Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Next-gen Malibu Still A Year Off For the U.S.

The Daewoofication of Chevrolet is complete. It kinda sucks how Ford goes to Europe to source for their global sedans, whereas Chevrolet goes to their lowly, less-experienced Korean subsidiary, leaving Germany for Buick. The Cruze, Sonic, Spark, etc. all have a distinctly GM-DAT persona.

Yet again. The Malibu is using an Opel tuned chassis and styled in the U.S. It is not a GM-DAT product. Chevy's smaller stuff like the Sonic and Spark are.

Well, since the 1960 Corvair, GM has been stung with the charge that their small cars come to market underdeveloped. Maybe this is their way of trying to mitigate the problem.

So, like... Honda. They've stopped selling the Civic as too large for Japan, and the American Accord has been divergent for years. Where are those cars sold for a year to work out the bugs before US intro?

I'm not sure what the reason would be.

The "working out the kinks" thing seems sort of questionable though.

You're talking about plants, and more importantly, different parts suppliers that are, quite literally, worlds apart.

The door switch supplier in China might make great switches. The supplier in Ohio might mess them up. Or the other way around.

It kinda sucks how Ford goes to Europe to source for their global sedans

Ford NA has the engineering lead for CD4.

Note I said dance partners. Tesla needed Lotus for what they could not do on their own goes with out saying. But Lotus need funds from Investors, Technology Development, and sales including selling off chassis.

The development cost of a car far exceeds what Lotus can do on their own. This is nothing new as they have used Engines from so many automakers as they could not afford it themselves.

Lotus needs to share cost anyway and where they can. It was not all that long ago they were using GM air bags in cars with Toyota tail lights to save money.

All companys are looking to save cost and they all will do it in many ways of buying, selling and sharing products and development cost of items. The needs change depending on the player involved.

Tesla needs the car and Lotus needs the money. See both benifit from the dance.

Well, let's just say Tesla needed Lotus way more than Lotus needed Tesla.

Don't forget Lotus isn't just a car company. Their engineering arm does all sorts of work for all kinds of companies. Lotus did a ton of R&D work on GM's Ecotec engines.

Don't forget Lotus isn't just a car company. Their engineering arm does all sorts of work for all kinds of companies. Lotus did a ton of R&D work on GM's Ecotec engines.

isn't that their primary revenue stream?

Hey Chris! Nice to see you around.

I don't really get why the next Malibu is another year off. I doubt the current car will get a refresh it needs to stay competitive before then. The Malibu was near the top of the class when it came out only 3 years ago, but the competition has moved on, especially the Fusion and Sonata. If the Avenger has upped the ante with a powerful new V6, more refinement, better interior, and better handling.

isn't that their primary revenue stream?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess Lotus Engineering brings in more money than the sale of their sports cars, the race cars or the race team.

I don't really get why the next Malibu is another year off. I doubt the current car will get a refresh it needs to stay competitive before then. The Malibu was near the top of the class when it came out only 3 years ago, but the competition has moved on, especially the Fusion and Sonata. If the Avenger has upped the ante with a powerful new V6, more refinement, better interior, and better handling.

Hi, thanks.

Yea there is no way the current model will get a refresh.

Yeah... I'd love to see a 2012 Malibu coupe and wagon. There's an Insignia wagon, why can't there be a Regal and Malibu wagon? Yes, the Magnum is off the market, and the CTS is a luxury car, but I see a good number of Jetta wagons... because they're useful, they serve the wagon purpose. Not to mention lots of older wagons still on the road because those folks cannot buy a suitable replacement.

I can absolutely convince my wife on a regal wagon right at this moment in time

IF it were available right now. We've reached the point right now where that would be a fantastic car for us and we could put the large 3 row out to pasture for awhile.

But where is it? I am guessing 3 years before they bring it here.

Also, I'm not sure it's very accurate to say GM is releasing the Malibu in the export markets first to "work out the kinks" or whatever.

I'd have to ask around a little about the real reason, but I tend to think that isn't it.

my guess is they are just filling out the current Bu on a planned term model cycle, inclusive of all prior agreements and arrangements made regarding the manufacturing plant, and labor, and retooling, and all of that.

the current Bu is only stale by this time, its not been rotting. i think they could have given it some tweaks and a new interior to keep it fresh for 2 more years. But GM became believers that a 4 year life cycle or whatever is better than a 6 year. If the car is ready for another market first I see no harm in selling it elsewhere if the current model's life cycle is already short.

one other key reason the current car does not get a refresh is that it is not capable of supporting NAV on its current electrical architecture or something without incurring big expense. that is why the bu / aura etc. never had nav and why they got charred for it..........

one other key reason the current car does not get a refresh is that it is not capable of supporting NAV on its current electrical architecture or something without incurring big expense. that is why the bu / aura etc. never had nav and why they got charred for it..........

Highly doubt it. One all those models the Nav is it's own module the fits right in where the "black tie" radio fits. The 9-3 for example, has a black tie radio and an optional Nav that fits in the same slot. All that's required is a harness adapter and an antenna, which mounts inside the car. It's not an issue of GM couldn't they just didn't, either because at the time they thought OnStar was enough or for cost cutting reasons (which makes no sense).

• Agree 1

Highly doubt it. One all those models the Nav is it's own module the fits right in where the "black tie" radio fits. The 9-3 for example, has a black tie radio and an optional Nav that fits in the same slot. All that's required is a harness adapter and an antenna, which mounts inside the car. It's not an issue of GM couldn't they just didn't, either because at the time they thought OnStar was enough or for cost cutting reasons (which makes no sense).

sometimes you have to go to the other sites

if i could highlight anything with my computer for cut paste i would but instead i will just tell you to read the second paragraph which has been mentioned several times in many places regarding the Malibu, Aura,etc.

Also supposedly the Malibu does not have rear armrest for some reason that is bizarre as well.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

if i could highlight anything with my computer for cut paste i would but instead i will just tell you to read the second paragraph which has been mentioned several times in many places regarding the Malibu, Aura,etc.

Also supposedly the Malibu does not have rear armrest for some reason that is bizarre as well.

Very often, "that other site" can be just as wrong as we have been in the past.

This:

One of the major complaints of the current Malibu is the lack of navigation system. To clarify once again for everyone, navigation will NEVER be added to the current Malibu. The reason behind that is simple: the wiring structure of the Epsilon I platform that underpins the car does not support navigation and the costs to rewire the whole car exceed the potential return.

Is simply incorrect.

• Agree 3

Unless you have a more credible source, I don't buy it. For example, LH cars never came with a navigation unit from the factory, yet RB1 or RB4 navigation units from other Chrysler products, such as the last gen minivans and the Viper will fit right in and only require a wiring harness adapter on pre 2002 models and the antenna.

• Agree 1

So Ford with the CD4 platform and GM with the Epsilon2, being a big deal about putting the same platform under as many divergent products as possible to maximize investment is really all about catching up with Chrysler in 1984?

Well it's not like Epsilon II is the basis for a new minivan and sports car..... at the moment, it's still just a bunch of sedans.

You'd be right about the CD4 though.

Very often, "that other site" can be just as wrong as we have been in the past.

This:

One of the major complaints of the current Malibu is the lack of navigation system. To clarify once again for everyone, navigation will NEVER be added to the current Malibu. The reason behind that is simple: the wiring structure of the Epsilon I platform that underpins the car does not support navigation and the costs to rewire the whole car exceed the potential return.

Is simply incorrect.

gotta protect the baby i guess. GMI is not the only site i have read that on. It does sound like typical GM, I'm just sayin that's apparently why they never put NAV on the car. I also saw it in motor trend before too. hell, it was probably on this site a couple hundred times too.

again, it does sound like GM excuse making. but GM has built a long rep of making excuses. If there were another explanation out there would be a better way for you to debunk the credibility of that. Not just to say, 'that site is wrong'.

Edited by regfootball
  • Disagree 1

I also read on a bunch of websites that Cheers and Gears leaked a power train document for the upcoming Cadillac ATS. There are 131,000 entries for that on google now.... must be true.

Just because Nick said it, doesn't make it true.

The reason it's not true is that there are 4 Epsilon 1 cars, in 3 body styles, that come with NAV.

Saab 9-3 - Sedan, Wagon, Convertible

Opel Vectra - Sedan, Wagon

Cadillac BLS - Sedan, Wagon

Fiat Croma - Wagon

I also read on a bunch of websites that Cheers and Gears leaked a power train document for the upcoming Cadillac ATS. There are 131,000 entries for that on google now.... must be true.

Just because Nick said it, doesn't make it true.

The reason it's not true is that there are 4 Epsilon 1 cars, in 3 body styles, that come with NAV.

Saab 9-3 - Sedan, Wagon, Convertible

Opel Vectra - Sedan, Wagon

Cadillac BLS - Sedan, Wagon

Fiat Croma - Wagon

Nick is actually correct.

The 9-3,Malibu, and Vectra are on 3 different version of Epsilon I..

The only thing they really share is the name ''Epsilon''.

It's still the same base platform. It's a stereo wiring harness change and an antenna install. The only thing you wouldn't get is downloads from Onstar into the NAV unit for turn-by-turn.

In that regard, yes, Nick is correct about the lack of an Onstar interface, but for people willing to give up this functionality, there are those out there who have done the swap (on Pontiacs at least) successfully.

I'm not willing to give GM a pass on this one even though I prefer Onstar Turn-by-turn to a full NAV system.

• Agree 1

The engineering arm has been what has kept them alive for many years. I know about the Eco Turbo work as I have one.

Lotus was so bad off that they struggled when GM pulled out of the Opel Speedster deal. They had to make the Elise legal for the US market to make up for the production loss. They were worried if they did not find new markets to sell the car in they would have major money issues.

As it turns out the GM dropping of the Speedster and the new US market may have been the best thing for them.

Lotus has had many near death times and are still struggling to find the volume to keep the cash flowing in the car production side.

Porsche Engineering has also done a great deal of work for many companies. Even GM has used them.

It's still the same base platform. It's a stereo wiring harness change and an antenna install. The only thing you wouldn't get is downloads from Onstar into the NAV unit for turn-by-turn.

In that regard, yes, Nick is correct about the lack of an Onstar interface, but for people willing to give up this functionality, there are those out there who have done the swap (on Pontiacs at least) successfully.

I'm not willing to give GM a pass on this one even though I prefer Onstar Turn-by-turn to a full NAV system.

Exactly. This is no more complex than putting in an aftermarket in dash nav system. They don't rewire the whole body harness to install it.

CIMG1104.JPG

And, shockingly, he didn't have to rewire the entire car to do it.

• Agree 1

Exactly. This is no more complex than putting in an aftermarket in dash nav system. They don't rewire the whole body harness to install it.

And, shockingly, he didn't have to rewire the entire car to do it.

Looks to be too low in the center stack to be useful.

EVEN IF, there was rewiring work to do, wiring harnesses are not all one piece. Even my '81 Olds breaks apart into 4 major sections with subsections under that. There is no way GM would have needed to "rewire the whole car".

Here are the many complicated things you need to install an RB1 in a 2002+ LH.

103177-md.jpg

Like I said, putting a Nav system in the Malibu is easy, especially since the center stack isn't integrated like on say, the LaCrosse.

1. Disconnect Battery
  2. Remove trim panels necessary to access radio screws.
  3. Remove square Radio
  4. Plug in adapter harness and receiver antenna
  5. Put it back together
  6. Reconnect battery

So a GM unit could easily be installed at the factory.

• Agree 1

for one, GM hung its whole hat on OnStar and has buttloads of money invested in it over years. They are not going to sacrifice putting it in their cars in lieu of another technology if its one or the other. GM has so much money and time building the OnStar brand.

The other comment about the screen too low in the dash, also is completely the case.

What I've read is that GM didn't feel the investment would pay off in terms of all the work that would be needed. That would include a center stack redo.

That Malibu is a high volume, low margin car. Even though I thought it was entirely cheesy, I am believing that they chose not to do it because they did not feel there would be cost payback. I think the fact that they still have barely integrated OnStar old plus new NAV units also plays in.

They sort of had the chance to be real innovators in that regard, to marry the OnStar with true NAV Screens. They kind of didn't become the leading edge on that.

When the wagon circles back around it comes down to, it was too expensive, and too hard to do.

For GM.

Edited by regfootball
  • Disagree 1

I've heard the Saab is so different that the car has virtually no commonality with the vectra / malibu. Saab changed so much stuff it basically became its own car.

What do you mean Onstar and the new NAVs aren't integrated?

the new ones are, that is only very recent. but that is exactly the point. to redo the auras and 08+ malibus right after they had just brought them out, they did not want to do.

that's why i said they were hardly leading edge.

Edited by regfootball

I've heard the Saab is so different that the car has virtually no commonality with the vectra / malibu. Saab changed so much stuff it basically became its own car.

I remember hearing this as well...when it came to the G6 convertible, they had to do all kinds of modifications because the 9-3 and G6 weren't similar enough

for one, GM hung its whole hat on OnStar and has buttloads of money invested in it over years. They are not going to sacrifice putting it in their cars in lieu of another technology if its one or the other. GM has so much money and time building the OnStar brand.

The other comment about the screen too low in the dash, also is completely the case.

What I've read is that GM didn't feel the investment would pay off in terms of all the work that would be needed. That would include a center stack redo.

That Malibu is a high volume, low margin car. Even though I thought it was entirely cheesy, I am believing that they chose not to do it because they did not feel there would be cost payback. I think the fact that they still have barely integrated OnStar old plus new NAV units also plays in.

They sort of had the chance to be real innovators in that regard, to marry the OnStar with true NAV Screens. They kind of didn't become the leading edge on that.

When the wagon circles back around it comes down to, it was too expensive, and too hard to do.

For GM.

That's all the excuses GM made. Tell me the one about how I drink the kool-aid again?

• Agree 1

That's all the excuses GM made. Tell me the one about how I drink the kool-aid again?

That isn't excuses.If Epsilon I went as perfectly, and smoothly as you want to believe(you're 110% percent entitle to believe that), then there wouldn't have been an all new Epsilon II after one generation.

It's something called Reality....

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM
  • Disagree 5

That isn't excuses.If Epsilon I went as perfectly, and smoothly as you want to believe(you're 110% percent entitle to believe that), than there wouldn't have been an all new Epsilon II after one generation.

It's something called Reality....

uhm, I'm not implying that Epsilon went that smoothly at all. I expect GM to make improvements to platforms regularly. I also expect them to make improvements so vast that they become a whole new platform. The current Malibu is the second generation of Malibu to ride on the Epsilon 1 platform.

All I am saying is that adding a full NAV system to the current Malibu wasn't the project that Nick claims it was. No, rewiring the whole car would not be required. Wiring harnesses are segmented for that reason.

• Agree 3

GM could have made the NAV optional and done the work to put it in. But in the long run how many people buying Bu's really would have ponied up the money to buy it. Some but not as many as some would like to think.

Just look at all the Equinox on the road and how few pick up the NAV option. I can count on one hand the NAVs I have seen in the new Nox and I have seen a ton of them. I see more V6 Nox than ones with Nav.

I am sure they will work it into the new model as an option at a price structure where they can make money with it as a low volume option.

Most Chevy cars are not loaded up on options. They sell many LS and LT1 cars that lack many things you would get standard on a Buick and Cadillac. When it comes to options a Nav unit is easy to leave off to save money as most buyers do to keep the monthly payment down.

I do feel GM needs to offer them but don't expect more than 15% if even that of the new Malibu's to have them. The main key is for Chevy to be able to offer it at a resonable price and still make money. Right now the Nox NAV and Video systems cans add a lot to the price of the vehicle. Not the kind of price for the average Malibu buyer to bite on.

Edited by hyperv6

Can someone help me understand what the NAV acronym stands for? If it just means "nav" then why the capitalization?

Navigationally Automatic, version V (5).

Seriously? Does it really matter that people are capitalizing it? If you really want to nitpick, it's an abbreviated word and deserves a period like "nav."

• Agree 1

ok, let me clarify.

I agree with you. I am not absolving them of not doing it. I am merely telling you, that was the most prominent and widely referred to reason that was given that they did not.

If you want me to demonstrate not drinking the Kool Aid then i will say what i actually feel on the matter.

It was pathetic and pitiful that GM / OnStar were not leaders in NAV, here's why. With telematics already in place (OnStar), GM being the largest mfr should have been in the innovator position and been the very first manufacturer to integrate telematics with the visual screen. the fact that ford began the in car sound tech revolution is a double punch in the gut.

So my opinion is this, I am less worried about GM lying or being cheesy about whether they offered the NAV screens across the board and why it took so long as I am abut the EPIC FAIL and complete loserness of it to not race to the lead and tying OnStar with Full NAV screen and complete integrations with traffic services and all of that. I would have also expected GM to offer in car wifi by now too, but again Ford beats them to the punch on that. GM also was late with bluetooth and USB.

So like hyper says at like 2 grand or whatever, the NAVS are going to have a very small take rate. Ideally GM should have found a way to popularize the NAV and get the cost down fast so that they could offer it at say 300 bucks a pop where the guaranteed take would have been over 50%, and if it WERE tied to an OnStar service, would have increased the take rate on OnStar as well.

I will even go a step further and say that GM should have brought lots of mobile funtionality to the market before the smartphone makers did.

As far as the ROI not being the reason on the NAVs in the Malibu, yes, at the price they wanted to charge I can understand why they did it then. I just think they should have looked at it in a completely different and aggressive paradigm. But hey Red Ink Rick was in charge then......

I think another factor to consider. NAV is evolving so fast. GM maybe needed to make sure they had head units that would handle software and or hardware upgrades several years into the future.

I know myself I probably would rather velcro an iPad to the dash anyways. For music and NAV.

Edited by regfootball

I think we are currently in the final generation of NAV systems where having to buy $90 map DVD updates is semi-acceptable. I should be able to pull up to a Panera, connect to their Wifi, and download any map updates I need... or tether to my Android phone... or via bluetooth... or... well you get the point.

I agree with you Reg. I think the investment to get the NAV system into the Malibu, Aura (especially), and G6 was a necessary evil for GM. All of the components were there already. There was already a link developed between Onstar and the Black Tie Nav units, it was there in the Lucerne, the GMT360s (pre-Black Tie) and GMT800s. Even if it didn't come out in the original boxy Malibu, the 2008 redesign was so extensive that there is no good reason to not include it.

Navigationally Automatic, version V (5).

Seriously? Does it really matter that people are capitalizing it? If you really want to nitpick, it's an abbreviated word and deserves a period like "nav."

No I was just asking if there was a reason everyone here capitalizes it. Can't say I really see it anywhere else on the internet, and unless it stands for something, it shouldn't be typed like an acronym. But no, I was actually asking legitimately what NAV stood for because this is GM we're talking about and they love their acronyms...CHMSL anyone?

...and -2 for asking a question? Jesus Christ...

• Agree 2

I think we are currently in the final generation of NAV systems where having to buy $90 map DVD updates is semi-acceptable. I should be able to pull up to a Panera, connect to their Wifi, and download any map updates I need... or tether to my Android phone... or via bluetooth... or... well you get the point.

I agree with you Reg. I think the investment to get the NAV system into the Malibu, Aura (especially), and G6 was a necessary evil for GM. All of the components were there already. There was already a link developed between Onstar and the Black Tie Nav units, it was there in the Lucerne, the GMT360s (pre-Black Tie) and GMT800s. Even if it didn't come out in the original boxy Malibu, the 2008 redesign was so extensive that there is no good reason to not include it.

GM should have been the defacto leader in the rollout of NAV in the automotive industry. to do that means it should have been extended to their best selling models and most accessible priced segments. Not just all the expensive models.

in essence, their financial reasons for not putting them in the BU then lead me to classify the failure as a financial and management problem. and as we all know that is not at all rare to GM. GM simply never tried hard enough to make the numbers work. They did not invest enough into it and did not leverage their prior telematics superiority.

EPIC FAIL.

Edited by regfootball

Smart phones and I pads will rule the new cars and with web access will improve what can be done. It has already started. Live traffic updates and real sat maps with overlays will be very common. No more recalcuating.

I think GM was just hard pressed to save money were ever they could while also tring to sell people on On Star. They push the direction on there as a prime feature. The only time I used it they could not tell me how to get the GM Goodwrench race shop of RCR. Go figure.

I did the old fashion thing and read the road signs and found it anyway.

I just hope GM keeps upto date on the smart phone intergration and web access as this is the new hot button and it is so able to do more than just give directions. This area will expand fast.

Just look at how well sync is doing for Ford. Technology sells. The time has come where the car with the larger hard drive will sell better than the larger cubic inch engine.

I just would like to see GM lead with a very good system and make it very affordable so it will be in most cars not just a few high end models.

Edited by hyperv6

The system in the Verano looks promising. They were already showing Apps with it like Pandora.

Now if you can get a Grindr app for your car.....

Just think off all the Apps we could or may see. Most can not even imagine what we will see.

We already have Apps for code scanners for the car. The way I see it On Star needs to adapt and make use of these in the future or other will render them useless.

We already have 30 gig hard drives but with the new memeories in the phones and pads it will climb very fast.

Your car, TV, Computer, Phone, internet, audio, video, banks, work, weather radar and much more will all be linked into one single unit and will all work together.

Once wireless networks are available in more cities they all will work so fast and be so capable.

The nav system will be like the old Pong games in the near future.

Before long we will be posting on C&G driving down the road with a voice translator. I already have group of guys doing a lot of web chat tech work verbally and not have a need to type much.

Edited by hyperv6

I guess someone will buy it...I miss my '72 Chevelle MALIBU 350 Convt. - That was a Malibu -

• Agree 2

I guess someone will buy it...I miss my '72 Chevelle MALIBU 350 Convt. - That was a Malibu -

This man speaketh the truth.

Yeah, and it was a family car then, just like the one today is...

People complain about GM ridding itself of nameplates with cachet, but then they complain that the vehicles of today are somehow not worthy of the name itself. Seriously, it's a Malibu. Plus, compared to all the Malibu's released since 1973, the current car is actually doing the name a huge favor.

• Agree 1