GM Keynote @ CES 2022 is Virtual, yet we see the Chevrolet Truck and SUV to lead their BEV Portfolio! :Comments

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

When will we see the 'mainline' Silverado EV multi-series / multi-configuration reveal??

With the way Ford built the Lightning, I could see them making an actual work truck in a couple years. I mean, it's just a cab/bed difference as it's all built into a current F150. I would think this is a fairly easy conversion. 

26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Yet... they sell.  6.5' beds are workable, but on the edge.  That final foot off (5.5') is not made for a LOT of commercial work.  Why a pickup should 'be fine' with smaller & smaller beds, when commercial vehicles include vans that are large and go up from there, makes little sense to me;  more room for more materials & equipment is moving forward, not less.

RE the Midgate extending the bed to 8-ft; that's fine for homeowners / occasional use. It's far less than ideal for contractors / commercial work, who seldom have the rear seat totally empty to enable spontaneous Midgate-dropping.  If you're picking up a dozen sheets of plywood for a job... where are your tools going to be for installation of such?

I understand & accept that most pickup are not used commercially, and the 5.5' bed is the majority (I take note on the road)... what I'm advocating for is the same level of choice going forward- independent cab/beds with a multitude of configurations to cater to the steady customer base. One single crew cab / short box isn't going to do that.

When will we see the 'mainline' Silverado EV multi-series / multi-configuration reveal??

I get the point you're making and I also hope that the initial launch with only 5' 10" bed is just for the start and that additional bed lengths like Rivian is exploring now in mules happens as it only makes sense that it would plus, we do have GM saying that they will be building HD models also so for there I expect 6- & 8-foot beds to be standard.

^ Except I've read that the next gen Lightning (2025) will get a dedicated skateboard chassis- the current one uses a modified IC chassis. Will that put Ford in Chevy's 'boat'??

With the crazy prices these BE trucks are asking, and the supposed lesser costs of manufacturing, there had better be MORE configuration choices, not LESS.

1 minute ago, David said:

additional bed lengths like Rivian is exploring now in mules

LOL- they need to come up a whole FOOT to equal the shortest bed on the legacy brands! Long-ass way to go... but Rivian isn't interested in work/commercial pickup sales anyway.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

^ Except I've read that the next gen Lightning (2025) will get a dedicated skateboard chassis- the current one uses a modified IC chassis. Will that put Ford in Chevy's 'boat'??

With the crazy prices these BE trucks are asking, and the supposed lesser costs of manufacturing, there had better be MORE configuration choices, not LESS.

I think that all depends what demand looks like. If they can make a business case for a single cab, 8' bed, they'll make one. If there's resistance in the commercial market towards EVs, they may hold off longer yet. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Rivian has proven that the skateboard chassis is actually easier to extend as they have their 8ft test mules out now. I expect this is more of a keep thing close to the vest. GM having stated they will have an HD EV line while ford has stated no plans for Super Duty EVs (Ford: No plans for all-electric Super Duty trucks (freep.com)) and yet has proven in their EV truck that it can pull more than Diesel with the Million pounds tow of the train and trucks.

I fully expect since GM has shown they can scale up and down the Ultium platform for various auto size needs that 6- and 8-foot trucks are in our future.

As Mary Barra has stated, HD Trucks will be out before 2035, yes long ways away, but does give them time to perfect their Ultium Platform.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Hummer EV sounds like it's pretty capable off road, though it's massive size and weight would be a hindrance, IMO. 

Most likely way too heavy but I'm pretty sure they will try to market as off road lol.

59 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think that all depends what demand looks like. If they can make a business case for a single cab, 8' bed, they'll make one. If there's resistance in the commercial market towards EVs, they may hold off longer yet. 

That sums it up best IMO. Like Ford, GM chose to put out the most popular cab configuration (four door crew cab) to "test the waters". If it is successful, then more will certainly come. It's just common sense to me.

Just now, surreal1272 said:

Most likely way too heavy but I'm pretty sure they will try to market as off road lol.

Yeah, I can't imagine taking a 9000lb, 7 ft wide Canyonero-wannabe EV on a narrow Rocky Mountain trail...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

but Rivian isn't interested in work/commercial pickup sales anyway.

And you know this for a fact?

Edit: Robert already answered it. Vans are already out which probably signals commercial pick ups in the future.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

That sums it up best IMO. Like Ford, GM chose to put out the most popular cab configuration (four door crew cab) to "test the waters". If it is successful, then more will certainly come. It's just common sense to me.

You'd think it's common sense... 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, I can't imagine taking a 9000lb, 7 ft wide Canyonero-wannabe EV on a narrow Rocky Mountain trail...

How much does a Unimog weigh? Close to 30K lbs, I believe and they are known for rock crawling. Give the Hummer some proper ground clearance, maybe a special off road package, and it can handle it. Narrow trails aside, it should be more than capable. 

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

How much does a Unimog weigh? Close to 30K lbs, I believe and they are known for rock crawling. Give the Hummer some proper ground clearance, maybe a special off road package, and it can handle it. Narrow trails aside, it should be more than capable. 

The Hummer EV is awfully long and wide, though...maybe more suited for wide-open desert trails.

• Upvote 1

Given the extreme climate in AZ, it will be interesting to see how much adoption more mainstream EVs will have.  I saw plenty of Teslas in Scottsdale, but people buy Teslas because they are Teslas.  I did hear a lot of anecdotal griping about Nissan Leafs and sharply reduced range in the fecal summer weather in the Phoenix area.

13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Given the extreme climate in AZ, it will be interesting to see how much adoption more mainstream EVs will have.  I saw plenty of Teslas in Scottsdale, but people buy Teslas because they are Teslas.  I did hear a lot of anecdotal griping about Nissan Leafs and sharply reduced range in the fecal summer weather in the Phoenix area.

The off roading crowd tends to hit the desert trails outside of the summer months. My cousin never took her Wrangler out on those trails during the summer. Whether it's EV or ICE, you know what that desert can do a Jeep or a Hummer when you're off the beaten path in 110-115 degree weather,

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Where /how did they “prove” this?

Any pics of the 8-ft bed mules?

You are missing the bigger point here. They already have commercial applications (in the form of vans) and the writing is clearly on the wall for the pick ups here unless you just want to keep nitpicking on something you never planned on buying in the first place. A successful launch and supporting successful sales will determine whether they actually go to market with one. 

Sorry but I just don't the reasons for all the nitpicking.

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

The off roading crowd tends to hit the desert trails outside of the summer months. My cousin never took her Wrangler out on those trails during the summer. Whether it's EV or ICE, you know what that desert can do a Jeep or a Hummer when you're off the beaten path in 110-115 degree weather,

True... about the only off-roading I did in the summers was to drive up to Pinetop, Jerome, or Flag and take some back country gravel and dirt trails.   Though I did a lot of summer drives across the void on the 10 or the 8 to the OC or San Diego to visit beaches... 

As far as the desert in the summer, I had one insane runner co-worker that used to go out at noon for running in triple digit weather. 

• Like 1

Just now, balthazar said:

I'm just asking a simple, pointed question; do all questions always have to balloon outward into 'the Grand Futuristic Vision' and actual data is banned now?

google it, I'm sure there are some spy photos out there...I saw a spy photo of a purported R1T extended cab version (with a smaller rear door than the crew cab), but the bed wasn't visible..

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

google it, I'm sure there are some spy photos out there...I saw a spy photo of a purported R1T extended cab version (with a smaller rear door than the crew cab), but the bed wasn't visible..

I think his point is there isn't anything that comes up when you search for that. I googled it and came up with zero spy shots or articles on it other than Insideevs.com saying they should make one. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think his point is there isn't anything that comes up when you search for that. I googled it and came up with zero spy shots or articles on it other than Insideevs.com saying they should make one. 

Yeah, who knows what's going on..if Rivian is developing other bed length versions they are keeping it internal and quiet for now...

• Upvote 1

@surreal1272 @Robert Hall Here are the specs of Unimog versus Hummer EV Truck.

Unimog U 4023/U 5023: Technical data - Mercedes-Benz Trucks - Trucks you can trust (mercedes-benz-trucks.com)

6 to 13 tones of weight depending on which model and configuration.

Wheelbase = 3,850 mm = 235-inch 

Body spec = 4,100 x 2,280 x 1,400 mm = 161.4 x 139.1 x 55.1 inches Length x Width x Height

Turning Radius = 16.4 meters = 54 feet

Ground Clearance = 10 to 20 inches depending on tire size.

Approach Angle = 41 to 46 degrees depending on model

Departure Angle = 39 to 50 degrees depending on model

Breakover Angle = none stated

Introducing the GMC HUMMER EVs | Electric Truck & SUV

Truck & SUV

Weight = 9,046 lbs or 

Wheelbase = 135.6 or 126.7 inches

Height = 79.1 or 77.8 inches

Width = 73.3 inches for both

Length = 216.8 or 206.7 inches

Turning Radius = 37 or 35 feet for 4-wheel steering / 44 or 45 feet for 2-wheel steering

Truck Ground Clearance = 11.9" to 15.9"

SUV Ground Clearance = 12" to 16"

Truck Approach Angle = 44 to 50 degrees

Truck Departure Angle = 33 to 39 degrees

Truck Breakover Angle = 25 to 32 degrees

SUV Approach Angle = 44 to 50 degrees

SUV Departure Angle = 41 to 50 degrees

SUV Breakover Angle = 27 to 35 degrees

Overall, I think the Hummer is a very capable off-road EV due to the hydraulic suspension system.

• Upvote 1

The only thing I saw was the 'extended cab' mule version; the bed is only a little longer because they took the space out of the cab- it appears to be the same wheelbase. That would make it a circa 5.5' bed, not 8'.

It's interesting how we seem to be moving into a 'don't ask questions or raise doubts' scenario WRT battery electrics; just... accept. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.09.57 PM.png

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Where /how did they “prove” this?

Any pics of the 8-ft bed mules?

As has been stated the same platform has been used for extended length Amazon Prime Delivery vans which proves they can easily build them longer no problem. Then on top of this, this story with leaked picture of a extended length truck got the CEO to say in other interviews they do have longer bed lengths being tested.

Did Rivian Accidentally Leak An Extended Cab Version Of The R1T Truck? (insideevs.com)

image.png

This of course led to these images.

image.png

• Upvote 1

So; no 8-ft bed or even 6.5-ft bed test mule pics. Same thing I found when searching.

'One has to wonder what's behind the claim that they're testing longer / long bed versions, and that it actually IS "easier" to stretch the chassis than it is for a IC vehicle... I mean; what do those making such claims have to GGAAIINNNNnnn n nnnn n nn ... .  .  . ..   . a-are they beholden to protecting -ahem- the stock price for investors?'

One wonders, one does. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.25.57 PM.png

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, balthazar said:

So; no 8-ft bed or even 6.5-ft bed test mule pics. Same thing I found when searching.

'One has to wonder what's behind the claim that they're testing longer / long bed versions, and that it actually IS "easier" to stretch the chassis than it is for a IC vehicle... I mean; what do those making such claims have to GGAAIINNNNnnn n nnnn n nn ... .  .  . ..   . a-are they beholden to protecting -ahem- the stock price for investors?'

One wonders, one does. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.25.57 PM.png

Good grief man. It's also not a FULL SIZE pick up. It is far closer to a Ranger size than an F-150. Now show me ONE current mid-size truck with an 8 ft bed. Then, you have a legitimate gripe.

34 minutes ago, David said:

As has been stated the same platform has been used for extended length Amazon Prime Delivery vans which proves they can easily build them longer no problem. Then on top of this, this story with leaked picture of a extended length truck got the CEO to say in other interviews they do have longer bed lengths being tested.

Did Rivian Accidentally Leak An Extended Cab Version Of The R1T Truck? (insideevs.com)

image.png

This of course led to these images.

image.png

Don't bother David. It doesn't need to have an 8 ft bed to begin with for the reasons I mentioned above. Just a dumb argument at this point IMO.

• Upvote 2