besides, I have my Toronado for a true coupe. 

The current e-class coupe is not a C-class chassis like the old one, I think rear seat room is decent in them.  

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Gen 1 and 2 are for sure but that current CLS looks ugly, the E53 sedan looks better and the E-class coupe with no B pillar looks best 

The current e-class coupe is not a C-class chassis like the old one, I think rear seat room is decent in them.  

Getting old, semi-handicapped people into the second row of a true coupe is going to be too difficult. 

I'd probably aim for a '16 or '17, preferably a CLS550 with Distronic+

But none of that matters until I get a nice phone call from my real estate broker. 

18 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

So somebody who is 6'6" can have their head on their shoulders while they sit in the back. 

For me it is more like removing my head and holding it in my lap! :P 

For everyone that is not vertically in the clouds like me, the CLS is a nice looking car and if it fits your desires, go for it. :) 

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Getting old, semi-handicapped people into the second row of a true coupe is going to be too difficult. 

I'd probably aim for a '16 or '17, preferably a CLS550 with Distronic+

But none of that matters until I get a nice phone call from my real estate broker. 

The Gen 2 CLS is a slick looking car, and the bi-turbo V8 that they took away from the E-class.  That would be near the front of my shopping list also, but I am thinking of a '17 SL550 in a couple years the post re-fresh looks better than the 2013-2016 and I can't afford a post refresh SL.