Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Item: 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Duramax

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

I'm going to be putting 'some cash' down, brings the calculated 72-mnth payment to around $540. I'm not nuts about that because we've never had a car payment over $250 here. 
When I sell the '04, going to put that money toward the principal on the '21 - don't know if the monthly gets recalculated or the loan just ends sooner. 

What's your interest rate?

Probably go with 3.29% / 72 months due to also getting the $5K purchase allowance. That lowers the finance amount / total financed. I can get 0% /72 but lose the 5 grand (and the monthly therefore is slightly higher). Same case with 1.9% / 84 month {shudder}- lower finance charge but higher total payments (due to longer loan).

sales dude said my credit is better than 90% of their customers - nice to hear.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Well.......... it’s finally here.

CB998DFC-2610-43AF-814B-78DA869B1911.jpeg

UNFORTUNATELY, it’s far too nice for a bumpkin like me, so I politely refused it.

No; I guess I’ll take it. Going back tomm with a fat check and a brand new pen.

Looks sharp from here. Really like the Black trim as opposed to all the chrome they normally come with. Seems like a Balth kind of ride. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Probably go with 3.29% / 72 months due to also getting the $5K purchase allowance. That lowers the finance amount / total financed. I can get 0% /72 but lose the 5 grand (and the monthly therefore is slightly higher). Same case with 1.9% / 84 month {shudder}- lower finance charge but higher total payments (due to longer loan).

sales dude said my credit is better than 90% of their customers - nice to hear.

Pro Tip: Take the $5k at whatever rate and then immediately refinance with DCU.org at 1.49%.  That rate maxes out at 72 months I think, so you'll cut your interest by more than half. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Seems like a Balth kind of ride. 

In the beginning, I was set on a Silverado with the chrome (LT). But somehow during the 3-some months I actively stewed over making this move, I switched over to the Sierra because I really liked the Elevation (styling & color balance with the black trim). I really am more of a chrome guy, but this is still peachy.

I'm happy because I looked at another Sierra in this color and I started thinking it was too bright/light. Tho it was overcast here today, it looked darker this time and closer to the website's depiction (as seen on previous page). 

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

In the beginning, I was set on a Silverado with the chrome (LT). But somehow during the 3-some months I actively stewed over making this move, I switched over to the Sierra because I really liked the Elevation (styling & color balance with the black trim). I really am more of a chrome guy, but this is still peachy.

I'm happy because I looked at another Sierra in this color and I started thinking it was too bright/light. Tho it was overcast here today, it looked darker this time and closer to the website's depiction (as seen on previous page). 

Would have never taken you for a chrome guy in a truck but I guess, given your affinity for the classic rides, it shouldn’t be too surprising. Either way, it’s a sharp looking truck. 

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

Well.......... it’s finally here.

CB998DFC-2610-43AF-814B-78DA869B1911.jpeg

UNFORTUNATELY, it’s far too nice for a bumpkin like me, so I politely refused it.

No; I guess I’ll take it. Going back tomm with a fat check and a brand new pen.

That is ONE SWEET RIDE!!!

Is that a ground strap off the back bumper?

Really liking the looks of this truck and so much better looking than Chevrolet, Ram and Ford.

I'm definitely not a truck guy, and the Ram still is my favorite styling-wise, but I do like the Sierra Denali.  Nice that they offer them in a variety of trim packages for those that like black trim or monochrome or those that like chrome (me).  Alas, it seems 90% of them I see are boring colors like black or white. 

2021-sierra-1500-mmp-1-1600179285.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

Full-size trucks are the closest to 'how things used to be'; a lot of body configurations, bunch of powertrains, still some separation of options (tho still in packages), a dizzying array of accessories... all good. But agreed on the colors: of the online selection in my truck's trim, I would say 65% are either white or black. 

Can you name a car with FOUR different wheel size options (17", 18", 20" and 22")?

25 minutes ago, David said:

Is that a ground strap off the back bumper?

Remnant of shipping protection (vinyl wrap).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Full-size trucks are the closest to 'how things used to be'; a lot of body configurations, bunch of powertrains, still some separation of options (tho still in packages), a dizzying array of accessories... all good. But agreed on the colors: of the online selection in my truck's trim, I would say 65% are either white or black. 

That's one of the things I like about the Grand Cherokee...8-10 trim levels, 2-3 engine options, multiple wheel and tire size options, several colors available (though 80% seem to be black or white).  Variety is a good thing...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Jeep.com is showing an even 12 trims for the GC. 
Wild: MSRPs range from 34K to 88K.

Yeah, it varies from year to year when they add and remove subtrims between the major trims like Altitude, Upland, Sterling, etc.  With the limited edition trims it's 17 for 2021, not including the L and it's trim levels. 

I think the model with the most trims on sale is probably the Porsche 911…most years it’s between 20-24 trims. 3 body styles across some of the trim levels. 

Edited by Robert Hall

So-ooooo....... dealer still has my truck. Threw check engine code the day it was delivered; needed a knock sensor. Took 2 days to get part, then while road-testing it, had a very minor fender-bender in rear quarter, behind rear tire. Nothing structural, didn’t touch the tire. Going to dealer body shop, and they offered to make first payment. I’m thinking 2 would be better.

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

So-ooooo....... dealer still has my truck. Threw check engine code the day it was delivered; needed a knock sensor. Took 2 days to get part, then while road-testing it, had a very minor fender-bender in rear quarter, behind rear tire. Nothing structural, didn’t touch the tire. Going to dealer body shop, and they offered to make first payment. I’m thinking 2 would be better.

2 at the very least! That's jacked up and should never happen right off the hauler.

• Agree 1

I think the sensor was because they drove it up the street to fuel it when it was still in transport mode. If so; kinda dumb.

To be clear- I have not only not driven it, I haven't even sat in it yet.

Salesdude believes it won't go on a Carfax because it hasn't been titled yet - I have not taken possession and not signed the 'delivery form'. Doesn't really matter if I keep it 15+ years.

My buddy said I should refuse the truck... but there's no inventory out there and I need to replace mine ASAP. 

- - - - - 
Compared to the Q1 average of 11-13 GMCs fitting my bill of cab/box/trim/engine within 100 miles of me, there are now only 3 listed (none of which I'm thrilled how they're outfitted).

A little fender bender?  Like how little of a fender bender is it?

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

had a very minor fender-bender in rear quarter, behind rear tire. Nothing structural, didn’t touch the tire.

Because I dont know how I would react if it was MY new vehicle being delivered and I hadnt even sat in it yet...

Bumpers on cars are meant to be bumped. Hence the name.  Keeping your truck for 15+ years wouldnt make a difference if your new truck that you hadnt even sat it was bumped before you got it. 

On the other hand...ITS A BRAND NEW TRUCK THAT YOU DIDNT BUMP IT!!!  

For me, There is a huuuuuuge difference in ME hitting MY car and for somebody ELSE bumping a car I dont even own yet...

And my statement just now is with a slight bump...

If body panels had to be changed, Id definitely refuse delivery even if no structural damaged had been done.  But then again, if I  needed a truck right now, because the one I own HAS to be replaced, and because of chip shortages has made choices to buy another truck downright difficult, then Id accept delivery, but for MORE than 2 monthly payments.   Id try maybe to renegotiate the price of that truck and try to get as much of a discount on it as I can.  

Good luck Balthy!  

This kind of shyte you did not need!  

Good luck!

I started paying attention on my commute and I see substantially more Sierras than SIlverados, almost like 8 or 10 to 1.  Not sure if it is the looks of the Silverado or some other thing.

GMC is dominate around here, I actually have 4 GMC dealerships I can go to locally to the 2 Chevrolet dealerships.

Squeeze them for all they got on damaging your new ride.

Saturday Night Live Nbc GIF by HULU

On 5/20/2021 at 3:36 PM, Robert Hall said:

Length and wheelbase look similar, the new one looks taller--mostly wheel/tire size, I'd assume..though the nose looks taller. 

The nose is taller on the new truck as a mechanical design decision. I spoke with a GM rep pretty high up when the current trucks came out.  The height of the nose was done like that for two reasons. 1. It allowed them to move more of the dirty bits forward away from the cab to improve cab interior room. It also allowed for doing this with longer/taller I-6 engines. 

• Thanks 1

I took delivery of the GMC with 110 miles on it. No doubt, it spent some time idling around the body shop, the dealer, etc... plus transport mileage. Anyhoo- then the 400-mile MPG window stated an average of 16.4 MPG. Miles have now doubled to 220, MPG is up to 18.8. Maintaining 65 on level highway, turning about 1250 RPM, instant average MPG hovers around 35. I don't do much highway miles but expect to settle around 22, and that's already 'gravy'. Of course- powertrain is still breaking in.

BTW- tho I got it with a 'full' tank, I cannot verify as to the actual fuel level when I started driving it or how many miles was already on it when fueled.

Anyway; I myself put 110 miles on it, and it reads I have another 398 miles of range left- that's 508. Calculated max range is 624 miles, so that's probably with no topping off (220 + 398 = 618 miles). Pretty awesome range- I should only be 'charging' my truck once every 20 days. :P

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I took delivery of the GMC with 110 miles on it. No doubt, it spent some time idling around the body shop, the dealer, etc... plus transport mileage. Anyhoo- then the 400-mile MPG window stated an average of 16.4 MPG. Miles have now doubled to 220, MPG is up to 18.8. Maintaining 65 on level highway, turning about 1250 RPM, instant average MPG hovers around 35. I don't do much highway miles but expect to settle around 22, and that's already 'gravy'. Of course- powertrain is still breaking in.

BTW- tho I got it with a 'full' tank, I cannot verify as to the actual fuel level when I started driving it or how many miles was already on it when fueled.

Anyway; I myself put 110 miles on it, and it reads I have another 398 miles of range left- that's 508. Calculated max range is 624 miles, so that's probably with no topping off (220 + 398 = 618 miles). Pretty awesome range- I should only be 'charging' my truck once every 20 days. :P

How big is the diesel fuel tank?