Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

This does reinforce that electrification will happen and faster than many realize. As such, imagine the market share Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha will take with a battery swap program in the US. Buy the bike you like and know that you can stop at any of these dealers for a battery swap or any other batter swap location as your making your Bike road trip.

Such a nice concept, be interesting to see how they actually implement it.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Swapping batteries, sounds oh so slightly more of a pain in the @ss than filling up at a gas station on a road trip. 

lots of whining?

Dude, I have never remotely been to Taiwan. I dont order from Door Dash or Amazon.  I dont even use the self serve counter lanes at the grocery store nor do I use the self serve menu at McDonald's. 

But Im quite adept with technology and inserting my visa card in receptacles and I could change my propane gas tank on my BBQ once in while and when I clicked on that link and saw and read how things are done...I dont even Bixie

PDF) Evaluating bikesharing service quality: a case study for BIXI, Montreal

and yet Im sure I could do this ease...

Did you even click on the link or are you THAT skeptical on how easy it is to do so?

200 000 battery swaps per day it says. 95% of all scooter owners in Taiwan use the system.  Or are you that in dis-belief that in other parts of the world, folk actually do just fine without being soooooo cuddled... 

I mean, are you THAT cuddled?  

Like seriously...

Like how many phoquing road trips are YOU taking...on a phoquing scooter...for phoques sake???!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Last week the UK changed their government incentive to buy EV's from allowing any EV to qualify to any EV priced at £35,000 and below. Tesla imediatly saw the loss of what was a £3,000 incentive which is now £2,500 incentive with the new lower auto price.

Government scraps Plug-In Car Grant for EVs costing more than £35k (motor1.com)

As such while Tesla has refused to change pricing, seems Vauxhall and Citroen have decided selling more EVs is more important than a higher price and cut prices so that their product line of EVs now is eligible for the incentives.

Mokka-e line of EVs.

image.png

Vivaro-e line of EV vans.

image.png

To quote Vaushall Director of sales Paul Wilcox “At Vauxhall, we believe in making sure our vehicles are as accessible as possible to the greatest number of people, and especially so when it comes to zero emissions-in-use motoring,” said Vauxhall’s managing director, Paul Wilcox. “So I am pleased to confirm that all Corsa-e, all Mokka-e and the new Vivaro-e Life Combi are eligible for the government Plug-In Car Grant.”

Vauxhall Tweaks Pricing To Remain Eligible For UK's Plug In Car Grant (insideevs.com)

Is it me, 🤔 Or does the Mokka-e look like an AMC Eagle?

image.png

I guess you can say that BMW has also copied what AMC Eagle did.

Jeep has announced that this spring they will start a build out of Jeep charging stations at or near off road trail heads for free use by Jeep owners of their plug-in Hybrids and EV wranglers, Gladiators, and future product.

image.png

While the charging stations will be connected to the electrical grid, they will also have solar roofs to help be as green as possible.

image.png

image.png

The first two places that are already identified and to quote the article: Moab (UT), the Rubicon Trail in Pollock Pines (CA), and Big Bear (CA) will be the first off-road sites to get the charging stations this Spring. More locations are planned to be operational by the end of the year, Jeep will announce those locations at a later date.

Jeep Is Building A Charging Network For The Wrangler 4xe At Off-Road Trails (optional title) (insideevs.com)

EV Lifestyle is the future.

• Like 1

New Flyer public electrical buses have logged over 4.5 million miles to date on Generation 1 and 2 buses. New Flyer announced Generation 3 that are lighter, more efficient and longer range electric buses over previous generations.

image.png

The key updates are as follows:

• New Generation battery packs extend range 13%
  • Electric drive system is capable of 90% energy recovery
  • New 90% fewer parts compared to previous generation on battery packaging
  • Generation 3 powertrain is 69% less weight than previous gen 1 & 2

Charged EVs | New Flyer unveils lighter, more efficient, longer-range electric bus - Charged EVs

2022 Bolt EUV is a Winner based on auto journalist reviews.

Seems the Bolt EUV is the pick by auto journalist if you want a spirited ride with room for passengers and cargo in a sub-compact size. The Bolt EUV is only 2.9 inches longer between the wheels and 6.3 inches longer over all compared to the standard Bolt. Yet this gets you 3.1 inches of additional leg room in the back seat from 36 inches to 39.1 inches giving the Bolt EUV class leading interior room for the sub-compact class and challenging many compacts as well for rear seat room.

While some journalist nitpick over thigh support, additional air vents, etc. over all everyone seems to be in agreement that the backseat is the rare seat of comfort for full size adults on long road trips.

The Bolt and Bolt EUV use the existing power train which has 200 HP and 266 lb-ft of Torque from a 65 kWh Lithium-ion battery pack of 288 cells in a FWD configuration. Yes almost every one of these reviews wishes that an AWD option was available and some even wonder if it might not come due to the amount of space available between the rear wheels.

Bolt EV gets 259 miles of range, Bolt EUV EV gets 250 miles of range. Best thing is for the 9 miles of less range, the interior comfort of the Bolt EUV is well liked by all.

2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Review (jdpower.com)

2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV First Drive Review: Larger, Better, Faster, Stronger | News | Cars.com

2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Test Drive And Review: Newer, Bigger, Better? (forbes.com)

2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Review - Autotrader

2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Is a Better Bolt: Review (roadandtrack.com)

2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Review, Pricing, and Specs (caranddriver.com)

2022 Chevy Bolt EUV first drive review: Bigger, smarter and more affordable, too - Roadshow (cnet.com)

First drive review: 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV is a better Bolt (greencarreports.com)

The battery race has never slowed down, but the announcement of new battery designs going into production seems to be heating up. The race to remove the need for rare earth elements is heating up and results are bigger better battery cells that can recharge fast, faster power delivery, longer cycle life and safer.

Sion Power has announced their 17 Ah Lithium-metal rechargeable pouch cell. These new lithium-metal pouch cells contain twice the energy in the same size and weight batteries that competitors are building in traditional lithium-ion battery packs.

Sion Power has multiple third-party validation tests on going with auto and commercial vehicle OEMs. With production ramping up in Tucson Arisona home and headquarters for Sion Power, consumers both private and business will start to see new EV options using Sion Power battery packs soon.

image.png

Targeting Electric Vehicles with a Large Format 17 Ah, 400 Wh/kg Cell (sionpower.com)

Serbia's capital of Belgrade has announced a 5.2 billion Euro measure to reduce city green house gas and air pollution with an aggressive program to increase use of renewable energy which includes a new 111 MW wind farm and removing diesel from the city as Belgrade implements their 2030 plan.

This Plan is to electrify the whole municipal vehicle fleet, convert 40% of the city buses and 80% of the city taxis to EV's by 2030. The City has also made it clear to businesses and private owners of the changes which is 80% of all commercial vehicles will have to be electric by 2030 and 20% of private cars have to be EV.

Belgrade has not forgotten the pedestrian as they will invest 6.5 million Euros to build 493 km of new pedestrian and bike paths across the city and purchase 1,000 e-bikes with rental locations spread through out the city.

Charged EVs | Belgrade’s 5.2-billion-euro climate plan includes converting buses and taxis to EVs - Charged EVs

22 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What the current market share?

Good question, have no idea, but found the following from Wiki:

Serbia

As of September 2019, 148 EVs were registered. Serbia has a network of over 30 charging stations (including 5 that are solar powered & 2 Tesla Super Chargers) with more planned for construction. In 2020, Serbia introduced new purchase & tax incentives for EVs & Hybrids offering up to 5000 euros to help accelerate electrification. Serbia is also home to about 10% of global Lithium reserves, the mining & processing of which will be done in partnership with Rio Tinto who have committed $1.5 billion of investment in the country. The government is currently looking to utilize this resource to produce a major EV battery plant & Rio Tinto is helping locate a strategic partner for this venture.

Electric car use by country - Wikipedia

Sadly this is based on 2016, 2017 & 2019 info. Will be interesting to see if Belgrade can do this, get 20% of their private citizens to change to EVs.

Google says there's 2 million vehicles registered in Serbia. 148/2,000,000 is a market share of 0.00007%.  
As a fraction, that's 7 out of 10 million.

20% of 2 million is 400,000.

In order to get to 20% (or 400,000) BE's, EV sales need to grow TWENTY-SEVEN THOUSAND PERCENT over 2019's 148 vehicles.

In 9 years.

- - - - - 
Predictions, David?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Google says there's 2 million vehicles registered in Serbia. 148/2,000,000 is a market share of 0.00007%.  
As a fraction, that's 7 out of 10 million.

20% of 2 million is 400,000.

In order to get to 20% (or 400,000) BE's, EV sales need to grow TWENTY-SEVEN THOUSAND PERCENT over 2019's 148 vehicles.

In 9 years.

- - - - - 
Predictions, David?

Numbers do not lie and without major stimulus from the local government, it will not happen. :P  But the desire is still there and who knows, maybe the government will give 20% of the city population EV's.

Course they also could end up selling Wuling Mini EVs which are hot hot hot in China in Belgrade and the cheap price could be what does it. Who knows., will be interesting to see what happens.

On 3/26/2021 at 4:58 PM, oldshurst442 said:

lots of whining?

Dude, I have never remotely been to Taiwan. I dont order from Door Dash or Amazon.  I dont even use the self serve counter lanes at the grocery store nor do I use the self serve menu at McDonald's. 

But Im quite adept with technology and inserting my visa card in receptacles and I could change my propane gas tank on my BBQ once in while and when I clicked on that link and saw and read how things are done...I dont even Bixie

PDF) Evaluating bikesharing service quality: a case study for BIXI, Montreal

and yet Im sure I could do this ease...

Did you even click on the link or are you THAT skeptical on how easy it is to do so?

200 000 battery swaps per day it says. 95% of all scooter owners in Taiwan use the system.  Or are you that in dis-belief that in other parts of the world, folk actually do just fine without being soooooo cuddled... 

I mean, are you THAT cuddled?  

Like seriously...

Like how many phoquing road trips are YOU taking...on a phoquing scooter...for phoques sake???!!!

Yes, I read the link/article.

The idea of it is good for around town or a couple hour day trip with friends but you cannot expect to attempt to road trip and pick out dealerships to swap batteries. There was also zero talk of range but They're likely small batteries with not-a-ton of range. The Harley Davidson LiveWire has a range of 95 miles combined or 146 miles city. 

I very much expect a battery/bike situation where batteries can be easily swapped to not have the capacity of the LiveWire, having less range. 

LiveWire.JPG

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Yes, I read the link/article.

The idea of it is good for around town or a couple hour day trip with friends but you cannot expect to attempt to road trip and pick out dealerships to swap batteries. There was also zero talk of range but They're likely small batteries with not-a-ton of range. The Harley Davidson LiveWire has a range of 95 miles combined or 146 miles city. 

I very much expect a battery/bike situation where batteries can be easily swapped to not have the capacity of the LiveWire, having less range. 

LiveWire.JPG

Nah you didnt...

https://www.gogoro.com/smartscooter/2-series/plus/

if you actually took the time to read and understand what the phoque it is you are reading...you would see that

1. this is about scooters    

a) Asian countries in and around...Asia...which actually does include India, folk get around by bikes and scooters and the like...

2. you would have read that this particualr scooter has a range of 170 KM...or slightly more than 100 miles. Maybe 105 miles.  

Nobody is talking about long road trips with these.   Its clearly you having an agenda against this...for whatever reason.

I wanted to show that the Japanese manufacturing companies are going to engineering bikes so that their batteries could interchange using the same battery pack.

THAT article states that if you wanna buy a bike without a battery, you could if you already owned a previous motorcycle so you could bike swap from Yamaha to Honda to Suzuki.    The initial purchase would be with a battery, and then you could buy another bike without the battery,  saving you money JUST buying the bike.  Keep the battery long enough and it starts to degrade, BECAUSE there will be soooooo many bikes on the road with THAT same battery pack...meaning mass production will probably make that battery pack that much cheaper, one could buy another battery pack that wont be too much pressure on the wallet. 

You could charge that battery INSIDE your home/appartement/condo/office building etc.   And other ways that will make such a thing a positive.

The scooter article was DIRECTLY DIRECTED at YOUR conversation with @David regarding India's future and THEIR plan to go fully electric.  David said that Indian people DO use bikes and the like, and there was much noise about that...no need to rehash the details of THAT conversation...

There is a sticking point to what the Asian countries wanna do with batteries. Whether we are talking about the Taiwanese scooter thing or the Japanese motorcycle consortium thing,  they want to make it easier and cheaper for people to use.  And to go fully electric...by 2030-2035. 

Cheaper because if there is a STANDARD battery pack across the board with  the 2 wheeled variety of transportation, that will enable folk to change over to electric that much faster. 

Ease of use BECAUSE these battery packs will be interchangeable. 

AND...if MORE batteries are in production, the cost per unit of production of batteries WILL go down.    And THAT will be for ALL batteries as a battery pack from Tesla or from the Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda consortium will probably be the SAME kind of battery... 

The Taiwanese link is the company's actual website and it states that they are investing in NEW tech batteries for even greater range and cheaper to produce...

I guess it easier to whine and diss than to clearly understand what the REST of the world is doing...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Nah you didnt...

https://www.gogoro.com/smartscooter/2-series/plus/

if you actually took the time to read and understand what the phoque it is you are reading...you would see that

1. this is about scooters    

Blah Blah Blah Endless Ramble

I'm not talking about the scooter article and I thought that was obvious because people don't road trip scooters. I'm talking about the Autoblog article which is very much about motorcycles AND my comment was immediately after David's which was quoting the Autoblog link. 

Swappable Batteries.JPG

Swappable Batteries2.JPG

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm not talking about the scooter article and I thought that was obvious because people don't road trip scooters. I'm talking about the Autoblog article which is very much about motorcycles AND my comment was immediately after David's which was quoting the Autoblog link. 

Swappable Batteries.JPG

Swappable Batteries2.JPG

As this consortium moves forward in building these bikes which are mostly used locally over road trips, the existing battery tech of about 90 to 110 miles depending on electric motor efficiency or more if truly just in the city will be efficient for commuting to and from a job and local errands.

Yet as I have stated and posted, battery tech is changing fast and getting better and better and as I posted above, we now have battery tech not using rare earth elements and yet has double the capacity of previous battery tech going into production so that 90 miles becomes 180 as these new cells become available and are built into battery packs.

This makes it very easy for owners of these bikes to buy with a current 90 mile battery pack for this discussion and easily upgrade probably for a fee to a 180 mile battery pack.

I expect the next 10 years to be very interesting as we go into a battery war of who can build the most efficient motors and squeeze out the longest range of juice. This makes places that support this bike consortium be them dealers or charging stations in a great position for future growth as people stop by, get some food or a drink and like Propane tanks you exchange locally, you exchange battery pack depleted for fully charged for a fee.

Seems engineering logical to me that this is a smart way to move forward in the EV race.

On 3/26/2021 at 5:37 PM, ccap41 said:

Swapping batteries, sounds oh so slightly more of a pain in the @ss than filling up at a gas station on a road trip. 

I see...

Problem is that the Japanese bike consortium thing does not really dwell into that...just maybe it could be a thing to swap batteries on a road trip.  

The battery swap thing is more of a battery pack that is the same between the consortium and one could keep the battery pack and swap company...

Its a partnership that has started a couple of years ago.  There are no known engineering details yet of this endeavor as Im assuming the engineers and production logistics folk are still in the thinking stage on how this will come to be...  

For me: my nudge against you remains the same.  Its easier to whine and diss and sitting around with doing nothing but whining and dissing rather than understanding what the rest of the world is doing and we just sit there while the rest of the world passes us by... 

The four companies created an organization back in April 2019 for this sort of purpose called the Swappable Battery Consortium for Electric Motorcycles. And the group has now announced that the manufacturers have agreed on the specifications for motorcycle batteries that can be interchanged among each company's motorcycles. So if you have a Suzuki, you can use a Honda battery, or vice versa.

This idea presents quite a few interesting possibilities. The manufacturers could sell bikes with or without batteries, since you might already have a battery from your previous bike, or just another one you own, so you wouldn't have to shell out to buy an entirely new battery. If, for whatever reason, you needed a replacement battery, it should be easy to get one, since the same type would support bikes from a variety of manufacturers. The pipe dream of battery swapping stations might even be feasible because of the standardization and support. And having the batteries relatively easy to remove could be good for apartment dwellers, since they might be able to bring a battery inside to charge.

The manufacturers haven't said exactly what the specifications are for these interchangeable batteries, nor when they'll be implemented. But we'll be eagerly awaiting more information in the future.

Edited by oldshurst442

So then Mr. @oldshurst442, does David's quote below sound like a realistic venture on a road trip? 

On 3/26/2021 at 4:11 PM, David said:

Buy the bike you like and know that you can stop at any of these dealers for a battery swap or any other batter swap location as your making your Bike road trip.

34 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

For me: my nudge against you remains the same.  Its easier to whine and diss and sitting around with doing nothing but whining and dissing rather than understanding what the rest of the world is doing and we just sit there while the rest of the world passes us by... 

So what EXACTLY are YOU doing to not let the "world pass us by"? What would you, personally, suggest me to do more to "understand". 

I certainly have never drawn a hard line in the sand against EVs. Exactly like @ykXsaid last week, I have previously stated nearly the same thing. I thoroughly believe EVs are the future but there are some hurdles to cross yet before they will really take off, the biggest of which is price that's been hashed and rehashed dozens of times already. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

So then Mr. @oldshurst442, does David's quote below sound like a realistic venture on a road trip? 

So what EXACTLY are YOU doing to not let the "world pass us by"? What would you, personally, suggest me to do more to "understand". 

I certainly have never drawn a hard line in the sand against EVs. Exactly like @ykXsaid last week, I have previously stated nearly the same thing. I thoroughly believe EVs are the future but there are some hurdles to cross yet before they will really take off, the biggest of which is price that's been hashed and rehashed dozens of times already. 

Well...I have an open mind.

YOU clearly don not.

In this instance...YOU found fault where there was none as there were NO details.  You got called up on it and yet here we are...  In a circle jerk of nothinginess...

You brought up a Harley Livewire where there was NO need. 

THIS was about a JAPANESE battery consortium thing.  IN A LOGICAL POSITIVE THOUGT PROCESS, one could deduce that a MORE ADVANCED battery pack WOULD BE AVAILABLE BY THE TIME THIS ENDEAVOR would come to be...  THAT Harley is already 2 and a half years old using 2 and a half year old battery tech...

Dont be a deflecting on me now...  Got it???!!!  

I got something for you guys...]

STOP THE PHOQUING TROLLING!

If YOU guys do NOT believe this to happen, the DO NOT post in this thread! 

Plain and simple!

If you happen to be skeptical. Great!  

Come with a GOOD argument.

Because if not, then what I say IS true.  

Its EASIER to whine and diss while the PHOQUING planet passes us by.

THESE articles that Dave and I post are actually SHYTE that is HAPPENING in the world.  THESE people ARE going to make it happen as its ACTUALLY HAPPENING as we speak...

Edited by oldshurst442

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

YOU clearly don not.

In this instance...YOU found fault where there was none as there were NO details.  You got called up on it and yet here we are...  In a circle jerk of nothinginess...

THIS was about a JAPANESE battery consortium thing.  IN A LOGICAL POSITIVE THOUGT PROCESS, one could deduce that a MORE ADVANCED battery pack WOULD BE AVAILABLE BY THE TIME THIS ENDEAVOR would come to be...  THAT Harley is already 2 and a half years old using 2 and a half year old battery tech...

How exactly do I not have an open mind? 

You took what I said and immediately assumed I crossed the whole idea of battery swapping bikes off my radar.

If you read exactly what I said, "Swapping batteries, sounds oh so slightly more of a pain in the @ss than filling up at a gas station on a road trip." It was JUST about road tripping a motorcycle and you will not convince me that bouncing from dealership to dealership on a road trip would be enjoyable.

But, as it stands, you can't hardly road trip an electric motorcycle anyway so the point is moot. Nobody in their right mind would ride ~90 miles to park and charge for an hour or three depending the rate in which the charger is charging. 

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Come with a GOOD argument.

Because if not, then what I say IS true. 

Oh, such a convincing argument. 

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

THESE articles that Dave and I post are actually SHYTE that is HAPPENING in the world.  THESE people ARE going to make it happen as its ACTUALLY HAPPENING as we speak...

You two certainly know how to talk the talk but neither one of you have walked the walk. 

21 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

@ccap41You got caught trolling.  Own it. If not. Phoque off! 

What is actually wrong with you? If I don't agree with somebody that means I'm trolling? 

Would you prefer this site to be a big circle jerk and everybody just agrees with everything? 

25 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

How exactly do I not have an open mind? 

You took what I said and immediately assumed I crossed the whole idea of battery swapping bikes off my radar.

If you read exactly what I said, "Swapping batteries, sounds oh so slightly more of a pain in the @ss than filling up at a gas station on a road trip." It was JUST about road tripping a motorcycle and you will not convince me that bouncing from dealership to dealership on a road trip would be enjoyable.

But, as it stands, you can't hardly road trip an electric motorcycle anyway so the point is moot. Nobody in their right mind would ride ~90 miles to park and charge for an hour or three depending the rate in which the charger is charging. 

@oldshurst442, but nothing to say back to this? 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

What is actually wrong with you? If I don't agree with somebody that means I'm trolling? 

Would you prefer this site to be a big circle jerk and everybody just agrees with everything? 

stop trolling.   THAT is my problem.   STOP trolling.

YOU didnt read anything.  You wanted to troll David or myself or whatever JUST to be a contrarian...

Phoque off with that!   

Leave this go and contribute to something POSITIVE in this thread...  Not this contrarian bullshyte you wanna do. 

Dont phoquing confuse contrarian with disagreement.   Stop the trolling... 

40 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

YOU clearly don not.

I already dealt with your trolling right here @ccap41

Now...STOP THE TROLLING and the back and forth for a 3rd time I ask of you! 

NEWS BREAK

Nissan releases pictures, details and web site for the official 2022 Nissan Ariya Electric SUV.

image.png

This auto will come in 4 configurations:

• Ariya 2WD Standard Range
  • Ariya e-4orce Standard Range
  • Ariya 2WD Long Range
  • Ariya e-4orce Long Range - Maximum performance (389 hp) and range (details not released yet)

Nissan ARIYA | All-New Electric Crossover | Nissan USA

• Thanks 1

Now that the laughter that General Motors received for changing their logo has subsided, we could now focus our attention to ridicule Volkswagen when they officially change their name of their EVs to Voltswagen.  (Their internal combustion offerings will continue to be Volks-wagen, until they dont produce no more of them...)

At least according to the RoadandTrack article stating that its NOT an April Fool's Joke and according to their sources, the name change is real.   

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35969854/voltswagen-name-april-fools/ 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

Oh look! Another back and forth involving ccap41, the same person who complains about back and forth arguments by other folks. What was that you said about “walking the walk” @ccap41?

Oh the irony. 

I may talk about pick ups later but I don’t own one. Can I still talk about them? Asking for a friend who insists that you must actually own said vehicle to talk about or otherwise criticize said vehicle. 

That is where this place has gone and what makes it not such a good place to visit anymore.

Edited by surreal1272

23 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Oh look! Another back and forth involving ccap41, the same person who complains about back and forth arguments by other folks. What was that you said about “walking the walk” @ccap41?

Oh the irony. 

I may talk about pick ups later but I don’t own one. Can I still talk about them? Asking for a friend who insists that you must actually own said vehicle to talk about or otherwise criticize said vehicle.  

That is where this place has gone and what makes it not such a good place to visit anymore.

Yup, when you can't actually talk to somebody because they think you're trolling... you troll them. 

Are you referencing myself in the bolded section?

You're welcome to leave.

12 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Now that the laughter that General Motors received for changing their logo has subsided, we could now focus our attention to ridicule Volkswagen when they officially change their name of their EVs to Voltswagen.  (Their internal combustion offerings will continue to be Volks-wagen, until they dont produce no more of them...)

At least according to the RoadandTrack article stating that its NOT an April Fool's Joke and according to their sources, the name change is real.   

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35969854/voltswagen-name-april-fools/ 

I don't believe it will happen. It feels like the IHOP "scenario" a couple years ago. 

• Disagree 1

25 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yup, when you can't actually talk to somebody because they think you're trolling... you troll them. 

Are you referencing myself in the bolded section?

You're welcome to leave.

I don't believe it will happen. It feels like the IHOP "scenario" a couple years ago. 

The funny thing is that you think that I am talking about you in bold which shows that you have some responsibility in it and also have zero frame of reference. It also shows projection on your part because you got called out for being a hypocrite after your back and forth with Olds (while criticizing folks like myself for the EXACT same actions), like it never dawned on you to simply ignore him as opposed to taking up a page or two of endless BS between the two of you. Again, follow your own advice and walk the walk.

And since we are in the business of trying to put words in others mouths, I never said I was leaving. I said this place has become not a good place to visit. Learn the difference between the two before replying with yet another nonsensical post that has jack to do with what I am talking about. You are welcome to just NOT reply if you disagree with any part of this post (notice I wouldn't presume that you leave this place).

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

You know, there is a big difference between discussing a "pick up truck" and saying, you don't understand sh@t, "pick up trucks" are the best there is, without ever owing one.  

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The funny thing is that you think that I am talking about you in bold which shows that you have some responsibility in it and also have zero frame of reference. It also shows projection on your part because you got called out for being a hypocrite after your back and forth with Olds (while criticizing folks like myself for the EXACT same actions), like it never dawned on you to simply ignore him as opposed to taking up a page or two of endless BS between the two of you. Again, follow your own advice and walk the walk.

And since we are in the business of trying to put words in others mouths, I never said I was leaving. I said this place has become not a good place to visit. Learn the difference between the two before replying with yet another nonsensical post that has jack to do with what I am talking about. You are welcome to just NOT reply if you disagree with any part of this post (notice I wouldn't presume that you leave this place).

Jesus Christ, No, it does not. That's why I asked because I don't ever recall saying something like that. I saw the conversation the other day but I was not part of saying one cannot talk about wanting something without actually buying it, hence the Vette and Porsche talk. 

Sorry, but when you tag somebody in a comment, it makes the whole thing look like you're talking to the tagged person. 

What did I say that was hypocritical? 

Ignore him, nah. He's waaaaay too soft and easy to get under his skin. He joined our facebook group with a bunch of old Motor Trend guys and quit in a day because he couldn't take jokes. 3 Ply. 

I never said you were leaving. I said "You're welcome to leave."

• Disagree 1

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1131744_2022-kia-ev6-with-tesla-model-y-beating-acceleration-and-charging-the-stinger-of-evs

The EV6 is Kia’s first dedicated electric vehicle

Kia’s claiming quicker acceleration times for its top EV6 than what Ford has teased for the Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition or what Tesla currently claims for the Model Y Performance. It also charges in less time.

The EV6 is a five-seat hatchback. Kia describes the silhouette of the EV6 as “crossover-inspired” and “designed to deliver something different in the crossover class,” so it’s an entry that, at first look, might appear like a car or a utility vehicle. 

The EV6 will be offered in six different variants. EV6 and EV6 GT-line models will offer a choice of 58.0-kwh or 77.4-kwh battery packs, with rear- or all-wheel drive. Power figures start at 167 hp and 258 pound-feet of torque with the small battery and RWD to 321 hp and 446 lb-ft with the larger battery and AWD. The top-performance EV6 GT version offers 577 horsepower and 546 lb-ft, and is capable of getting to 62 mph in 3.5 seconds. The EV6 GT version gets an exclusive software-based limited-slip differential for more able all-weather handling.  While the performance part of it depends on the battery and configuration, all versions are capable of charging from 10% to 80% in just 18 minutes, using 800V fast-charging (exact power not yet disclosed). It can recover 62 miles of range in less than 4.5 minutes (in rear-wheel-drive form, with the larger pack).

On the range front, there’s not a lot of news to report quite yet. The EV6 will get WLTP range results up to 510 km (317 miles). EPA-cycle results aren’t yet available, though based on other EV results it might equate to nearly 300 miles—meaning that it might also be on par with the Model Y Performance's current 303 miles. 

The same platform is due to underpin seven of the 11 battery electric models from Kia due by 2026, as Kia targets 880,000 annual global sales of battery electric models by 2030—with hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and battery electric models together adding up to 40% of its sales by then. Meanwhile Kia disclosed that it expects to sell about 100,000 EV6s annually, with just 20,000 of those headed to the U.S. (30,000 will be sold in its home Korea, and 40,000 will go to Europe).Kia notes that it will be available for online reservations starting March 30 in some markets. The company revealed that first deliveries won’t happen until early in 2022. Exact U.S. details are yet to come. 

2022 Kia EV6

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1131744_2022-kia-ev6-with-tesla-model-y-beating-acceleration-and-charging-the-stinger-of-evs

The EV6 is Kia’s first dedicated electric vehicle

Kia’s claiming quicker acceleration times for its top EV6 than what Ford has teased for the Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition or what Tesla currently claims for the Model Y Performance. It also charges in less time.

The EV6 is a five-seat hatchback. Kia describes the silhouette of the EV6 as “crossover-inspired” and “designed to deliver something different in the crossover class,” so it’s an entry that, at first look, might appear like a car or a utility vehicle. 

The EV6 will be offered in six different variants. EV6 and EV6 GT-line models will offer a choice of 58.0-kwh or 77.4-kwh battery packs, with rear- or all-wheel drive. Power figures start at 167 hp and 258 pound-feet of torque with the small battery and RWD to 321 hp and 446 lb-ft with the larger battery and AWD. The top-performance EV6 GT version offers 577 horsepower and 546 lb-ft, and is capable of getting to 62 mph in 3.5 seconds. The EV6 GT version gets an exclusive software-based limited-slip differential for more able all-weather handling.  While the performance part of it depends on the battery and configuration, all versions are capable of charging from 10% to 80% in just 18 minutes, using 800V fast-charging (exact power not yet disclosed). It can recover 62 miles of range in less than 4.5 minutes (in rear-wheel-drive form, with the larger pack).

On the range front, there’s not a lot of news to report quite yet. The EV6 will get WLTP range results up to 510 km (317 miles). EPA-cycle results aren’t yet available, though based on other EV results it might equate to nearly 300 miles—meaning that it might also be on par with the Model Y Performance's current 303 miles. 

The same platform is due to underpin seven of the 11 battery electric models from Kia due by 2026, as Kia targets 880,000 annual global sales of battery electric models by 2030—with hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and battery electric models together adding up to 40% of its sales by then. Meanwhile Kia disclosed that it expects to sell about 100,000 EV6s annually, with just 20,000 of those headed to the U.S. (30,000 will be sold in its home Korea, and 40,000 will go to Europe).Kia notes that it will be available for online reservations starting March 30 in some markets. The company revealed that first deliveries won’t happen until early in 2022. Exact U.S. details are yet to come. 

2022 Kia EV6

Yup posted about this in the EV6 thread. Thank you for posting it here. I really think Kia has a home run on their hands once it is available at their dealerships.

Kie EV6 Revealed ahead of the World's Premiere for their first BEV! - Kia - Cheers and Gears

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, David said:

Yup posted about this in the EV6 thread. Thank you for posting it here. I really think Kia has a home run on their hands once it is available at their dealerships.

Kie EV6 Revealed ahead of the World's Premiere for their first BEV! - Kia - Cheers and Gears

I didnt get a chance to see it.  I saw some noisy posts here and there and just went on about my business...

• Thanks 1

Pepsi Co stated in an interview that they expect to take delivery of 15 Tesla Semi Trucks by the end of this year.

15 Tesla Semi electric trucks are expected to be delivered to PepsiCo this year - Electrek

This is a funny new taking delivery of a Tesla Model Y by an owner who is not aware of over the air updates.

Breaking News

Toyota Might be in Talks with Tesla to develop a dedicated EV platform for their new EV product line that they are taking slow in approach as they pushed their Hybrids and Hydrogen solutions over EV.

Tesla And Toyota May Be Working On Potential Future Partnership (insideevs.com)

On 3/30/2021 at 9:40 AM, ykX said:

You know, there is a big difference between discussing a "pick up truck" and saying, you don't understand sh@t, "pick up trucks" are the best there is, without ever owing one.  

Except I’ve never said anything of the sort but that discussion is over and done with.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:44 AM, ccap41 said:

What did I say that was hypocritical

Given the recent “naughty” ban you just got, I’d say the question was answered.

That is all.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021/03/30/motortrend-says-e-ray-corvette-will-be-quicker-than-the-c8-z06/

Corvette SUV Coming in 2024

We led first with the E-Ray news but the bigger news for MT Confidential is that the Corvette SUV is real and will make its debut in 2024. Built on top of the GM’s Ultium BEV (battery electric vehicle) platform, the electric Corvette SUV “will be a four-door, four-seat, performance-tuned crossover with key design cues lifted from the mid-engine C8.”

The column also “whispers” that the crossover may not be the only four-door electric Corvette in the line-up as a four-door rival for the Porsche Taycan sedan is also under consideration.

MT Confidential - May 2021

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Breaking News:

DHL has gone from a 10 EV last mile delivery using Electric Ford Transit Vans 350HD converted by Lightening Electric out of Colorado and has since placed additional orders to have 100 deployed by the end of 2021 in New York and Los Angeles.

These Lightning Electric Vans get 61 MPGe compared to their Diesel versions at 13 MPG.

DHL Express Deploys Nearly 100 New Electric Delivery Vans in U.S. | DHL | United States of America

DHL Express Deploys Nearly 100 New Lightning Electric Delivery Vans in U.S. - Lightning eMotors

Additional news from Lightning is that they secured a major order of 100 for their Class 6 & 8 trucks from Pride Group Enterprises who leases the trucks to various companies in Canada and the US. These as they are delivered will be incorporated into their fleet and leased out.

Charged EVs | Lion Electric secures order for 100 Class 6 and 8 electric trucks - Charged EVs

Pride Group Enterprises | Canada and the USA | Mississauga, ON

Tesla blew past analysts estimates of 177,000 EV Deliveries for Q1 of 2021. Tesla had 180,338 EVs produced and delivered 184,800 EVs representing a 110% year over year increase in auto production. Only a few Model S & X of the old model were delivered during this time as the production line was shut down for Q1 to tool for the new Model S & X models that will start production soon.

Model 3 & Y production grew by 10% and deliveries by 14% during this quarter.

Charged EVs | Tesla Q1 deliveries blow past forecasts, set new record - Charged EVs

Volkswagen and BP have announced a partnership that will see 70,000 Fast chargepoint charging stations to be installed across Europe between now and 2030.

Charged EVs | Volkswagen Group and bp partner to expand ultra-fast charging across Europe - Charged EVs

It would be appreciated / beneficial to the news channel threads here if the hyperbole was brought more inline with reality. 184K actual on a 177K estimate is a mere 3% over that estimate. "Squeaked by" is far more appropriate than "blew past", IMO.

Food for thought; since there's MORE than enough misrepresentations in the Battery Electric narrative as it is.

• Haha 1

"squeaked by" is also a hyperbole on the opposing end.  

"Met expectations" is more accurate.   But in a stock market world where money making on speculation is king rather than any other metric and "blew past" on a 3% (under) estimate seems more appropriate to the reality of stock market money making.  

('under' because the sales were OVER the estimate)

The reality of it all is that when GM, Ford, Toyota, VW and others WILL CEASE to produce any more internal combustion engined vehicles, then the consumer will have no more choice between ICE or BEV.

Then there is the used car world...BUT...the internal combustion vehicle WILL be banned in SOME urban markets...

So...what difference does it make what choice of words we use now to describe an EV market in 2021?

EVs WILL be the mode of personal transport.  Consumers will NOT have that choice to make.   

Edited by oldshurst442