Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Yuck, I was imagining something like that, in accordance on how many electrical motors work on/off power.

You can turn it off.  Actually, you need to turn regenerative braking on, regular Drive mode is the usual braking mode.  It is not too bad, needs to get used too, probably will work well on local roads and the city, but I wouldn't want to use it on a highway.

2 hours ago, David said:

At 6'6" tall I can have the front seat set for me and still get in the back fine.

At 6'1' I call bull on that.  Even my kids will have hard time in the back seats.

The seats themselves are horrendous.  GM needs to execute whoever did them.  I truly hope the seats in new one are better.

2 hours ago, David said:

Did you press the Sport Button?

No, i didn't try it, but even without Sport mode it was scooting along very well when I punched it.  The acceleration is great for a small car like that.  Can't imagine the feeling on something like Tesla performance model.

But I have to say, just last weekend I went for a drive in my Mustang.  When you punch it, it is an event: noise, hard pull, vibration, gear changes, etc.  This on the other hand feels like very fast golf cart.  Very isolated and boring.  I think even though I might get EV commuter in the future, I will try to keep my Mustang forever, it is just way more fun.

Edited by ykX
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, ykX said:

The acceleration is great for a small car like that.  Can't imagine the feeling on something like Tesla performance model.

The G Forces pins you to your seat with a Tesla.  And nails you there for the during of the acceleration. 

(not saying a Mustang GT500  wont be able to do the same, because it does...Im just describing what happens as Ive driven my partner's Model S hard and I have been a passenger as well as HE accelerated hard) 

31 minutes ago, ykX said:

I will try to keep my Mustang forever, it is just way more fun.

Well...now...you are adoring a 5.0 V8 RWD sports car over an econobox CUV...tall wagon...or whatever GM wants to call it...    because it really is a CUV...   

Same difference when adoring  that same Mustang over a Ford Focus RS or Fiesta ST...  

I too...would prefer your V8 Mustang over any of the other cars mentioned here. Shyte...Id rather an ecoboosted 4 cylinder Mustang over the Bolt or Focus RS or Fiesta ST. 

And yes...aural stimulation does play into the equation with a V8 Coyote.  But sometimes, even THAT is not enough to entice folk to keep on buying V8s.

The whole Fast and the Furious thing is built on the notion of NOT driving V8s...  And THAT trend started a whole decade BEFORE the first movie came out...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Well...now...you are adoring a 5.0 V8 RWD sports car over an econobox CUV...tall wagon...or whatever GM wants to call it...    because it really is a CUV...   

I was talking about how it feels.  EV feels a little sanitized, disconnected.  I am sure Tesla feels much better than Bolt (I might drive one soon too, have friends with Model 3 performance) but I heard that from other people too, despite great acceleration it is just not as fun, it like great superfast iphone with wheels.  Some people are ok with that.  I probably too old to enjoy pure performance without all the extra "fun" parts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, ykX said:

I was talking about how it feels.  EV feels a little sanitized, disconnected.  I am sure Tesla feels much better than Bolt (I might drive one soon too, have friends with Model 3 performance) but I heard that from other people too, despite great acceleration it is just not as fun, it like great superfast iphone with wheels.  Some people are ok with that.  I probably too old to enjoy pure performance without all the extra "fun" parts.

For sure for sure.

Im just creating dialogue.  Trying to draw some parallels. 

Because acceleration is linear and constant  with EV propulsion, there is no violent pushbacks. Because there is no transmission upshifts, there is no jerking motions. Just a uniform fast, very fast acceleration.  Like a rocket propelling itself to get out of earth's atmosphere.  

Like I said before too, there is no rumble from an engine to add to the acceleration and the transmission upshifts. THAT would also contribute to the fun.  

That is why I wanted to draw the F&F parallel with hopped up Honda Civics and Terror filled Turbo Supras. 

Chevy Bolt EV:  fast accelerating vehicle along the lines of a hopped up Civic or Focus RS.  Lack of V8 rumble...  

We all know that hopped up Civics are cult icons with a certain car crazy demographic. Not everybody wants a V8 to go fast.  Not everybody wants a buzzy 4 cylinder either. This is where crazy turbos and 6 cylinder engines come in... 

With the Bolt though, its just an econobox.   It aint even in the style of a Golf GTI or Civic CRX or Fiesta ST in that those econobox ICE vehicles, the suspension tuning and the steering and the engine/transmission tuning is geared for AUTOMOTIVE ENTHUSIASTIC driving pleasure.  The Bolt EV is...just an econobox CUV tuned for boring daily driven commutes.  Its not tuned to be...fun.

Like a Fusion Sport.   Its a phoquing fast sedan. A family hauling sedan. An AWD turbo 2.7 liter V6 that is quite faster than the Bolt EV.  But it aint an Audi S4  competitor. Or even an A4...   Its just a V6 ho-hum sedan.  If you could call 325 HP and 350 ft/lbs ho-hum.  It just doesnt lend to enthusiastic type of sprinting through the twisties. But it DOES drive extremely comfortable in hauling a family though.  

Teslas are more like BMWs in the driving department.  But THAT has MORE to do with the batteries being down low in the platform for a low center of gravity and with no front engine heaviness.  Tesla sedans handle the twisties kinda like a BMW.  The thing is though, the suspension tuning is no-where near what BMWs have... If they did, Teslas would be even MORE fun to drive than BMWs.  But...no engine noises.  Electric drive train whines and the creaks you get that you dont normally hear with ICE vehicles BECAUSE  of the ICE rumble.  Like you are saying. Some people like that. Some people dont.  But a Tesla sedan IS more fun to drive than a Bolt.   JUST because a Tesla sedan IS tuned to be more of a 'sport sedan' and a Bolt is...well...an econobox EV CUV. 

That is why I said that I would much prefer an ecoboosted 4 cylinder Mustang myself over a Bolt or Focus RS, because I would want that front engine, RWD feeling over FWD/AWD.  

But I would ALSO want a RWD/AWD Tesla Model S sized EV muscle car sedan to go along with my RWD V8 muscle car coupe.  I want both actually.    EV and ICE.  

EDIT:  Ill just add that some people like the rocket ship, linear acceleration of an EV.  Some people prefer the 'violent',  different stages of accelerations of an internal combustion engine and its transmission up-shifts.  

To each their own.  And one is no better than the other.   Enjoy what you enjoy.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ykX said:

You can turn it off.  Actually, you need to turn regenerative braking on, regular Drive mode is the usual braking mode.  It is not too bad, needs to get used too, probably will work well on local roads and the city, but I wouldn't want to use it on a highway.

At 6'1' I call bull on that.  Even my kids will have hard time in the back seats.

The seats themselves are horrendous.  GM needs to execute whoever did them.  I truly hope the seats in new one are better.

No, i didn't try it, but even without Sport mode it was scooting along very well when I punched it.  The acceleration is great for a small car like that.  Can't imagine the feeling on something like Tesla performance model.

But I have to say, just last weekend I went for a drive in my Mustang.  When you punch it, it is an event: noise, hard pull, vibration, gear changes, etc.  This on the other hand feels like very fast golf cart.  Very isolated and boring.  I think even though I might get EV commuter in the future, I will try to keep my Mustang forever, it is just way more fun.

Here are the two pictures I had taken by the folks working the booth at the autoshow of me in the Bolt.

First is the front set for me.

IMG_1580.JPG

Second is me in the back seat with the front seat set for me.

IMG_1577.JPG

Third is how it looks of me looking down at the steering wheel.

IMG_1581.JPG

No Bullshit, I do fit in the Chevrolet Bolt.

IMG_1579.JPG

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Uh... here's a 2021 Colorado crewcab longbed  with a chart of bed floor lengths ~

ext_GLT_deg02.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-02-15-at-9.51.56-PM.png

Thanks as when I did a quick look I only saw the mentioned bed. I see if I had gone into the configuration you have two options, the 5'2" or 6'2" bed.

image.png

Breaking News

Kia releases first teaser image of their all new EV6 300 mile CUV due late 2021. This is their first on the all new E-GMP electric platform. This is the first of the planned 7 dedicated EV models replacing ICE models by 2027.

Kia EV6 electric car: Teaser photos for 300-mile EV due by late 2021 (greencarreports.com)

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Hyundai has finally released the Tucson Hybrid and plug-in hybrid info for the AWD auto that will compete against the RAV4 and CR-V later this year. Basic AWD standard model will start at $30,235 and the top of the line will start at $38,535. Range is stated to be about 485 miles on a tank of fuel for these hybrids competing on MPG with the Toyota and Honda CUVs.

image.png

2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid pricing parallels RAV4 and CR-V (greencarreports.com)

You keep happily posting this superfunny photo as if anyone who views it cannot see your compressed joints writhing in pain after 20 seconds, let alone a quick ride to Starbucks with a load of co-workers @ lunch.  KEEP SMILIN'... THE SHOW MUST GO ON! IMG_1577.JPG

7 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im just creating dialogue.  Trying to draw some parallels. 

Totally unconvincing performance.  When something is indefensible.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

You keep happily posting this superfunny photo as if anyone who views it cannot see your compressed joints writhing in pain after 20 seconds, let alone a quick ride to Starbucks with a load of co-workers @ lunch.  KEEP SMILIN'... THE SHOW MUST GO ON! IMG_1577.JPG

Totally unconvincing performance.  When something is indefensible.

Yes you just keep on denning the future and enjoy living in the past.

8 minutes ago, ykX said:

HAHAHAHA, you really think this photo proves your point?  I think it rather proves my point really.

IMG_1577.JPG

Please post a picture of you in a Bolt and your kids in back showing leg room, head room, etc. 

I actually was able to get in and still sit in the back as there is more room than your stating. Yes not roomy like my Escalade, but it is not as bad as you think.

Tesla interior room is worse than the Chevy bolt. Once the front seat is set for us tall guys, you have maybe 3 inches of leg room between the bottom cushion and the back of the front seat making it impossible except for a baby seat for anything to be behind the front passenger.  On top of this due to the crazy stupid rake of the front windshield much like the stupid rake on Mazda's CUVs, most people hit their head getting into a tesla, at least I did not have this problem getting into the Bolt.

Far more roomy than Tesla and at least for a subcompact which I cannot fit into in the ICE world, I can in the EV world.

16 hours ago, balthazar said:

Yuck, I was imagining something like that, in accordance on how many electrical motors work on/off power.

I’m hard on the accelerator, but I’m very gentle on the brakes; I brake like a tractor-trailer. It would be tough to go to something so unrefined/coarse like that. 

It's an adjustment, but you can do exactly as you describe once you get a new feel for what the pedal does.  It's not unrefined unless you take your foot completely off the pedal.  It's just re-training your brain.  It took me couple hours max to master it and then I was like "how did I go this long without this?!"

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

I actually was able to get in and still sit in the back as there is more room than your stating. Yes not roomy like my Escalade, but it is not as bad as you think.

Why you have to be always so defensive?  I was sitting inside, I was driving  it and I passed my personal opinion.  It may differ from yours, but based on your pictures you are stretching it big time.  Bolt is a compact car and I don't expect it to be very roomy in the back.  But when I looked at the back seat there was very little room there.  Bolt would be probably a great city car or commuter car for someone who doesn't carry people in the second row if the seats weren't so bad.  Honestly, I don't remember sitting in a car with worse and more uncomfortable seats.  Other than that Bolt is great for what it is.  My coworker is slightly below average in his built and he was commenting that seats are not great and he will be looking for ways to improve them.  Other than that he is close to retirement and was looking for efficient and economical commuter car and considering the price he got it for, I think it will be perfect for that.

9 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Right? His leg is outside the vehicle and his head is tilted forward. Zero possibility he can convince be he is remotely comfortable with the door closed in that thing. His knee is 4-6 inches above his hip, that's called "cramped". 

I walked past one the other day in a parking lot and was surprised how small they really are. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Right? His leg is outside the vehicle and his head is tilted forward. Zero possibility he can convince be he is remotely comfortable with the door closed in that thing. His knee is 4-6 inches above his hip, that's called "cramped". 

Looks miserable in the despair potato.  Some vehicles are just too small. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I walked past one the other day in a parking lot and was surprised how small they really are. 

Have you actually sat in the back of a Bolt? there is more room than you realize and my leg was inside. Tight but not impossible for me to sit in for short trips.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Have you actually sat in the back of a Bolt? there is more room than you realize and my leg was inside. Tight but not impossible for me to sit in for short trips.

That's why the driver's seat picture had the door open and the back seat had the door open... 

Oh Yeah Yes GIF by UFC

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, David said:

Yes you just keep on denning the future and enjoy living in the past.

Here I am, "denning the future".  SO.MUCH.COMEDY.GOLD.

istockphoto-506515270-612x612.jpg

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

his head is tilted forward

Easy to see in the photo supplied.  His head has got to be digging into the headliner, he cannot even see out of the car unless he DUCKS down to look out the window!  :roflmao:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Very cool taking the DMC back to the future with a proper Conversion.

Awesome video on the True new Delorean as they move to EV versions. They still support the existing Delorean and you see all the parts, engines, etc. But the new Delorean is an EV, Awesome EV.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Watching that  Delorean EV video and I couldnt help but singing Huey Lewis and the News songs.  Well...one in particular and it aint the Power of Love either.

I never liked the Delorean. It always seemed odd to me.  The one thing that stuck out like a sour thumb to me in the Back to the Future movies WAS the Delorean. Never liked it. (the car. I LOVE the movies!)  But learning about it, and about John Z and his famous sabotaged FBI case, I later in life found it quite hilarious that Doc Brown made a time machine out of John Z's creation.  Making me appreciate the car.  So...back to the song.  

I think the fact that Im singing a Huey Lewis and the News song with those lyrics fits the Delorean and its EV incarnation quite nicely. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

GMC has released a teaser ad for 4-3-21 for the Hummer SUV which shows off the Hummer Truck undergoing winter testing.

GM has started to build the new body shop for production of the Cadillac LYRIQ EV as part of their $2 billion investment in Spring Hill Tennessee which is the 3rd plant being converted to full EV production for Cadillac.

Steel Goes Up at Spring Hill Complex, Advancing GM’s All–Electric Future

gm Breaking news:

According to Dan Flores, a gm spokesman, GM and LG is exploring building another $2.2 billion dollar battery production plant in Spring Hill Tennessee in support of GM going all electric by 2035 as Battery supply will be a critical part of this plan.

LG Senior VP Chang would only confirm that they are under discussions with GM and Tennessee for a possible expansion in Battery production there. LG did confirm that they will be expanding battery production across the US for various Global Manufacturers. 

Thinking is also that you could see battery production plants being built or existing under utilized factories being converted to battery production in support of auto production to minimize transportation of battery packs. An example is Holland Michigan where LG already has a plant that could be expanded to built Ultium batteries for GM or battery packs for other auto companies in the area.

Charged EVs | GM and LG may build a second battery factory in Tennessee - Charged EVs

Good Review of a 456 mile Tahoe Road Trip in the Ford Mach-E

Ford Mustang Mach-E Proves It's A Winner In 456-Mile Tahoe Road Trip (insideevs.com)

Excellent review of RAV4 Prime.  To me as of today, this is a much better option than pure EV.  More than 40miles range is more than enough for daily commute, and the ICE engine for when you need longer trip.  Also, plenty of space and can even handle rough stuff, especially if you put decent tires on it.  I think if i would be looking today for a car that would be at the top of my list.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ykX said:

Excellent review of RAV4 Prime.  To me as of today, this is a much better option than pure EV.  More than 40miles range is more than enough for daily commute, and the ICE engine for when you need longer trip.  Also, plenty of space and can even handle rough stuff, especially if you put decent tires on it.  I think if i would be looking today for a car that would be at the top of my list.

Yes for allot of people the Rav4 Hybrid is an outstanding solution. I think GM should have made the Equinox and Terrain with the Gen 2 Volt system and sold a butt load of them.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yep, botched that.

Driver's door closed and rear door open*

Common sense, door has to be open for you to see how I fit inside. Next time I will ensure to get a pic of me with the door closed too. :) 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, David said:

Common sense, door has to be open for you to see how I fit inside. Next time I will ensure to get a pic of me with the door closed too. :) 

Then why didn't you have it open for the driver's seat?

Good luck with that. You already made it public you DON'T fit as well as you explained.

14 hours ago, David said:

Excited for the Rivian R1S and true fold flat 2nd and 3rd seats for a nice flat area in the rear.

They better be able to fold flat if ICE vehicles can fold their 2nd and 3rd rows flat. 

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

SSDD

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.01.18 AM.png

How many times per year do they change their prices? I swear it's 2-3 times per year they're raising and/or lowering prices on one of their four vehicles. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.motortrend.com/news/10-suvs-with-fold-flat-seats/

Folding the seats down flat puts the "U" in the "V"

Feb 7, 2020

As a cyclist, my bike might be my most prized possession. When I'm out on the trail all of life's concerns fade away, but driving there with my bike is super stressful. Why? I'm in constant fear of a mishap that could leave my two-wheeled whip damaged—or worse.   If I'm using a hitch-mount rack, I'm worried an inattentive driver will rear-end me and crush my bike. A roof rack leaves it exposed to low-hanging obstacles and garage roofs. In a pickup truck bed, someone could snatch it if I stop for supplies. That's why I prefer an SUV with fold-flat seats when I'm driving with my bike.  

BLAH BLAH BLAH...

This stems from the mindless shyte people read and listen to on an everyday basis.  So marketers tend to lower themselves to the lowest common denominator.  And...most of us fall for that nonsense hook, line and sinker.  

Tesla Y versus Mach-E Drag race.

Isreal start up that has been building a basic skateboard platform and how opened a UK development site close to 25 other OEMs as they push to get their skateboard used to build global EVs.

REE Automotive opens new engineering 'Centre of Excellence' in the UK | MTDMFG

Charged EVs | REE Automotive opens Engineering Centre of Excellence in the UK - Charged EVs

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Exactly what I've been saying ^.  This is the homogenization of the automobile, EXACTLY like RC cars for adults with no distinction between them, no reason to incite allegiance... just a complete break down of any type of brand loyalty.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

Why are we bitchin' at this?

Because we think that EVs are going to be same shyte appliance compliance vehicles?

GM has been doing exactly that since the 1970s.

Even GM's pony cars at about 1979 or 1980 with the 2nd gen and DEFINETELY with the 3rd gen this has been going on...

Its an argument that has loooooong been written.  

1980s Ford Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar

1980s Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable

1980s Ford Mustang/Mercury Capri

1980s Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz

Chrysler's K cars

Chrysler's Cloud cars.   

1980s AND 1990s FWD GM Pontiac Bonneville/Oldsmobile Delta 88 and 98/Buick LeSabre

Chrysler's cab forward  midsizers both gens before going to RWD.   Chrysler Concord, Dodge Intrepid, Eagle whatever it was... 

Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse 1st gen and 2nd gen

Volkswagen in Europe with Seat cars in the 1990s...  

This has been going on for a LOOOOONG time waaaaaay before EVs came into the picture.

Can we just stop the EV drama???!!! 

• Agree 3

In other words...

Whether the future rides on EVs or remains with the status quo with the internal combustion engine...   homogenization of the automobile will continue on regardless...  

Therefore, could we all put our big boy pants on and stop the needless whining?  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

In other words...

Whether the future rides on EVs or remains with the status quo with the internal combustion engine...   homogenization of the automobile will continue on regardless...  

Therefore, could we all put our big boy pants on and stop the needless whining?  

Since you need your hand held, all of the vehicles you posted were built from the ground up by General Motors.  David's post was about a random company trying to sell their rolling chassis to anyone who wants to plop a car body onto it and sell it as their own.  That is exactly the definition of "RC cars for adults".  Can you NOT see the distinction? 

• Disagree 1

On 3/12/2021 at 6:46 PM, ocnblu said:

Exactly what I've been saying ^.  This is the homogenization of the automobile, EXACTLY like RC cars for adults with no distinction between them, no reason to incite allegiance... just a complete break down of any type of brand loyalty.

Oh shut up. It is no different than when someone does a LS swap in a Mustang. And what would you know about brand loyalty when you have gone through more brands in the last ten years than just about anyone else here? Walk the walk if you’re going to talk and talk. 

VW

Ford

Jeep

Chevrolet

Which brand had YOUR loyalty?

Maybe you need your hand held because Olds is spot on here while you continue to whine about nonsense. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

https://electrek.co/2021/03/12/nissan-leaf-battery-packs-ending-up-in-robots-helping-build-electric-cars/

Nissan is now using old Leaf battery packs in some of the robots that are helping to build the Leaf electric cars in the first place.

This is kind of cool!

For those who want electric cars to be a solution to reduce emissions from the transportation sector, the end-of-life of a battery pack is really important.

Companies are looking at several different solutions, from recycling to second-use. Nissan has been looking at many different applications for the latter.

We have seen the Japanese automaker use old Leaf battery packs for energy storage systems to power stadiums, in streetlights, and more.

Now Nissan might have found the coolest use of its old Leaf battery packs yet.

The automaker announced today that they are now using old Leaf battery modules in automated guided vehicles (AGVs), which are robots that deliver parts to workers in a car factory.

Nissan was already using Leaf battery modules for the vehicles, but it has now switched to used modules:

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

This is the defense tactic you're sticking with?  ooooooooooooooooook  :roflmao:

Just a small example of how people modify their autos all damn time (not to mention illustrating how using an engine from one brand to put into the car of another brand isn’t a big deal) but you want to act like modifying something with an EV platform is somehow the line crossed. (It’s not, for the record). What is funny is you, once again, cherry picking one line while having no real response for the rest of the post because the truth can be a fickle little thing like that. Save your fake outrage about homogenization and brand loyalty for folks who don’t know your tired routine here.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1