Jump to content
Create New...

Porsche News: Porsche Puts Tesla in the Crosshairs


Drew Dowdell

Recommended Posts

After four years of watching Porsche's Mission E concept go through the stages to production, the final product has finally arrived in the Porsche Taycan. In doing so, Porsche has its sights set directly on Telsa. 

P19_0637_a4_rgb.jpgAt launch, the Taycan will be available only in the top trims of Taycan Turbo and Turbo S.  Being fully electric, neither of them actually has a turbo of course. Packing a 93.4 kWh battery pack in its floor, the Taycan has a lower center of gravity than a Porsche 911. The top-line Turbo S can generate up to 750 horsepower with overboost mode engage and that will get the 5,100 lb car from 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds. The standard Turbo makes do with 670 horsepower and a 0 to 60 of 3.0 seconds. Top track speed is limited to 161 mph for both. The Taycan is AWD using a dual motor system with one motor at each axle. Unlike EVs from Tesla and Nissan, Porsche uses a two-speed transmission to gain maximum acceleration and easy highway cruising.

The Taycan is the first production EV with an 800 volt system instead of the more common 400 volts for other electric cars. With the fastest charging available on the market, the Taycan can recharge from 5% to 80% in just 22.5 minutes under ideal conditions when connected to a 270 kW charger that will be found at all Porsche dealerships.  Home chargers will use a more common 9.6 kW charger.  Higher speed charging using Electrify America's network is available for free for the first 3 years. While EPA ratings for range have yet to be released, the Turbo is rated for 236 miles to 279 miles on the EU cycle and the Turbo S is rated for 236 miles to 256 miles on the same cycle. Assume somewhere in the mid-250s once the EPA gets their hands on one. 

P19_0569_a4_rgb.jpgWhile the Taycan does get a traditional hydraulic braking system, Porsche says that the regenerative system can handle 90 percent of all braking. A standard adaptive air suspension is also there with Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control. 

On the interior Porsche mounted 5 screens that surround the front occupants with tech. Up front is a 2.8 cubic foot glove box storage space, and out back is a bit more roomy 12.9 cubic foot storage. Porsche put indents into the floor for rear passengers to give more legroom. 

The Taycan is expected to go on sales towards the end of this year.  Launch pricing is $154,660 for the Turbo and thP19_0577_a5_rgb.jpge Turbo S starts at $186,350.  Cheaper models will come later. 


View full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:metal: EXCITEMENT!!! :metal:

Tesla is going to have to really step up their game as I believe this car will be way superior than a Tesla S.

Tesla has their Ludicrous mode. I wonder what Porsche will eventually come out with? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The advantage I see for the Taycan is branding and Porsche's build quality.  The disadvantage seems to be interior room.  The Model S is a spacious car.  If Porsche had to put indents in the floor for your feet just to increase legroom a bit, that tells me it's not really roomy inside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

:metal: EXCITEMENT!!! :metal:

Tesla is going to have to really step up their game as I believe this car will be way superior than a Tesla S.

Tesla has their Ludicrous mode. I wonder what Porsche will eventually come out with? 🤔

As it says in the article, 'overboost mode'.. 

Interesting, but these trims start considerably higher than the Model S tops out I think...so this is playing at a higher price point..

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The advantage I see for the Taycan is branding and Porsche's build quality.  The disadvantage seems to be interior room.  The Model S is a spacious car.  If Porsche had to put indents in the floor for your feet just to increase legroom a bit, that tells me it's not really roomy inside. 

That seems to be on par for me with the Tesla S, as I got into one and out of it, but lucky me I am flexible. I do agree with you that I wonder about that comment also on the Porsche. Tesla X is not roomy either but to me and yes I am big. Yet still excited for these auto's as this is the start of all things EV eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

As it says in the article, 'overboost mode'.. 

Interesting, but these trims start considerably higher than the Model S tops out I think...so this is playing at a higher price point..

It's a Porsche, of course it plays at a higher price point.  However, once the base models come out, it's supposed to be in the $75k-$80k range. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

As it says in the article, 'overboost mode'.. 

Thank you Robert, the overboost mode did not register with me when I read it the first time. Would have loved it to be Warp mode :P  

Maybe they will offer an Infinity and Beyond mode! 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ccap41 said:

Isn't this also much more expensive than a Model S along with much less range? Those are two pretty big disadvantages of the Taycan. 

Yes, but I can see people paying a premium for the badge...

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Isn't this also much more expensive than a Model S along with much less range? Those are two pretty big disadvantages of the Taycan. 

Actually this is on par with what Tesla did when they first came out and I would be willing to bet that as Porsche gets their battery tech ramp'ed up especially in regards to solid state you will see more battery options over the next few years.

Porsche is playing catch up, but I expect as a Premium brand they will surpass Tesla in a much shorter time frame.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Actually this is on par with what Tesla did when they first came out and I would be willing to bet that as Porsche gets their battery tech ramp'ed up especially in regards to solid state you will see more battery options over the next few years.

Porsche is playing catch up, but I expect as a Premium brand they will surpass Tesla in a much shorter time frame.

I don't think they'll surpass Tesla in volume. They're not going for a volume model like the 3 and S. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Good point.. The Taycan is a whole 0.3in shorter and 0.1in wider. 

Maybe they should have sacrificed the 0.3in for more range. 

It's also 5100lbs, while the Model S is a svelte 4950lbs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Even worse.. 10 years newer and it has a smaller battery, less range, and weighs more.

Probably better built, though...high strength steel and CF instead of Tesla's glued-together cardboard , plastic and aluminum (Teslas seem poorly assembled with subpar materials).

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The battle is on now, Porsche build quality is top notch, Tesla not so much.  The multiple touch screens is cool, this interior is way better than a Tesla.  Mercedes EQ S debut next week so then there will be 3 and more will follow.  Will be interesting to see how Tesla responds to the competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like how the dash has a very 911 style gauge cluster.. and the use of the touch screens is better integrated than Tesla's giant screen.   Looking forward to seeing this in person along w/  the Audi etron GT.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When do price tiers go away? 
It's been repeated stated that a -say- 30% price difference means those 2 vehicles aren't competing with each other. IE; a $30K and a $40K vehicle.

Here we have a 100% price difference- Model S starts at $81K, the Taycan is going to start at $154K. (Frankly, I don't believe they will be a $75K version- how much de-contenting is going to happen there?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, balthazar said:


Here we have a 100% price difference- Model S starts at $81K, the Taycan is going to start at $154K. (Frankly, I don't believe they will be a $75K version- how much de-contenting is going to happen there?)

The Turbo version starts at $154k...like other Porsches, there will probably be many variations..probably a base Taycan will be around $100k..

Edited by Robert Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, balthazar said:

When do price tiers go away? 
It's been repeated stated that a -say- 30% price difference means those 2 vehicles aren't competing with each other. IE; a $30K and a $40K vehicle.

Here we have a 100% price difference- Model S starts at $81K, the Taycan is going to start at $154K. (Frankly, I don't believe they will be a $75K version- how much de-contenting is going to happen there?)

Sure they can do a $75K version by just taking 1 motor away for RWD only.

But will they is the question I ask. Probably not for the first few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search