Next-gen Malibu Still A Year Off For the U.S.

Next-gen Malibu Still A Year Off For the U.S.

gallery_51_35_7032.jpg

Chris Doane - CheersandGears.com

January 27, 2011

If you were hoping to drive the next-generation Chevy Malibu this summer, you'll need to ask yourself one question.

"Do I live in the United States?"

If you answered yes, call your travel agent and make sure your passport is up-to-date. Any summer wheelin' in the new Malibu will require a quick hop to Korea.

Earlier today, GM announced to several of its' suppliers that the start of regular production for the U.S. market Chevy Malibu would be in early January of 2012. If that seems like a long wait, count your blessings. The original timeline didn't have production kicking off until May 2012.

Much like the rollout for the Chevy Cruze, export markets should get their hands on the new Malibu quite a bit sooner. Built in Korea, and wearing a Holden Epica badge, this foreign market version will go into production in the summer, or early Fall, of this year. While that might irritate American buyers, it may at least point to a debut of the Malibu at the 2011 New York Auto Show.

Once Chevy starts churning out the new Malibu from the Fairfax and Detroit Hamtramck plants, there's not likely to be any V6 engines under the hood. Instead, you'll find the 2.4L SIDI 4-cylinder or the direct-inject, turbo-charged 2.0L 4-cylinder.

There will also be a "mild hybrid" Malibu, utilizing the second generation Belt Alternator System. Formerly dubbed "BAS-Plus," we now know it as "eAssist." The same system will appear in the 2012 Buick Lacrosse where it is said to increase fuel economy by 25%. Similar gains should be expected in the Malibu.

For fans of the current Malibu, GM will continue building them through the 2012 model year. Expect it to wear a "Classic" badge during its' final run.

© 2011 CheersandGears.com - Do not republish without permission

Related:

:forum:Spyshots as the 2012 Malibu draws closer

:forum:Understanding the 2012 Buick Lacrosse eAssist

:forum:Buick: What We've Learned - Verano likely to get eAssist

classic redux.......just say fleet

bye bye v6, thanks feds

should be interesting the transformation this time around. hopefully its just a good solid basic car that improves the interior and trunk space. Current Malibu is decent, but things change so fast in this segment. Malibu wants to go vanilla now. I think the eAssist may turn out to be a nice feature for this car.

actually should be interesting to see how the turbo ends up acceleration wise.

Edited by regfootball

I am not impressed. A Chevrolet Malibu... just another GM Generica sedan? Unconscionable. There's nothing to be enthused about with GM anymore.

This car is to make money and get MPG and that is all it is to do at least to this point. That is all the Accord and Camry were too and they made a hell of a lot of money. The fact is the general boring cars are bought by the many generally boaring people.

There were reports a month or two ago we had posted here that the BU was a ways off yet so this is not anything new.

We will have other cars for the rest in the future. Just never expect each and every car to appeal to all people anymore. Each one has a target market and on this site the Bu is not targeted at most of us.

My point being... a Chevrolet Malibu should be nothing else. And it, since 1964, has been an AMERICAN product. For this legendary name to be introduced in some far-off land under a different guise... FIRST... just seems absolutely wrong and totally foreign to everything that has made me believe in GM my whole life. They suck, simply put.

I don't see what the big surprise is here....

Chevrolet IS a Korean brand. Most of their cars are designed there, ALL of their cars are designed to sell to that price range and even in america, apparently they're only competing with the bottom end of the market now. (former Korean slot)

I guess Corvette (which is becoming it's own brand, in a way) and Camaro will be the exceptions, unless the F6 is cheapened and beaten with an ugly stick.

I don't see what the big surprise is here....

Chevrolet IS a Korean brand. Most of their cars are designed there, ALL of their cars are designed to sell to that price range and even in america, apparently they're only competing with the bottom end of the market now. (former Korean slot)

I guess Corvette (which is becoming it's own brand, in a way) and Camaro will be the exceptions, unless the F6 is cheapened and beaten with an ugly stick.

uh... what?

This is an Epsilon II platform... designed mostly in the U.S. with a bit of help from the Germans. The next Malibu is a restyled Regal, which makes is more German than Korean.

Jim doesn't look Korean to me.

3181934_599_full.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

uh... what?

This is an Epsilon II platform... designed mostly in the U.S. with a bit of help from the Germans. The next Malibu is a restyled Regal, which makes is more German than Korean.

Isn't the Malibu going to be a Chevywoo international model, replacing the Epica outside NA? Like the Cruze, Aveo and Spark..all from GMDAT or whatever they are calling it this week...

Isn't the Malibu going to be a Chevywoo international model, replacing the Epica outside NA? Like the Cruze, Aveo and Spark..all from GMDAT or whatever they are calling it this week...

Which means Korea is getting an American car. Not the other way around.

Selling a Chevrolet Malibu (remember, no more Daewoo-branded vehicles) or "Epica" overseas first to "get the bugs out" could also be perceived this way: GM has no confidence in the product, no confidence in their development testing, and they're using the buying public in Korea and Australia as guinea pigs before bringing it to its home market. Brutal criticism? Perhaps, but this practice is a sketchy one. Like the Cruze, US buyers will see it online for, oh... how many months or years before they can buy it, greatly reducing its freshness when it finally does hit the lots here.

Like the Cruze, US buyers will see it online for, oh... how many months or years before they can buy it, greatly reducing its freshness when it finally does hit the lots here.[/b]

That's only the enthusiast community, though..99% of car buyers have no knowledge of the existence of car markets outside the US.

Hasn't the Malibu always been a boring sedan (this side of 1990)?

Yes, from when it replaced the Corsica and the name came back in '97. Even the last RWD ones from '78-83 were as dull as their FWD replacements (Celebrity).

Selling a Chevrolet Malibu (remember, no more Daewoo-branded vehicles) or "Epica" overseas first to "get the bugs out" could also be perceived this way: GM has no confidence in the product, no confidence in their development testing, and they're using the buying public in Korea and Australia as guinea pigs before bringing it to its home market. Brutal criticism? Perhaps, but this practice is a sketchy one. Like the Cruze, US buyers will see it online for, oh... how many months or years before they can buy it, greatly reducing its freshness when it finally does hit the lots here.

other manufacturers do it too.

Wow!

How can people that are normally well informed be so far off on the Bu and it's roots?

As the cars move more to the future there is not going to be a Korean car, German car or American car. They will be GM cars with help from the many division around the world. They will work much like many companies work like Airbus.

As for market cars, you have already seen where the Cruze is a world car but it is still tuned and appointed to each market. While the basic car is the same it is not identical.

As for boring Malibus they always have been boring accept for the the limited numbers of SS from 40 years ago. Trust me I know as we have had 67-68-69-70-72-73 and 08 Bu's in the family. We also had a 68 SS and 72 Sprint SP these being the only non boring ones.

The Malibu is a high value family car and always has been. Most even in the RWD days were 307 and 305 engined and 4 doors.

Like it or not the Malibu is a Family car not a Audi killer. If the new car has 4 doors, present good quality and value it has hit it's target. This is not a we need to see AWD and a V8 in to be what the market wants.

GM is not trying to copy what Toyota wants but what the public at large wants. I think too many get confused on the boring car and that the fact is Toyota and Honda are building what they average car buyer wants. God knows they have sold a crap load of them and no one held a gun on anyone to buy them.

Again lets see what this car is and at least sit in it let alone drive it to see if GM has hit the taget market it is ment for. Just note the comments of a few here that have driven a Cruze and found while they may not buy one found a car that was better than they ever imagined.

My parents owned a '66 SS396 4 speed, then, after the divorce and Viet Nam, my dad owned a '70 307 auto, a '71 350 4 speed, a '78 200 3 speed, and he currently has a '67 SS396 4 speed. My mom owned a '72 307 auto. All coupes. So yeah, I am familiar with lots of different flavors. I know what the car is.

I just googled and looked at Mr. Doane's spy shots of the next one in winter testing, and it is a handsome looking car, incomplete and in camo. I just cannot be happy about this shift in priorities at GM. Used to be... an American car debuted here first, THEN was sent overseas. Now we play second fiddle. I can see how some people would say they took our money and left the country.

Edited by ocnblu

Yes, from when it replaced the Corsica and the name came back in '97. Even the last RWD ones from '78-83 were as dull as their FWD replacements (Celebrity).

They may have been boring when 90% of the cars on the roads were relatively stylish late '70s models... but now in a sea of Meh, the '78-'83 Malibus look downright cool... and even the Celebrity is starting to look pretty good.

Of course, the Celebrity was available as a coupe and wagon... and that makes it more desirable to me than most of the current lineup (Camaro, Caprice PPV, Corvette and Impala excepted).

Yeah... I'd love to see a 2012 Malibu coupe and wagon. There's an Insignia wagon, why can't there be a Regal and Malibu wagon? Yes, the Magnum is off the market, and the CTS is a luxury car, but I see a good number of Jetta wagons... because they're useful, they serve the wagon purpose. Not to mention lots of older wagons still on the road because those folks cannot buy a suitable replacement.

• Agree 2

I just cannot be happy about this shift in priorities at GM. Used to be... an American car debuted here first, THEN was sent overseas. Now we play second fiddle. I can see how some people would say they took our money and left the country.

It's not really a GM shift, it's an industry shift.

Yes, the Malibu will be a global car this time. You're going to see more global programs from GM in the next few years.

It's the same story at Ford. Ford is currently developing the CD4 platform. They will use this very flexible platform for many, many vehicles here and in Europe. Fusion, MKZ, Edge, MKS, Mondeo, Taurus, MKS, etc. You would not believe the time and resources Ford is pouring into CD4. I feel pretty confident they'll get it right.

Toyota already does it with their MC platform.

Audi has transitioned a good deal of its lineup to the MLB platform.

If OEMs don't think globally, they'll be filling out unemployment forms. Look how close GM and Chrysler came to just that.

Yeah... I'd love to see a 2012 Malibu coupe and wagon. There's an Insignia wagon, why can't there be a Regal and Malibu wagon? Yes, the Magnum is off the market, and the CTS is a luxury car, but I see a good number of Jetta wagons... because they're useful, they serve the wagon purpose. Not to mention lots of older wagons still on the road because those folks cannot buy a suitable replacement.

Wagons are like standard shift. There are some people who want them and a lot of people who don't. Change the market wants and they will build it.

If there was money in Wagons we would have 72 types of wagons. But the brutal truth is that it is a limited market with limited return. That is why only the more expensive wagons are profitable as they can charge enought to cover the cost to build them in limited numbers.

Well then, you get me a new GM compact truck here in the USA after 2012, dammit Mr. Doane!

I suspect we will see the smaller truck at some point. GM has one and they need more MPG the key will be to price it low enough to make it appeal to those who can not afford the larger trucks. It is hard to sell the small trucks with the large ones discounted down to the price of the small ones.

Yes yes hyper, I know all dat. I am not delusional, I just wish the vehicle forecast was better. It's all doldrums, if you ask me. They are abandoning their American roots in lieu of globalism, and I predict they'll be sorry. Global platform sharing is an excellent idea, I'm not saying it isn't, but the vehicles need to be tailored for their intended market, not homogenized.

It's not really a GM shift, it's an industry shift.

Yes, the Malibu will be a global car this time. You're going to see more global programs from GM in the next few years.

It's the same story at Ford. Ford is currently developing the CD4 platform. They will use this very flexible platform for many, many vehicles here and in Europe. Fusion, MKZ, Edge, MKS, Mondeo, Taurus, MKS, etc. You would not believe the time and resources Ford is pouring into CD4. I feel pretty confident they'll get it right.

Toyota already does it with their MC platform.

Audi has transitioned a good deal of its lineup to the MLB platform.

If OEMs don't think globally, they'll be filling out unemployment forms. Look how close GM and Chrysler came to just that.

This is very true. It is something they have been wanting to do for years but just never they could never get many of the companies on the same world wide page.

The other thing we will see in the future with the rising cost of developing cars is joint efforts bettween companies on developing parts of the car. We have already seen GM work with Honda, Ford and BMW in recent years. We will see more of this in the future.

Smaller companies like BMW and Honda will need to sell, co develope or buy from the outside vendors things like transmission and engines and other technology.

Companys as large as Toyota, VW, GM and Ford will want to share the cost while the smaller companies will have to share the cost or sell out to the larger companies.

This is also why we see companies like Porsche Engineering and Lotus share technology, product and even car platforms to make it in todays marker. The Tesla is based on a Lotus because Lotus needs the money.

As it was stated a few years back almost everyone will need a dance partner in the future to either share cost or just to survive.

Yes yes hyper, I know all dat. I am not delusional, I just wish the vehicle forecast was better. It's all doldrums, if you ask me. They are abandoning their American roots in lieu of globalism, and I predict they'll be sorry. Global platform sharing is an excellent idea, I'm not saying it isn't, but the vehicles need to be tailored for their intended market, not homogenized.

They do some tailoring, like w/ the Cruze...other markets get more engine choices. GM is an international company, they can't put their head in the sand and focus on one declining market, they have to go where the growth is...

The truth is the public as a whole has become global. Today people no longer see products as American, European or Asian. No matter if it is a TV, Radio, Car, Airplane, Computer etc.

To many Honda and Toyota are as American as Ford and Chevy.

The truth is no matter what is built right now it is what the average buyer wants. The keys are Affordable [how much per month], Good MPG, Reliable, Warranty and easy to drive. The sad fact is for most part people have a solid love affair with technology and their cell phones and no longer have a major love affair with their cars. At one time it was status to have the latest and greatest car on the market and for many anymore it is to have the fastest and advanced cell phone.

We here the car enthusiast are a dying breed.

• Agree 2

I just googled and looked at Mr. Doane's spy shots of the next one in winter testing, and it is a handsome looking car, incomplete and in camo. I just cannot be happy about this shift in priorities at GM. Used to be... an American car debuted here first, THEN was sent overseas. Now we play second fiddle. I can see how some people would say they took our money and left the country.[/b]

You'd rather GM release a vehicle to the largest, most competitive car market only to potentially have one small issue magnified out of proportion causing the media, and public to immediately discard the vehicle as inferior and say GM IS TEH GUVMENT SUXOR MOTORRZ? What on Earth is wrong with GM using other markets as test-cases? If anything, this means they place a HUGE degree of importance on the American car market, because they want the car to be perfect at launch so American consumers won't have any first year reliability woes and the car will debut to positive reviews.

They do some tailoring, like w/ the Cruze...other markets get more engine choices. GM is an international company, they can't put their head in the sand and focus on one declining market, they have to go where the growth is...

Every car GM will make will have taylored drivetrains, suspension and options for each and every market. The main systems and styling will be nearly the same as to save cost.

The Tesla is based on a Lotus because Lotus needs the money.

Not to stray off topic, but I don't think that's true at all.

The Tesla is based on the Lotus because Tesla couldn't do it themselves.

It was much cheaper for Tesla to go out and buy an existing platform than it was for them to build their own. The big OEMs can generally spend at least $1 billion on an all-new chassis. If Tesla had had to do that, we'd be having the "Hey, remember Tesla?" conversation.

Look at all the trials and tribulations (and cash they are blowing through) just trying to get the Model S to reality.

You'd rather GM release a vehicle to the largest, most competitive car market only to potentially have one small issue magnified out of proportion causing the media, and public to immediately discard the vehicle as inferior and say GM IS TEH GUVMENT SUXOR MOTORRZ? What on Earth is wrong with GM using other markets as test-cases? If anything, this means they place a HUGE degree of importance on the American car market, because they want the car to be perfect at launch so American consumers won't have any first year reliability woes and the car will debut to positive reviews.

This is true.

GM after chapter 11 can not afford any mistakes as the media and critics of the loans would be all over it. Ford is right now the media darling taking the title from Toyota. The media as we have seen can make or break a company even on unproven issues like the did with Audi.

The trials overseas are a smart thing as it will save a lot of bad press. If anything does go wrong in China who will ever know here?

Um OK, well the Cruze is far from perfect.

Not to stray off topic, but I don't think that's true at all.

The Tesla is based on the Lotus because Tesla couldn't do it themselves.

It was much cheaper for Tesla to go out and buy an existing platform than it was for them to build their own. The big OEMs can generally spend at least $1 billion on an all-new chassis. If Tesla had had to do that, we'd be having the "Hey, remember Tesla?" conversation.

Look at all the trials and tribulations (and cash they are blowing through) just trying to get the Model S to reality.

Note I said dance partners. Tesla needed Lotus for what they could not do on their own goes with out saying. But Lotus need funds from Investors, Technology Development, and sales including selling off chassis.

The development cost of a car far exceeds what Lotus can do on their own. This is nothing new as they have used Engines from so many automakers as they could not afford it themselves.

Lotus needs to share cost anyway and where they can. It was not all that long ago they were using GM air bags in cars with Toyota tail lights to save money.

All companys are looking to save cost and they all will do it in many ways of buying, selling and sharing products and development cost of items. The needs change depending on the player involved.

Tesla needs the car and Lotus needs the money. See both benifit from the dance.

Edited by hyperv6

The Daewoofication of Chevrolet is complete. It kinda sucks how Ford goes to Europe to source for their global sedans, whereas Chevrolet goes to their lowly, less-experienced Korean subsidiary, leaving Germany for Buick. The Cruze, Sonic, Spark, etc. all have a distinctly GM-DAT persona.

Also, I'm not sure it's very accurate to say GM is releasing the Malibu in the export markets first to "work out the kinks" or whatever.

I'd have to ask around a little about the real reason, but I tend to think that isn't it.

What other reason is that you think they would be doing this? Is it just because they need new product there.

Or could it be because of the name change to Chevy world wide? New product to go with the new branding?

Also, I'm not sure it's very accurate to say GM is releasing the Malibu in the export markets first to "work out the kinks" or whatever.

I'd have to ask around a little about the real reason, but I tend to think that isn't it.

It was the declared reason for the Cruze. Reuss said as much when he decided to push the Cruze launch back in the U.S.