Item: 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Duramax

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE : Apprently GM closes down completely for a month starting at Christmas. So my order placed 12/23 isn't, actually, "placed" yet. That means: order in in beginning of Feb, then add 8-12 weeks. Suddenly, March has become May.

Sadness.

On the other hand, this gives me the rest of January to stalk gmclocator.com, and possibly find an on lot version I can make a better deal on. It's grotesquely unlikely, because anytime I search within a 250 radius, there's like 4 trucks that match my baseline. And 3.75 of them are either white or black.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Dealer told me a few weeks ago that GM was scheduled to build a run of Duramax 1500s starting 2/25... first a batch of Denalis and AT4s, then the rest of the trims. I have no idea how long time-wise they'll build the upper trims; there's 3 plants, and the next interval would be around beginning of June. I have no ida of the speed GM builds these, or how many shifts. I hope it's no longer than 2 weeks on the upper trims.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Update today- have an order # finally, plus a scheduled build week of 3/29-4/4. It’s supposedly a lock to get built. Current restrains are running boards (mine doesn’t have ‘em), and the molded floor liners- but they’ll built it without those. Dealer manager says probably be here last week of April.

Hope it gets all of its computer chips

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Target build week got bumped from 3/29 to 4/12, but as of this morning its status code is 3800 : 'Order produced, VIN available'.

That should mean it actually exists, in the steel.

Supposed delivery date is 5/4, but those are (currently) 'largely meaningless'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Hope it goes well w/ the new GMC..speaking of ordering trucks, recently talked w/ a friend/former coworker in Phoenix that ordered a new Ram 2500, waited a couple months for the build, then it was demolished immediately on arrival at the dealership.   He hadn't even gotten to see it in person yet.  

Apparently, it was backed off the transport truck which was parked in a turn/middle lane of a busy 6 lane street in front of the dealer then as they are pulling into the dealer, it was broadsided by a dump truck.    I can picture what happened, this was the same dealer I bought my Jeep at.   Now he's waiting on a replacement...

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Target build week got bumped from 3/29 to 4/12, but as of this morning its status code is 3800 : 'Order produced, VIN available'.

That should mean it actually exists, in the steel.

Supposed delivery date is 5/4, but those are (currently) 'largely meaningless'.

Agree, dates are meaningless till actual confirmation of it shipped, on the truck, arrived at the dealership. Not surprised by the bump to the build week due to the various parts shortage happening.

Thanks for keeping us updated, very excited to see your new truck when it arrives! :metal:

UPDATE : order status now at 4150, vehicle is invoiced and has left the plant - it's at the transport company's holding lot.
It made that trip on 4/11, so it was built sometime between 4/5 and 4/10.

Supposed expected delivery at dealer is 5/13. 

God this is taking forever.

On the flip, I read there are locator services willing to pay $3 grand over MSRP to buy new trucks, inventory demand is that crazy. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Sounds really weird, but I understand why; my dealer now has my actual, specific truck advertised on their website, and the ‘start buying process’ button is still there/ active.

Totally makes sense, they can use it for marketing and if others like that package, they can order them up one as they then inform them it has already been sold. Good sales / marketing.

Do they have a picture of your truck with the listing?

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Sounds really weird, but I understand why; my dealer now has my actual, specifc truck advertised on their website, and the ‘start buying process’ button is still there/ active.

Can they sell it out from under you if someone offers them more than sticker? 

^^^  I guess you have put a down deposit for it?   For them to order it and for GM to actually produce it, a deposit was made?  yes?

And so, a contract was signed?  yes?

Then I do not comprehend that a dealership could sell a signed contract, down deposited vehicle, one with a VIN already assigned to the future owner to another person who offers a better deal for it.

But I just re-read what you posted, Balthy, and the VIN was not assigned to you, yet.  Am I correct? 

You wrote VIN available...

But you still gave a down deposit with a pre-sales contract.  

OK...the more I write, the more Im getting the feels for the situation.

A pre-sales contract could be broken...  By other side...

Ouch!    That WOULD suck BIG TIME if they screwed you over that way...  

Correct- when you order a vehicle, there is NO VIN. In fact there is no order number at that time- order number comes when GM accepts the order and logs it in. We all know the 'commerce chaos' of 2020-2021. VIN comes when the truck is scheduled for imminent production.

Do I have a 'pre-sales' contract? Is that binding?

I can say this; my truck 'as advertised' is not showing any 'market adjustment', and I have not seen that happen with full-size GM trucks. The advertised truck shows the same MSRP as the sales guy re-confirmed with me Monday.

I don't expect a 'bad turn' will happen.

How far is Rhode Island from you?

Because from me, Im only 600 KM away. About a 6 hour drive.  (I googled) 

Could I be not that much further from your truck at this point in time than you are?    :) 

Edited by oldshurst442

33 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Dealer called; truck is in Rhode Island. Next update Thursday.

So about 260 miles away. very cool that you will have your truck soon.

Lil' bit less- googlemaps from the port to my town is like 215 miles.
Now just have to see how soon they load it and how direct their route is.

We have a camping tent; with how empty the dealer lot is, I don't see why I couldn't camp out there for a few days and watch for the truck.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Lil' bit less- googlemaps from the port to my town is like 215 miles.
Now just have to see how soon they load it and how direct their route is.

Interesting..as in arriving in the US on a container ship? 

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Went by ship to RI. Going to come to NJ by 'carrier', but dealer didn't clarify if that meant only a truck, or rail then a truck.

Interesting.... by ship.  Coming from Mexico, then?  Wouldn't need a ship from Fort Wayne or Flint. 

• Sad 1

Hmmmm what to play today 👌🤔👌🤔 | Call of Duty

215 miles versus 375. 4 hour drive versus 6...

Yeah...Rhode Island is not quite at both of our mid-point.  I falsely thought that Montreal might have been closer to Rhode Island than that...(or NJ being farther from Rhode Island than what it really is...) 

Edited by oldshurst442

On 4/26/2021 at 6:59 PM, balthazar said:

Went by ship to RI. Going to come to NJ by 'carrier', but dealer didn't clarify if that meant only a truck, or rail then a truck.

The “hurry up and wait” part of this is the hardest part, I’m sure. Can’t wait to see some good pics of your new ride.

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

The “hurry up and wait” part of this is the hardest part, I’m sure. Can’t wait to see some good pics of your new ride.

Ya; I’m patient by nature, and frankly; it doesn’t seem real anyway, so it’s fine. Reminder; I signed a blank contract 12/24.

But... am starting to feel a tingle... 😉

• Agree 2

@balthazar So on your hot looking bad boy, what Packages did you get?

Like the look of the black package, but wow $1,100 bucks. 😐 

X31 Off-road and protection package along with Max Trailering package look good IMHO.

image.png

🤔 Interesting that they have a Dynamic Fuel Management removal option.

image.png

• Like 1

No X-31; didn’t want the rougher ride/ not going offroad ever.
No max trailering- it tows 8800lbs as configured; that’s plenty. Plus, the Duramax kicks out the Max Trailering Pkg.

• DuraMax 3.0TD ($2390)
• Preferred package ($1320)
• spray-in bedliner ($545)
• floor liners ($210)
• integrated trailer brake ($275)
• bucket seats ($545)
• Multi-Pro tailgate (this switched to standard equip during the long process. It was $445, but in going standard the base price rose $200)
• Pacific Blue ($495)
destination is $1695.

MSRP : $56775

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

No X-31; didn’t want the rougher ride/ not going offroad ever.
No max trailering- it tows 8800lbs as configured; that’s plenty. Plus, the Duramax kicks out the Max Trailering Pkg.

• DuraMax 3.0TD ($2390)
• Preferred package ($1320)
• spray-in bedliner ($545)
• floor liners ($210)
• integrated trailer brake ($275)
• bucket seats ($545)
• Multi-Pro tailgate (this switched to standard equip during the long process. It was $445, but in going standard the base price rose $200)
• Pacific Blue ($495)
destination is $1695.

MSRP : $56775

Awesome, thank you for the details, very excited to see pictures of your new ride. 

I do find it interesting that with the Duramax that the Max Trailering package would not be standard with this truck.

Hope it gets here sooner rather than later.

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

$750/month for 84 months

I'm going to be putting 'some cash' down, brings the calculated 72-mnth payment to around $540. I'm not nuts about that because we've never had a car payment over $250 here. 
When I sell the '04, going to put that money toward the principal on the '21 - don't know if the monthly gets recalculated or the loan just ends sooner. 

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

I'm going to be putting 'some cash' down, brings the calculated 72-mnth payment to around $540. I'm not nuts about that because we've never had a car payment over $250 here. 
When I sell the '04, going to put that money toward the principal on the '21 - don't know if the monthly gets recalculated or the loan just ends sooner. 

I believe loan ends sooner.  That what happened in my case.  To recalculate payment you need to refinance, but then your rate probably will go up because you already refinancing a used vehicle.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Unless you refinance, the loan will just end sooner. Smart move, imo. I'm never a fan of financing an entire depreciating asset like that where you have negative equity immediately and likely for the first 4-5 years(assuming one is paying minimum payments).