Build Theme!

Photo

LeftLane News: Cadillac DT7 Flagship Sedan To Be Based On FWD Platform.

198 replies to this topic

cire

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

This appeared on LeftLane News today concerning the "DT7", the flagship sedan replacement for the DTS/STS in Cadillac's lineup. If it is true, then it won't be good news to many who want the brand to have RWD based products only.

Visit My Website

Source: LeftLane News

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,898 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

Suicide.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

What a shame. Cadillac, for a large majority, was doing so well too.

Better to just cancel the whole DT7 program than to execute it this way.

If the top-drawer Cadillac is the CTS for a while, so be it. At least it is a world-class product and a legitimate contender.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

Wow, GM really is just trying to run itself into the ground if this is true.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

Didn't they learn from last time?! Nice work GM, you'll be on par with Acura.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

If it ain't front-drive, it ain't THE STANDARD OF THE WORLD!

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

LOL we could star t a Cadillac thread next...

Oracle of Delphi

Proto European

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

Was that Chris Doane's name I saw on that article? smilewide.gif

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

ITS TEH STANDARDZ OF TEH WORLDZ

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

Well, well, well. Let's all just back the fun bus the f@#k up here fellas. I believe I've found the STANDARD OF THE WORLD!

Edited by YellowJacket894, 26 February 2009 - 10:37 PM.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,542 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

At least it would be step up from the DTS--maybe even have a 6 speed automatic instead of the ancient 4 speed? But what name--DT7 is lame.

But, a large FWD/AWD Cadillac could be competitive with Lincoln, since the MKS is FWD/AWD.

Edited by moltar, 26 February 2009 - 10:40 PM.

Oracle of Delphi

Proto European

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (YellowJacket894 @ Feb 26 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, well, well. Let's all just back the fun bus the f@#k up here fellas. I believe I've found the STANDARD OF THE WORLD!

It looks like the BLS ...

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Pontiac Custom-S)
It looks like BulLShit ...

Fixed.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

Looks like a Saab.

Honestly, why the hell go through all the trouble of building the brand back up, just to flush it back down the toilet? I mean, teh CTS has highhandedly brought the brand respectability, and the right to be called The Standard of the World. Imagine what a 2nd car equally good would do? BUt no....GM is fucking retarded, and thinks that FWD is what luxury buyers want. Ask Acura how RL sales have been doing.

regfootball

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

i think they are assuming a couple things.

1) any lux car must be sold AWD going forward and so why bother with anything RWD bias if more of their cars are to be FWD to start with
2) they feel regulations going forward on emissions and mpg can only be met with lighter duty platforms
3) they feel they can get adequate performance for the customer with suspension and steering tuning to manage the engine placement and weight distribution

to me this means not a lot of the DT7 will be FWD if they want to be taken seriously.

For me, I can never afford this car anyways. But honestly, why can GM sustain one rear bias platform?

cire

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

If it is true (the article attributes the info to the mysterious "sources within the automaker"), then I wonder if the next gen CTS line will end up on Eps II also (as well as what was supposed to be a RWD Alpha based compact Cadillac series). I can't see GM continuing to support and develop Sigma if it is going to end up carrying one product line only (mainly CTS). With the corporation's precarious financial difficulties, they may stretch Epsilon to cover as many products as possible in the future in an effort to reduce costs. Instead of Cadillac challenging Mercedes and BMW with RWD based products, maybe GM will have to refocus the division's sights on Audi instead. Losing Saab would allow GM to position Cadillac as more of an AWD luxury brand instead of a true MB/BMW competitor. My only hope now is that the resulting DT7 will not end up as a direct replacement for the geriatric DTS. Even if the car ends up on a FWD platform, it still doesn't have to be a senior-mobile. At the very least, the car should come standard with AWD and a turbocharged DI V6 engine. If the gosh darn thing can't be RWD (which I agree would be preferable), at least engineer/style/equip it to be something other than the recommended ride for AARP.

Edited by cire, 26 February 2009 - 10:52 PM.

regfootball

• Members
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (YellowJacket894 @ Feb 26 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, well, well. Let's all just back the fun bus the fuck up here fellas. I believe I've found the STANDARD OF THE WORLD!

truth is i would drive this if it were priced same as saab and available here. i like the 9-3 although a little extra leg room would be nice.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

I think GM just needs to go to one brand: Chevrolet. That's the only brand they can't screw up (well they can but it's a lot harder).

Oracle of Delphi

Proto European

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Dodgefan @ Feb 26 2009, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think GM just needs to go to one brand: Chevrolet. That's the only brand they can't screw up (well they can but it's a lot harder).

Be careful what you wish for ...

regfootball

• Members
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (cire @ Feb 26 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is true (the article attributes the info to the mysterious "sources within the automaker"), then I wonder if the next gen CTS line will end up on Eps II also (as well as what was supposed to be a RWD Alpha based compact Cadillac series). I can't see GM continuing to support and develop Sigma if it is going to end up carrying one product line only (mainly CTS). With the corporation's precarious financial difficulties, they may stretch Epsilon to cover as many products as possible in the future in an effort to reduce costs. Instead of Cadillac challenging Mercedes and BMW with RWD based products, maybe GM will have to refocus the division's sights on Audi instead. Losing Saab would allow GM to position Cadillac as more of an AWD luxury brand instead of a true MB/BMW competitor. My only hope now is that the resulting DT7 will not end up as a direct replacement for the geriatric DTS. Even if the car ends up on a FWD platform, it still doesn't have to be a senior-mobile. At the very least, the car should come standard with AWD and a turbocharged DI V6 engine. If the gosh darn thing can't be RWD (which I agree would be preferable), at least equip it to be something other than the recommended ride for AARP.

you could have read my mind with that entire post.

here is where they are going

mercedes / bmw > cadillac > acura > vw

although it troubles me a bit since audis new platforms are no longer heavy front bias. although i think audi is trying too hard to go up market too.

perhaps the world ahead will be all new. maybe rwd platforms will come close to extinction before our eyes in the next decade.

rest assured too, cadillac is trying for volume here. people, this economic crash means people won't be spending as much on luxury cars anytime soon. the luxury segment may drop down in transaction price and perhaps cadillac is only viable competing in a higher volume / lower price segment now.

so why would we need buick then? Just asking. I still wonder why Pontiac has to go.

Edited by regfootball, 26 February 2009 - 10:52 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users