Buick News: Buick Introduces All-New Envista Compact SUV in China

David

The all-new Buick Envista compact SUV Embodies Buick's new global design language for the 21st century. The Buick Envista comes with the latest connectivity features, an efficient intelligent propulsion system and the first adoption of Tune Melody subwoofer 3D surround audio system, providing the demanding 21st century generation of buyers with a truly dynamic SUV mobility experience.

Picture4.jpg

The Envista represents the pure expression of the Buick design taken to the next level in this modern dynamic style. Per Buick, this expressive new face incorporates a forward-leaning nose with a low-mounted, wide-open modern grille in this all-new body-mounted tri-shield badged Buick. There is sophisticated styling starting with chrome accents to give it a premium smooth silhouette. The focus is that it conveys motion even when standing still.

The Envista will be available with the GS package, meeting customers' needs for a personalized experience. This includes exclusive black mesh grill and signature GS Elements.

Picture1.jpg

The Buick Envista is built on the All-New Global BFI platform that uses a one-piece high-strength body structure, providing excellent passive safety protection.

The Envista has the following proportions that deliver spacious interior and segment-leading legroom in the second row. The goal was an airy environment with a sense of lightness that flows throughout.

• Overall length of 4,638 mm or 183 inches
  • Overall width of 1,816 mm or 72 inches
  • Overall height of 1,565 mm or 62 inches
  • Overall wheelbase of 2,700 mm or 107 inches

The all-new cockpit system incorporates dual 10.25 inch high-definition touchscreens in the center stack and gauge cluster for a seamless integration inspiring driver confidence through easy access to vehicle controls and readability.

Picture7.jpg

Highlights of the intelligent digital user experience.

• An integrated dual 10.25-inch touchscreen featuring high definition and smooth operation
  • An optimized UI design employing a customized card-style interface
  • The all-new Baidu intelligent voice command system that supports voice interruption and multi-round interaction, multimedia research and customized voice configuration, making human-machine interaction more convenient and intuitive
  • The on-board Baidu navigation system features gesture control functionality, allowing seamless transit of navigation information from the center stack to the gauge cluster
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless charging support, along with support for multiple over-the-air (OTA) upgrades to keep its connectivity system up to date over time

The interior is done in premium soft leather and suede from the sporty flat bottom steering wheel to the dash and seats ensuring a premium feel.

Envista has a roomy interior with up to 28 storage spaces and 1,273 liters or 45 Cubic ft of cargo space. The latest eConnect system optimized to work with enhanced connectivity features giving a more dynamic, intuitive, digitalized user experience.

Picture6.jpg

Buick is proud to be the launch of GMs all-new Tune Melody Subwoofer 3D surround audio system giving a refined audio experience.

All Envista's are equipped with a 1.5L Turbo four-cylinder direct injected Ecotec engine paired to a chain drive transmission (CVT) delivering 135 kW or 181 hp ensuring a quick 0 to 100 km or 0 to 62.5 MPH time of 7.9 seconds. The all-new BFI Global platform has a new enhanced chassis and suspension system providing comfort with precise control. The all-new Envista will feature the latest Buick eCruise 360 degree surround view driver-assist technology to provide peace of mind.

Intuitive and Advanced Connectivity is as follows:

• An integrated dual 10.25-inch touchscreen featuring high definition and smooth operation
  • An optimized UI design employing a customized card-style interface
  • The all-new Baidu intelligent voice command system that supports voice interruption and multi-round interaction, multimedia research and customized voice configuration, making human-machine interaction more convenient and intuitive
  • The on-board Baidu navigation system featuring gesture control functionality, allowing seamless transit of navigation information from the center stack to the gauge cluster
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless charging support, along with support for multiple over-the-air (OTA) upgrades to keep its connectivity system up to date over time

Adding more personality besides the black mesh grill that comes in the GS package is that you also have 18" black painted wheels paired with Red Brake calipers for a youthful, sporty appearance. Customers can also choose from 6 exterior colors paired with 20 colors of paint protection film for a very personalized look.

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture5.jpg

View full article

This is where the mass market lies. 

Sedans are dying in the mass market, but not necessarily in the exclusive luxury market.  Also, 2 door cars will always exist in the sports car market.

But I do see UV styling, the UVs that are meant for average Joe hauling stuff around, evolving more into a high sedan hatchback look rather than the classic rugged offroad look of an SUV.  And if it continues to evolve into a more softer less UV look, the styling will eventually go full circle back into a more car like design.  

The Charger EV is kinda heading that way...  As a 2 door and rumour has it, it will retain its 4 door evolution.

Dodge Charger Daytona SRT EV: The Future Of Mopar Muscle - Forbes Wheels

FIRST LOOK: Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Banshee Concept! - MoparInsiders

The Pontiac Rageous concept, it seems,  was just much too much ahead of its time. 

Concept We Forgot: 1997 Pontiac Rageous

Concept We Forgot: 1997 Pontiac Rageous

Much like the Eagle...

The AMC Eagle - The Original American 4x4 Crossover

Kia EV6 Images - EV6 Interior & Exterior Photos & Gallery

Therefore, Im keeping a very positive vibe going forward with what it seems to be an EV styling revolution as to why we are heading in a more sedan like UV.

• Agree 1

On 9/3/2022 at 5:09 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Back to the Buick...

Its a gas powered thing.  A CVT transmission, 1.5 liter turbo 4. 

It looks like any other ho-hum CUV.

Just another generic CUV appliance..nothing special.   

I had no idea that Buick was trying to ape the Honda Accord Crosstour / Acura ZDX.  The wheelbase is longer than a current Encore and a little shorter than a current Envision.  Apparently GM has forgotten that NOBODY wants a hatchback disguised as a crossover.  The interior is rather good though.

@oldshurst442 @smk4565 @Robert Hall @riviera74 @surreal1272 

While not my cup of tea in exterior style as I hated the Honda Crosstour. This was a clean sheet design by the GM China Team in Shanghai. I have to think they are in sync with the local market better than any of us on the styles there. It will be interesting to see how this does for sales as Buick is one of the top 10 names in China. 

Top 10 Best-Selling Car Brands in China in 2020 (carlogos.org)

• #1. Volkswagen (2,675,384 units sold)
  • #2. Honda (1,603,590 units sold)
  • #3. Toyota (1,540,500 units sold)
  • #4. Nissan (1,133,211 units sold)
  • #5. Geely (1,064,007 units sold)
  • #6. Buick (885,206 units sold)
  • #7. Changan (784,801 units sold)
  • #8. Haval (701,605 units sold)
  • #9. Audi (674,700 units sold)
  • #10. Mercedes-Benz (645,449 units sold)

9 minutes ago, David said:

@oldshurst442 @smk4565 @Robert Hall @riviera74 @surreal1272 

While not my cup of tea in exterior style as I hated the Honda Crosstour. This was a clean sheet design by the GM China Team in Shanghai. I have to think they are in sync with the local market better than any of us on the styles there. It will be interesting to see how this does for sales as Buick is one of the top 3 names in China. 

Top 10 Best-Selling Car Brands in China in 2020 (carlogos.org)

• #1. Volkswagen (2,675,384 units sold)
  • #2. Honda (1,603,590 units sold)
  • #3. Toyota (1,540,500 units sold)
  • #4. Nissan (1,133,211 units sold)
  • #5. Geely (1,064,007 units sold)
  • #6. Buick (885,206 units sold)
  • #7. Changan (784,801 units sold)
  • #8. Haval (701,605 units sold)
  • #9. Audi (674,700 units sold)
  • #10. Mercedes-Benz (645,449 units sold)

That "clean sheet" is derivative boredom and ugliness on the outside. They should have went back to a drawing board IMO but the China market is very different beast than it is here in the states so at least I don't have to stare at one in person lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

That "clean sheet" is derivative boredom and ugliness on the outside. They should have went back to a drawing board IMO but the China market is very different beast than it is here in the states so at least I don't have to stare at one in person lol. 

I'm sure it would sell well here in the US...Americans love this generic CUV $h! as much as China..

Interesting that of the top 10 brands in China only 3 are home-grown brands..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

It does make one wonder if the way they school the kids and attempt under communist rule to make everyone fit in if that does not lend to the lack of creativity and originality. Seems people who want to break with traditions in China either leave the country or end up under house arrest if they are successful.

I hate to think it, but this is supposed to be their new global styling which means the importation of Buicks from China are going to look like this and suck big time.

While not as hideous to me as the whole Toyota/Lexus Predator mouth grill thing, it is a very BLAH impression as others have pointed out.

35 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

so clearly the focus in on China.

Not as clear as you say it is.  But yeah, the focus from GM and Buick has been China for awhile now.

37 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

GM is offering buyouts to Buick dealers in the USA

Yes they are.

But I am curious to know why you say it like this

38 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

GM is offering buyouts to Buick dealers in the USA, so clearly the focus in on China.

Because those buyout offers are not as how you insinuate they are...   You know, to focus on China. 

Because those buyouts are for those Buick dealerships that do not want to go forward with the all electric Buick portfolio in the very near future.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/02/gm-offers-to-buy-out-buick-dealers-that-dont-want-to-invest-in-evs.html

GM offers to buy out Buick dealers that don’t want to invest in EVs

• General Motors is offering buyouts to U.S. Buick dealers that don’t want to make investments in the brand’s transition to exclusively offer all-electric vehicles domestically by 2030.
  • The buyout offers are the latest efforts by GM to accelerate the company’s electric vehicle plans and transform its sales network.
  • The company offered similar buyouts to Cadillac dealers in 2020.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41075272/buick-buyout-dealers-ev-sales/

With the Electra EV on the horizon and the pledge that all Buicks will be electric SUVs by 2030, some of the more traditional dealerships are not prepared to go along for the ride.

• Buick has made it clear that its future lies in two directions. First, the brand will only sell EVs after 2030. Second, all Buicks will be SUVs.
  • Dealers who aren’t aligned with that future will be given an off-ramp, Buick global vice president Duncan Aldred said this week.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Not as clear as you say it is.  But yeah, the focus from GM and Buick has been China for awhile now.

Yes they are.

Because those buyout offers are not as how you insinuate they are...   You know, to focus on China. 

Because those buyouts are for those Buick dealerships that do not want to go forward with the all electric Buick portfolio in the very near future.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/02/gm-offers-to-buy-out-buick-dealers-that-dont-want-to-invest-in-evs.html

This makes total sense as just as Cadillac, GM has had WAY TOO MANY Dealerships for some time, and this will allow dealerships to take some money and run. 

GM benefits as they reduce their dealerships making the remaining ones more profitable.

I see nothing wrong with this as those dealerships that have already merged into a Buick/GMC dealership at the minimum or more as we have a couple GM Super Dealerships where you find all 4 lines in one place will and should be able to do better. Have two EV lines if it is a super, 4 product line dealership or at least one EV and ONE ICE/EV dealership will just give plenty of options.

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yes they are.

I get that the purpose of the buy outs is not to build cars in China, but it is more a function of the majority of Buick sales are in China, and also China is pushing for all EV's so Buick USA is basically going to get product that is either from Buick of China, thus mostly EV's.  Or Buick will get a version of an Chevy/GMC.  The buy outs of Cadillac and Buick dealers is basically because they have to upgrade to EV or go away, and the Cadillac and Buick brands aren't growing, they need to trim some fat anyway.

Apparently, there are nearly 2000 Buick dealerships in the USA, with only about 13 that are standalone Buick-only dealers.  Culling the herd when Buick only sells fewer cars in six months than China does in three months (during 2022!) is the only way to address the lack of sales leading to such poor profits at the dealership level.  Cadillac had to cull the herd and they were successful.  Buick could have a dealership count of less than half of their current total and it would probably work out nicely.  GM does not have the market share it held in the 1960s or the 1970s or the 1980s or even the 1990s.  Using the EV car thing might be a convenient excuse to cut the fat and lose the tiny non-productive ones, but it should work.  Ideally, the under-performing dealers would have been shuttered back in 2008-10, since Buick does not need them anymore, and has not needed them in 20 years.

China is Buick's present and future.  Buick USA dealers need to get with the program or get out.

• Agree 2

In the last 20 years, has anybody ever gone to a Chevy/Buick/GMC dealership and were looking for a Buick prior to getting there? 

I feel like people buy Buicks because they kind of "fell into them". They certainly liked the product but I don't know anybody who started car shopping FOR a Buick. I definitely know people who have bought Buicks but I'm almost positive none of them went to the dealership actively looking for a Buick. They went looking at the Chevy or GMC and liked the Buick more or it was priced/packaged how they wanted. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

In the last 20 years, has anybody ever gone to a Chevy/Buick/GMC dealership and were looking for a Buick prior to getting there? 

I feel like people buy Buicks because they kind of "fell into them". They certainly liked the product but I don't know anybody who started car shopping FOR a Buick. I definitely know people who have bought Buicks but I'm almost positive none of them went to the dealership actively looking for a Buick. They went looking at the Chevy or GMC and liked the Buick more or it was priced/packaged how they wanted. 

I can say that my Sister Lisa wanted a Buick when it came time to replace her Mazda and asked for my help in 2017 when she bought her fully loaded Buick Envision. She loved the look in an ad and that sold her on it especially in the Garnet Red color they had. She is not alone if you are looking for an AWD premium level car without the price of total luxury, then Buick is a good candidate. Way better than Acura for sure.

25 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Nothing more American than shopping for a Chinese built American branded automobile!  😜

We'll she is already thinking of going back to Mazda. Loves her Buick, but loves the look of the new Mazda 5 in their Dragon Red. Her partner is all about American auto only, where my sister seems to think it is no big deal to buy Asian.  After all, she says I married a Korean.

😒

I do tell her that my wife is an American Citizen and not an auto. 🙄

• Haha 1