Rivian Files For Patent on Reconfigurable Bed

According to RivianForums.com, Electric vehicle startup Rivian has filed for a patent on an innovative new reconfigurable bed system for the Rivian R1T pickup truck.  The system is comprised of different moduals that can be swapped out depending on what use the owner has in mind.  Users would be able to choose from a flatbed, a cargo bed, a bed with side rails, and a couple of bed cap options.    The bed system shows off one of the advantages of the skateboard style platform that underpins the R1T and Rivian R1SRivian_patent-module-bed-configuration-1.jpg

The truck will be able to detect which module is installed and adjust things like suspension dampening, ride height, and braking to best match the new configuration. 

This is the second patent filing for Rivian that involves modularity. The first was a removable truck bed auxiliary battery to extend the driving range of the vehicle.

Hit the source link below to visit Rivian Forums and check out their renders of possible configurations of the R1T reconfigurable bed system. 

Related:

View full article

This is very exciting, I wonder if one could get a longer bed then to replace the standard 4.5' bed. That would allow them to build a single truck with bed length options.

The future of trucks / SUV's based on a skateboard concept is what will bring true customization to peoples orders as they can mix n match what they want in their auto.

EXCITING TIMES! :metal:  

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Applause all around for Rivian.  Now if only GM would get around to their own version of this. . . .

Hopefully their investment in Rivian gets them access to the platform so they can get it to market fast.

2 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Catch is people might want to learn how to use it.. 😮 

The idea is great, but......

Sorry, might be late due to long work day, but what do you mean people might want to learn how to use what? 

The optional bed features, the skateboard platform for building auto's? Please clarify for my tired brain. Thank you :) 

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Catch is people might want to learn how to use it.. 😮 

The idea is great, but......

That's what training videos and manuals are for..  of course, to make this appealing to a younger market it should be dynamically reconfigurable via a phone app...transformers! 

This reminds me of a very very old thing from the early years of automodom.. both Henry Ford and Billy Durant went after basically Farmers in trying to appeal to them with farm vehicles.. One of which was a Farm car called the Samson Car. Powered by a Chevy engine, the Back was a bed for carrying stuff, but U could quickly install or remove the seats in the rear to accommodate a family of 9 or haul cargo. I don't thing it ever really got off the ground tho.

GM-Samson-Tractor-Feature-Image-720x340.

14 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

This reminds me of a very very old thing from the early years of automodom.. both Henry Ford and Billy Durant went after basically Farmers in trying to appeal to them with farm vehicles.. One of which was a Farm car called the Samson Car. Powered by a Chevy engine, the Back was a bed for carrying stuff, but U could quickly install or remove the seats in the rear to accommodate a family of 9 or haul cargo. I don't thing it ever really got off the ground tho.

GM-Samson-Tractor-Feature-Image-720x340.

Very cool, found this on it too: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/03/gm-advertised-but-never-sold-a-single-unit-of-the-samson-car-history-alley/

I see they had plans to produce 2,250 of these cars the first year and then 5,000 the second but none other than the prototype ever got built and while it was announced, it actually never went into production. Very interesting for GM and the acquired Samson tractor company.

16 hours ago, dfelt said:

Sorry, might be late due to long work day, but what do you mean people might want to learn how to use what? 

The optional bed features, the skateboard platform for building auto's? Please clarify for my tired brain. Thank you :) 

Well, you and I can figure it out, but I find most folks are not so good at that interchangeable stuff.....could see them falling off on the freeway...🤣

On 3/20/2019 at 7:18 PM, daves87rs said:

Well, you and I can figure it out, but I find most folks are not so good at that interchangeable stuff.....could see them falling off on the freeway...🤣

On 3/20/2019 at 7:19 PM, daves87rs said:

Somehow I just picture Ikea.......

Lego trucks.