Corvette Returns to Nurburgring

Corvette Returns to Nurburgring

New 2012 models eclipse previous-best lap times at Germany's famed testing ground

<iframe frameborder='0' scrolling='no' align='middle' SRC='http://mediasuite.multicastmedia.com/player.php?v=w8a8i47o' height='215' width='280' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

DETROIT – Corvette returned to the world's most-demanding testing ground – Germany's famed Nurburgring – and recorded lap times that rank among the fastest recorded for a production car.

As detailed on video, the 2012 Corvette ZR1 recorded a lap time of 7:19.63, more than six seconds faster than the previous Corvette-best recorded in 2008. A lap video featuring the Corvette Z06 will be released soon.

"Testing at the Nurburgring is one of the important methods we have to validate our car in the toughest track conditions." says Tadge Juechter, Corvette vehicle line director and chief engineer.

Measuring 12.9 miles (20.8 km) and including some 154 turns, the Nurburgring's Nordschleife ("north loop") is widely considered the world's most-demanding course. As was the case at Corvette's last test in 2008, the car was driven by Corvette engineer Jim Mero and was a full production model with no performance modifications. This test was to validate the car's added performance technology coming to production later this summer for the 2012 model year.

Corvette's improved performance for 2012 begins with the new, optional Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which are available on the two highest-performing models, the lightweight, 505-hp (377 kW) Z06 and the maximum-performance, 638-hp (476 kW) supercharged ZR1. They are competition-oriented tires, optimized for warm, dry conditions to increase cornering and handling capability.

When combined with the Corvette's exclusive Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tires set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance.

------------------

DD - 4.59 second faster than the '11 Nissan GT-R,

• Agree 1

Further proof that cow-towing to DOHC fanbois is not necessary.

What proof? You have no DOHC engine to compare it too for a real assesment. Once or if they produce an engine you can make such a statment. Just because it has DOHC does not make it less able to make as much or more power. You are smart enought to know that.

Besides did you account for the parasitic loss of power to drive the supercharger? LOL!

I wonder if we will see a boost in power in the future? I remember the GM engineer who over spoke on the ZR1 engine said it could pass the emissions and warranty test up to 725 HP with no issues. I wonder if they will raise it up as a send off for the C6 before it is done?

I love these video's. Job well done Vette team!

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The proof is that a pushrod RWD sports car beat the Turbo DOHC AWD computerized wonder that does the driving for you so you don't make any mistakes.

No one said it could not be done.

A well trained driver and the Vette is not full less electronics. It may not be to the over kill extent of the Nissan which is good but the Vette has systems that can make a average driver a much better driver.

I am begining to think this is high school again?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

I've always been told that CIB is inferior in every way and that the Corvette was falling behind the likes of the GT-R and 911 Turbo. Next up: Complaints about how the Corvette's armrest isn't as soft touch as the Nissan's.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The proof is that a pushrod RWD sports car beat the Turbo DOHC AWD computerized wonder that does the driving for you so you don't make any mistakes.

A well trained driver and the Vette is not full less electronics. It may not be to the over kill extent of the Nissan which is good but the Vette has systems that can make a average driver a much better driver.

There is 7 pages of posts in the other thread of people saying that the Corvette couldn't be competitive unless it goes DOHC.

I also didn't say the Corvette didn't have electronics (however, it does have a competition mode that lets you shut most of them down.) The Nissan has 3 computer controlled differentials... that's a bit more computer intrusion... and the only way to get those numbers in the GT-R is with those computers. The Corvette + skilled driver performs better without.

It's not highschool. It's proof that the "DOHC ONLY" drumbeat isn't all it's cracked up to be.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

i remember reading an article in a rag where they were running three 09 vettes. Z51 optioned one, a Z06, and the ZR1. out of the three all drivers agreed that the Z06 was the broncho of the trio. no nanny systems to essentially speak of, it was the one that would show you just how good or how bad you sucked as a driver. face it, cars are becoming more like aircraft. from the wood and wire biplanes of WWI, to the alloys and hydrolic assists of WWII, to the computerized fly by wire systems that make multiple corrective assists and functions of the F22.

There is 7 pages of posts in the other thread of people saying that the Corvette couldn't be competitive unless it goes DOHC.

I also didn't say the Corvette didn't have electronics (however, it does have a competition mode that lets you shut most of them down.) The Nissan has 3 computer controlled differentials... that's a bit more computer intrusion... and the only way to get those numbers in the GT-R is with those computers. The Corvette + skilled driver performs better without.

It's not highschool. It's proof that the "DOHC ONLY" drumbeat isn't all it's cracked up to be.

No one in the other thread said it could not be competitive unless it goes DOHC only. Nearly everyone there that supports the DOHC only wants it as an option and keep the pushrod. Don't add to what was ever stated. As stated many many times to have both engines is a win win deal for GM.

This is more than about NA market anymore. We need to look at the big picture as GM has clearly pointed out again this week. You have to give places like Europe what they want or GM will fail again to sell in Europe and the Vette will never do as well as it can there. What is offered there would make a nice option here. The pushrod is good enough to not be treatened by it in my view.

It is kind of like car colors. Not everyone wants black so they give you options.

As for the GTR I hate the car. As for the Vette it is not pure non electric sports car as while not up to the GTR level it does have some good systems on board but you can atleast shut them off.

So let me make this clear I am in favor of keeping the Pushrods. I just would like to see an option engine to compliment sales and offer what many in the market want. It is all about giving the customer what they want and selling car is it not. In todays market you can never say we sell enough as present sales levels can vanish in months. Today you need to be aggresive and fight for every sale.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

That is an amazing time. My first thought was about the tires, and if they are racing tires, but from what I read, even though they are designed for a track, they are street legal road tires. So that is quite the achievement.